Thread: Duante Wright shot by police in Brooklyn Center, MN resulting in protests

Duante Wright shot by police in Brooklyn Center, MN resulting in protests

https://www.fox9.com/news/officers-d...yn-center-minn

BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. (FOX 9) - A man died Sunday after he was shot by police and then shortly after involved in a vehicle crash in Brooklyn Center, the police department reports.

Law enforcement did not confirm the victim's identity Sunday, but protesters were calling for justice in the death of a man named Daunte Wright during demonstrations.

Upon learning of the death, protesters gathered at the scene before moving to Brooklyn Center's Police Headquarters where they faced tear gas and flash bangs from law enforcement seeking to control the crowd. After midnight, Mayor Mike Elliot announced a 1 a.m. to 6 a.m. Monday curfew in the city.

In an early morning news conference Monday, Department of Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington said the Minnesota National Guard has been full activated and mobilized in the Twin Cities metro area. He said the Guard's presence will be "robust" over the next "two or three days."

More information on the shooting is expected to be released at 11 a.m.

The shooting
    Police say the situation started just before 2 p.m. when officers tried to stop a vehicle for a traffic violation on the 6300 block of Orchard Avenue. During the stop, police say they learned the driver had an outstanding warrant and attempted to take him into custody, but the man got back into the vehicle.

As the man got back into the vehicle, police say an officer fired their gun, hitting the driver. It's unclear why the officer fired shots.

Despite being hit, police say the man was able to drive several blocks away before hitting another vehicle. Police say they attempted to revive the driver who was shot, but he died at the scene. A passenger in the other vehicle was transported to the hospital for treatment but is expected to survive.

The BCA is now investigating the shooting. Brooklyn Center police say officers were wearing cameras that appear to have been active during the incident.

After the shooting, a tense situation developed near the shooting scene. Over the course of the afternoon, a large crowd of about 100 people - including family members of the person who was shot - gathered.

Around 7 p.m., some members of the crowd tore down police tape and advanced towards a line of officers wearing riot gear with some climbing onto police vehicles blocking the street. In response, officers advanced towards the vehicles and pushed the crowd back.

Protesters move to the police department
    As police left the scene of Sunday's shooting around 8 p.m., protesters followed officers, moving from the area of 63rd Avenue North and Kathrene Drive to the Brooklyn Center Police Department on North Humboldt Avenue.

At the department, a group of people gathered on Humboldt and used garbage cans and other objects to create a makeshift barricade. Vehicles also blocked traffic as protesters gathered in the roadway to call for justice in the shooting.

Initially, no police were seen around the building. However, around 9 p.m., as some protesters move towards the police building, officers in riot gear pulled up and began encircling the building.

After 10 p.m. Sunday night, police deployed flash bangs and tear gas to disperse the crowd. Law enforcement used tear gas at least three times and flash bangs at least twice while ordering protesters to disperse Sunday night.

Reactions
    In statements to Twitter Sunday, the Mayor of Brooklyn Center and the Governor of Minnesota both addressed the shooting.

In a tweet, Gov. Tim Walz said he is "closely monitoring" the situation and said he and his wife are "praying for Daunte Wright's family as our state mourns another life of a Black man taken by law enforcement."

Mayor Mike Elliot called the shooting "tragic" and urged protesters to be peaceful in the aftermath. He also called on police to not use force against peaceful protesters.

The American Civil Liberties Union also issued a statement about the Brooklyn Center shooting Sunday, calling the details of the incident "troubling."

"The ACLU of Minnesota calls for an immediate, transparent and independent investigation by an outside agency other than the Brooklyn Center Police or the BCA, and for the quick release of any bodycam footage. We call for the naming of all officers and agencies involved."

Brooklyn Center schools, transit, roads affected
    In reaction to the protests following the shooting, Metro Transit suspended serivce to and from the Brooklyn Center Transit Center Sunday night.

Just after 10:30 p.m. Sunday night, Brooklyn Center Schools announced it would close all of its buildilngs Monday, April 12 and have school remotely instead.

"We are focused on taking steps in the moment," said Superintendent Dr. Carly Baker. "I haven?t entirely processed the tragedy that took place in our community and I?m prioritizing the safety and wellbeing of our students, families, staff members and community members."

Baker then said, "Tomorrow, our staff will be focused on the needs of our students. We know our community experienced trauma and we need the time and space to process."

Anoka-Hennepin Schools announced school is canceled for Champlin-Brooklyn Park Academy, Evergreen Park, Monroe and Oxbow Creek elementary schools and students at Jackson Middle School and Champlin Park High School have been moved to distance learning temporarily.

Osseo Area Schools also announced all Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park schools will move to distance learning Monday.

Authorities also announced the closure of the exit to Humboldt Avenue from Hwy. 100 north. Additionally, traffic in the area was being diverted to I-694 Sunday night. The ramps from Hwy. 100 northbound and southbound to 57th Avenue were also closed Sunday night.

Brooklyn Park Police station 'shot up'
    In addition to the unrest in Brooklyn Center following the deadly police shooting, police in Brooklyn Park told FOX 9 the police headquarters in the neighboring city was "shot up" around 8 p.m. Sunday.

Police said nobody was injured in the shooting, but that multiple rounds were shot through the department's glass front doors. Some rounds reached the lobby.

Daunte Wright is the alleged victim but that is yet to be verified.

[QUOTE=raisedbywolves;3813501]https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...out&li=BBnb7Kz

police chief says officer intended to use Taser[/QUOTE

It's bullshit at this point nobody in minnesota believe in this excuse anymore.

If one wants to look at the fallout of Minnesota today we have to go back to the LAPD in the Rodney King era. The problem here is that either the current police officers were not born yet or they were too ignorant to understand that we are still impacted by that era today.

https://kstp.com/news/bca-identifies...oting/6073236/

Monday night, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension identified the officer who shot and killed 20-year-old Daunte Wright in Brooklyn Center Sunday.

The BCA identified the long-time veteran of the Brooklyn Center Police Department as Officer Kim Potter.

Potter is on standard administrative leave.

On Monday, the police chief said he believed that the shooting was accidental and that the officer thought she fired her taser instead of her handgun.

The city released body camera footage of the shooting at a press conference but did not name the officer.

The shooting has led to widespread unrest and calls for the officer's immediate termination.

Potter has worked for the department for nearly 25 years and is president of the Brooklyn Center Police Officer's Association. In that role, she has represented other officers involved in deadly shootings.

According to an investigation by the Hennepin County Attorney's office, Potter was one of the first officers to arrive after police shot and killed Kobe Dimock-Heisler in 2019.

Investigative records show Potter advised the officers during the early stages of the investigation and was present when one officer gave his statement. Those officers were eventually cleared of any wrongdoing.

Stay with 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS and KSTP.com for updates on this developing news.
    Update officer Kim Potter has been named as the accused for killing Duante Wright (20) during a police stop.

Last edited by up2trouble; 04-12-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Minnesota mayor takes control of police department following cop shooting of Daunte Wright

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ngy-story.html

Brooklyn Center’s city council voted to give control of the 31,000-person town’s police department to Elliot after the night of unrest that followed the shooting death of Daunte Wright during an afternoon traffic stop. A police officer who meant to use her Taser on Wright appeared to have inadvertently shot the young man with a handgun instead, Brooklyn Center’s police chief said.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    It's like a broken record. Except nobody corrects the needle and over and over again a POC loses their life along with everyone that loved them knowing that their lives didn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

This is keeping me up tonight. Honestly.

They're out there wondering why there are riots when THEY HAD EVERY CHANCE IN THE WORLD to make this right and blatantly ignored those chances.

Tamir Rice
    Breonna Taylor
    COUNTLESS OTHERS

Where nobody was held accountable. And you've got a pile of bodies to show for it. So FUCK YES they're angry and anyone would be.

I'm saying it right here and now. The most prolific serial killer in America?

THE COPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    This is keeping me up tonight. Honestly.

They're out there wondering why there are riots when THEY HAD EVERY CHANCE IN THE WORLD to make this right and blatantly ignored those chances.

Tamir Rice
    Breonna Taylor
    COUNTLESS OTHERS

Where nobody was held accountable. And you've got a pile of bodies to show for it. So FUCK YES they're angry and anyone would be.

I'm saying it right here and now. The most prolific serial killer in America?

THE COPS.
    Agreed. I kept my profile pic on FB up for so long and I have a feeling it will be there for a while, and it makes me sad. I feel like this will never end.

Not related to this thread, but did you see the video of the LT who was pepper sprayed by the cop? That made me rage!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Who are you talking about? The cops or politicians?
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

https://kstp.com/news/officer-kim-po...ation/6073932/

. Tuesday, Brooklyn Center officer Kim Potter and Police Chief Tim Gannon have resigned from their positions.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension identified Potter as the officer who shot and killed 20-year-old Daunte Wright in Brooklyn Center Sunday.

A release from the Law Enforcement Labor Services (LELS)—which reports itself as Minnesota's largest public safety labor union specializing in representing over 6,400 members throughout the state—stated Potter has submitted her resignation letter to city staff.

The letter, included with the release, is as follows:

Dear Mayor Elliott, Mr. Edwards and Chief Gannon:

I am tendering my resignation from the Brooklyn Center Police Department effective immediately. I have loved every minute of being a police officer and serving this community to the best of my ability, but I believe it is in the best interest of the community, the department, and my fellow officers if I resign immediately.

Sincerely,

Officer Kim Potter

During a Tuesday afternoon news conference, Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott announced Gannon has also submitted his resignation.

Watch the news conference via the player below:

The resignations were submitted two days after Wright's death during a traffic stop.

Monday evening, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office reported Wright died of a gunshot wound to the chest. The medical examiner declared the manner of death a homicide.

During a news conference Monday, Gannon said the officer, later identified as Potter, "drew their handgun instead of their Taser" during the stop.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/13/98686...-wright-resign

The Police Chief of Brooklyn Center, MN has resigned.

Kim Potter, the Brooklyn Center, Minn., police officer who shot and killed Daunte Wright, has resigned. Potter had served 26 years on the force before the fatal encounter Sunday where officials said she mistakenly fired her handgun instead of her Taser.

Police Chief Tim Gannon, who on Monday released the body camera footage and characterized the shooting as an "accidental discharge," has also stepped down.

Protests Grow In Minnesota And Around U.S. Over Death of Daunte Wright
    AMERICA RECKONS WITH RACIAL INJUSTICE
    Protests Grow In Minnesota And Around U.S. Over Death Of Daunte Wright
    Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott announced the resignations at a news conference Tuesday.

"We're hoping that we're turning over a new leaf now," Elliott said.

Potter, who had previously served as president of the local police union and whose duties included training other officers, had initially been placed on administrative leave, but pressure had grown from community members to fire her. Critics had raised questions of how someone responsible for police training could have mistaken a Taser for a handgun.

Elliott said that he had not asked for her resignation, though on Monday he did express support for her firing.

"I'm hoping that this will help bring some calm to the community," he said. "Although I think ultimately people want justice. They want full accountability under the law, so that's what we're going to continue to work for."

The mayor also called on Gov. Tim Walz to transfer criminal prosecution to the state attorney general's office, rather than have the case handled by a county prosecutor. The governor took that step last May when he appointed Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison as lead prosecutor on the Derek Chauvin case.

"This case requires that the attorney general steps in and prosecutes this case," Elliott said, alluding to "sensitivities revolving around this case."

The moves come after the Brooklyn Center City Council passed a resolution Monday evening in support of relieving Potter and Gannon of their duties. It also passed motions to give the mayor "command authority" over the city's police department and to fire the city manager, who previously had responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the police department.

Brooklyn Center is among the small but growing number of Minnesota municipalities where a majority of residents identify as nonwhite.

Three decades ago, Brooklyn Center was more than 90% white, according to the Census Bureau. Today, just 38% of Brooklyn Center residents say they are white alone, while nearly 30% are Black.

The police department has not kept pace. In 2015, Brooklyn Center reported in a survey conducted by The Star-Tribune that its police force was 87% white.

At Tuesday's news conference, the mayor said that none of the force's roughly 49 sworn officers live in Brooklyn Center, a dynamic he vowed to work toward changing.

"There is a huge importance to having a significant number of your officers living in the community where they serve," he said. "It helps infuse knowledge of the community into policing, and I think that can only help to enhance the work of the officers, and it can only help to make their jobs better or easier."

In the interim, the city has appointed 19-year veteran Tony Gruenig to be acting police chief.

"The acting chief here has spent a lot of time working in the community, working with the community. He's someone who knows Brooklyn Center well," said Elliott. "He, probably more than any other person in the department, has a very strong commitment to working directly with the community to help resolve issues."

https://www.startribune.com/officer-...ght/600045829/

Update Officer Kim Potter has been arrested for the shooting of Daunte Wright.

Former Brooklyn Center police officer Kimberly A. Potter was arrested late Wednesday morning at the offices of the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, the agency said in a statement.

Potter, who resigned from the police department on Tuesday, was charged with second-degree manslaughter in the shooting death on Sunday of Daunte Wright, the Washington County Attorney's Office said.

She was booked into Hennepin County jail shortly after noon, jail records show. Potter posted $100,000 bond and was released from custody Wednesday evening.

A court appearance is scheduled for Thursday afternoon. Potter is being represented by attorney Earl Gray, who was not immediately available for comment.

Attorney Ben Crump, who said he has been retained by Wright's family, issued a statement Wednesday with co-counsel Jeff Storms and Antonio Romanucci in response to the charges.

"While we appreciate that the district attorney is pursuing justice for Daunte, no conviction can give the Wright family their loved one back," the statement said.

"This was no accident. This was an intentional, deliberate, and unlawful use of force," the statement read. "Driving while Black continues to result in a death sentence. A 26-year veteran of the force knows the difference between a Taser and a firearm."

A second-degree manslaughter charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison or a $20,000 fine or both.

Minneapolis defense attorney Barry Edwards said statutory maximum sentences don't mean much, as judges instead follow guidelines from the state Sentencing Guidelines Commission. In the case of someone with no prior felonies facing a second-degree manslaughter conviction, the presumptive and more likely sentence would be four years, he said. And even then, a judge may consider probation instead of prison.

"If it were my client, I would argue for probation … and expect a good chance of winning," Edwards said.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman referred the case to Washington County Attorney Pete Orput under a practice adopted last year among metro area county attorney's offices for deadly police shootings. It calls for the county attorney in the jurisdiction where the shooting took place to refer the case to one of the other counties, or the state Attorney General's Office, to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest.

The BCA investigated the shooting.

Potter, 48, joined the Brooklyn Center police force in 1995 at age 22. She was placed on standard administrative leave following the shooting.

Potter was training in a new officer on Sunday at about 2 p.m. when she and two officers stopped a car near N. 63rd and Orchard avenues in Brooklyn Center. Former Brooklyn Center police chief Tim Gannon, who also resigned Tuesday, told media that officers stopped Wright's car because it had an expired tag, and when they checked his name found he had a warrant.

Hennepin County District Court records show a warrant was issued April 2 for Wright after he failed to make his first court appearance on a case filed in March of carrying a pistol without a permit, a gross misdemeanor, and fleeing police, a misdemeanor.

In bodycam footage released by the Brooklyn Center Police Department, Wright is seen getting out of his car during the stop and standing near the open driver's door as one of the officers pulls out handcuffs. A few moments later, Wright starts to struggle with the officers and gets back into his car. Potter shouts "Taser!" three times before firing a single bullet, then says "Holy shit. I just shot him."

With Wright in the driver's seat, the car pulls away. The car crashed a short distance away when it hit another vehicle. Wright died at the scene. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office said Wright died of a gunshot wound to the chest and labeled his death a homicide.

Potter's arrest marks at least the third time that a U.S. law enforcement officer faced or faces criminal charges for killing someone in what they claim or what appears to be a mix-up between a gun and a Taser.

A 73-year-old volunteer reserve deputy in Oklahoma was charged with second-degree manslaughter in the 2015 death of Eric Harris. Bay Area Rapid Transit police officer Johannes Mehserle was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in a jury trial and sentenced to two years in prison for the 2009 shooting of Oscar Grant III. A third such deadly mix-up that resulted in the 2002 death of Everardo Torres did not lead to criminal charges against the officer.

Law enforcement on Tuesday erected concrete barricades and tall metal fencing around the perimeter of Potter's multilevel home in Champlin. Two police cars guarded the driveway behind fortified fences marked with signs reading "Caution: Lasers in Use." Her street was lined with paper "No Parking" signs and blocked to nonresidential traffic. Motorists entering the area were greeted by a buzzing cellphone alert from local police to "expect protest activity in your neighborhood over the next few days."

At the home of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin last spring, protesters defaced his property in the aftermath of George Floyd's death, scrawling "Murderer" in red paint on the driveway.

Staff writer Liz Sawyer contributed to this report.

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    Who are you talking about? The cops or politicians?
    The police, politicians, judges, local goverments. Basically the people that continue to protect these murderers.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...6-06d2da3a78ae

BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. — Members of the Brooklyn Center community are calling for police reform and changes to the structure of city government after the fatal shooting of Daunte Wright at the hands of police.

Mayor Mike Elliott and Rep. Ilhan Omar stood in solidarity with a group of residents who organized a press conference Tuesday at the site where former Brooklyn Center officer Kim Potter shot and killed Wright during an April 11 traffic stop.

"We demand actionable systemic change on all levels," resident Matt Branch said. "We demand justice, we demand peace from the police, we demand accountability."

Branch, who's a Minneapolis educator and youth outreach worker, specifically recommended a committee of civilians to oversee the Brooklyn Center Police Department. He acknowledged an existing proposal for a review board that includes active-duty officers, calling it unacceptable.

Branch also demanded a "transparent and easily accessible process for filing police complaints," as well as implementing an education and distribution process in tangent.

"If you don't know about a process, it does nobody any good," he said.

Lastly, Branch demanded a change in policing tactics.

"No more traffic stops for petty violations in the City of Brooklyn Center. No more using those petty violations in attempt to harass and look for other infractions," he said. "We demand to be seen, we demand to be heard and we demand to be respected and valued as human beings by the officers and the system."

Resident Protea Toles acknowledged the work the community has done to set up donation sites and direct resources to those in need.

"That is who we are and we deserve to feel safe and protected within our community," Toles said. "Unfortunately, many people in our community haven't felt safe in our community for a long time and many more don't feel safe right now. We need our local government to be restructured in a way that restores the sense of safety in our community."

She expressed a "long-standing concern" that the city manager isn't an elected position, and that whoever holds it isn't required to live in Brooklyn Center.

Toles called for the city manager to be a full-time position, and to include a staff person for the mayor. She also called for City Council members to be full-time roles.

"Making these changes to our local government will help to better reflect and magnify the voices of the citizens," she said. "Our elected officials need the resources to be able to implement the changes we need on a full-time basis. This will allow them to dedicate their time and attention to our city and the needs that we have as we work on a path forward from this tragedy."

Resident Stephen Cooper also outlined changes needed in Brooklyn Center, starting with improving community involvement in the city's decision-making.

Cooper called for more transparency in tracking arrests, and changes to use-of-force training.

"The City of Brooklyn Center on its website should publish the arrests by race," he said. "Are we arresting three Blacks for every white? Are we making traffic stops? That data should be there and if it's out of whack, there should be an accounting, and that accounting would let us look at, how come?"

Cooper also said that police use-of-force training only prioritizes the "feeling of safety for the officer," rather than the individual who's stopped or under arrest.

"There are so many great suggestions that have come from this community and also ones that have come from other communities – how to correct these problems. But it takes the commitment to do it," he said.

Rep. Ilhan Omar, who represents the congressional district spanning all of Minneapolis and several neighboring cities, attended the briefing Tuesday to uplift and center the voices of Brooklyn Center residents.

"Our community here in Brooklyn Center, and my district and our state and our country, is asking for us to take a leap of faith to say: The current policing system that we have is not doing anything to protect and serve," Omar said. "And so what will it take for us to have a system where we are all protected by? And what does it take for us to have the resources in our communities that would essentially provide the safety that we all need?"
    Protests for Police reform and racial discrimination reform is underway in Brooklyn Center as the Derek Chauvin verdict for Guilty has been announced.

The police, politicians, judges, local goverments. Basically the people that continue to protect these murderers.
    I agree

https://www.axios.com/kim-potter-dua...109eb8699.html

The city of Champlin, Minn., has spent more than $9,000 to erect a security perimeter protecting the home of Kim Potter, the former police officer who fatally shot 20-year-old Daunte Wright.

What's happening: Photos posted to Twitter show cement barricades, fencing and officers stationed outside Potter's suburban Twin Cities home. She faces manslaughter charges in Wright's death.

City spokeswoman Ashley Wagner told Axios that the city will seek reimbursement for the $9,236 in physical security costs "should a source become available."
    An estimate for the police staffing costs wasn't yet available, she added.
    What they're saying: Wagner said the security is needed to "protect against a fire in a residential neighborhood if anyone decided to carry through on threats and also to provide officers with a protected place in case of a violent crowd," noting protests in nearby Brooklyn Center.

Between the lines: Protesters have increasingly targeted homes of local politicians and law enforcement officials in the Twin Cities over the last year.

An August demonstration outside the home of former Minneapolis police union head Bob Kroll's Hugo home generated headlines and backlash after a DFL activist-turned-lawmaker referenced burning down the neighborhood.
    Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman sold his house and moved due to security threats following protests over his handling of charges against the officers involved in George Floyd's death.
    On Saturday, the Santa Rosa police department reported vandalism at the former home of Barry Brodd, a former officer and use-of-force expert who testified for the defense in the Derek Chauvin trial,

https://kstp.com/news/daunte-wright-...-stop/6083041/

The Daunte Wright funeral took place and yes it's a protest over the same type of shit that got Derek Chauvin convicted for the death of George Floyd.

. Daunte Wright, the young Black man shot by police during a traffic stop in suburban Minneapolis, was remembered Thursday at an emotional funeral just two days after a former police officer was convicted in the death of George Floyd and amid a national reckoning on racism and policing.

Hundreds of mourners wearing COVID-19 masks packed into Shiloh Temple International Ministries to remember Wright, a 20-year-old father of one who was shot by a police officer on April 11 in the small city of Brooklyn Center.

“The roles should be completely reversed. My son should be burying me,” Daunte's mom, Katie Wright, said before burying her hands in her face in her hands.

Daunte’s father, Aubrey, briefly took the microphone. When he passed it back, Katie Wright recalled her son becoming a father to a boy born prematurely: “He was so happy and so proud, and he said he couldn’t wait to make his son proud. Junior was the joy of his life. He lived for him every single day.”

Earlier, Ben Crump, attorney for both the Floyd and Wright families, asked attendees to stand and repeat the proclamation, "Daunte Wright’s life mattered.” Many raised their fists.

Crump has called for more serious charges against Kim Potter, the white officer who is charged with manslaughter in Wright’s death. Potter’s chief said he believed the officer, who has since resigned, meant to pull her Taser. But Potter should not have pulled any weapon, Crump said.

“At some point Daunte Jr. is going to get old enough to watch that video of how his father was slain so unnecessarily. A misdemeanor, a misdemeanor," Crump said. "It's too often the traffic stops end up as deadly sentences, a death sentence. We’re going to have to make sure that Daunte Jr. know that we stood up for Daunte, his father.”

As the service began, soloist Jovonta Patton and the Shiloh Temple Mass Choir brought the service to a rousing high, singing, “Before I’d be a slave, I’d be buried in my grave, and go home to my Lord and be free.” The lyrics are from a post-Civil War, Black freedom song titled, “Oh, Freedom!”

During a silent reading afterward of Wright’s obituary, some attendees could be heard crying softly.

And in performances that brought attendees to their feet, artist Ange Hillz painted a portrait of Wright — white paint on a black canvas — as trumpeter Keyon Harrold played “Amazing Grace” and “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing,” the Black national anthem. Hillz executed similar portraits of Floyd, at his funeral, and of Breonna Taylor, a Black emergency medical worker who was shot five times by white Louisville, Kentucky, officers in March 2020 as they served a warrant.

The Rev. Al Sharpton, the civil rights leader, was to deliver the eulogy, and told The Associated Press that he would first pay tribute to Wright, “a young man just at the beginning of life, full of life.”

He said he would also use his remarks to remind those in attendance or watching from afar that the fight for justice didn’t end when white former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty of murder and manslaughter for holding a knee to Floyd’s neck, choking off his breathing until he went limp last May.

“We should not think that, because we won one battle with Chauvin, the war is over, or that if we do not get justice for this case, that we will undo what we were able to do with George Floyd," Sharpton said.

The families of several other Black people killed by police attended Wright's funeral, including the mothers of Philando Castile, who died after being shot by a police officer during a traffic stop in a Minneapolis suburb in 2016, and Eric Garner, who was filmed saying “I can’t breathe” in a fatal 2014 encounter with New York City police.

Also attending were the families of Oscar Grant, a Black man killed in 2009 by a California transit officer who mistook his service weapon for a stun gun, similar to the Wright case, and of Emmett Till, the teenager whose 1955 lynching in Mississippi helped spark the Civil Rights Movement.

U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Gov. Tim Walz and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey also attended.

More than a dozen members from an armed team of local men, the Minnesota Freedom Fighters, provided security.

Wright’s killing set off protests in Brooklyn Center, a working-class, majority nonwhite city, with hundreds of people gathering every night for a week outside the city’s heavily guarded police station. While the mayor called for law enforcement and protesters to scale back their tactics, the nights often ended with demonstrators lobbing water bottles and rocks at the officers, and law enforcement responding with pepper spray, tear gas and rubber bullets.

The police chief said it appeared from body camera video that the officer who shot Wright used her pistol when she meant to use her Taser. The white officer, 26-year veteran Kim Potter, is charged with second-degree manslaughter. Both she and the chief resigned soon after the shooting.

Wright was pulled over on a Sunday afternoon. His mother said he called her to say he was stopped for having air fresheners hanging from his rear-view mirror — a traffic violation in Minnesota. Police said he was stopped for having an expired car registration.

The shooting occurred when a scuffle broke out as police tried to arrest Wright, after realizing he had an outstanding warrant for failing to appear in court on charges of fleeing police and having a gun without a permit.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/...r-mother-says/

. MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Daunte Wright’s girlfriend, Alayna Albrecht-Payton, who was in the car earlier this month when a Brooklyn Center police officer fatally shot her boyfriend, suffered a fractured jaw during the police encounter, her family says.

Albrecht-Payton’s mother, Danielle Albrecht, says her daughter’s jaw was broken and required surgery following the encounter on April 11, which she described as a “brutal attack.” Danielle Albrecht created a GoFundMe page to help cover her daughter’s medical expenses.

“Alayna did nothing to deserve this!” she wrote on the GoFundMe page. “This kind of treatment is sick…inhumane! Protect and serve? Isn’t that what the police are supposed to do? Sadly they don’t and sadly more lives continue to be lost!”

Attorney Robert Bennet, who is representing Albrecht-Payton, says his client’s jaw was wired shut as a result of her injuries. He added that Albrecht-Payton is also suffering from the emotional trauma of witnessing her boyfriend’s violent death.

Bennet said he intends to take legal action and that he’s requested all body-worn camera footage of Albrecht-Payton’s interactions with officers.

Wright, a 20-year-old Black man, was fatally shot during a traffic stop by former Brooklyn Center police officer Kim Potter, who is white. The department’s former police chief said that Potter, a 26-year-veteran of the force, meant to use her Taser on Wright, but accidentally fired her gun instead.

Wright was initially stopped for expired tags, but officers tried to arrest him for a gross misdemeanor weapons warrant. As officers attempted to handcuff him, Wriight pulled away and got into the driver’s seat of his car. Body-worn camera footage shows Potter yelling “Taser, Taser” before shooting Wright with her firearm. Wright drove a short distance with Albrecht-Payton in the passenger’s seat before crashing. Wright died at the scene soon after.

Wright’s death sparked days of protest outside the Brooklyn Center Police Department. The shooting also raised tensions in the Twin Cities as it occurred during the trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who on Tuesday was found guilty of murdering George Floyd in May 2020.

Potter, 48, is charged with one count of second-degree manslaughter in Wright’s death. She was booked into the Hennepin County Jail but released after posting a $100,000 bond.

Family, friends and community members began to say goodbye to Wright Wednesday. Mourners lined up to pay their respects next to his casket at Shiloh Temple in Minneapolis. Civil rights attorney Ben Crump spoke, vowing to help get justice for Wright’s family.

“We’re standing here making a solemn pledge: Katie and Aubrey and to all the Wright family — you won’t be fighting alone,” Crump said.

Rev. Al Sharpton, who also spoke at Wednesday’s service, will deliver the eulogy at Wright’s funeral Thursday. It starts at noon, and WCCO will stream it live on CBSN Minnesota

https://www.gofundme.com/f/alaynas-a...ource=customer

A go fund me has been released on the surviving victim of the Brooklyn Center police shooting incident. She comes forward on how the brutality went down.

MINNEAPOLIS – The day Daunte Wright was laid to rest, a small group of demonstrators gathered outside prosecutor Pete Orput's suburban home and, with microphones and a loudspeaker, demanded he file murder charges against the police officer who killed the 20-year-old Black motorist.

Orput, wearing a hoodie and khakis, stepped outside and attempted to explain why he had filed a manslaughter charge instead. After some arguing, Orput — visibly frustrated — finally ended it.

“I choose not to," Orput said of filing a murder charge. He thanked the group for being peaceful but said: “I won't give in to this.”

Wright was fatally shot April 11 by Kim Potter, who is white, during a traffic stop in suburban Brooklyn Center. Potter's body camera recorded her shouting “Taser! Taser!” before she fired, and the city’s former police chief said he believed she meant to use her stun gun.

People who know Orput, a former Marine who served in Vietnam before becoming a lawyer, describe him as fearless and willing to stand up for what he thinks is right.

He's “the kind of guy you want in the foxhole with you,” said Fred Bruno, a Minneapolis defense attorney. Bruno also described Orput as “very sensitive” and someone who “listens to all sides.”

Orput is just the latest prosecutor to feel the heat from activists who argue that killings of Black people by police are not charged seriously enough.

When George Floyd died in Minneapolis after being pinned by police last year, protesters hammered Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman for taking four days to file charges and then charging only Derek Chauvin with third-degree murder and manslaughter. Attorney General Keith Ellison took over the case, adding a second-degree murder charge against Chauvin and charging the other three officers.

Orput took Potter’s case under a year-old agreement in which Minneapolis-area prosecutors handle each other’s police-involved deaths. Protesters want Ellison to take it over, but he's said he has confidence in Orput.

As he talked with the protesters outside his Stillwater home, Orput was grilled by Nekima Levy Armstrong, a civil rights attorney and activist who told Orput he would have charged Potter with murder if Wright had been white. Orput seemed wounded, shaking his head: “I wish you knew me,” he said. “You wouldn't say that.”

Later, in an interview with The Associated Press, Orput said such insinuations are hurtful, but he's not angry about it because it's not true. He said he feels that being a prosecutor “is what God wanted me to do.”

"And I’ve taken full advantage of the opportunity, I hope,” he said. “I just love being a prosecutor. … Fairly holding people to account on behalf of victims is what I love about it.”

Many legal experts say the manslaughter charge fits what's known of Wright's death.

F. Clayton Tyler, a Minneapolis defense attorney, said he thought Orput did the right thing. Orput could have filed a third-degree murder charge, Tyler said, but proving it is “a whole different ballgame.”

Orput, 65, grew up in St. Paul and joined the Marines after high school. As a lawyer, he has worked many jobs, including as a prosecutor in Hennepin County, handling robberies, weapons and homicides. He also worked as general counsel for the state prison system and as a deputy attorney general.

Now in his third term as Washington County prosecutor, Orput has been working on a program that provides addicts with drug treatment, no questions asked. He was instrumental in setting up a special court for veterans in trouble with the law, and he has been working to keep the mentally ill out of jail and to get rid of the county's cash bail system. His office also made child sex trafficking and exploitation cases a priority.

If Potter's case goes to trial, Orput said he and Imran Ali, Washington County's assistant criminal division chief, will handle it.

Longtime friend Peter Ivy said Orput is quick-witted and good at trial.

“If you are not telling the truth on the stand, he will expose you," said Ivy, chief deputy county attorney in Carver County.

Perhaps Orput's biggest case in recent years was that of Byron Smith, who killed two teenage cousins who broke into his home in 2012. Smith was convicted of premeditated first-degree murder.

The trial featured chilling audio recordings in which Smith taunted the teens as they died and called them “vermin.” Orput told jurors that Smith laid in wait for the teens – setting up a perch that Orput described as a “deer stand.”

“He saw things in that case that a lot of people didn’t know about,” Bruno said. “When he found out this guy was hunting these kids like deer, that really did it for him.”

Orput also has gone after police officers. In 2002, he won arson convictions against a former police chief.

But his critics say he’s never charged an officer with murder. Murder charges against officers are rare nationwide, including in Minnesota, where only two have been convicted of murder, including Chauvin.

Critics say Orput could have brought murder charges in the 2015 death of Marcus Golden, who was fatally shot by two St. Paul officers after police said he drove a car at them. Orput said the incident was tragic but shouldn’t be confused with other high-profile shootings in which police were accused of using excessive force on minorities.

“This is not one of those cases,” Orput told Minnesota Public Radio News at the time. “I know folks want to pigeonhole it into that, but it’s not.”

Orput was diagnosed last year with Parkinson's disease and, after a doctor told him to simplify his life, stepped down from a commission examining state sentencing guidelines. He said the disease hasn't affected him much, although stress can trigger symptoms. “If I stay Zen, I'm usually OK,” he said.

Orput told the AP he could not talk about the Potter case — but that he would not cave to public pressure.

“That would be a complete sellout of my values and everything I’ve worked for.”

___

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/na...ed-by-critics/

Yeah, same as you. If they're a minority or a female, they get convicted easily.

Yeah, same as you. If they're a minority or a female, they get convicted easily.
    Huh. I thought it was just my cynical nature that caused me to think that...
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

It's interesting that high profile cases get pushed through trial fairly quickly.
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

I'm glad she was found guilty. Yes, she didn't mean to kill him but her reckless actions caused his death. You can't make those kinds of mistakes when you're a police officer.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

She'll be out in a few months with time served. Despicable.

Thread Information