Thread: Erik Mezick's (47) body was found on a beach in North Carolina, 4 months after his truck plunged off the side of the Chesapeaks Bay Bridge-Tunnel

Erik Mezick's (47) body was found on a beach in North Carolina, 4 months after his truck plunged off the side of the Chesapeaks Bay Bridge-Tunnel

I thought we had a thread from when this happened back in December, but I can't find it. If anyone can find it let me know and I will combine the two...but maybe I just remember reading about it in the news.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/..._headlines_hed

The body of a Maryland man whose truck plunged off the side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel in December was found Friday on a beach in North Carolina, according to his relatives.
    Article from when it happened:

https://richmond.com/news/state-and-...47e3ee698.html

Authorities have called off the search for the driver of a truck that went off the side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel on Tuesday morning.

The Virginian-Pilot reported Wednesday evening that Erik Mezick, 47, of Fruitland, Md., had not been not found.
    These bridge tunnels used to freak me out when I lived up in that area. I hated driving on them.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-23-2022 at 05:46 PM.

I think of a tunnel as enclosed so the fact that there is a bridge tunnel combo freaks me out and confuses me as to how he plunged off the side...?

I hate bridges. The one I had to drive to get to San Fran and out scares me so bad....it's not narrow or anything but the water seems so close. Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I think of a tunnel as enclosed so the fact that there is a bridge tunnel combo freaks me out and confuses me as to how he plunged off the side...?

I hate bridges. The one I had to drive to get to San Fran and out scares me so bad....it's not narrow or anything but the water seems so close. Hate.
    Here is what it looks like:

There are wind restrictions for vehicles traveling on it, especially trucks. I found a great article the other day about the barriers and how they can't contain trucks, but now I can't find it. I will keep looking and post if I find it, but it explained a lot for me. There are a lot of these bridges and tunnels in that area, and they are all creepy to me.

I remember reading a story sometime in the last year about how one of the tunnels in that area started filling with water during the morning commute. OMG. I don't ever want to drive in those kind of tunnels again. The worst bridge I have been on is the Sunshine Skyway, the one where everyone commits suicide. It is soooo tall. You can feel it move as you drive over it. Nope, not doing that again either, I will take the long route to avoid it.

Wait, you literally go under the water?!?!?! NO.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Here is what it looks like:

There are wind restrictions for vehicles traveling on it, especially trucks. I found a great article the other day about the barriers and how they can't contain trucks, but now I can't find it. I will keep looking and post if I find it, but it explained a lot for me. There are a lot of these bridges and tunnels in that area, and they are all creepy to me.

I remember reading a story sometime in the last year about how one of the tunnels in that area started filling with water during the morning commute. OMG. I don't ever want to drive in those kind of tunnels again. The worst bridge I have been on is the Sunshine Skyway, the one where everyone commits suicide. It is soooo tall. You can feel it move as you drive over it. Nope, not doing that again either, I will take the long route to avoid it.

Nope. Not crazy about the tunnel, or the ssb either.

This bridge is one I cross occasionally and I hate it, mainly because I know it's two old bridges duct taped together. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chambe..._South_Dakota)

Then there's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKocnNvCrEQ doesn't look like much, but it just goes on forever. We used to cross it going from Baton Rouge to NO and it was always worrisome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Nope. Not crazy about the tunnel, or the ssb either.

This bridge is one I cross occasionally and I hate it, mainly because I know it's two old bridges duct taped together. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chambe..._South_Dakota)

Then there's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKocnNvCrEQ doesn't look like much, but it just goes on forever. We used to cross it going from Baton Rouge to NO and it was always worrisome.
    NOPE, just NOPE on that first bridge.

I know the 2nd bridge well. When I picked up my dog from Houston in 2019 we drove back across that bridge. Then two months later when I went and picked up the hairless chow, that was supposed to be my dog and ended up being my foster, I drove out there and back over that bridge. It's spooky IMO.

And I went back and looked and it was actually a tunnel in Baltimore, another place I spent a lot of time when I lived up that way, that filled with water. Ugh.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/...IZ3RYU3B7AB6A/

Nic,

I couldn't find the actual article I was reading on Saturday, but this article talks about the winds and the fact that they can't make the guard rail strong enough to hold vehicles on the road if they hit it very hard.

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/ne...fety/98191766/
    Safety questions: Big rigs in high winds on bridge-tunnel

And just for fun, this article talks about what to do if you go over the side of a bridge.

https://www.pilotonline.com/ask/arti...f6551ec89.html
    Here's what to do if you drive over the side of one of Hampton Roads’ bridge-tunnels

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Yours truly lived in Hampton Roads for half my life. We used to love the HRBT because it was the quickest way to get to the beach.

It is not common AT ALL for people to go off the side, because in order to do that, you have to be out of lanes of traffic completely, and on the side of the road or on the embankment. I have never, until today, read that this was even a thing.

The biggest worry you have at the bridge/tunnel is just one of the segments of concrete failing and billions of gallons of seawater come crashing down on you. No biggie.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Yours truly lived in Hampton Roads for half my life. We used to love the HRBT because it was the quickest way to get to the beach.

It is not common AT ALL for people to go off the side, because in order to do that, you have to be out of lanes of traffic completely, and on the side of the road or on the embankment. I have never, until today, read that this was even a thing.

The biggest worry you have at the bridge/tunnel is just one of the segments of concrete failing and billions of gallons of seawater come crashing down on you. No biggie.
    Makes me even more glad I live where I do, where none of that shit is a thing here. Oh, and no hurricanes, tornadoes, snow....lol.

Thread Information