Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Florida woman pulled from storm drain says she wandered through tunnels for 3 weeks

Florida woman pulled from storm drain says she wandered through tunnels for 3 weeks

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...n4i-story.html

A Florida woman who was found naked inside a storm drain this week says she had been trapped underground for three weeks after venturing into a tunnel.

The woman told police she was swimming in a Delray Beach canal on March 3 when she opened a door that led her to a series of tunnels. She eventually got lost and wandered through the dirty tunnels for weeks until she ended up in a drainage ditch near a busy road, according to a police report obtained by the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

The 43-year-old woman, whose name is being withheld because of her mental health and addiction issues, was rescued Tuesday after a passerby heard her screaming for help. Firefighters were called to the scene and had to use a ladder and a harness to get the unclothed woman to the ground in a surreal scene that remains a mystery to local officials.

'I know they are trying to find out if the story does match,' Delray Beach Mayor Shelly Petrolia told the Sentinel on Wednesday. 'The story is so bizarre. But people should know better than to go into the sewer system... This is not the action of a rational person.'

Fire officials said the sewer system is filled with garbage, dirt, rats and even snakes.

'Anything that's on the street that washes into a sewer, and it smells terrible,' said Delray Beach Fire Rescue spokeswoman Dani Moschella.

It's not clear if the woman ate anything while trapped underground, but she told police she found an unopened bottle of ginger ale, according to the report.

It also appears that she left a note to her family a day before she went missing saying she needed to leave to go find herself. Investigators believe she may have gotten into the tunnels through a canal located at a golf course about a mile from her boyfriend's home. The canal is owned and maintained by the Florida Department of Transportation.

I have been watching this story for the last couple of days and I think there's more to it.

First of all, you don't swim in canals in Florida. They are full of stormwater runoff which included snakes, rodents, trash, etc and might even have alligators in them.

Secondly, her mom said she was an addict with mental illness and had been known to do really crazy things in the past, but that she wasn't sure her daughter had been down there that long.

The police said they doubted that she had been in the drain/tunnel the whole time. They said she didn't look like she had gone that long without eating anything more than the ginger ale.

I think I was reading this on Orlandosentinel.com, but it's behind a paywall and I have met my limit on articles, so I can't look to see if that's where I read this; maybe someone else can look at it.

From Orlando Sentinel:

DELRAY BEACH ? No one knows how she ended up in a storm drain or how long she was trapped.

She cried out for help, yelling a few feet from rush hour traffic off Atlantic Avenue. Someone passing the storm drain on Southwest 11th Avenue heard her and called 911 about 9 a.m. Tuesday.

?She was lucky,? said Delray Beach Fire Rescue spokeswoman Dani Moschella. ?I don?t know how much longer she would have been OK down there. The idea that somebody might be down there for any length of time is disturbing. It?s dirty, dangerous, there?s snakes, rats, garbage, dirt and leaves, anything that?s on the street that washes into a sewer, and it smells terrible.?

Officials did not release her name but said she was reported missing to the Palm Beach County Sheriff?s Office on March 3. And it appears she had been stuck in the storm drain for a while.

She was too weak to stand up on her own. Fire rescue officers hoisted her from the 8-foot deep drain using a ladder and a harness. She had dirt all over her skin, leaves in her hair, scraped knees, and she wasn?t wearing any clothes, Moschella said.

fficials haven?t been able to figure out how on earth she got down inside the drain. The entrance is too small for an adult to fit through, Moschella said.

Police don?t suspect any foul play, said Delray Beach Police spokesman Ted White.

?From the police department standpoint, we don?t believe there was any type of crime committed,? he said. ?It doesn?t feel like she was taken against her will. It appears this was done by her own free will.?

Officers talked with the woman, but she was weak and delirious. She looked to be in her early 40s, Moschella said.

?She claims that she?s been in the storm drain for a significant amount of time,? White said. ?The biggest question is how long she has been in there, how did she get in there and why??

Officers suspect she got inside the storm drain from another location and aren?t sure how she ended up there, White said.

?It?s pretty difficult to get into a storm drain where she was found,? he said. ?You?d have to pull up that huge heavy grate. This is one of the most bizarre situations our officers have ever experienced.?

A small crowd had gathered around the scene, and people cheered when she was lifted out, Moschella said. Officers held up sheets to shield her from the crowd and cameras, she said.

First responders evaluated the woman, put her on a stretcher and took her to Delray Medical Center.
    That was the only one I found.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I have been watching this story for the last couple of days and I think there's more to it.

First of all, you don't swim in canals in Florida. They are full of stormwater runoff which included snakes, rodents, trash, etc and might even have alligators in them.

Secondly, her mom said she was an addict with mental illness and had been known to do really crazy things in the past, but that she wasn't sure her daughter had been down there that long.

The police said they doubted that she had been in the drain/tunnel the whole time. They said she didn't look like she had gone that long without eating anything more than the ginger ale.

I think I was reading this on Orlandosentinel.com, but it's behind a paywall and I have met my limit on articles, so I can't look to see if that's where I read this; maybe someone else can look at it.
    Whole thing is pretty whack. We (my cousins and I) spent a good part of one summer scampering through the storm sewers... but they were brand new, workers were in the process of installing them so they were mostly dry and clean. Ended up getting trapped by the workers and hauled home for endless lectures and we were all grounded till they got the drains (which were too small for us to enter) installed. Some people just don't want people to have fun.

But I can imagine that if you got lost in a actively in uses storm drain, you'd probably lose track of time pretty quickly. So a day or two might seem like weeks. But yeah who the hell swims in canals in Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Whole thing is pretty whack. We (my cousins and I) spent a good part of one summer scampering through the storm sewers... but they were brand new, workers were in the process of installing them so they were mostly dry and clean. Ended up getting trapped by the workers and hauled home for endless lectures and we were all grounded till they got the drains (which were too small for us to enter) installed. Some people just don't want people to have fun.

But I can imagine that if you got lost in a actively in uses storm drain, you'd probably lose track of time pretty quickly. So a day or two might seem like weeks. But yeah who the hell swims in canals in Florida.
    We did the same thing in our small town sewer drains...but this was in a place that gets about 8 inches of rain a year, no alligators and the drains were clean and empty.

The story Nic posted isn't the same one I saw yesterday. I will look further and see if I can find it. Basically everyone seemed to be expressing doubt that she had been in the drain system that long. Like you said though, one or two days down there would seem like weeks to me!

We did the same thing in our small town sewer drains...but this was in a place that gets about 8 inches of rain a year, no alligators and the drains were clean and empty.

The story Nic posted isn't the same one I saw yesterday. I will look further and see if I can find it. Basically everyone seemed to be expressing doubt that she had been in the drain system that long. Like you said though, one or two days down there would seem like weeks to me!
    Right. We get maybe 15-20 inches, no gators and well, snakes can be found anywhere... I can't even imagine how gruesome the drains are in a more swampy area.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Weird that one article says she appeared to be there for some time, then another says the exact opposite.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Right. We get maybe 15-20 inches, no gators and well, snakes can be found anywhere... I can't even imagine how gruesome the drains are in a more swampy area.
    This is the (dry right now) canal in front of our house that carries stormwater to the drains. I took this pic the other day when I was out there mowing around the canals.

Yeah, I'm not getting in any kind of stormwater canals in Florida.

Is there a picture of her anywhere? Because, seriously, she sounds like marriage material to me. My picker is so bad that my children have asked me to please not date until they are adults and out of the house.

No way she was down there for 3 weeks. She wouldn't still be alive.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Yup, sadly that's my type...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilzAdvocate View Post
    Oh, so you like the crazy. Ron was like that when he was here. If you ever go missing we'll look for you down the storm drains.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilzAdvocate View Post
    Have you checked your local storm drains for a new girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    storm drain match making

storm drain match making

I think I found a new hobby. :D

She's back! DevilzAdvocate, looks like you aren't doing too good of a job of checking the storm drains!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...id=mailsignout

Woman Rescued from Texas Storm Sewer Months After Reportedly Being Found Naked, Spending Three Weeks in Florida Storm Sewer
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-12-2022 at 12:14 PM.

She's back! DevilzAdvocate, looks like you aren't doing too good of a job of checking the storm drains!

Woman Rescued from Texas Storm Sewer Months After Reportedly Being Found Naked, Spending Three Weeks in Florida Storm Sewer
    Wait...What!!?? wow

Again!?! Seriously?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Well if she goes missing a third time, they will know where to look.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    What is WRONG with this chick?
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    She has a FB: https://www.facebook.com/lyndsey.kennedy.96

Someone asked, 'Is this stuck in the drain Lyndsey'?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    She has a FB: https://www.facebook.com/lyndsey.kennedy.96

Someone asked, 'Is this stuck in the drain Lyndsey'?

Also, sorry DA. According to her Facebook she's taken.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

WHERE IS DEVIL'S ADVOCATE?! He's missing out!

WHERE IS DEVIL'S ADVOCATE?! He's missing out!
    I moved on. The "Gorilla Glue Girl" has a brighter future...

Thread Information