Thread: Republican Candidate Mitt Romney: Stupid Pet Owner

Republican Candidate Mitt Romney: Stupid Pet Owner

The man strapped his dog to the roof of a car for family trips.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/29/AR2007062900693.html

BOSTON (AP) _ An example of Mitt Romney's crisis management approach has turned into something of a political problem for the Republican presidential contender.

Romney placed his family dog, an Irish setter named Seamus, into a kennel lashed to the top of his station wagon for a 12-hour family trip from Boston to Ontario in 1983. Despite being shielded by a wind screen the former Massachusetts governor erected, Seamus expressed his discomfort with a diarrhea attack
    Now the story, recounted this week in a Boston Globe profile of Romney, has touched off howls of outrage from bloggers and animal rights activists even though it was presented in the story as an example of Romney's coolness under trying circumstances.

When Romney's eldest son, Tagg, and his four brothers complained about the brown runoff down the back windshield, their father quietly pulled the car over, borrowed a gas station hose and sprayed down both the dog and the kennel before returning to the road.
    Massachusetts animal cruelty laws specifically prohibit anyone from carrying an animal `in or upon a vehicle, or otherwise, in an unnecessarily cruel or inhuman manner or in a way and manner which might endanger the animal carried thereon,'" wrote Steve Benen in a post on the blog "Crooks and Liars."

Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, told Time magazine's "Swampland" blog: "If you wouldn't strap your child to the roof of your car, you have no business doing that to the family dog!"

Romney dismissed any outcry about the 24-year-old incident, saying the dog enjoyed his rooftop perch.

"He scrambled up there every time we went on trips," Romney said at a campaign stop in Pittsburgh Thursday. "He got it all by himself and enjoyed it."

UGH.  Need I say more?  I'd shit on him too.

Re: Republican Candidate Mitt Romney: Compelling Reasons not to vote for him

:lol:

I love the reason people come up with to not vote for someone...especially a conservative.  :lol:

Bush can't spell, has bad grammar, sucks at speeches, so he is a shitty president?

This is a bit harsh to do to a dog, but fuck, I put my dogs in the bed of my truck, inside a kennel for a 3 hour drive to the lake.  Does that make me a bad person?    I'm sure that he pulled over to let the dog have water, and use the shitter.  This is retarded.  Especially since it happened in 1983. 

Since when is it against the law for someone to make a mistake?  Gah, its not like he tied the fucking dog to the bumper, and took the 12 hour trip.

/rant  :)

[quote author=Budweiser Drinker link=topic=8495.msg439393#msg439393 date=1183156044]
    :lol:

I love the reason people come up with to not vote for someone...especially a conservative.  :lol:

Bush can't spell, has bad grammar, sucks at speeches, so he is a shitty president?

This is a bit harsh to do to a dog, but fuck, I put my dogs in the bed of my truck, inside a kennel for a 3 hour drive to the lake.  Does that make me a bad person?    I'm sure that he pulled over to let the dog have water, and use the shitter.  This is retarded.  Especially since it happened in 1983. 

Since when is it against the law for someone to make a mistake?  Gah, its not like he tied the fucking dog to the bumper, and took the 12 hour trip.

/rant  :)
    [/quote]

It's more the mind set that it represents, like his utter inability to say "In retrospect, that was shitty idea.  Quite literally, a shitty one." 

Putting your dog in the back of a truck is not at all the same as putting it on the ROOF of a car.  It's an animal, not a christmas tree.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=8495.msg439398#msg439398 date=1183156206]
    It's more the mind set that it represents, like his utter inability to say "In retrospect, that was shitty idea.  Quite literally, a shitty one." 

Putting your dog in the back of a truck is not at all the same as putting it on the ROOF of a car.  It's an animal, not a christmas tree.

[/quote]

I think it is a shitty idea, but hell if the dog enjoyed it why not?  Not saying that I would do such a thing.  I guess what I am really trying to say, is that it just pisses me off that people go digging for shit like this, and then try and use it as a reason to persuede voters not to vote for the person.

Like I said, it was almost 25 years ago.  I am sure there are better things to worry about, about any presidential candidate than shit like this.  JMO :)

Re: Republican Candidate Mitt Romney: Stupid Pet Owner

[quote author=Budweiser Drinker link=topic=8495.msg439405#msg439405 date=1183156602]
    I think it is a shitty idea, but hell if the dog enjoyed it why not?  Not saying that I would do such a thing.  I guess what I am really trying to say, is that it just pisses me off that people go digging for shit like this, and then try and use it as a reason to persuede voters not to vote for the person.

Like I said, it was almost 25 years ago.  I am sure there are better things to worry about, about any presidential candidate than shit like this.  JMO :)
    [/quote]

Heh, that reminds me of when my brother would get drunk and throw guavas at my dog and say "But she likes it!" because she didn't eat his face.

I wouldn't not vote for someone based on something like that. I wouldn't vote for him because unless the world flips on its axis and up becomes down I will never vote Republican, but perhaps a title change needs to happen.

Re: Republican Candidate Mitt Romney: Stupid Pet Owner

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=8495.msg439408#msg439408 date=1183156753]
    Heh, that reminds me of when my brother would get drunk and throw guavas at my dog and say "But she likes it!" because she didn't eat his face.

I wouldn't not vote for someone based on something like that. I wouldn't vote for him because unless the world flips on its axis and up becomes down I will never vote Republican, but perhaps a title change needs to happen.
    [/quote]

That made my day.  +1

Your brother does that too?  :lol: 

Thread Information