Thread: Driver swerves to avoid falling couch in Florida, crashes and gets ticketed

Driver swerves to avoid falling couch in Florida, crashes and gets ticketed

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...m7m-story.html

It's an uncomfortable situation.

A woman driving on a Florida interstate swerved to dodge a couch that fell off a truck, and received a $166 ticket from state troopers while lying on a hospital bed after crashing.

Jake Singer and his girlfriend, who asked not to be identified, were driving home to Washington, D.C., on Feb. 20 after visiting family in Boca Raton, they told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. They made it about 90 miles north on I-95 when a couch fell out of a truck directly in front of them.

Singer's girlfriend swerved to avoid the couch, and the couple's car slammed into a median, according to the Sun-Sentinel. It flipped over, but Singer and his girlfriend escaped without serious injuries.

'People were hugging us and freaking out,' Singer told the Sun-Sentinel. 'The fact we were standing there, nobody could believe it, including us.'

No other vehicles were involved, and the truck carrying the couch continued driving as if nothing happened.

The couple were both rushed to a hospital, but they soon had an uninvited guest: a Florida Highway Patrol trooper, the Sun-Sentinel reported. Trooper Eric Flint handed them a $166 ticket for 'failing to drive in a single lane.'

'He gave us a ticket for basically swerving lanes while trying to avoid a couch that was flying at us on the highway,' Singer told the paper. 'We got so pissed.'

But a Florida Highway Patrol spokesman said the couple should've been further behind the truck to give themselves time to safely drive around any flying couches.

'You have to look at the totality of the circumstances,' trooper Yanko Reyes told the Sun-Sentinel. 'Remember, in Florida it is recommended to have at least a two-vehicle length between your vehicle and the vehicles in front of you because that way you have enough time to react in case something like this happens.'

Well that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information