Thread: Adopted woman's DNA reveals her dad is wanted for murdering his family in Maryland in 1976

Adopted woman's DNA reveals her dad is wanted for murdering his family in Maryland in 1976

https://mynbc15.com/news/nation-worl...ryland-in-1976

BETHESDA (WJLA) ? 23andMe DNA tests have provided a lot of information to people about their heritage since they became popular a few years ago.

For one woman in North Carolina, who was looking to learn more about her biological family after being adopted at birth, a test revealed that her father is on the FBI's Most Wanted list for the alleged murder of his entire family in Bethesda more than 40 years ago.

WECT reports that Kathy Gillcrist's test first matched her with a third cousin, Susan Gillmor, who happens to be a genealogist.

Gillmor was able to help Gillcrest deduce that her father is William Bradford Bishop, Jr., who the FBI says bludgeoned his wife, mother, and three sons to death on March 1, 1976, then transported their bodies to Columbia, North Carolina, where he buried them in a shallow grave and lit them on fire.

If Bishop is still alive today, he is 84 years old.

The FBI describes him like this:

"Bishop was, and may still be, an avid outdoorsman, camper, and hiker. He had extensive camping experience in Africa. He also enjoyed canoeing, fishing, swimming, jogging, tennis, skiing and riding motorcycles. Bishop enjoyed working out several times a week. He was also a licensed amateur pilot who learned to fly in Botswana, Africa.

Bishop has an American Studies degree from Yale University and a Master's Degree in Italian from Middlebury College in Vermont. He was known to read extensively and may have kept a diary or journal. A longtime insomniac, Bishop reportedly had been under psychiatric care in the past and had used medication for depression. He drank scotch and wine and enjoyed eating peanuts and spicy food.

Bishop was described as intense and self-absorbed, prone to violent outbursts, and preferred a neat and orderly environment."
    Last edited by up2trouble; 03-06-2021 at 04:04 PM.

I can't imagine how it would feel to find this out from your DNA test. I have such mixed feelings about these DNA tests in general.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I can't imagine how it would feel to find this out from your DNA test. I have such mixed feelings about these DNA tests in general.
    When I did 23andme, I opted out of a lot of the sharing stuff. I posted on FB what I was doing in case there were any family secrets that I missed so my cousins were forewarned.

I know adoptions are usually closed but I would assume they'd open it for this? Was she born after this happened? did her mom know what kinda man he was so she didn't want to keep it, or was she conceived in not so friendly conditions?

I've always wanted to do that kind of thing, but also not...I know who my dad is but he wasn't in my life much after young childhood, and honestly nothing would surprise me in his family but at the same time I don't know if I'd want to actually know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    I know adoptions are usually closed but I would assume they'd open it for this? Was she born after this happened? did her mom know what kinda man he was so she didn't want to keep it, or was she conceived in not so friendly conditions?

I've always wanted to do that kind of thing, but also not...I know who my dad is but he wasn't in my life much after young childhood, and honestly nothing would surprise me in his family but at the same time I don't know if I'd want to actually know.
    I was curious about it too. I did some searching and she was born before the kids he killed. I think she was 18 when this happened. Her Mom was like 17 when she had her and had more kids afterwards ... all were given up for adoption. I don't know if he even knew about her.

I did the Ancestry DNA thing because I was adopted and I wanted to know mynationality. I had a bet going with my father - he said I was probably Scandinavian and I told him my money was on European (England, specifically).

I was right. I'm English, Scottish and Irish.

I've also found my birth parents and six siblings. And a crapload of nieces and nephews. Quite a bit for someone who was raised as an only child to take in.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I did the Ancestry DNA thing because I was adopted and I wanted to know mynationality. I had a bet going with my father - he said I was probably Scandinavian and I told him my money was on European (England, specifically).

I've also found my birth parents and six siblings. And a crapload of nieces and nephews. Quite a bit for someone who was raised as an only child to take in.
    Did you reach out to them? If so, did it go well?

Did you reach out to them? If so, did it go well?
    Oh, yeah. I've talked to almost all of them many times. I met two of my sisters, too! It's gone really well so far.

Oh, yeah. I've talked to almost all of them many times. I met two of my sisters, too! It's gone really well so far.
    I'm glad it's gone well! I wonder about how I would feel if I did found out I had another family and whether I would reach out to them.

The whole DNA thing has also been a huge thing for my pet UID cases, I'm really happy that so many people are getting their names back.

I'm glad it's gone well! I wonder about how I would feel if I did found out I had another family and whether I would reach out to them.

The whole DNA thing has also been a huge thing for my pet UID cases, I'm really happy that so many people are getting their names back.
    This. It gives the family a bit of closure, fwiw, it maybe gets a killer off of the streets. So from that standpoint... yes it's a godsend. It may remove suspicion from innocent people, also good. I understand the worries about the downsides.

Some cousins of mine have spent an entire lifetime looking for a great uncle who "just disappeared" in the 30's. Answers would have been a blessing to them and there parents and grandparents. I have a great grandma who was adopted, and I'd love to know who her people were, but... I've had that kit sitting there waiting to be sent in for a long time and I just haven't done anything with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    https://mynbc15.com/news/nation-worl...ryland-in-1976

BETHESDA (WJLA) ? 23andMe DNA tests have provided a lot of information to people about their heritage since they became popular a few years ago.

For one woman in North Carolina, who was looking to learn more about her biological family after being adopted at birth, a test revealed that her father is on the FBI's Most Wanted list for the alleged murder of his entire family in Bethesda more than 40 years ago.

WECT reports that Kathy Gillcrist's test first matched her with a third cousin, Susan Gillmor, who happens to be a genealogist.

Gillmor was able to help Gillcrest deduce that her father is William Bradford Bishop, Jr., who the FBI says bludgeoned his wife, mother, and three sons to death on March 1, 1976, then transported their bodies to Columbia, North Carolina, where he buried them in a shallow grave and lit them on fire.

If Bishop is still alive today, he is 84 years old.

The FBI describes him like this:

"Bishop was, and may still be, an avid outdoorsman, camper, and hiker. He had extensive camping experience in Africa. He also enjoyed canoeing, fishing, swimming, jogging, tennis, skiing and riding motorcycles. Bishop enjoyed working out several times a week. He was also a licensed amateur pilot who learned to fly in Botswana, Africa.

Bishop has an American Studies degree from Yale University and a Master's Degree in Italian from Middlebury College in Vermont. He was known to read extensively and may have kept a diary or journal. A longtime insomniac, Bishop reportedly had been under psychiatric care in the past and had used medication for depression. He drank scotch and wine and enjoyed eating peanuts and spicy food.

Bishop was described as intense and self-absorbed, prone to violent outbursts, and preferred a neat and orderly environment."
    Sad to see her put in a mixed situation though given that on one hand she help solve a murder and on the other hand find out that her dad was the killer.

Are they your half siblings?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Theres a slight chance my dad isn't my dad. When I was 11 I was snooping around and found some letters between my mom and another man (no idea who he was, but he wasn't my 'dad') and the time would be right for my birth. Also, I am the odd one out between my blond brother and sister (even with our Native American mother) and look differently, and was always the black sheep of the family. Who knows.

I'm not willing to put my DNA out there for every corporation or person wanting to see it though. Our laws have not caught up with the current move for everyone doing DNA. Even if you opt to be anonymous on the results, it's not anonymous in their system and I fear it being used to discriminate for health and other reasons.
    Just curious what you're concerned about. Discriminate?
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I didn't know you were adopted. That's so cool that you got to connect with some peeps!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Just curious what you're concerned about. Discriminate?
    You're joking, right? I'll link the articles below because it's too long but first of all there is health discrimination concerns. There was this guy you might have heard of, his name was Trump, and he wanted to get rid of Obamacare. If we do these tests and they find some genetic health flaw, and they get rid of the pre-existing condition clause in the future, all this info if out there and you know insurance companies would jump right on it to deny insurance or raise the prices hugely.

Then, while it can be good it isn't foolproof, the familial DNA thing has fingered innocent people a few times. If it won't let you read due to subscription google the Angie Dodge case. This innocent guy was rooked into this case on the basis of familial DNA.

https://www.nola.com/article_d58a3d1...19719f6f0.html
    New Orleans filmmaker cleared in cold-case murder; false positive highlights limitations of familial DNA searching

Also, since I know how much you like him...are you going to become the new Saleen and follow me around and question me in every thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Are they your half siblings?
    Yup. Birth mom had an affair of which I was the result. She had two daughters at that time. Then a son after me.

Birth dad had 4 kids. So, my count was wrong - I have 7 half-siblings. I've only met two in person - the half sisters on my birth mom's side. Apparently they've been looking for me since they were teenagers and found out that I existed. Haha.

Funny thing is, a girl I knew in high school who dated a couple of my friends (and eventually married one) is my first cousin.

Yup. Birth mom had an affair of which I was the result. She had two daughters at that time. Then a son after me.

Birth dad had 4 kids. So, my count was wrong - I have 7 half-siblings. I've only met two in person - the half sisters on my birth mom's side. Apparently they've been looking for me since they were teenagers and found out that I existed. Haha.

Funny thing is, a girl I knew in high school who dated a couple of my friends (and eventually married one) is my first cousin.
    That's trippy! This is the concern with adoption...what if you had dated and married, her, lol? I've heard of several cases where something like that happened.

Thread Information