Thread: Mark Pavelich (63), miracle on ice gold medalist dead in mental health facility

Mark Pavelich (63), miracle on ice gold medalist dead in mental health facility

Mark Pavelich, a member of the "Miracle on Ice" 1980 Olympic hockey team, was found dead at a treatment facility in Minnesota, USA Hockey confirmed on Friday.

The cause of death was not immediately known. Pavelich was 63.

"We are saddened to hear about the passing of 1980 Olympic gold medalist Mark Pavelich," USA Hockey tweeted. "We extend our deepest condolences to Mark's family & friends. Forever a part of hockey history."

The (Minneapolis) Star Tribune first reported details about Pavelich's death. According to the newspaper, police were called to Pavelich's residence at the facility at about 8:30 a.m. local time on Thursday where he was found dead. He was last seen on Wednesday at about 8 p.m. at the facility, where he was receiving mental health treatment.

Pavelich was living at the facility after a court ruled he was unfit to stand trial for an August 2019 assault on his neighbor. Pavelich was charged with four felony counts for the assault, which left the victim with several broken bones.

The judge said that Pavelich "lacks the ability to rationally consult with counsel, is incapable of understanding the proceedings, and is incapable of participating in the defense due to mental illness or deficiency." Pavelich assaulted the neighbor with a metal rod.

Pavelich's sister, Jean Gevik, told the Star Tribune in 2019 that the family believed Pavelich might be suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

"Mark is the most kind and gentle person you'd ever know," Gevik told the newspaper. "This is a totally different guy." Gevik said that her brother had a history of concussions in the NHL.

Pavelich, a 5-foot-8 center, was an All-American at the University of Minnesota Duluth. He assisted on Mike Eruzione's game-winning goal that took down the heavily favored Soviet Union in the 1980 Olympics. Pavelich played in the NHL from 1981 to 1987 and in the 1991-92 season. He spent five seasons with the New York Rangers and also played for the San Jose Sharks and Minnesota North Stars.

"The New York Rangers are saddened to learn of the passing of Mark Pavelich," the Rangers said in a statement. "His determination, passion, and dazzling playmaking ability earned him the adoration of Rangers fans during his five-year tenure in New York. Mark helped inspire a nation through the integral role he played on the 'Miracle on Ice' team in the 1980 Winter Olympics. Our thoughts are with Mark's loved ones during this difficult time."
    https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...eam-found-dead
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I hadn't even thought about CTE before this. I guess I mostly just think about football and CTE, but it makes sense that he might have it.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/09/mark-p...-tragic-death/
    Yeah, the NHL didn't make helmets mandatory till June 1, 1979. So I suspect youth and college hockey weren't helmeted for a good portion of Pavelich's playing time. And it's such a high contact sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Hockey is such a rough sport and those who played without helmets really got their brains knocked around. This story is sad.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

'Miracle On Ice' Hockey Legend Mark Pavelich Died by Suicide, Officials Say

https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/06/mark-...cide-team-usa/

The death of Team USA hockey legend Mark Pavelich -- a key part of the "Miracle on Ice" team -- has been ruled a suicide, officials announced.

The 63-year-old died on March 4 at the Eagle's Healing Nest in Minnesota -- where Pavelich had been undergoing court-ordered treatment as part of a 2019 assault case.

After a thorough investigation, the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office issued a statement Monday saying Pavelich "died of asphyxia due to a plastic bag over head. The manner of death is suicide."

Pavelich -- who famously made the assist on the game-winning goal to beat the Russians in the 1980 Olympics -- had been battling mental health issues in recent years.

In fact, during his assault case -- stemming from a violent altercation with a neighbor -- the ex-hockey star was diagnosed with PTSD and multiple clinical psychologists found him to be both mentally ill and dangerous.

One psychologist testified Pavelich suffered from "mild neurocognitive disorder due to traumatic brain injury with behavioral disturbance (psychotic symptoms, aggression)" -- and suggested the condition may have been caused by repeated hits to the head.

Pavelich's family had said they believe hockey was a major contributing factor to his brain injuries.

After his stint on Team USA, Mark spent 5 seasons with the NY Rangers -- followed by brief stints with the Minnesota North Stars and San Jose Sharks.

He retired from pro hockey in 1992.

Disney famously made a movie about the "Miracle On Ice" team in 2004 -- and Pavelich was played by actor Chris Koch.

If you or someone you know is struggling with depression or thoughts of suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

Thread Information