Thread: Adam Oakes (19) allegedly died after heavy drinking with Delta Chi fraternity at Virginia Commonwealth University

Adam Oakes (19) allegedly died after heavy drinking with Delta Chi fraternity at Virginia Commonwealth University

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vcu-stu...ity-suspended/

Richmond police said on Sunday they're investigating the death of a Virginia Commonwealth University student in off-campus housing this weekend. Adam Oakes, 19, was found unresponsive by officers called to the residence about 9:15 a.m. Saturday. He was declared dead at the scene, according to a police news release.
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-adam...ource=customer
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-24-2022 at 05:09 AM.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    One of these days kids will learn that alcohol and fraternity pledges are not exactly a good idea. See, no one is responsible in situations like that to say "yo, that's enough", and that's pathetic and stupid on all of their parts.

And kids fall for this "I can drink you under the table" bullshit, because they just want to fit in.

Then, they go and do stupid shit and try to defy the laws of physics, only to find out that the laws of physics play by an established and unflinching set of rules.

Now a 19 year old's family is left to wonder "why"...forever. Now a good kid is gone, for no good reason. A kid who just wanted to fit in.

Shame on you guys. The ability and responsibility of giving a shit is a hallmark of fraternity. Guess you're just too fucking cool to understand that.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news...an-adam-oakes/

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Virginia Commonwealth University President Michael Rao announced in a blog post Tuesday morning that the Division of Student Affairs will be conducting an “independent, comprehensive” review of Greek life following the death of freshman Adam Oakes.

“No parent should receive a call from a college president offering sympathy for the loss of their child. I’m sickened by what happened and continue to urge anyone who has information to speak up and contact Richmond or VCU Police,” Rao’s statement said.

Earlier this month, VCU announced they would be launching an investigation as Richmond Police Department determine if the death of Adam Oakes was related to a Delta Chi activity.
    President Rao said the review will examine all major parts of Greek life at VCU including:

Governance, relationship with university administration and university oversight, including the role of advisors and the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life
    Accountability of members and chapters including incident reporting processes and transparency around outcomes
    Issues related to hazing, alcohol and drug abuse and sexual violence
    Policies and practices related to recruitment and education of new members
    Member experience such as social, educational, philanthropic activities, and academic success; connections and commitment to VCU and the Richmond community; and general practices related to inclusion, safety and well-being
    Alumni involvement
    VCU’s chapter of the Delta Chi fraternity has been suspended following cease-and-desist orders from the fraternity’s national office and VCU.
    https://www.nbc12.com/2021/03/08/i-w...neral-service/

ASHBURN, Va. (WWBT) - Family and friends of Adam Oakes gathered at Christian Fellowship in Ashburn to celebrate his life and lay him to rest.

Oakes was found dead in an off-campus house on Feb. 27. His family believes he was hazed during a party as part of his initiation into the Delta Chi fraternity.

The fraternity was suspended by VCU and the national organization. VCU is also conducting an independent review of Greek life in the wake of Adam’s death.

During the funeral service, several people talked about the memories and stories they shared with Adam.

Jimmy Norris, one of his friends, talked about the moment they met and how he helped him meet new people.

“Right when I start talking to him, he treated me like I’ve known him for years and just embraced me with one of his bear hugs,” said Norris. “After he hugged me, it changed my life.”

Ben Davis, another friend of Adam Oakes, talked about the kindness he shared with strangers.

“At my high school, there’s a girl crying, sitting on the floor in the hallway. Everyone walked by, just like nothing was going on. No one had the courage to go up to accompany her, but Adam did,” he said. “Adam sat right down next to her and cheered her up.”

Courtney White, Adam Oakes’ cousin, also talked about the love he shared with his friends and the devastating impact of his loss.

“The overwhelming earth-shattering sadness is indescribable. I can only hope that no one ever has to feel this type of pain in their lifetime,” White said. “There are so many things he never got to experience in life. Adam will never graduate college, start a career, fall in love, get married, or have a family of his own.”

[ ‘Adam had a huge, huge heart’: Family believes hazing led to VCU student’s death ]

A GoFundMe page created by one of Adam’s friends, Max Turner, raised more than $40,000 to help the family cover funeral costs.

White says the rest of the money will be used to help students in his hometown.

“We will be honoring Adam by setting up a scholarship fund in his name at Potomac Falls High School for seniors to assist with college expenses,” White said. “Our long-term goal is to start a nonprofit in Adam’s name to further educate kids on the transition to college life, including joining a fraternity or sorority.

As his loved ones continue to mourn Adam Oakes’ death, they promise to keep his memory alive by living like Adam.

Us, as a society, need to love and appreciate life the same way Adam did,” said Davis. “We need to look out for the people we love. We need to lift people’s spirits around us through positivity.”

After the funeral service, Adam Oakes was laid to rest at Chesnut Grove Cemetery.

Copyright 2021 WWBT. All rights reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    One of these days kids will learn that alcohol and fraternity pledges are not exactly a good idea. See, no one is responsible in situations like that to say "yo, that's enough", and that's pathetic and stupid on all of their parts.

And kids fall for this "I can drink you under the table" bullshit, because they just want to fit in.

Then, they go and do stupid shit and try to defy the laws of physics, only to find out that the laws of physics play by an established and unflinching set of rules.

Now a 19 year old's family is left to wonder "why"...forever. Now a good kid is gone, for no good reason. A kid who just wanted to fit in.

Shame on you guys. The ability and responsibility of giving a shit is a hallmark of fraternity. Guess you're just too fucking cool to understand that.
    True

Poor kid. This could have easily happened to me and my hs friends. Someone should have called 911 when he passed out into a tree.

I have so many stories of dumb teenage shit and alcohol.

One time in hs, this guy drank a bottle of vodka and was passed out on my bed and limp. People said let him sleep it off, but I called his mom. As soon as she got to my house she yelled his name and he got up right away, but later he had to go to the hospital. He was super pissed at me, but Im glad I did it. On top of the vodka he had taken some vicoden (Noone knew he took it). I always wonder what could have happened if I didnt call. Noone wants to be a "buzzkill" but its better than the alternative.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Yeah it's really easy to make poor decisions when you are drunk yourself. I have way too many stories from HS and after. Did a lot of dumb shit and sometimes I wonder how TF I am still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information