Thread: SF Programmer (Chris Woitel, 50) found dead in his apartment building over a month after he went missing

SF Programmer (Chris Woitel, 50) found dead in his apartment building over a month after he went missing

https://www.facebook.com/chris.woitel

https://toofab.com/2021/02/15/sf-pro...never-leaving/

Christopher Woitel was filmed walking up the stairs to his apartment a month ago. He never came back down.

A San Francisco computer programmer has been missing for more than a month after he was filmed entering his apartment... and never coming out.

Chris Woitel, 50, was last seen on January 8 when a security camera recorded him walking up the stairs inside his three-story apartment building on 65 Guerrero St, with a bottle of wine in his hand.

The camera never showed him come back down. While his apartment has a back door, CCTV cameras covering that area never recorded him leaving, either.

Investigators found the apartment empty, with no sign of foul play. The chain lock on his front door was still engaged.

Frustrated with the slow response from police, his family hired a private investigator, and further bizarre details surrounding the disappearance have since emerged.

Woitel's niece was the last person to hear from him, when he sent her a text at 3PM on January 9, begging: "Please tell Lara to check her messages. It's urgent."

His sister, Lara Haben, told the Mission Local that she did try to call him back, but couldn't get him.

She said in the final days before he vanished, her bother had been acting strange and paranoid, posting weird things on Facebook, freaking out over the Washington D.C. riots, asking for money for a lost cell phone and speaking about escaping into the mountains.

On January 8, Woitel texted Haben about explosions he heard outside his apartment; he said he felt San Francisco was "unsafe" and feared Trump supporters might also invade the city. Just hours before he vanished he reported a "man on a loudspeaker" passing by in a car, warning residents to "get out now."

He also asked his sister to put some money in his account because "75 bucks isn't going to get me very far." But neither his account or his credit cards have been used since.

"My gut feeling is, something bad happened," Haben said.

Family, friends and neighbors all said one thing in common about Woitel: he was extremely generous, and felt great empathy in particular for homeless people.

He would frequently bring them food at shelters, let them use his shower at his apartment or even let them stay overnight.

One homeless man in particular, "Bood" ' whom he had known for years, after letting him stay at his apartment to recover from a leg injury ' was one of the last people to see Woitel; he was recorded entering the apartment shortly before 10PM on January 7 and leaving just before 6AM the following morning.

A close friend of Woitel's, Jose Reyes, said the missing man had become romantically infatuated with Bood, frequently gave him money and paid his phone bills, but that the attraction was not reciprocated.

"He would waste his bank account on whatever Bood wanted," Reyes claimed, adding he warned his friend of the homeless man, who he said practiced Satanism and the occult. "I just got this vibe from him,... He would freak out when Chris didn't get him what he wanted."

The night before Woitel went missing, Woitel messaged Bood on Facebook (Bood had been using Woitel's account to send messages to friends).

"You f------ a--hole! DONE. THAT'S IT. ENOUGH. You are on your own," Woitel wrote to Bood. "You are far too much trouble. Phone number' Get your own. I'm not paying for you to harass people. You are an a--hole. Don't ever come here again!"

Bood never responded.

Three weeks later, on January 29, Bood wrote on Facebook that he heard Woitel had been "jumped and robbed for his computers", adding he'd been "killed" by people named "Nigel, Alonzo, lc, and Eric."

When the private investigator caught up with Bood, he had Woitel's phone. The handset was "dead and wet", the PI noted. He told them Woitel had sold it to him for $100.

When interviewed, Bood told him he "had strong psychic abilities and had seen in his mind that Christopher had been shot in the head and wrapped in plastic before his body was dumped in the water at the end of Mariposa Street in San Francisco near an abandoned warehouse."

Despite believing him to be "bad news", Reyes does not believe Bood harmed Woitel ' at least not by himself ' given his bad leg.

"He couldn't have moved his body," he said. "Because he could barely walk."

Meanwhile, one of Woitel's neighbors has another theory: he is lying low and trying to make a clean break, as he had witnessed him on a number of occasions trying to avoid a pair of friends who visited frequently, whom the neighbor could only describe as "funky" and "thugs from the underworld."

After Woitel's family filed a missing persons report on January 11, police initially told them "there was nothing to indicate that the subject was at risk or that there was any suspicious circumstance involved."

However they have since told them they are now investigating because of the "unique circumstances" ' but wouldn't specify which circumstances specifically triggered the investigation.

Very strange...

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Strange indeed. Bood is probably involved, but how did he/they get the body out of the house without being caught on camera? Makes no sense.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

REALLY want to know where they found his body. It says "apartment building" not just "apartment" so it could've been anywhere. Also, that Bood dude left after Woitel had already walked in, so I'm betting he did something.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    REALLY want to know where they found his body. It says "apartment building" not just "apartment" so it could've been anywhere. Also, that Bood dude left after Woitel had already walked in, so I'm betting he did something.
    San Francisco man who seemed to vanish last month found dead in apartment crawl space

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...woi-story.html

The San Francisco computer programmer who seemed to vanish mysteriously from his Mission District apartment last month was found dead in a crawl space above his unit, police said.

The body of Christopher Woitel, 50, was discovered “hidden from plain view” in a 3-foot-high crawl space above his bathroom, police said.

“Personnel from the San Francisco Fire Department arrived and needed to cut a hole in the ceiling in order to retrieve Mr. Woitel’s remains,” police said in a statement.

“Investigators determined that Mr. Woitel likely accessed the crawl space from the roof of the building and not from inside his apartment,” police said..

The cause of death is pending a full autopsy report, but no foul play is suspected, authorities said.

Woitel’s case drew headlines after his mom hired a private investigator and several siblings flew to California from the Midwest to hand out flyers and pressure police to investigate.

The gumshoe said Woitel was recorded entering his residential building’s front door alone at 8:38 p.m. on Jan. 8, carrying what appeared to be a bottle of wine.

An exhaustive search of subsequent recordings found no evidence Woitel ever left the building again, either through the front lobby or the back stairs.

In his report obtained by the Daily News, the private investigator, Scott Williams, said a building manager entered Woitel’s unit with a locksmith and San Francisco Police Department officers on Jan. 16, and Woitel was nowhere to be found.

Williams said he personally checked the attic space above Woitel’s unit through an opening in the ceiling inside his bathroom on Feb. 1.

“There were no signs anyone had been up in the large attic space. The flooring was filled with white ‘spray in’ insulation and it all appeared to be undisturbed,” Williams wrote.

“We are hopeful the police investigation will give everyone who loves Chris the answers about where he is. Someone out there knows what happened to him and we hope they will come forward,” sister Lara Woitel Haben, 53, told The News on Monday, just hours before learning her brother’s body was recovered.

“We are hopeful for the best, but also prepared for the worst. All we want at this point is a thorough investigation by the police and for Chris to come home,” she said.

According to Williams’ report, Woitel had a history of depression and had sent a message to a friend over Facebook on Jan. 9 saying something “bad was happening in the city” and he wanted to get out, “perhaps up to the mountains.”

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2021...e_went_missing
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 02-22-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Thread Information