Thread: Asher Hurley (12) killed when grenade purchased at thrift store exploded

Asher Hurley (12) killed when grenade purchased at thrift store exploded

ATF confirms it happened in Abingdon, Virginia, a town about an hour away from the North Carolina?s border.

Virginia State police were called to investigate the incident alongside Abingdon P-D.

WECT reached out to the Abingdon Police Department today for details on a young person who died as a result of an accident involving a grenade on December 23 and received this statement from the police department:

?The Abingdon Police Department is investigating the death of a 12-year-old juvenile. It occurred on December 23, 2020, at a residence on King Street. This is still an active investigation and we will release further information when it is available?

Our NBC sister station in the area, WCYB, says the 12-year-old boy who died in his home was Asher Hurley.

The Virginia state medical examiner?s office says the boy?s death has been classified as an accident due to penetrating injuries to the head and torso and extremities.

An obituary posted online describes the victim as a smart, reserved young man who loved to play drums and the guitar.

WECT has reached out to the family and have yet to hear back.

ATF is asking for anyone who visited Shallotte, near the Ocean Isle Beach and Holden Beach area, and purchased an ?inert? grenade from the Fancy Flea Antique Mall in June 2020
    https://www.wect.com/2021/01/07/live...sion-virginia/
    https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...?pid=197427529

Asher Gabriel Hurley

October 25, 2008 - December 23, 2020

ABINGDON, Va.

No parent should read or write an obituary for their child. I am Asher's dad. Two days before Christmas (2020), we lost our son, Asher Gabriel, in a terrible accident in our home. Asher was only 12.

He was a tender-hearted boy who was a friend to everyone he met. He loved to play drums, guitar and mandolin, and excelled at every instrument he set his hand to. Asher was schooled at home. He loved to research the world around him (and was never given a Rubik's cube he could not solve). Asher was reserved, but loved to smile and laugh. His offbeat, quirky sense of humor touched everyone who knew him. Even though he was only 12, Asher had become my best friend. In our basement shop, we were building a custom guitar for Asher in which he had inlaid his initials a day earlier. I will finish Asher's guitar. In our home, Asher had two older sisters, Elena and Diana, and one younger sister, Amelie. Asher knew he was loved in a very special way by his sisters. He was also loved by his two sisters, Kelsey and Kylee, who live near Front Royal. Sarah, my wife shared a particular intimacy with Asher. She instilled kindness, confidence and a love for Jesus into him. He flourished in our home. Asher loved the Lord, and he loved worshiping in music on Sunday. We will miss the music that Asher filled our house and church with. Asher is enjoying the joy of our Lord Jesus.

CS Lewis wrote, "Aim for heaven, you get earth thrown in, aim for earth, you get neither".

We will miss our sweet boy so very much.

A funeral service for Asher Hurley will be held at 12 p.m., on Wednesday, January 6, 2021, at the Church of New Beginnings in the amphitheater, 10495 Forest Hills Dr., Glade Spring, Va., with Pastor Matthew Chapman officiating. The service will take place outdoors so please dress accordingly. Interment will be held privately.

In accordance with COVID-19 regulations, all those attending services are asked to wear face coverings and follow social distancing guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Oh, god how fucked up is that?

I have a grenade at my home in Virginia, something I bought when I was his age, but it was actually inert...hollowed out but retaining the lug and the pull ring. I just use it as a paperweight, really.

But this whole thing is just super fucked up. What kind of a fucking retard sells a kid a live fucking grenade? Does it not beg common sense to make for goddamn sure this thing isn't actually dangerous? I mean, fuck, is common sense not actually a thing?

I can't even fathom the depth of his parent's anguish.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Oh, god how fucked up is that?

I have a grenade at my home in Virginia, something I bought when I was his age, but it was actually inert...hollowed out but retaining the lug and the pull ring. I just use it as a paperweight, really.

But this whole thing is just super fucked up. What kind of a fucking retard sells a kid a live fucking grenade? Does it not beg common sense to make for goddamn sure this thing isn't actually dangerous? I mean, fuck, is common sense not actually a thing?

I can't even fathom the depth of his parent's anguish.
    Yeah. Last thing you'd expect and the hardest thing for a parent.

Last month, ATF agents announced they where looking for more grenades possibly sold by the same vendor. They're not certain how many others exist or who purchased them.

The explosives are thought to be "inert" MK2 grenades similar to those used during World War II. Authorities are asking for the public's help to locate the explosive devices.

If you purchased an "inert" grenade from the Fancy Flea Antique Mall in June, contact the Charlotte Field Division of the ATF.

Sounds like they had no idea it was live and may have sold a number of the things...
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information