Thread: 'Mass murder' leaves 6 dead on near northeast side of Indy:Kezzie (42), Raymond Jr (42), Elijah (18), & Rita Childs (18) and Kiara Hawkins (19) and her unborn baby boy

'Mass murder' leaves 6 dead on near northeast side of Indy:Kezzie (42), Raymond Jr (42), Elijah (18), & Rita Childs (18) and Kiara Hawkins (19) and her unborn baby boy

https://cbs4indy.com/news/crime/shoo...e-is-critical/

. INDIANAPOLIS ? Six people were killed in a shooting on Indy?s near northeast side, and a juvenile was taken to the hospital in critical condition, according to police.

Both Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett and Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Chief Randall Taylor referred to the incident as a ?mass murder? during a Sunday afternoon press conference.

According to IMPD, the shooting occurred in the 3500 block of Adams Street before 4 a.m. on Sunday.

Originally, police were called out to the nearby 3300 block of E. 36th Street around 3:45 a.m. where a juvenile was found suffering from a gunshot wound and taken in critical condition to Riley Children?s Hospital. Police said during the press conference that he is expected to survive.

Following further investigation into the juvenile?s shooting, police were dispatched to the Adams Street location where they discovered multiple people shot inside a home.

Police confirmed Sunday afternoon that six people were killed, including a pregnant woman and her unborn child.

IMPD says this was not a random act. An investigation into the shooting is ongoing.

Anyone with information about this incident should call the IMPD Homicide Office at 317-327-3475 or Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana at 317-262-8477 or (TIPS).

The deadly scene on Adams Street adds to an already violent Sunday.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/national/5...n-indianapolis

. INDIANAPOLIS — Five adults and an unborn child were killed in a shooting and a boy was injured early Sunday morning on the northeast side of Indianapolis.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officers were called just before 4 a.m. on the report of a person shot.

Officers found a boy with an apparent gunshot wound when they arrived, IMPD Sgt. Shane Foley said. He was taken to a local hospital and is expected to survive.

Around 4:40 a.m., officers received information and responded to a separate address, Foley said. When officers entered the house, they found five people who were killed and suffering from apparent gunshot wounds.

A woman who was pregnant was taken to a local hospital where she, and her unborn child, did not survive, Foley said.

Breaking: Metro Police investigating the deaths of more than 4 people on the 3500 Block Adams Street in Indianapolis. @wrtv @nikkidementri Neighbors began calling 911 shortly after 3:45am reporting gunfire. Working on getting more details. pic.twitter.com/Ht0bqCeZP4

— Rafael S?nchez (@RafaelOnTV) January 24, 2021
    "Just this last week, we talked about investments that we're making, resources were devoting to stopping crime and violence here in Indianapolis," IMPD Chief Randal Taylor said. "Drug-related crimes, domestic violence, violence driven by poverty or desperation. But what we saw this morning was a different kind of evil."

So far in the investigation, detectives do not believe this appears to be a random act.

"There are no right words to say at this time," Taylor said. "Time in our community must come to terms with the largest mass casualty shooting in more than a decade. I myself am heartbroken for the lives that have been taken too soon. For the young life that has forever been changed, and for the life that never got a chance to start."

He said he is angry someone felt they had the right to commit this "senseless act in the community, our community."

While the police are working to improve the neighborhoods in the city, Taylor said the department can't do it alone.

"I don't know what goes through a person's mind," Taylor said. "I don't know what kind of lie they listen to in their head that would tell them that pulling the trigger on anybody, but especially on this many people, is the right thing to do. Our community doesn't deserve this."

He is urging anyone with information to come forward and submit tips anonymously if needed.

"This morning, one or more individuals perpetrated an act of evil in our city," Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett said. "While we're still learning more about the circumstances that led to this incident, I want to be very clear about something, what happened this morning was not an act of simple gun violence. As tragic as a simple act of gun violence is, what happened this morning was a mass murder."

Hogsett said he has been in contact with the U.S. Attorney's Office of the Southern District of Indiana, the FBI Indianapolis Field Office, and other law enforcement agencies.

"I want those responsible to know that the full might of local state and federal law enforcement are coming for them as I speak," Hogsett said. "Coming for them today, coming for them tonight, coming for them tomorrow, and the day after that. Coming for them as long as it takes to find them."

He is urging anyone with information to come forward.

"Be the person who says this type of violence, this senseless terror, has no place in our community," Hogsett said.

The FBI Indianapolis Field Office will assist IMPD with the investigation if requested, according to a statement from the FBI.

Anyone with information is asked to call homicide detectives at 317-327-3475 or report tips anonymously to Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana at 317-262-TIPS (8477) or online.

NOW: This is a look at the scene currently. IMPD, crime scene and others are still here. Family and friends appear to be here as well. @wrtv https://t.co/8ALARcmtiS pic.twitter.com/jfHRAYBwXv

— Nikki DeMentri (@nikkidementri) January 24, 2021
    New: The scene of multiple fatal shootings on the 3500 Block of Adams Street. First police officers arrived on the scene within 90 seconds of initial 911 calls of gunfire. Investigators expected to be on the scene for several more hours. @wrtv @nikkidementri pic.twitter.com/bOVUuR578T

— Rafael S?nchez (@RafaelOnTV) January 24, 2021

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/im...0-80a4de6767ac

Here is an Update victims of the mass shooting names have been released
    42-year-old Kezzie Childs
    42-year-old Raymond Childs, Jr.
    18-year-old Elijah Childs
    13-year-old Rita Childs
    19-year-old Kiara Hawkins
    Baby boy Hawkins (fetus), child of Kiara Hawkins

INDIANAPOLIS — IMPD is investigating what they call the city's "largest mass casualty shooting in more than a decade."

An overnight shooting on the northeast side of Indianapolis left multiple people dead, including a pregnant woman and her unborn child, early Sunday morning.

"What happened this morning was a mass murder. A choice of an individual or individuals to bring, and I do not use these words lightly, terror to our community," said Mayor Joe Hogsett. "Today Indianapolis has lost much. Including an unborn life. Justice will be done."

Police were first called to the 3300 block of East 36th Street on a reported shooting just after 4 a.m. A juvenile victim was found there and taken to the hospital in critical condition. The juvenile is expected to survive.

Then officers discovered multiple shooting victims in the same area in the 3500 block of Adams Street around 4:41 a.m.

"I myself am heartbroken for the lives that were taken too soon, for the young life that has forever been changed, and for the life that never got a chance to start,” said IMPD Chief Randal Taylor.

Homicide detectives are working to determine what happened and cordoned off a block in each direction to search the area for evidence.

Police said it appears the family was targeted and they do not believe there is a threat to the public at this time.

The victims were identified Sunday night:

42-year-old Kezzie Childs
    42-year-old Raymond Childs, Jr.
    18-year-old Elijah Childs
    13-year-old Rita Childs
    19-year-old Kiara Hawkins
    Baby boy Hawkins (fetus), child of Kiara Hawkins

"There are no right words to say at this time, how our community must come to terms with the largest mass casualty shooting in more than a decade,” Taylor said.

"I want those responsible to know that the full might of local, state and federal law enforcement are coming for them as I speak. Coming for them today. Coming for them tonight. Coming for them tomorrow and the day after that. Coming for them as long as it takes to find them," Hogsett said.

Hogsett said he has talked to the U.S. Attorney for Southern Indiana, the Indianapolis office of the FBI and other federal agencies. Hogsett also said police will go after anyone helping shooters and anyone who provided the guns to them, if they were illegally obtained.

For neighbors, they said this crime left them speechless.

“To take a whole family out like that…I just don’t understand,” Vicki Pinkston said.

Pinkston said she recently dropped off a few baby items for the expecting mother.

“I had just given them some stuff from my great-grandson when he was born but he is bigger now. The baby was due next month,” Pinkston said.

Crime scene tape was still on the tree outside her home. She said it's a sad reminder of the gruesome crime that happened on her street.

“When I saw them take all the people out of there. I could not believe it. I just hope that they find who did this,” she said.

The area where the shooting happened is along East 36th Street, five blocks west of Sherman Drive.

There were several other shootings before and after this incident. Since Saturday night, a total of 15 people were shot in Indianapolis, including the six that were killed in this incident.

Police ask anybody with information about the shootings call the IMPD Homicide Office at 317-327-3475 or Crime Stoppers at 317-262-TIPS.

https://cbs4indy.com/news/indianapol...t-mass-murder/

INDIANAPOLIS– Indianapolis police say a juvenile suspect was arrested in the deaths of 6 people following a mass shooting in the 3500 block of Adams Street.

Originally, police were called out to the nearby 3300 block of E. 36th Street around 3:45 a.m. Sunday, where a juvenile was found suffering from a gunshot wound and taken in critical condition to Riley Children’s Hospital. Police said during the press conference that he is expected to survive.

Following further investigation into the juvenile’s shooting, police were dispatched to the Adams Street location where they discovered multiple people shot and killed inside a home.

The victims have been identified as: 42-year-old Kezzie Childs, 42-year-old Raymond Childs, 18-year-old Elijah Childs, 13-year-old Rita Childs, 19-year-old Kiara Hawkins, and Baby Boy Hawkins, the unborn child of Kiara Hawkins.

Both Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett and Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Chief Randall Taylor referred to the incident as a “mass murder.”

Due to the suspect being a juvenile, the name and photo are not being released at this time. That may change if the suspect is waived to adult court.

“Yesterday, we promised swift justice for this heinous act. Today, we delivered on that promise,” said IMPD Chief Randal Taylor. “While removing the alleged perpetrator of yesterday’s mass murder from our neighborhoods does not bring back the lives senselessly lost, hopefully, it will bring us one step closer to healing as a community. I am grateful to all of the IMPD officers and criminal justice partners who have worked tirelessly for the last 30 plus hours to bring justice for these victims, their friends and families, and our entire community. I ask community members to join me in praying for the continued recovery of the young man whose life has been forever changed.”

Police do not suspect any additional suspects are at large.

Juvenile arrested following mass murder of 6 people in Indianapolis

https://fox59.com/news/juvenile-arre...-indianapolis/

INDIANAPOLIS– Indianapolis police say a 17-year-old suspect was arrested in the deaths of 6 people following a mass shooting in the 3500 block of Adams Street.

Originally, police were called out to the nearby 3300 block of E. 36th Street around 3:45 a.m. Sunday, where a juvenile was found suffering from a gunshot wound and taken in critical condition to Riley Children’s Hospital. Police said during the press conference that he is expected to survive.

Following further investigation into the juvenile’s shooting, police were dispatched to the Adams Street location where they discovered multiple people shot and killed inside a home.

The victims have been identified as: 42-year-old Kezzie Childs, 42-year-old Raymond Childs, 18-year-old Elijah Childs, 13-year-old Rita Childs, 19-year-old Kiara Hawkins, and Baby Boy Hawkins, the unborn child of Kiara Hawkins.

Both Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett and Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Chief Randall Taylor referred to the incident as a “mass murder.”

Due to the suspect being a juvenile, the name and photo are not being released at this time. That may change if the suspect is waived to adult court. The suspect is said to be a member of the family.

“Yesterday, we promised swift justice for this heinous act. Today, we delivered on that promise,” said IMPD Chief Randal Taylor. “While removing the alleged perpetrator of yesterday’s mass murder from our neighborhoods does not bring back the lives senselessly lost, hopefully, it will bring us one step closer to healing as a community. I am grateful to all of the IMPD officers and criminal justice partners who have worked tirelessly for the last 30 plus hours to bring justice for these victims, their friends and families, and our entire community. I ask community members to join me in praying for the continued recovery of the young man whose life has been forever changed.”

Police do not suspect any additional suspects are at large.

Mayor Hogsett issued this statement following the announcement of the arrest:

“Today’s announcement is the first step toward justice for the senseless acts that cut short the lives of six of our neighbors in the early hours of Sunday morning. While nothing can bring back the Childs family, I hope that the swift action of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department offers some comfort to all of those who have been left to grapple with this tragic loss. My thanks go to the men and women of IMPD whose thoughtful investigative work led to the arrest of the suspect, and my prayers are with the family, friends, and community impacted by this devastating act of violence.”

One of the news reports I watched said it was a family fight and Dad kicked him out at 2am. The kid is the one listed as being in critical condition but expected to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    One of the news reports I watched said it was a family fight and Dad kicked him out at 2am. The kid is the one listed as being in critical condition but expected to survive.
    I'm wondering if the killer in question is the father of the unborn baby and the 19 year old mom that died in the mass shooting that lead to this to happen.

https://fox59.com/news/family-friend...-adams-street/

INDIANAPOLIS — It’s been more than 36 hours since the mass murder on Indianapolis’ near northeast side, and it hasn’t gotten any easier for the family.

It’s a tragic situation, and understandably, none of them are ready to talk. But we were able to speak to friends who shined some light on those who were killed.

“I’m still in shock, I’m still in disbelief. She didn’t deserve this, none of her family deserved this,” said India Hammond, a junior-high classmate of one of the victims, Kezzie Childs.

Many echoed these same thoughts after a family of six, including an unborn child, was killed in a mass murder Sunday morning. Police have arrested a juvenile related to the family, but that doesn’t weaken the burden on this family or their friends.

“I just seen her probably like a month and a half ago, maybe,” said Anastasia D, a childhood friend of Kezzie.

Kezzie, 42, was the mother of the family and a good friend to Anastasia from growing up in Gary to life in Indianapolis.

“She was just a wonderful woman, wonderful mother, soon to be grandmother, even the family, everyone was great,” said Anastasia.

She came by the home to show her love and support by setting a teddy bear on the front porch.
    As did Kezzie’s junior-high friend, Hammond.

“I came and payed my respects to her brother. He used to be there when I stayed the night over there,” said Hammond.

She says Kezzie’s smile was infectious, and now, this tragedy brings her fond memories to the surface.

“Just the memories that I have with her, I’m going to treasure for the rest of my life. She was someone you could always count on, someone you could always confide your secrets in,” said Hammond.

Six innocent lives taken, including one that never had a chance to breathe, leaving a family and community confused and in pain.

“Please stop the violence. Just stop it. It’s uncalled for. It’s just too much going on right now. We just all need to come together and be one,” said Anastasia.

Kezzie was killed, along with her husband, Raymond Jr., her 13-year-old daughter, Rita, her 18-year-old son, Elijah, 19-year-old Kiara Hawkins and her unborn child, “Baby Boy” Hawkins.

Just like Sunday, so many strangers passed by to say prayers. Meanwhile, neighbors say they are planning a memorial to honor the family.
    https://fox59.com/news/crimetracker/...n-family-home/

INDIANAPOLIS — Detectives from IMPD’s Violent Crime Unit arrived in Plainfield overnight to arrest a juvenile teenager accused of killing six people in his parents’ home before dawn Sunday.

The teen will likely be charged in Marion Superior Court as an adult by the end of the week.

An IMPD report obtained by FOX59 recounts how the first officers who arrived on the scene discovered the suspect’s younger brother suffering from gunshots wounds and heard the account he provided that led investigators to a house in the 3500 block of North Adams Street, on the city’s east side, where the bodies of the other victims were discovered.

The dead have been identified as the parents of the home, Kezzie and Raymond Childs, both 42, their 18-year-old son, Elijah, and 13-year-old daughter, Rita, and 19-year-old Kiara Hawkins, who died along with her near-full term unborn son.

Investigators have not announced the name of the father of the child.

In custody is a 17-year-old male, while a younger brother is still hospitalized and recovering from his wounds.

It’s that younger teen who first alerted police to the horrific scene they would discover shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday.

According to the IMPD report, the first responding officers found the younger teen suffering from gunshot wounds in the 3300 block of East 36th Street, just around the corner from the family home.

One account reported the boy said, “They killed my family,” while the initial IMPD report indicated upon his arrival at an emergency room, the youth told officers that everyone in his home had been shot, and his older brother was the gunman.

When officers returned to the family home on North Adams, they discovered several bodies inside and immediately called for the transportation of Hawkins to the hospital in a futile attempt to save her life and that of her unborn child.

When detectives interviewed the boy at the hospital, he reportedly told police that his older brother had been reprimanded by his father for leaving the home without permission, and the son was told the issue would be resolved later, but that the teen disagreed.

It was then, the boy said, that while he was downstairs in the home with his parents, they heard gunfire upstairs and his sister yelling, “He shot them,” followed by the sound of more gunshots.

The teen said then his brother, “came down the stairs with a draco gun, a handgun that shoots rifle rounds, and started shooting.”

The boy said he ran out the side door of the home, his brother pursuing him and firing away, which would account for the four gunshots neighbors told FOX59 they heard.

“Because we had found that young man who has suffered some significant gunshot wounds, and he pointed us in the direction of that Adams Street address, which we had no idea what we would find when we walked in the door there, when the officers walked in the door there,” said IMPD Assistant Chief Chris Bailey. “I can’t imagine the horrific nature of what they had to see yesterday.”

Throughout the day Sunday, relatives and friends gathered on Adams Street, seeking answers and access to the house and at one point asking FOX59 to get word out that a 15-year-old relative was unaccounted for.

That teen was in the hospital.

Also missing was his older brother.

Several hours later, detectives tracked the youth to Plainfield, where he was placed under arrest.

IMPD would not disclose if he was taken into custody with any evidence that would link him to the murders, nor if the youth made any statement to investigators.

“Our detectives and our violent crime unit follow the leads. They follow information that they gather as part of their investigation through a whole host of investigative techniques and methods,” said Bailey. “We did receive information from the community, from neighbors, from people that were concerned about what happened.”

One neighbor told FOX59 that she had provided officers with specific information that would permit them to track the absent teen.

There have been 21 homicides in Indianapolis thus far this year, putting the city’s 2021 murder tally well ahead of last year’s record pace.

“We have a serious problem in our community with people who don’t know how to deal with their conflict except for with a gun or a blade,” said Bailey.

For the time being, the youth is currently being housed in the Marion County Juvenile Detention facility, though investigators have until Thursday to file charges.
    Possible motive for the mass murder in Indianapolis.

Teen tells IMPD that older brother murdered 6 in family home

https://fox59.com/news/crimetracker/...n-family-home/

INDIANAPOLIS — Detectives from IMPD’s Violent Crime Unit arrived in Plainfield overnight to arrest a juvenile teenager accused of killing six people in his parents’ home before dawn Sunday.

The teen will likely be charged in Marion Superior Court as an adult by the end of the week.

An IMPD report obtained by FOX59 recounts how the first officers who arrived on the scene discovered the suspect’s younger brother suffering from gunshots wounds and heard the account he provided that led investigators to a house in the 3500 block of North Adams Street, on the city’s east side, where the bodies of the other victims were discovered.

The dead have been identified as the parents of the home, Kezzie and Raymond Childs, both 42, their 18-year-old son, Elijah, and 13-year-old daughter, Rita, and 19-year-old Kiara Hawkins, who died along with her near-full term unborn son.

Investigators have not announced the name of the father of the child.

In custody is a 17-year-old male, while a younger brother is still hospitalized and recovering from his wounds.

It’s that younger teen who first alerted police to the horrific scene they would discover shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday.

According to the IMPD report, the first responding officers found the younger teen suffering from gunshot wounds in the 3300 block of East 36th Street, just around the corner from the family home.

One account reported the boy said, “They killed my family,” while the initial IMPD report indicated upon his arrival at an emergency room, the youth told officers that everyone in his home had been shot, and his older brother was the gunman.

When officers returned to the family home on North Adams, they discovered several bodies inside and immediately called for the transportation of Hawkins to the hospital in a futile attempt to save her life and that of her unborn child.

When detectives interviewed the boy at the hospital, he reportedly told police that his older brother had been reprimanded by his father for leaving the home without permission, and the son was told the issue would be resolved later, but that the teen disagreed.

It was then, the boy said, that while he was downstairs in the home with his parents, they heard gunfire upstairs and his sister yelling, “He shot them,” followed by the sound of more gunshots.

The teen said then his brother, “came down the stairs with a draco gun, a handgun that shoots rifle rounds, and started shooting.”

The boy said he ran out the side door of the home, his brother pursuing him and firing away, which would account for the four gunshots neighbors told FOX59 they heard.

“Because we had found that young man who has suffered some significant gunshot wounds, and he pointed us in the direction of that Adams Street address, which we had no idea what we would find when we walked in the door there, when the officers walked in the door there,” said IMPD Assistant Chief Chris Bailey. “I can’t imagine the horrific nature of what they had to see yesterday.”

Throughout the day Sunday, relatives and friends gathered on Adams Street, seeking answers and access to the house and at one point asking FOX59 to get word out that a 15-year-old relative was unaccounted for.

That teen was in the hospital.

Also missing was his older brother.

Several hours later, detectives tracked the youth to Plainfield, where he was placed under arrest.

IMPD would not disclose if he was taken into custody with any evidence that would link him to the murders, nor if the youth made any statement to investigators.

“Our detectives and our violent crime unit follow the leads. They follow information that they gather as part of their investigation through a whole host of investigative techniques and methods,” said Bailey. “We did receive information from the community, from neighbors, from people that were concerned about what happened.”

One neighbor told FOX59 that she had provided officers with specific information that would permit them to track the absent teen.

There have been 21 homicides in Indianapolis thus far this year, putting the city’s 2021 murder tally well ahead of last year’s record pace.

“We have a serious problem in our community with people who don’t know how to deal with their conflict except for with a gun or a blade,” said Bailey.

For the time being, the youth is currently being housed in the Marion County Juvenile Detention facility, though investigators have until Thursday to file charges.

https://www.wthr.com/mobile/article/...d-8d885512ebe5

. INDIANAPOLIS — The Marion County Prosecutor's Office filed charges Thursday against 17-year-old Raymond Ronald Lee Childs III in the mass murder of his family Jan. 24 on the east side of Indianapolis.

Raymond Childs III is facing six charges of murder, one count of attempted murder, and one count of carrying a handgun without a license. His trial has initially been set for April.

Our community has suffered another trauma with the tragic loss of this family. Gun violence continues to take and damage too many lives," Marion County Prosecutor Ryan Mears said. "Our task now is to bring these allegations before the court. We intend to seek justice for the victims, and to do so in a way that respects the process and all of the circumstances present in this case."

Childs III is being held without bail. The court entered a not guilty plea on his behalf. Attorney Ray Casanova was will serve as his public defender, and Childs IIII is to have no contact with eight people involved in the case.

According to court documents, after an argument with his parents, the accused teenager reportedly used a handgun and an assault-style rifle to fatally shoot everyone in the house.

The victims are the teen suspect's 42-year-old father Raymond Childs, his mother Kezzie, 42, a 13-year-old sister Rita and his 18-year-old brother Elijah Childs. Also killed were Elijah's 19-year-old girlfriend Kiara Hawkins and their unborn child, referred to as "Baby Boy Hawkins."

Another sibling, injured by gunfire, escaped the home in the 3500 block of Adams Street and ran to a neighborhood house for help. That sibling told responding officers what led to the gunfire, according to IMPD.

According to court documents, that surviving member of the family gave the following account of what happened:

X.C. (survivor) stated (to detectives) his brother "Raymond Ronald Lee Childs the third" shot him. When asked who else was in the house at the time of the shooting, X.C. stated his mom, his dad, his little sister R.C., his brother Elijah, and Kiara Hawkins, who was "supposed to be having a baby next week."
    According to X.C., Childs III had gotten in trouble that night for leaving the house without permission. When Childs III got home his father Raymond Childs, Jr. told Childs III that he would get in trouble later.
    X.C. was downstairs with his parents when he heard two or three gunshots from upstairs. X.C. heard his sister say "he shot Elijah!"
    X.C. said Childs III came down the stairs and shot both of his parents.
    X.C. said he was in the laundry room on the floor, and when he heard the shooting stop he ran out of the house through a side door as fast as he could.
    Childs III chased him down. X.C told him "I can give you forty dollars, please don't kill me." X.C. said "he just looked at me and then he shot me on the leg. He shot me in my arm. And then he tried to shoot me in the head but missed, I guess."
    Police also spoke with the suspect's girlfriend, who told them Childs III had been at her house earlier the night of the shooting and that "he got a phone call from his dad telling him to come home." She said he later returned with two bags of clothes and shoes saying that his father had kicked him out.

The girlfriend told police she received an alert on her Citizens app that there had been a shooting on 36th street. Soon after there was another alert regarding a shooting on Adams Street. She asked Childs III if he knew anything about the shooting and he said "no."

Later in the morning, the girlfriend convinced Childs III to go to the crime scene after speaking with Childs III's sisters. She stated Childs III was nervous to go to the scene and when they got there, he began crying and "acted a clown." She had never seen him like this before.

Detectives found Childs III at a home on Wyatt Drive in Indianapolis where relatives of his live. Childs III was taken into custody without incident, and was transported to the homicide office before being placed under arrest.

In Indiana, the case can go directly into adult court when a juvenile is suspected in a violent felony without a waiver hearing in juvenile detention court. The prosecutor said they can not seek the death penalty, but can ask for life without parole.

IMPD Chief Randal Taylor released a statement to 13News on the charges:

"Today's charging announcement is welcome news as our community continues to grapple with this shocking crime. I am grateful to Prosecutor Mears and his staff, Detective Winter, and all of the IMPD officers and criminal justice partners who continue to work diligently to bring justice in this case.

"But our focus should remain on remembering the lives of those taken from us too soon and doing everything we can to rally around the surviving victim as he must come to terms with unimaginable loss. My prayers are with him in his continued recovery, and with all those who lost a family member, a loved one, a friend, or a neighbor on Sunday.

"In the wake of this tragedy, we are continuing to reach out to local neighborhood leaders to support the collective healing of the community and build stronger partnerships focused on preventing future violence."

13News has learned that relatives of Kiara Hawkins are making plans for her final arrangements as relatives of the Childs family begin to do the same. A GoFundMe for the Childs family can be found here.
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/p2jqp-mem...39ae2f59f23e98

https://www.wthr.com/mobile/article/...d-8d885512ebe5

. INDIANAPOLIS ? The Marion County Prosecutor's Office filed charges Thursday against 17-year-old Raymond Ronald Lee Childs III in the mass murder of his family Jan. 24 on the east side of Indianapolis.

Raymond Childs III is facing six charges of murder, one count of attempted murder, and one count of carrying a handgun without a license. His trial has initially been set for April.

Our community has suffered another trauma with the tragic loss of this family. Gun violence continues to take and damage too many lives," Marion County Prosecutor Ryan Mears said. "Our task now is to bring these allegations before the court. We intend to seek justice for the victims, and to do so in a way that respects the process and all of the circumstances present in this case."

Childs III is being held without bail. The court entered a not guilty plea on his behalf. Attorney Ray Casanova was will serve as his public defender, and Childs IIII is to have no contact with eight people involved in the case.

According to court documents, after an argument with his parents, the accused teenager reportedly used a handgun and an assault-style rifle to fatally shoot everyone in the house.

The victims are the teen suspect's 42-year-old father Raymond Childs, his mother Kezzie, 42, a 13-year-old sister Rita and his 18-year-old brother Elijah Childs. Also killed were Elijah's 19-year-old girlfriend Kiara Hawkins and their unborn child, referred to as "Baby Boy Hawkins."

Another sibling, injured by gunfire, escaped the home in the 3500 block of Adams Street and ran to a neighborhood house for help. That sibling told responding officers what led to the gunfire, according to IMPD.

According to court documents, that surviving member of the family gave the following account of what happened:

X.C. (survivor) stated (to detectives) his brother "Raymond Ronald Lee Childs the third" shot him. When asked who else was in the house at the time of the shooting, X.C. stated his mom, his dad, his little sister R.C., his brother Elijah, and Kiara Hawkins, who was "supposed to be having a baby next week."
    According to X.C., Childs III had gotten in trouble that night for leaving the house without permission. When Childs III got home his father Raymond Childs, Jr. told Childs III that he would get in trouble later.
    X.C. was downstairs with his parents when he heard two or three gunshots from upstairs. X.C. heard his sister say "he shot Elijah!"
    X.C. said Childs III came down the stairs and shot both of his parents.
    X.C. said he was in the laundry room on the floor, and when he heard the shooting stop he ran out of the house through a side door as fast as he could.
    Childs III chased him down. X.C told him "I can give you forty dollars, please don't kill me." X.C. said "he just looked at me and then he shot me on the leg. He shot me in my arm. And then he tried to shoot me in the head but missed, I guess."
    Police also spoke with the suspect's girlfriend, who told them Childs III had been at her house earlier the night of the shooting and that "he got a phone call from his dad telling him to come home." She said he later returned with two bags of clothes and shoes saying that his father had kicked him out.

The girlfriend told police she received an alert on her Citizens app that there had been a shooting on 36th street. Soon after there was another alert regarding a shooting on Adams Street. She asked Childs III if he knew anything about the shooting and he said "no."

Later in the morning, the girlfriend convinced Childs III to go to the crime scene after speaking with Childs III's sisters. She stated Childs III was nervous to go to the scene and when they got there, he began crying and "acted a clown." She had never seen him like this before.

Detectives found Childs III at a home on Wyatt Drive in Indianapolis where relatives of his live. Childs III was taken into custody without incident, and was transported to the homicide office before being placed under arrest.

In Indiana, the case can go directly into adult court when a juvenile is suspected in a violent felony without a waiver hearing in juvenile detention court. The prosecutor said they can not seek the death penalty, but can ask for life without parole.

IMPD Chief Randal Taylor released a statement to 13News on the charges:

"Today's charging announcement is welcome news as our community continues to grapple with this shocking crime. I am grateful to Prosecutor Mears and his staff, Detective Winter, and all of the IMPD officers and criminal justice partners who continue to work diligently to bring justice in this case.

"But our focus should remain on remembering the lives of those taken from us too soon and doing everything we can to rally around the surviving victim as he must come to terms with unimaginable loss. My prayers are with him in his continued recovery, and with all those who lost a family member, a loved one, a friend, or a neighbor on Sunday.

"In the wake of this tragedy, we are continuing to reach out to local neighborhood leaders to support the collective healing of the community and build stronger partnerships focused on preventing future violence."

13News has learned that relatives of Kiara Hawkins are making plans for her final arrangements as relatives of the Childs family begin to do the same. A GoFundMe for the Childs family can be found here.
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/p2jqp-mem...39ae2f59f23e98

Thread Information