Thread: A car thief threatened to call the police on a mom who left her child in the back seat of the car he stole

A car thief threatened to call the police on a mom who left her child in the back seat of the car he stole

Oregon police are searching for a man who stole a car Saturday morning without knowing a child was in the backseat and came back to lecture the victim of the car theft for leaving her child unattended.

When the suspect saw the child, he returned to the mother and reprimanded her, threatened to call the police on her and then drove away in her car, Beaverton Police Spokesman Officer Matt Henderson told CNN.

?He hopped in the car, drove it, realized there was a 4-year-old inside, and drove back and ordered her to take the child out of the car and then drove away again,? Henderson said. ?We?re thankful he had the decency to bring the little one back.?

The little boy was unharmed, police said.

The crime took place at a meat market in Beaverton, where Crystal Leary left the engine of her car running and doors unlocked before going inside for a few minutes to purchase meat and a gallon of milk.

She was just 15 feet away from the car on the other side of the glass, Henderson said, but turned around at the wrong moment.

?As moms, we get really busy and we think we?re just running in for a second and this is just a perfect example of just letting our guards down and how terrible it could have ended,? Crystal Leary, the mother, told CNN affiliate KPTV.

?I am thankful that he is okay. It was so stupid and I?ll never do that again, but it?s that split second decision that can just change everything.?

The car, a 2013 silver Honda Pilot, was recovered a few hours later in Portland, just 8 miles away from Beaverton. Police are still searching for the thief, according to Henderson.

The suspect is described as a White male with long, dark brown braided hair. He wore a multi-colored face mask.

Anyone with information on the car theft can contact Beaverton police at 503-629-0111.

?This is a good learning lesson for all of us who have children,? Henderson said. ?Be extra careful with your kids, take the extra step to make sure they?re safe.?
    https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/thief...on-in-vehicle/
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I actually don?t know how to feel about this. Sure, it?s wrong to steal a car, no doubt about it. But it?s also wrong to leave your child alone, unattended, at such a young age. Injuries and fatalities happen in a split second. Pets get stolen from the street and so do babies and toddlers. This could have gone badly wrong.

A car thief threatened to call the police on a mom who left her child in the back seat of the car he stole

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/18/u...rnd/index.html

By Alaa Elassar, CNN
    Updated 1:06 PM EST, Mon January 18, 2021

(CNN)Oregon police are searching for a man who stole a car Saturday morning without knowing a child was in the backseat and came back to lecture the victim of the car theft for leaving her child unattended.

When the suspect saw the child, he returned to the mother and reprimanded her, threatened to call the police on her and then drove away in her car, Beaverton Police Spokesman Officer Matt Henderson told CNN.

"He hopped in the car, drove it, realized there was a 4-year-old inside, and drove back and ordered her to take the child out of the car and then drove away again," Henderson said. "We're thankful he had the decency to bring the little one back."

The little boy was unharmed, police said.

The crime took place at a meat market in Beaverton, where Crystal Leary left the engine of her car running and doors unlocked before going inside for a few minutes to purchase meat and a gallon of milk.

She was just 15 feet away from the car on the other side of the glass, Henderson said, but turned around at the wrong moment.

"As moms, we get really busy and we think we're just running in for a second and this is just a perfect example of just letting our guards down and how terrible it could have ended," Crystal Leary, the mother, told CNN affiliate KPTV.

"I am thankful that he is okay. It was so stupid and I'll never do that again, but it's that split second decision that can just change everything."

The car, a 2013 silver Honda Pilot, was recovered a few hours later in Portland, just 8 miles away from Beaverton. Police are still searching for the thief, according to Henderson.

The suspect is described as a White male with long, dark brown braided hair. He wore a multi-colored face mask.

Anyone with information on the car theft can contact Beaverton police at 503-629-0111.

"This is a good learning lesson for all of us who have children," Henderson said. "Be extra careful with your kids, take the extra step to make sure they're safe."
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Hmm... I thought I did my due diligence. I guess not.
    My husband thought it was funny that he still stole the car after returning the kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Hmm... I thought I did my due diligence. I guess not.
    My husband thought it was funny that he still stole the car after returning the kid.
    So did I.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

If I did something that stupid I would give him the car for bringing my kid back. My kid > any car
    I can be your *ADDICTION* if you wanna get hooked on something!!

Thread Information