Thread: Sacramento County Sheriff's Deputy Adam Gibson and K9 dead following shootout that also killed pursuit suspect

Sacramento County Sheriff's Deputy Adam Gibson and K9 dead following shootout that also killed pursuit suspect

SACRAMENTO, Calif. ?
    A Sacramento County sheriff's deputy and a K-9 officer died after a shootout on Cal Expo grounds with a chase suspect who was also killed, Sheriff Scott Jones said early Tuesday morning.

Around 10 p.m. Monday, deputies tried pulling over a driver, who the sheriff said was a parolee, at Arden Way near Morse Avenue. The driver initially stopped, but then took off in his vehicle ? prompting a chase, the sheriff said. The suspect eventually crashed his car, ending the chase on the Cal Expo grounds near the horse track.

The sheriff said the suspect refused to comply with commands to roll down his windows or exit his vehicle.

Deputies and backup officers then devised a plan, Jones said, to deploy less-lethal force and shot out the suspect's back window, but the suspect still did not comply with commands to surrender.

At that point, deputies deployed a K-9, and the suspect immediately opened fire, killing the dog. The suspect then continued firing shots at deputies, Jones said.

Multiple deputies returned gunfire, according to Jones.

In the shootout with the suspect, a six-year veteran of the force was killed. The sheriff said that deputy leaves behind a wife and an infant.

"They all take a vow. They all take an oath. They all are ready to lay down their lives so people can sleep in peace," Jones said. "We never want to have to make good on that promise, and tonight, unfortunately, one young deputy did."

The suspect, identified only as a man in his 40s, was also killed when multiple deputies fired their weapons. Jones said the number of rounds fired complicates the investigation.

"There were a lot of shooting officers," Jones said. "There were a lot of shots fired. And so ... the crime scene investigators will want to do their best to try and account for each of the shots. There's going to be a lot of interviews to try and get some of that information and, obviously, some of those interviews will take some time."

A second deputy was also shot and wounded. That officer is now recovering at UC Davis Medical Center and is expected to survive.

Deputies closed off Ethan Way from Exposition Boulevard and Hurley Way during the investigation.

It is unknown why deputies first tried pulling over the suspect.

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

https://www.kcra.com/article/large-l...expo/35248766#

https://www.kcra.com/article/large-l...expo/35248766#

Here is an Update

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —
    A Sacramento County sheriff's deputy and a K-9 officer died after a shootout on Cal Expo grounds with a chase suspect who was also killed, Sheriff Scott Jones said early Tuesday morning.

Around 10 p.m. Monday, deputies tried pulling over a driver, who the sheriff said was a parolee, at Arden Way near Morse Avenue. The driver initially stopped, but then took off in his vehicle — prompting a chase, the sheriff said. The suspect eventually crashed his car, ending the chase on the Cal Expo grounds near the horse track.

The sheriff said the suspect refused to comply with commands to roll down his windows or exit his vehicle.

Deputies and backup officers then devised a plan, Jones said, to deploy less-lethal force and shot out the suspect's back window, but the suspect still did not comply with commands to surrender.

At that point, deputies deployed a K-9, and the suspect immediately opened fire, killing the dog. The suspect then continued firing shots at deputies, Jones said.

Multiple deputies returned gunfire, according to Jones.

In the shootout with the suspect, 31-year-old Adam Gibson, six-year veteran of the force was killed. The sheriff said that the deputy leaves behind a wife and an infant.

The K-9 officer killed was identified by the sheriff's office as 5-year-old Riley.

"They all take a vow. They all take an oath. They all are ready to lay down their lives so people can sleep in peace," Jones said. "We never want to have to make good on that promise, and tonight, unfortunately, one young deputy did."
    The suspect, identified only as a man in his 40s, was also killed when multiple deputies fired their weapons. Jones said the number of rounds fired complicates the investigation.

"There were a lot of shooting officers," Jones said. "There were a lot of shots fired. And so ... the crime scene investigators will want to do their best to try and account for each of the shots. There's going to be a lot of interviews to try and get some of that information and, obviously, some of those interviews will take some time."

Gov. Gavin Newsom also commented Tuesday on the deputy shooting.

“Jennifer and I extend our heartfelt condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Sheriff’s Deputy Gibson and the departmental canine who lost their lives in this tragic incident. Our thoughts are also with the Deputy who was injured last night. Deputy Gibson will forever be remembered for his selfless sacrifice and his commitment to providing safety and security for the Sacramento community,” Newsom said in a statement.

A second deputy was also shot and wounded. That officer is now recovering at UC Davis Medical Center and is expected to survive.

Deputies closed off Ethan Way from Exposition Boulevard and Hurley Way during the investigation.

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

Not the dog! Ron, where you at?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Rest in peace, Officer Gibson and K9 Riley...
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/mo...po-speaks-out/

Robert Stephen Calderon has been identified as the person accused of Killing a Sacramento Sheriff's officer and was also killed by police.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KTXL) — Sources have identified Robert Stephen Calderon as the man officials say killed a Sacramento County sheriff’s deputy and a K-9 Monday night.

Calderon was killed in an exchange of gunfire with deputies.

Calderon’s mother, Juanita “Jennie” Calderon, told FOX40 on Tuesday that her son was not a bad man but was caught in a bad situation.

“What happened? What happened? I go, ‘Well, I don’t know what happened,'” she said.

The last time Robert Calderon spoke to his mother was in their shared Sacramento apartment, saying he was going to Home Depot and coming right back.

But when he didn’t come home or pick up his phone, Jennie Calderon knew something was wrong when two officers showed up at her door.

“I go, ‘What did he get himself into? Did he get caught with drugs again?'” she recalled. “And then they told me my son had shot an officer and killed him and that they had killed him.”

Jennie Calderon added that her son’s actions may have been brought on by fear.

“They surrounded him and told him to come out, and if I know my son couldn’t come out, he just couldn’t,” she told FOX40. “And so they broke the back of his vehicle and the dog jumped in and my son is afraid of dogs.”

Calderon’s history and run-ins with law enforcement date back to 1993 when he was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer. His last arrest was in 2016 in Oklahoma, where he admitted to taking PCP before destroying a hotel room.

Lately, his mother said his mental state had also been unusual.

“I do know that in the last week or two, he’d been seeing things, people that come from the wall,” she remembered.

She also suspected in the last few days he had a gun.

“I asked him, ‘Did you get rid of the gun?’ And he said yes. And I said, ‘And you’re not lying to me?’ He said no,” she said.

Jennie Calderon faces eviction and now that her son is no longer there to help her, the future looks uncertain.

“We were close and I loved him very much,” she said.

She said she also sends her condolences to the family of the deputy and the K-9 who were killed.

It always makes me sad about the dog (of course the human officers, too) but the poor dogs put themselves in harm's way and have no choice. I feel like all doggies should live happy, comfortable lives at home.

Sorry, I am just a huge dog lover and this makes me really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/de...-off-overpass/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KTXL) – Sacramento County Sheriff’s Deputy Adam Gibson, who was killed Monday night in a shootout at Cal Expo, rescued a man who fell from an overpass on Highway 99 just a few years ago.

In March 2018, a man who abandoned his plan to jump from the overpass lost his grip while trying to climb back onto the pedestrian bridge on the north side of the highway at Elk Grove Boulevard.

Deputy Gibson asked a driver to position his tour bus under the man in trouble, where he then fell 20 feet to safety.

The man was transferred to an area hospital where he later recovered.

Gibson was awarded the Sheriff’s Office Bronze Star for Bravery and a Major Incident Ribbon for his actions and quick thinking.

“We are all very proud of Deputy Gibson’s swift actions and bravery and know the community appreciates his actions. Deputy Gibson, thank you for everything you did today, Sacramento County is grateful that you keep our streets safe every day!” the sheriff’s office wrote in their 2018 Facebook post about the rescue.
    https://cahpcu.org/DeputyAdamGibsonMemorialFund

t 10:07 p.m. on January 18, 2021, Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office Deputies saw an occupied vehicle in a parking lot near Arden Way and Avondale Avenue that matched the description of a vehicle involved in a burglary series. Deputies initiated contact with the single occupant of the vehicle and were able to identify the subject as being on active parole. The subject became uncooperative and fled in his vehicle when deputies attempted to search the vehicle. A short pursuit ensued that terminated inside of the Cal Expo Complex located at 1600 Exposition Boulevard. The suspect vehicle became disabled after striking a curb and came to rest near a chain-link fence. Multiple patrol units gathered at the termination point to assist the initial deputies. Deputies gave several commands for the suspect to exit his vehicle and he refused. Deputies deployed less-lethal “bean bag” rounds into the suspect vehicle’s back window in an attempt to see inside. A K-9 handler deployed his K-9 into the back window of the vehicle at which time several shots were fired from within the vehicle. Two deputies and the canine were struck by the suspect’s gunfire. Multiple deputies returned fire.

The wounded officers were transported by deputies in patrol units to an area hospital. Deputy Adam Gibson, a 31-year-old, 6 year veteran of the department, was pronounced deceased at the hospital. A second deputy was stabilized and transported to a trauma center for further treatment. K-9 Riley also died at the scene. K-9 Riley was 5 years old and had been in-service with our office for 3 years. Fire arrived and pronounced the sole occupant of the suspect vehicle deceased at the scene.

Deputy Gibson leaves behind his wife Rachel Gibson, 9-month-old child, his parents Doug and Sandee Gibson and several siblings. Deputy Gibson served in the United States Marine Corps and did two tours in Afghanistan. Since joining the department in 2014 he has worked in corrections, patrol and most recently a canine handler. Deputy Gibson received the Sheriff’s Office Bronze Star for Bravery and a Major Incident Ribbon in 2018.

Donations can also be sent to:
    Deputy Adam Gibson Memorial Fund
    PO Box 276507
    Sacramento, CA 95827

https://abc30.com/california-sheriff...ibson/9823114/
    . A California sheriff's deputy was killed and another deputy was wounded in a shootout with a suspect who gunned down a K-9 dog before he was fatally shot, authorities said.

The gunbattle erupted in Sacramento near a racetrack at the Cal Expo event venue after a vehicle pursuit late Monday, Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones said.

The deputy who died was identified as Adam Gibson, a six-year veteran of the department, Jones said. "He leaves behind a wife and an infant child," the sheriff said.

The injured deputy was in stable condition, Jones said.

Jones said the suspect was a man in his 40s but didn't release his name

He was identified Tuesday as Robert Stephen Calderon by his mother, Jenny Calderon, who talked to the Sacramento Bee. He had a history of criminal activity, drug use and mental illness, according to his family and court records.

Calderon said that her son had been on drugs in the past, and "I think he was bi-polar."

"He saw people coming out of the walls," she said. "They would come, and they would abuse him. And he was mad at me because he thought I was letting them into his room."

Calderon said that led him to get a gun and that she had no idea how he was able to obtain it.

"I told him to get rid of it, I told him you have to go get some help, and you have to get rid of that gun," she said.

The pursuit and shooting followed an attempted traffic stop, Jones said, and the driver ended up crashing on the Cal Expo grounds.

"One of the K-9 officers deployed a K-9 dog up to the vehicle to try and assist getting the suspect out of the vehicle. The suspect immediately shot and killed the K-9 unit, then immediately started firing at the officers," Jones said.

It wasn't immediately known what prompted the attempted traffic stop.

The Sacramento Police Department plans to handle the investigation, Jones said.

Gov. Gavin Newsom offered condolences to the slain deputy's family.

"Deputy Gibson will forever be remembered for his selfless sacrifice and his commitment to providing safety and security for the Sacramento community," Newsom said in a statement.

Calderon's family described him as a former truck driver and in-home health services worker who loved animals and had a small pug named Max. They said he was frequently homeless and living in a Chevrolet Suburban, often parking it outside the used clothing store where deputies contacted him Monday night.

Calderon cycled in and out of custody for decades, according to court records.

He had a combined nine felony and misdemeanor cases out of Sacramento County dating to 1993, Superior Court records show. The cases generally involve drugs and stolen vehicles. His most recent local case, a felony, came in 2012. He was sentenced to 16 months in state prison for vehicle theft.

Jenny Calderon broke down several times speaking about her son and what he had done. Speaking in her apartment, Calderon said she was mourning not only her son, but especially the fallen deputy and his family.

"I'm glad he's dead because if he knew what he had done to that deputy's family, he wouldn't be able to live with himself," she said.

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/sa...th-procession/
    FOLSOM, Calif. (KTXL) — A procession was held Friday for a Sacramento County Sheriff’s deputy who was killed in the line of duty.

Dozens of law enforcement vehicles followed the hearse carrying 31-year-old Deputy Adam Gibson from the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office to a funeral home in Folsom.

First responders from across the region staged on overpasses above Highway 50 and lined the procession route to honor the deputy.

Gibson and a K-9 were both killed by a suspect at Cal Expo late Monday following a chase.

Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office identifies deputy, suspect killed in Cal Expo shootout
    Just days later, Gibson’s brothers and sisters in uniform gathered to pay their respects and say goodbye to a man who exemplified what it meant to protect and serve.

Before joining the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office, Gibson served two tours in Afghanistan as a Marine.

As his body arrived at the funeral home, local Marines stood outside for one final salute.

Even during his service as a deputy in Sacramento, Gibson was recognized for his heroic actions.

In 2018, he was awarded a Bronze Star for bravery after using quick thinking to position a tour bus under a man who was dangling from an overpass, saving his life.

Deputy uses tour bus to break man’s fall along Highway 99
    Deputy Gibson leaves behind his wife and 9-month-old daughter.

Another deputy was injured in Monday’s shootout but is expected to survive. The suspect in that deadly shooting was shot and killed during the incident.

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/sh...expo-shootout/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KTXL) — The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office released video and audio clips Wednesday morning of a deadly shootout at Cal Expo on Jan. 18.

Deputy Adam Gibson and K-9 Riley were killed, along with 46-year-old Robert Stephen Calderon, with whom deputies had exchanged gunfire. Another deputy was wounded.

Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office identifies deputy, suspect killed in Cal Expo shootout
    According to the sheriff’s office, deputies had pulled over a vehicle that evening that matched the description of one sought in a string of thefts. Officials said the driver, later identified as Calderon, led deputies on a short chase that ended when Calderon hit a curb and chain-link fence in a Cal Expo parking lot.

Deputies commanded Calderon to get out of the vehicle and used less-lethal bean bag rounds to break the vehicle’s windows, according to the sheriff’s office. The vehicle’s windows were “heavily tinted,” sheriff’s office spokesman Sgt. Rod Grassman said in the video release.

“He is digging around in the back seat. He’s reaching for a backpack,” a deputy is heard saying in the video.

A K-9 was then sent in through the back window and Calderon began firing. Calderon fired nine shots at deputies, Grassman said.

Several deputies returned fire.

Gibson was taken to the hospital in a patrol vehicle, where he later died. K-9 Riley was pronounced dead at the scene.

Family, law enforcement gather to honor fallen Deputy Adam Gibson
    In the video release, Grassman said Calderon had a .40 caliber Glock 27 semiautomatic handgun with an extended magazine in the cupholder. He also had two grams of meth in his pockets, Grassman said.

The video release can be seen here.

The video clips in Wednesday’s release do not include body camera video. Some Sacramento County sheriff’s deputies in some specialized units began wearing cameras in mid-February, with Sheriff Scott Jones saying there would be a complete rollout in June.

Thread Information