Thread: Child's Remains Found in Wall of SC House

Child's Remains Found in Wall of SC House

The remains of a baby/fetus were found hidden in the wall of a house in Pacolet, SC that was being remodeled. I did a little searching and it appears all of the homes on Milliken Road were built circa 1915, so the baby could have been placed there anytime during the past 105 years. This should be interesting.

Also, feeling pretty chuffed at creating my first MDS article in fifteen years!

https://www.wspa.com/news/fetal-huma...506J1RMsiR8P6o

PACOLET, S.C. (WSPA) ? An investigation is underway after a child?s remains were found in the wall of a home in Pacolet on Saturday.

Spartanburg County Coroner Rusty Clevenger said his office responded Saturday night to the home, located on Milliken Street, regarding possible remains being found within a wall of a residence.

Clevenger said the house was being remodeling when the remains were found.

In his 30 years as the Spartanburg County Coroner, Clevenger said this is unlike anything he?s ever seen.

?It does shock the conscience of most people,? Clevenger said. ?I would say 99.9% of the people, it would definitely shock them, but we move forward.?

The investigation is in the beginning stages, but Clevenger said they believed the remains have been concealed for a long period of time.

?We have already talked to our pathologist and our anthropologist about this. We?re going to refer it to the anthropologist, forensic anthropologist, and it takes an amount of time to be able to catalogue all the bones,? Clevenger said.

The coroner?s office will follow up after the exam with law enforcement to determine other aspects of the investigation. He said anthropology exams take much longer than pathology exams and it could take several months to obtain the report from the forensic anthropology in this case.

?We are human first and foremost, but we have to try and gain as much information, make sense out of any scene that we?re on and make a good solid decision on which direction we need to go,? Clevenger said.

If there is foul play involved, law enforcement will have a larger hand in the investigation.

We?ll continue to update this story as we learn more. Check back for updates.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    The remains of a baby/fetus were found hidden in the wall of a house in Pacolet, SC that was being remodeled. I did a little searching and it appears all of the homes on Milliken Road were built circa 1915, so the baby could have been placed there anytime during the past 105 years. This should be interesting.

Also, feeling pretty chuffed at creating my first MDS article in fifteen years!

https://www.wspa.com/news/fetal-huma...506J1RMsiR8P6o
    Congrats on your first thread!

They'll be hard pressed to do anything about being able to identify this baby. It sounds like it was a miscarriage or abortion that was hidden away. I wonder if this is the first time the house has been remodeled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Congrats on your first thread!

They'll be hard pressed to do anything about being able to identify this baby. It sounds like it was a miscarriage or abortion that was hidden away. I wonder if this is the first time the house has been remodeled.
    Ditto on the congrats! There should be property records that will narrow down the possibilities after the exam. However, the parents are probably dead.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Really? You've never made a thread before? Wow. Congrats!
    Nope, this is my first. I have a ways to go before I catch up to you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    Ditto on the congrats! There should be property records that will narrow down the possibilities after the exam. However, the parents are probably dead.
    I read a lot of old newspapers and hiding dead babies in walls and septic systems was pretty common back at the turn of the century when having a child out of wedlock was a fate worse than death. Better a dead baby than a scarlet letter. Sad.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 01-09-2021 at 04:37 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

There is actually a small update to this story on the Pacolet (SC) history page.

https://pacoletmemories.com/SadMystery.pdf

Regarding the house itself, it was a factory house built in 1912 and owned by the Mill Company (1883-1983). It was occupied by a series of families throughout the year. In 1950, the company sold the house to the present owner's grandparents. The owner's father was born in the house.

When tearing out a wall they found a piece of cloth with something wrapped in it. They unwrapped it and it was the skeletal remains of a baby and was very small. They immediately contacted the police who quickly came, along with the Coroner. They said it was too small to have ever lived. Jackie said he thinks the only way it could have gotten where it was in the wall, was for someone to climb into the attic and drop it down into the wall between the studs. There is a small opening into the attic at the top of the bedroom closet.
    Short of a dna test, this mystery will never be solved.

Thread Information