Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Keyon Harrold Jr (14) was harassed and tackled after being falsely accused of stealing a phone

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    She's been taken in to custody:

PIRU, Calif. -- A California woman seen on video tackling a Black teenager whom she falsely accused of stealing her phone at a Manhattan hotel is in custody in the Los Angeles area, law enforcement officials say.

Police said Thursday night Miya Ponsetto was taken into custody by the Ventura County Sheriff's Department. NYPD detectives, who had flown to California to assist with the search, were also present for the arrest.

The Ventura County sheriff's deputies had planned to make a traffic stop on the warrant for her arrest out of New York, but she refused to stop and drove slowly through her Piru, Calif., neighborhood, officials say.

When she came to a stop, she put up a fight and resisted arrest. ABC News reports she had to be physically restrained and arrested.

Ponsetto is being held on no bail and will have an extradition hearing. Once she is done with New York, she could also face charges in California for resisting arrest and possibly for the pursuit.

Ponsetto was confirmed as the woman in the Dec. 26 video by her attorney, Sharen Ghatan.

Ghatan said Ponsetto is "emotionally unwell" and remorseful.

RELATED: New video shows woman attacking innocent Black teen she thought stole her phone at NYC hotel

Police say images show the woman inside the Arlo Hotel in SoHo attacking 14-year-old Keyon Harrold Jr. before running off.

The conflict at the Arlo Hotel in lower Manhattan between Ponsetto and 14-year-old Keyon Harrold Jr. was recorded by his father, jazz trumpeter Keyon Harrold, and put online.

In his video, an agitated woman is seen demanding her phone be returned while a hotel manager tries to settle the situation.

Security video later released by the NYPD shows the woman frantically chasing down the teen as he tried to exit the hotel's front door. She's seen grabbing him from behind before both tumble to the ground. Harrold has said the phone was returned by an Uber driver shortly afterward.

The altercation drew comparisons to cases like that of Amy Cooper, a white woman who was charged with filing a false report for calling 911 and saying she was being threatened by "an African American man" during a dispute in New York's Central Park in May.

Harrold has called on the Manhattan district attorney to bring assault and battery charges against Ponsetto.

Ghatan said she spoke to her client, who lives near Los Angeles, on Thursday, and that "she strikes me as someone who's unwell."

She said Ponsetto "lashed out" over worry about her phone disappearing, and that it wasn't racially motivated.

It "could have been anyone," she said.

https://abc7.com/woman-who-confronte...stody/9451323/
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I have no words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

I hope they throw the book at her and use this as a learning tool for every mixed race person who thinks they can oppressively attack a famous black trumpet player's son in any random upscale hotel in NYC! , They should make a law to protect those from such attacks. They could call it the, "You're gonna get spanked real good if you're a nutty mixed race piece of shit and you attack a famous trumpet player's son because you think he has your iPhone" hate-crime law.

What a waste of taxpayers money and resources. Let's send a barrage of Barney Fife's out to sunny southern California for at least a week to apprehend and bring back some unhinged dolt because the media said, "Soho-Karen" and intentionally misled the salivating, race-baiting masses to believe that this was "Yet another hate crime committed by those evil whites!" If she had been a Puerto Rican who attacked a "famous Asian chef's son" then fled to Fargo North Dakota, not only would this not have made the 6th page of The New York Times but you wouldn't have found one NYC Copper to fly to a frozen wasteland to capture America's Public Enemy Number one...

I'm off my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilzAdvocate View Post
    What a waste of taxpayers money and resources. Let's send a barrage of Barney Fife's out to sunny southern California for at least a week to apprehend and bring back some unhinged dolt because the media said, "Soho-Karen" and intentionally misled the salivating, race-baiting masses to believe that this was "Yet another hate crime committed by those evil whites!" If she had been a Puerto Rican who attacked a "famous Asian chef's son" then fled to Fargo North Dakota, not only would this not have made the 6th page of The New York Times but you wouldn't have found one NYC Copper to fly to a frozen wasteland to capture America's Public Enemy Number one...

I'm off my soapbox.
    Well, I'd rather they use their time doing this than killing unarmed POC and letting morons storm the Capitol. Besides, seems like she deserved it. She got through making her "apology" and "showing remorse" and admitting that she had "anger issues" just long enough to lead cops on a pursuit then resist arrest and fight the cops. Albeit a slow pursuit. Regardless, she refused to stop. She's now earned even more charges when she returns to SoCal. All she had to do was be a decent human, but she doesn't seem to be capable of that.

Well, I'd rather they use their time doing this than killing unarmed POC and letting morons storm the Capitol. Besides, seems like she deserved it. She got through making her "apology" and "showing remorse" and admitting that she had "anger issues" just long enough to lead cops on a pursuit then resist arrest and fight the cops. Albeit a slow pursuit. Regardless, she refused to stop. She's now earned even more charges when she returns to SoCal. All she had to do was be a decent human, but she doesn't seem to be capable of that.
    Like I said before, she's a crazy unhinged cunt used to getting what she wants.

I have words now.
    She must have her head up her ass or still have that high school, I'm a cheerleader mentality if she thinks a fake apology will suddenly stop the police from arresting her and making her face charges.
    I'm kind of scared to see how her brain works.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    I have words now.
    She must have her head up her ass or still have that high school, I'm a cheerleader mentality if she thinks a fake apology will suddenly stop the police from arresting her and making her face charges.
    I'm kind of scared to see how her brain works.
    Well Miya Ponsetto will try an pull the "Affulenza defense" or "Popular Cheerleader" defense all she is the female version of Ethan Couch.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/4140006001/

Keyon Harrold does an editorial on the Attack and I agree on all counts.

On Dec. 30, I stood in Manhattan, New York's City Hall Park where 14 years prior, Kat Rodriguez (my son's mother) and I watched a performance by saxophonist Miguel Zenon. I remember that day, and being at that location because it was also the day that Kat told me that we were pregnant, and that I was about to embark on my dream job of fatherhood.

Last month, I returned to that area for a news conference ? one for the sole purpose of protecting my son, whom I had spent years trying to shield from the world's injustices.

The irony.

The day after Christmas, my son and I were walking through the lobby of New York City's Arlo Hotel, when a woman falsely accused him of stealing her cellphone, pulled hotel management into her biased rant and tackled my 14-year-old without provocation.
    Hotel staff demanded to see my son Keyon Harrold Jr.'s phone.

My first thought was to protect him from the verbal and physical attacks we were both facing.

I?ve seen comments that ask: "Why didn't you just give over the cellphone?" The answer is simple: Because my son and I have rights.

There are many nuances that play into the societal problems that I, as a Black man, often deal with. What if I had lost my cellphone, walked into an upscale establishment and wrongfully accused a 14-year-old white child of stealing my phone, then assaulted that child and his father? Would the establishment's manager have enabled me to attack them and allowed me to leave the establishment only to realize later that I lost my phone in an Uber? Would it have taken several days to locate and identify me? I will leave it to you to ponder and then answer those questions.

False accusations against and assumptions about Black people are frequently at the root of run-ins with the law and have been used to justify the killing of Black and brown people at the hands of both civilians and police. My son and I were robbed of civil respect. My word was of no value. My son was racially profiled and wrongfully accused by a person who left her phone in an Uber.

My freedom to simply get Boxing Day brunch is now a part of the traumatic canon of staying in a hotel while Black. A random woman deputized the Arlo's manager to assist in a disastrous trauma.

Video that I posted on Instagram of the incident shows that I tried with all of my faculties to get the manager and the person who attacked us at the hotel to hear me. What did I want them to hear? The truth that we did not have her phone. That should have either ended the conversation or, at the least, taken it in a direction that was civil, nonconfrontational and just.

We were presumed guilty and required to comply with white authority. We were forced to accept injustice as normalcy and the rule. Where is justice? There is often no accountability for false accusations.

Column:How do we stop deadly police bias, use of force? Start by hiring only those with a true calling

We have witnessed the tragic story of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old who was tackled and killed by a self-deputized neighborhood protector. Even after the 911 operator told killer George Zimmerman not to follow the teen, he pursued Trayvon, shot him to death and avoided conviction.

And we know the seminal tale of Emmett Till, who was killed in 1955 at the age of 14 after being accused of flirting with a white woman. The white men who beat him and dumped his body into a river were also not convicted.

Policing the USA:A look at race, justice, media

These stories echo the banality of many who have asked why I didn't attack her. It is an unspoken truth that if I, as a Black man, had been equally violent, this horrific travesty would not have brought about the awareness that can lead to change. Chances are it would have ended in tragedy for myself and my son. And even if it hadn?t, what kind of an example would I have been to my son if I had done that?

My child was accosted, wrongfully accused and assaulted while I was present. This issue is not wholly about the person who committed the violent attack. It is about how a system is programmed not to believe Black people, and to believe everyone else.

The manager?s first response was to empower an erratic person with baseless claims. He irresponsibly used his hotel job as the basis to enable and authorize a person to violate us. At no time did he look at my son and me as people who deserved to be heard. At no time did he try to stop her aggression. At no time did my words or my son's words mean anything to his establishment even though I was a paying customer.

This incident is part of a systemic problem, embedded in the instincts of too many.

I want to end with the following questions:

Why weren't we protected in America?

Why weren?t we afforded respect in America?

Why weren't our words trusted or even considered in America?

Maybe the answer is because of the systemic racism in America.

What would have happened to my son if I had not been there to protect him?

Oh, this is hilarious. Apparently assaulting a person is only "hurting their feelings". I'm only posting snippets, the rest is at the link:

In a virtual interview that took place hours before she was arrested in California, Miya Ponsetto, 22, snapped "Enough!" at CBS This Morning host Gayle King as she held a defiant hand in the air.
    In an exclusive interview over Zoom on Thursday, Ponsetto -- accompanied by her lawyer -- tells Gayle King, "I admit, I could have approached the situation differently, or maybe not yelled at him like that or made him feel ... inferior, or like I was hurting his feelings."
    Ponsetto tells King she "considers [herself] to be super-sweet" and "really never meant for it to hurt him or his father."
    https://people.com/crime/woman-who-a...ual-interview/

God she is such a cunt.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

3:01 PM PT -- Prosecutors in New York are charging Miya with 4 felonies ... attempted robbery, endangering the welfare of a child, attempted grand larceny and attempted assault.

2:11 PM PT -- Miya has just made her first appearance in Ventura County court before a judge, via Zoom.

6:36 AM PT -- 1/8 -- Miya denied racially profiling Keyon Jr. in an interview with Gayle King hours before her arrest. The interview was so tense that at one point Miya essentially told Gayle to shut it.

Miya says she admits she could have approached the situation differently "and maybe not yelled at him like that and made him feel some sort of inferior way and making him feel as if I was like hurting his feelings."

The 22-year-old woman caught on camera allegedly physically attacking a 14-year-old Black teen and falsely accusing him of stealing her phone was arrested in California.

In an exclusive interview, Miya Ponsetto and her lawyer spoke with @GayleKing hours before she was arrested. pic.twitter.com/ezaGkcWZ8j— CBS This Morning (@CBSThisMorning) January 8, 2021 @CBSThisMorning

She added, "I consider myself to be super sweet. I really never meant to hurt him or his father, either." But, when Gayle pressed Miya about the context of her actions, Miya responded, "How is one girl accusing a guy about a phone a crime? Where’s the context in that? What is the deeper story here?"

When Gayle intersected, Miya told Gayle, "Alright, Gayle. Enough."

7:54 PM PT -- Law enforcement sources tell us Miya went anything but peacefully. We're told officers attempted to pull her over 3 blocks from home, but she refused. Once in her driveway, officers had to physically pull Miya out of her car and in the process, she attempted to slam the door on a deputies leg, we're told she will likely face additional charges of resisting arrest.

Ponsetto is being held without bail as she'll be extradited to NYC.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/01/07/soho-...-cellphone-la/

I need a gif of Miya using that enough hand gesture. I dislike the vapid cunt, but that's hilarious!

https://nypost.com/2021/01/29/soho-k...harge-dropped/

“Soho Karen” Miya Ponsetto caught a break this week when a charge of public intoxication against her was dropped in connection with an altercation at a Beverly Hills hotel last year, according to a report.

Ponsetto, 22, who has blamed the son of jazz trumpeter Keyon Harrold Sr. of stealing her iPhone, had her case in LA County Court dismissed Thursday after her lawyer argued it was an isolated incident and she had no criminal history in California at the time, TMZ reported.

Her mother, Nicole, who also was in court Thursday, pled no contest to battery on a police officer in the incident and was sentenced to 100 hours of community service and entered into a 12-month diversion program, according to the outlet.

Video has recently emerged of Ponsetto in a later incident as she fought with cops during a DUI bust in California.

She could seen in the Oct. 3 footage outside a Chevron gas station with her mom in Ventura, Calif. As an officer tries to place her in cuffs, she resisted, and he was seen wrestling her to the ground. Her blood-alcohol level was allegedly twice the legal limit, and she was charged with DUI, resisting arrest and obstructing/delaying a peace officer or EMT.

Five days earlier, Ponsetto was placed on probation after pleading no contest to a drunken driving arrest from May 28 in LA.

On Jan. 9, Ponsetto was hauled back to the Big Apple in police custody and arraigned on charges of attempted robbery, attempted assault, endangering. the welfare of a child and grand larceny for the caught-on-camera attack on 14-year-old Keyon Harrold.

During the now-infamous confrontation, which made national headlines and earned her the nickname “Soho Karen,” Ponsetto falsely accused the teen, Keyon Harrold Jr., of swiping her cellphone before tackling him in the lobby of the Arlo Hotel in Soho.

https://thesouthern.com/sports/fergu...10819b563.html

Hope for the best

Ferguson native Keyon Harrold is still in shock after a December incident involving his son made national headlines, but they’re making the best of the situation and using it to spark change and awareness.

On the day after Christmas, a woman falsely accused Harrold’s son of stealing her cellphone at a New York City hotel. Video of the altercation, filmed by Harrold, went viral, and the family appeared on national news shows to address the injustice.

(The woman’s phone was found in an Uber, and she was arrested on multiple charges.)

“Life has taken a crazy turn. It’s a lot,” says Harrold, a Grammy-winning trumpet player who has performed with a who’s who of artists. Keyon Harrold Jr., now 15, is doing OK. “We’re doing self-care to come out of this in a positive light.”

One positive outcome: Harrold has taken over as curator of Spotify’s Black Lives Matter playlist, featuring songs of empowerment and pride. “These are songs that touch the heart,” he says. “They’re songs about love, freedom and encouragement.”

The playlist links to Color of Change, a racial justice organization.

Watch Now: World's largest snow maze is now even bigger, and more of today's top videos
    “We want people to sign the (organization’s) petition to create legislation that will limit and stop the mistreatment and racial profiling of Black people, normalize fair treatment of Black people and hold people accountable, from the perpetrator to the establishment,” says Harrold.

MatchUp: NBA wide
    The goal is to obtain 100,000 signatures.

This is crucial, he says, as Blacks are treated as “the lowest of the low. What happens in our struggle sometimes gets overlooked and overtaken. Our existence needs to stand on its own, and music is a perfect way to show that influence, to show our dexterity, our confidence, our emotions, our excellence and our beauty. We are the salt of the earth when it comes to our influence, but we’re so persecuted and looked at in such a disrespectful way.”

With the Spotify playlist, he says, he hopes to eliminate “marginalized images of Black people and create better images of how it’s supposed to be.”

The playlist leads with Common and Jessica Care Moore’s “(A Beautiful Revolution) Intro,” a song Harrold played on. The playlist also features “Black Parade” (Beyonc?), “Say It Loud, I’m Black and I’m Proud” (James Brown), “DNA.” and “Alright” (Kendrick Lamar), “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised” (Gil Scott-Heron), “Young, Gifted and Black” (Aretha Franklin), “This Is America” (Childish Gambino), “What’s Going On” (Marvin Gaye), “Glory” (Common and John Legend), “I Can’t Breathe” (H.E.R.), “Strange Fruit” (Nina Simone), “A Change Is Gonna Come” (Leslie Odom Jr.) and “Colors” (Black Pumas).

The first song Harrold knew he had to include was J. Cole’s “Be Free.” His son introduced him to it.

“My son and I listen to a lot of music together, and he wanted it,” Harrold says. His son also brought D Smoke and Jill Scott’s “Sunkissed Child” to the table.

“MB Lament” was another early addition, from Harrold’s 2017 album “The Mugician.” He wrote the song in response to Michael Brown’s 2014 death in Ferguson.

Other songs from “The Mugician” that are on the playlist include “Wayfaring Traveler” (featuring Robert Glasper, Georgia Ann Muldrow and Jermaine Holmes) and “Stay This Way” (featuring Big K.R.I.T. and Bilal).

A number of the songs on the playlist are songs Harrold has co-written, produced or played on with other artists, such as Gregory Porter’s “Everything You Touch Is Gold,” Big K.R.I.T.’s “Drinking Sessions” and Samm Henshaw’s “All Good.”

Ads promoting Harrold and the Spotify playlist have appeared in Times Square and Penn Plaza in New York.

“It’s inspiring and amazing, and I appreciate the folks at Spotify for promoting a better image,” Harrold says. “We are vibrant people and should be looked at as vibrant. I appreciate Spotify. We’re here in Black History Month, and they chose an image of me and my son. We’re honored.”

Though Harrold had been involved with a few playlists and DJ sets in the past for Tidal, Soho Radio and other platforms, “this one is special,” he says. “It’s about humanity.”

Harrold recognizes that some people are hearing of him for the first time because of the hotel incident, though he’s been around for a long time. “I’m always about Black celebration, Black elevation and Black mourning as part of my brand.”

Harrold has new music in the wings, his first since “The Mugician.” But Harrold Jr. is actually up first; he is a producer, drummer, bassist and songwriter known as Key-Minor. He and his group, the Tribe, recently released a song titled “Unjustified Times,” featuring his father on production and vocal arrangement and his mother, saxophonist Kat Rodriguez, on video editing and co-lyrics.

https://pix11.com/news/soho-karen-su...n-viral-video/

SOHO, Manhattan — The family of a Black teenager who was falsely accused of stealing a woman’s cellphone at a SoHo hotel last year filed a lawsuit Wednesday alleging that the woman and the hotel engaged in racial profiling.

Attorney Ben Crump filed the lawsuit on behalf of Keyon Harrold Jr., 14, and his parents. The lawsuit alleged Arlo Hotels violated New York City’s Human Rights Law, which prohibits discrimination in public accommodations such as hotels.

The family said the hotel “failed to protect” Keyon in its lobby. The teen and his father, Keyon Harrold Sr., were guests at the hotel while the woman who made the false accusation, Miya Ponsetto, was not.

Keyon’s parents said on Wednesday the teen is still upset about the incident.

Keyon and his father were exiting the Arlo SoHo Hotel lobby in December when Ponsetto suddenly accused the teen of stealing her phone without providing any evidence to suggest he was involved.

The encounter was recorded on cellphone video, which captured Ponsetto tackling Keyon in an effort to take his own phone away from him.

Security video later released by the NYPD showed Ponsetto frantically grabbed at the teenager as he tried to get away from her through the hotel’s front door. She then clutched him from behind and both tumbled to the ground, the video showed.

Ponsetto’s phone was later returned to the hotel by an Uber driver. Critics on social media dubbed Ponsetto the “SoHo Karen.”

Additionally, the family said the hotel manager, Chad Nathan, empowered Ponsetto by asking the teen to give up his own phone to prove his innocence.

Ponsetto, Nathan and Arlo SoHo LLC are among the defendants named in the lawsuit.

A request for comment from Arlo Hotels was not immediately returned. Paul D’Emilia, an attorney for Ponsetto, said his client has not been informed of any lawsuit.

Police also charged Ponsetto, who lives in California, with attempted assault and other crimes in connection with the incident. She was arrested in January.

A judge gave Ponsetto supervised release and granted orders of protection in favor of the victims. Ponsetto is due back in criminal court on Monday.

This story comprises reporting from The Associated Press.

Thread Information