Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Keyon Harrold Jr (14) was harassed and tackled after being falsely accused of stealing a phone

Keyon Harrold Jr (14) was harassed and tackled after being falsely accused of stealing a phone

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/vi...investigation/

A confrontation in which a man said a woman tackled his 14-year-old Black son in a New York City hotel lobby as she falsely accused the teen of stealing her phone is under investigation, city prosecutors said Monday.

Keyon Harrold, a prominent jazz trumpeter, posted a widely viewed video of the confrontation Saturday at the Arlo Hotel. He said the unidentified woman scratched him and tackled and grabbed his son, Keyon Harrold Jr., at the lower Manhattan hotel where the pair were staying.

?He?s the sweetest, most genuine kid you could ask for,? Harrold said in an interview Monday evening. ?I was just appalled at how he was treated.?

The video shows an agitated woman demanding her phone be returned while a hotel manager tries to settle the situation. At one point, the woman appears to rush forward and says, ?I?m not letting him walk away with my phone!?

Harrold said the phone was returned by an Uber driver shortly afterward.

The confrontation prompted comparisons to recent incidents involving false accusations against Black people.

A white woman was charged with filing a false report for calling 911 and saying she was being threatened by ?an African American man? during a dispute with a Black man in New York?s Central Park in May. That case inspired New York state lawmakers in June to pass a law that makes it easier under civil rights law to sue an individual who calls a police officer on someone ?without reason? because of their background, including race and national origin.

?There are thousands of Black men sitting in prison who have been falsely accused,? Harrold said. ?That?s why we have to address incidents like this now, before they become life altering, life impacting issues that negatively and devastatingly affect Black people.?

The parents of Keyon Harrold Jr. and civil rights attorney Ben Crump issued a statement Monday, calling on the Manhattan district attorney to bring assault and battery charges against the woman ?to send the message that hateful, racially motivated behavior is unacceptable.?

?As this year of racial awareness is drawing to a close, it?s deeply troubling that incidents like this one, in which a Black child is viewed as and treated like a criminal, continue to happen,? read the statement.

Crump and the Harrold family also called for a civil rights investigation into the Arlo Hotel ?for its implicit bias? in its treatment of the teen.

New York City police did not identify the woman, saying only that there was a harassment complaint on file for an incident Saturday inside the hotel. A spokesperson for Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance said the office is ?thoroughly investigating this incident? but did not elaborate.

Hotel management said in a posting Sunday they reached out to Harrold and his son to apologize.

?We?re deeply disheartened about the recent incident of baseless accusation, prejudice, and assault against an innocent guest of Arlo Hotel,? they said in a Facebook post.

Keyon Harrold is originally from Ferguson, Missouri, and lives in New York City. He has performed with musicians including Beyonc?, Rihanna and Eminem, according to his website.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    There's video. She better be happy that his Mama wasn't there. If it were my son things would've ended a lot differently. You don't put your hands on other people kids. You don't put your hands on no kid, and if they teen had grown up in a different environment, she would be nursing a Black eye. Don't hit unless you wanna get hit back... Better yet, try Jesus. Don't try my family because we lay hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    There's video. She better be happy that his Mama wasn't there. If it were my son things would've ended a lot differently. You don't put your hands on other people kids. You don't put your hands on no kid, and if they teen had grown up in a different environment, she would be nursing a Black eye. Don't hit unless you wanna get hit back... Better yet, try Jesus. Don't try my family because we lay hands.
    Seriously. He is a CHILD. And for what, a stupid cell phone? That he didn't even have? Come on, people.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thank God theres video but at the same time if there was no cell phone video by witnesses of "Karen" harassing and assaulting Keyon Harrold Jr. He would have been killed by police based on the woman making the rants.

have they released who the fuck this cunt is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    have they released who the fuck this cunt is?
    I guess its OK to be a Privileged Karen and not be identified by police because she made an "allegation" while assaulting and harassing a teen boy for petty reasons?
    Umm No Keyon Harrold Jr would have been killed one way or another and his name would be dragged and his parents would always blame themselves (sadly) for not doing enough even though they did everything they could with support of Black Lives Matter to avoid a situation like this.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/jazz-music...ry?id=74939879

A renowned jazz musician is calling for charges to be brought against a woman who he claims assaulted his teen son during an altercation Saturday in which she falsely accused the Black teen of stealing her iPhone.

Keyon Harrold, a Grammy-winning trumpet player who has performed with Common, Jay-Z and Rihanna, was with his 14-year-old son at the Arlo SoHo Hotel in New York City, where they were staying, when he says a white woman in the lobby approached his son to accuse him of stealing her phone. Harrold recorded video of part of the incident on his phone.
    “We were basically targeted, and the lady from the video is screaming … erratically that my son somehow took her phone,” Harrold told ABC News.

In the video that Harrold recorded, the woman could be seen yelling at the teen and lunging at him. Harrold’s son could also be heard denying that he stole the phone. As the situation escalated, the woman fell on the ground.

Harrold claims that the woman scratched him and tackled his son. He called the incident “traumatic” for his son.

PHOTO: A woman accuses Keyon Harrold’s 14-year-old son of stealing her phone at the Arlo Hotel in New York City on Dec. 26, 2020.
    Keyon Harrold
    A woman accuses Keyon Harrold’s 14-year-old son of stealing her phone at the Arlo Hotel in New York City on Dec. 26, 2020.
    “First of all, he's asked me again and again, ‘Why me?’ He's asked his mother the same, ‘Why me?’” said Harrold. “I had to explain to my son the same, ‘It's not your fault. People do things. They act the way they act and sometimes it's just not you.’”

Harrold shared the video on Instagram Sunday. Commenters called the incident racial profiling and the latest in a string of filmed altercations involving Black men.

The woman from the video has not been identified and has not come forward yet.

In the video, a hotel manager could also be seen stepping in to try to resolve the situation. However, Harrold claims the manager sided with the woman, who was not a guest at the hotel at the time.

PHOTO: A woman accuses Keyon Harrold’s 14-year-old son of stealing her phone at the Arlo Hotel in New York City on Dec. 26, 2020.

Keyon Harrold
    A woman accuses Keyon Harrold’s 14-year-old son of stealing her phone at the Arlo Hotel in New York City on Dec. 26, 2020.
    “I didn't have the opportunity to be believed, and neither did my son. We were guilty then proven innocent,” Harrold told ABC News.

In a post on Instagram following the video, Harrold said he was frustrated by the hotel chain’s handling of the incident. The hotel chain subsequently apologized to Harrold in an Instagram post, in which it also said it was investigating the incident further.

“We’re deeply disheartened about the recent incident of baseless accusation, prejudice and assault against an innocent guess of Arlo Hotel,” said the statement. “We want to apologize to Mr. Harrold and his son for this inexcusable experience.”

In response to the statement, Harrold said, “The hotel just went about their business after basically sweeping it under the rug with a ‘Sorry this happened to you.’”

ABC News confirmed that the New York Police Department filed a report of harassment related to the Saturday incident.

National civil rights attorney Ben Crump issued a statement Monday that he and the Harrold family urged the Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr. to bring charges against the woman.

MORE: Amy Cooper charged in Central Park false report against Black bird watcher
    “As this year of racial awareness is drawing to a close, it’s deeply troubling that incidents like this one, in which a Black child is viewed as and treated like a criminal, continue to happen,” Crump said in a statement. “We strongly urge Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr. to bring assault and battery charges against this woman to send the message that hateful, racially motivated behavior is unacceptable.”

The woman’s cell phone was reportedly found later on Saturday by an Uber driver, according to Crump’s website.

MORE: Who gets the $600 stimulus checks and when
    In Crump's statement, he also said that they are seeking a civil rights investigation into the Arlo Hotel for its implicit bias in its treatment of the situation Saturday.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio responded to the incident on Monday night calling it "plain and simple" racism in a tweet.

"It would be horrific at any age, but it's especially offensive it happened to a child," wrote de Blasio.

Harrold said he was glad he could be there for his son at that moment.

“I wonder what could happen if I wasn't there to protect my son,” said Harrold. “In 2020, we still have to deal with being wrongly accused for being Black.”

she put her hands on the kid. that's assault, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    she put her hands on the kid. that's assault, no?
    It is assault but then again somehow given that its a black teen boy thats the victim in this case I can see this get twisted to somehow blame him even though he was innocent the entire time.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    I cried this morning reading about this.

I don't know what kind of Intergalactic twat this woman is, but I hope they out her to the public so that we can collectively ruin her goddamn life.

I mean it.

Don't be a fucking privileged twat if you aren't ready to accept the consequences of your goddamn hateful actions.

Fucking cunt. I halfheartedly hope someone stones the bitch. She deserves it.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

The victim of racial harassment comes forward about being assaulted after being falsely accused of stealing a phone.

https://www.change.org/p/soho-child-...redirect=false
    A petition is out for the Arlo hotel management to be investigated.

https://www.change.org/p/arlo-hotels...er-chad-nathan

Apparently there is an allegation on Chad Nathan the person named as the GM of Arlo Hotel New York for failing to protect Keyon Harold Jr from assault and harassment during the "Karen" rants and false theft allegations.

Don't they have find my iPhone? If I really thought someone stole my phone, I would use the find my iPhone just so I could prove them wrong. This chick needs to suffer the consequences, because I bet this isn't the first time.

Every time I've ever been to jail is because of a fucking Karen calling the police. Every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    Don't they have find my iPhone? If I really thought someone stole my phone, I would use the find my iPhone just so I could prove them wrong. This chick needs to suffer the consequences, because I bet this isn't the first time.

Every time I've ever been to jail is because of a fucking Karen calling the police. Every time.

Apparently the Karen who made the false theft allegation is also going to face a possible robbery charge with the assault.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...hotel/2803628/

The NYPD plans to bring charges against a woman who allegedly falsely accused the son of noted Black jazz musician of stealing her phone at an upscale New York City hotel over the weekend, its chief of detectives said Tuesday.

Chief of Detectives Rodney Harrison said at a news briefing that the decision came after the NYPD obtained video footage of the Saturday confrontation at SoHo's Arlo Hotel. The woman's identity has not been released.

The case, described in pained and frustrated detail on Instagram by musician Keyon Harrold in a Sunday Instagram post, initially appeared to warrant harassment charges, Harrison said, but added the video showed the verbal argument did escalate. Harrold was left with slight injuries. His son wasn't hurt.

“After we were able to get video, we’re now looking to charge this individual with assault and maybe even look at grand larceny or maybe even attempted robbery,” Harrison said at the briefing.

A spokesperson for the Manhattan district attorney's office told NBC News that the office is "thoroughly investigating this incident."

Though his son wasn't hurt and he wasn't badly injured, Harrold described the confrontation as one of the most traumatic experiences of his life.

"Somebody trying to attack my son," the artist told NBC News of his trauma. "I still don't know who this person is."

Harrold says his 14-year-old son has also been profoundly affected by the weekend confrontation in the lobby of SoHo's Arlo Hotel.

"My son, over and over again, he tells his mom, he tells me, 'Why would she think that I would take her phone?'" Harrold said.

The hotel has since apologized to Harrold and his son for the "inexcusable experience" they endured. The woman at the center of it remains unidentified at this point, though NBC News has tried to find out who she is to get comment.

According to Harrold's narrative, the renowned trumpeter and his 14-year-old son came down from their hotel room Saturday to get breakfast when they were accosted by the woman and hotel staff.

In the one-minute-long video Harrold posted to Instagram Sunday, the woman keeps insisting that his son show her his phone, alleging that it belongs to her and saying that "he's not leaving" until she's proven otherwise.

"This incident went on for five more minutes, me protecting my son from this lunatic. She scratched me; she Tackled and grabbed him," Harrold wrote in the caption. The footage doesn't appear to show anyone being physically attacked but Harrold can be heard saying "get your hands off" before the video ends.

It was not clear what happened before or after the video clip, but Harrold said that the woman's phone was later found in an Uber.
    Jazz musician Keyon Harrold claims he and his son were assaulted at an upscale New York City hotel by a woman who accused the teenage boy of stealing her cellphone over the weekend. NBC New York's Checkey Beckford reports.
    Harrold said the woman wasn't a current hotel guest and that she checked out on Dec. 23, a few days before the incident, but the hotel manager still appeared to try to get Harrold's son to show the woman his phone.

"He actually empowered her!!! He didn't even consider the fact we were actually the guests! Now think about the trauma that my son now has to carry, only coming downstairs to have box day brunch with his dad," Harrold wrote on Instagram, adding that an Uber driver later returned the woman her phone.

The hotel said in a statement that the manager "promptly" called police over the woman's conduct and that hotel security intervened to prevent further violence. It also acknowledged more could have been done to deescalate the situation.

A civil rights lawyer representing Harrold's family now wants the Manhattan district attorney's office to bring assault and battery charges against the woman.

"This is what it will take to drive change," attorney Benjamin Crump said in a statement. “It’s deeply troubling that incidents like this one, in which a Black child is viewed as and treated like a criminal, continue to happen."

Late Monday, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio described the incident as a clear example of racism.

"It would be horrific at any age, but it’s especially offensive that it happened to a child," de Blasio said in a tweet. "To Keyon Harrold Jr. and his family: I am so sorry this happened to you. Her behavior was an affront to our city’s values."

The case is the latest in a series of caught-on-camera confrontations where Black people were wrongly accused over the last year. The most recent and widely shared incident occurred in Central Park back in May when a white woman falsely accused Christian Cooper, a birdwatcher who is Black, of assault after he asked her to put her dog on a leash in an area where leashes are required.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/30/us/ke...ork/index.html

Apparently the age has been released Woman (22) facing assault and harassment allegations. The hotel employee should be blamed too for escalating the incident.

The woman disputes the accusations against her
    The woman has not come forward, but CNN on Tuesday was the first news organization to talk to her by phone, and she disputed Harrold's account of what happened.
    While the 22-year-old woman claimed she was assaulted during the altercation, CNN hasn't been able to corroborate her account with investigators or with the hotel where the incident took place.
    In a 20-minute phone interview, she said the incident unfolded after she first demanded to see the hotel's surveillance video to try and pinpoint who may have taken her phone. She says she then asked someone else in the hotel lobby to "empty their pocket," before ultimately confronting Keyon Harrold Jr., who she maintained had her phone in his pocket.
    "That's when everything got a little bit more serious," the woman said referring to the interaction.
    Throughout the phone call, the woman's account of the incident was rambling at times. She provided additional information of events preceding and unrelated to the incident that CNN has been unable to confirm.
    When asked if she's concerned about possibly facing charges and overall how she is portrayed in the video, she said, "Of course I worry. That's not who I am. I actually... try very hard to make sure that I am always doing the right thing."
    The woman told CNN that she is willing to cooperate with the ongoing investigation, but she hasn't received a call from the NYPD yet nor has she reached out herself. She also said she'd be willing to talk to the Harrolds.
    After she agreed to provide evidence that could help confirm her claim that she was assaulted, she stopped responding to CNN's phone calls and text messages.
    CNN is not naming her at this time because she said she has concerns for her safety unrelated to this incident.
    CNN also requested a police report from the NYPD, but it declined to provide one, saying it typically does not in such situations.
    Many who have seen Harrold's video, including New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, have alleged racism. But there are no plans "at this time" to charge the woman with a bias crime, Harrison said.
    "The investigation is still preliminary, a lot of work still needs to be done," he said. "The complainants are cooperating and I'm confident that the investigators from the first precinct will make an arrest on this case sooner than later."
    Harrold says the encounter happened on the way to breakfast
    Harrold said in an Instagram post that he and his son had left their hotel room to get breakfast when they encountered the woman. It's not clear what occurred before he started filming, but ​in the video, the woman can be heard telling Harrold's son, Keyon Harrold Jr., to show her his phone.
    ​The teen tells her "this is my phone" and ​his father tells him he doesn't have to explain anything to the woman. The woman comes closer to them, demanding the case be taken off the phone.
    She then taps a male hotel employee on the shoulder and asks him to bring the phone to her. "Literally get it back for me, please," she says.
    The elder Harrold responds, "Are you kidding me? You feel like there's only one iPhone made in the world?" A man who identifies himself as the hotel manager asks to see the phone but the teen's father refuses. "I'm trying to settle this situation," the manager says.
    In the video, when Harrold and his son attempt to leave the woman approaches them, saying, "I'm not letting him walk away with my phone." The video then shows her on the floor, but it's unclear how she landed there. She approaches them again and the teen's father ​is heard shouting for her to get ​her hands off before the video cuts out.
    In his Instagram post, Harrold said the woman scratched him and grabbed his son. He told NBC that after the video cut off, the woman, "tackled my son, you know, trying to reach in his pockets, reach in my pockets."
    Harrold suffered slight injuries but his son was not injured, the NYPD said. His son told ABC's "Good Morning America" that he's ​"shell-shocked​.​"
    "I don't know what would have happened if my Dad wasn't there, honestly," ​the teen said. ​Asked what he would say if he got the opportunity to speak to the woman, he said he'd expect an apology. Then he said he'd ask her, "why would she do something like this to a kid who has never met you at all?"
    The woman's phone was returned to her at the hotel moments after the incident by a ride-share vehicle she used to try to check into the hotel, Harrison said.
    Hotel says 'more could have been done' to defuse the dispute
    De Blasio on Twitter Monday called the incident "racism. Plain and simple."
    "It would be horrific at any age, but it's especially offensive that it happened to a child," he said. "To Keyon Harrold Jr. and his family: I am so sorry this happened to you."
    In a statement, Arlo Hotels said "more could have been done to de-escalate the dispute."
    "We're deeply disheartened about the recent incident of baseless accusation, prejudice and assault against an innocent guest of Arlo hotel," the statement said. "In investigating the incident further, we've learned that the manager on duty promptly called the police regarding the woman's conduct and that hotel security intervened to prevent further violence .... No Arlo guest -- or any person -- should be subject to this kind of behavior."
    Civil rights attorney Ben Crump accused the hotel of empowering the woman's accusations by asking Harrold's son to prove his innocence and called for charges against her.
    "As this year of racial awareness is drawing to a close, it's deeply troubling that incidents like this one, in which a Black child is viewed as and treated like a criminal, continue to happen," Crump said in a statement.
    "We strongly urge Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr. to bring assault and battery charges against this woman to send the message that hateful, racially motivated behavior is unacceptable," Crump added. "This is what it will take to drive change. We also call for a civil rights investigation into the Arlo Hotel for its implicit bias in its treatment of Keyon."

In a 20-minute phone interview, she said the incident unfolded after she first demanded to see the hotel's surveillance video to try and pinpoint who may have taken her phone. She says she then asked someone else in the hotel lobby to "empty their pocket," before ultimately confronting Keyon Harrold Jr., who she maintained had her phone in his pocket.
    I know there are a lot of racist Karens out there, but I have wondered all along (after watching the video and seeing how she was acting) if she is just an entitled little cunt who was frantic without her icult phone. I think she would have accused anyone, and just happened to see that Keyon Jr had one like hers and latched on it. I kind of think she would have done the same thing if a 90 year old white woman walked by with the same phone.

I think she should be charged, and I think she has a problem, but I think it's the 'all about me' and electronic addiction that drove her to act like she did. She was fucking frantic about not having her phone...like it was drugs or something.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I know there are a lot of racist Karens out there, but I have wondered all along (after watching the video and seeing how she was acting) if she is just an entitled little cunt who was frantic without her icult phone. I think she would have accused anyone, and just happened to see that Keyon Jr had one like hers and latched on it. I kind of think she would have done the same thing if a 90 year old white woman walked by with the same phone.

I think she should be charged, and I think she has a problem, but I think it's the 'all about me' and electronic addiction that drove her to act like she did. She was fucking frantic about not having her phone...like it was drugs or something.

Say this same woman never had an Iphone. I just think this same person would pull this stunt too if she had a black neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post

Agreed.

I had someone at my old job try to say I stole her phone. She was on drugs. She tried to climb over the reception desk to call the police. No one called the police and she left. I felt bad for her dog, she didn't even care to get him checked out. She actually left without him. She was nuts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

No way she would have pulled this stunt on a elderly white lady, nor a white man. Implicit bias. It's funny how she didn't tackle the other person that she thought had her iPhone. She instead tackled the Black boy. Everyone and everything is this country is tinged with racism. From the design of the roads, to the zoning laws. This country was built on white supremacy and the sooner that this country faces it and tries to make amends to it, the better off it will be.

The other person was sitting on the couch, so no need to tackle..but she ran up to them and demanded they empty their pockets-accusing them of stealing the phone first. She also DEMANDED that the hotel give their video to her. She's entitled and crazy. I think the girl has problems. She acted like a froot loop in general. I am wondering if she is on drugs or has mental issues.

The hotel staff...yeah, I totally think they acted with implicit bias.

Blame the Manager in the video for failing to prevent the harassment and assault from happening. He escalated the situation by interrogating the Harrolds.

Thread Information