Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindy Guidry (23) MDS member "Fancypants" lost her battle with cancer

Re: Mindy Guidry (23) MDS member "Fancypants" lost he battle with cancer

I checked her myspace and caringbridge page often to see how she was doing- I just checked a few days ago but there weren't any updates. She was so positive- I really thought that she'd beat this due to that alone.

RIP Mindy

I am so upset about this whole. She was such a trooper. She never made herself the victim and never ever pretended to have it worse than anyone. She was a genuinely wonderful person. I'm really glad I got a chance to know her.

After reading her blogs, there's a few excerpts I'd like to copy on to MDS because the more and more I read about her and hear about her from you guys, the more impressed I am with her strength.

Which would be better, posting them here, or in a separate topic?
    Congratulations. You've found the secret MDS signature. Please send your answers to "Old Blue", care of the funny farm, Chalford...

What's her caring bridge website? I haven't seen that one yet.

[quote author=Mr. Blue Sky link=topic=8380.msg433511#msg433511 date=1182887264]
    After reading her blogs, there's a few excerpts I'd like to copy on to MDS because the more and more I read about her and hear about her from you guys, the more impressed I am with her strength.

Which would be better, posting them here, or in a separate topic?
    [/quote]

Here, by all means.

can someone please fix mindy's subject line?  :(

[quote author=emmieslost link=topic=8380.msg433530#msg433530 date=1182887691]
    [/quote]

Fixed, sorry.

[quote author=emmieslost link=topic=8380.msg433530#msg433530 date=1182887691]
    [/quote]

I was thinking that too. Ya know, I don't know if we should post her article. I think she said she wasn't sure if she wanted that done. I mean, discussion is cool, but do we know what she thought about the matter?

[quote author=MissLyss link=topic=8380.msg433542#msg433542 date=1182888067]
    I was thinking that too. Ya know, I don't know if we should post her article. I think she said she wasn't sure if she wanted that done. I mean, discussion is cool, but do we know what she thought about the matter?

[/quote]

she wanted to be posted here, it was important to her.  check her MDS LJ posts.  

:(

[quote author=MissLyss link=topic=8380.msg433542#msg433542 date=1182888067]

[/quote]

Good thing it wasn't up to you, eh?

She loved this site and probably for the reason that she was dying and wanted to be remembered. Everyone will be respectful in this thread or I will smite them every hour on the hour for eternity after I ban them. I'll have Mike add a million smites.

she is so beautiful
    anyone have her avatar? id like to see it again.  :|
    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

[quote author=Morbid Curiousity link=topic=8380.msg433560#msg433560 date=1182888416]
    Good thing it wasn't up to you, eh?

She loved this site and probably for the reason that she was dying and wanted to be remembered. Everyone will be respectful in this thread or I will smite them every hour on the hour for eternity after I ban them. I'll have Mike add a million smites.
    [/quote]

Yeah. I just don't want some troll to come on her and mess with this thread.

[quote author=MissLyss link=topic=8380.msg433582#msg433582 date=1182889037]

Yeah. I just don't want some troll to come on her and mess with this thread.
    [/quote]

There's no way. I am guarding this like a pit bull.

[quote author=Morbid Curiousity link=topic=8380.msg433588#msg433588 date=1182889235]
    There's no way. I am guarding this like a pit bull.
    [/quote]Warning! Trolls will be smited into oblivion!

[quote author=MissLyss link=topic=8380.msg433591#msg433591 date=1182889325]
    Warning! Trolls will be smited into oblivion!
    [/quote]

Mindy is the third MDSer to be listed here.  Sadly, we have experience in these threads.

Re: Mindy Guidry (23) MDS member "Fancypants" lost her battle with cancer

So sad.  She was, and always will be, an inspiration to so many.
    R.I.P. fancypants

[quote author=MissLyss link=topic=8380.msg433591#msg433591 date=1182889325]
    Warning! Trolls will be [s]smited[/s] bitch slapped by every MDS regular, then band into oblivion!
    [/quote]

the color nine

Mindy and I shared our last *hugs* in a pm April 17, 2007, 12:09:27 am.  Thank you Day for giving me that.

Ok. I wrote in a PM to Ron that Courage wasn't about not being afraid, it was about not showing that fear to anyone else, and driving on in spite of it.

That's what she did. In reading her blogs you could see that there were moments where she was at her emotional point of no return, and yet it seemed she always found a way from not crossing that line. There were moments where terror, doubt, and sadness found there way inside, but instead of giving in to them, she cast them away.

BTW, it should be noted that she not only fought her Cancer, but survived Hurricane Katrina as well.

Here are some of her writings that really stood out to me and cast light on that.

FancyPants Myspace Blog: Thursday, March 22, 2007

Hey All,

If you have been around me at all in the past month, you know pretty well that I have been in pain and have been having nerve problems on both the left and right sides of my body.  I got an MRI a couple of weeks ago and I finally received the results today so here goes:

I have new growths in my pelvic area.  This time closer to the front though.  I can actually feel one-just noticed it a couple of weeks ago and was unsure of what it was.  I don't know how many or exactly where, but I will find all this out when I go to my next radiologist appointment.  She will tell me where and how much radiation I am getting.  

So that's that.  Sucks but it's my life.  Anyway gotta go, I am leaving for GA soon to go to Mal's wedding, yay!

Love,

Mindy

"Sucks but it's my life", followed by her making plans for a good time. She's resigned to this fight but gives no indication of surrender.

FancyPants Myspace Blog: Monday, April 30, 2007

I always do this when I am not sure where to find the words.  Other times things just fall out of my head, but that's when I'm not writing them down, of course.  I'll keep it short and as simple as possible.

On Thursday, my dr here in N.O. told me that I will for sure die from this cancer.  I have not been on chemo for over a month now because I have been having problems with my counts coming up and staying up.  Also because the chemo just wasn't working.  I have been having lots of new problems because of new growths or bigger growths.  The most recent one is due to a growth at the base of my skull (in my sinuses), and it is pressing on my right eye, giving me some vision trouble.  I started radiation on that last week and I think the trouble will be relieved by the end of the week.  

Anyway, the dr was pretty negative.  He did not give me a time frame, but he did not act like he expected a lot.   He told me they just want me to be comfortable and will keep me on pain medication to help, and had to give me my options as far as a hospice goes and etc... Thursday was a pretty fucking depressing day.

Since then I have spoken to the radiologist who was better and says she is not giving up hope.  She thinks that my counts will get better and she will be able to try a new therapy on me.  Made me feel  a little better.  Dr from atl(who I called when I was given this news) called me back and said he has a lot to talk about but I was busy so he should call back on Monday.   We are considering contacting the National Cancer Institute and various other places if we reach a dead end here.[/i]

Meanwhile, I have decided to not return to school.  This doesn't mean that I am giving in or accepting the dr's statement.  I have just decided that school stresses me and I want to do things that I enjoy.  We are looking into trips that I've never been on.  Possibly NYC, Vegas...etc...just for weekends because the adults have to work during the week.  

I don't know what else to say at the moment.  I had time to be depressed and then had an amazing weekend at the wedding of my best friend.  That lifted my spirits a whole hell of a lot.  That doesn't mean it won't upset me again but maybe it gets better from here now.
    She was basically told that she was going to lose this battle for certain, that this illness would claim her life, and she bascially tells us that the doctor was a Debbie Downer and that she wasn't giving up in the slightest. Her last words of this post are insane. "Maybe things will get better from here now". She's like, "Oh what, I'm dying? Kiss my ass, I'm not going that easy."

Balls.

In the following entries, she details how the cancer does in fact go to her spine and her adrenal glands, and how it's paralyzing her. The parts about the MGM Grand hotel make me wanna call them up and bitch them out.

Then she confides that the illness has now spread to her lungs.

FancyPants Myspace Blog: Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Bad bad news but don't feel like getting into too many details.  It has spread to my adrenals and my lungs.  Dr keeps insisting it will kill me and described the ways this may happen, then told me which one is more or less preferable.
    I love this. "Dr. keeps insisting". Like "he doesn't know wtf he's talking about. I'm not giving up. Quit asking me to."

FancyPants Myspace Blog: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 (continued)

He is pushing me to look into hospice care.  He knew about this since the 26th of April but I had been already getting bad news and he wanted to wait, although i disagree with that but whatever.  The radiation is taking a toll on me so I can't do any clinical trials or whatever right now.  It's just growing and growing I guess.  We discussed me making a decision about a living will, which I have started to look into, and he even went as far as saying that if I die, I should opt for Do Not Resuscitate since I am not healthy anyway.  I don't really know what to do or say or think or feel about any of it right now, except for sad.  Every time I cry my nose bleeds so it's not really worth it to cry about it at this point.  My day had already started horribly due to the most terrible pain that resulted in lots of screaming and crying all morning.  I fucking hate this and I want it to stop.
    You see here her anguish and pain, andit's really the ONLY time she lets anyone see it in writing. Even so, Look at the way she writes it. It's not given any emphasis. No special place in the entry. It just blends into her writing as if you could see her thought process itself go from Pain, Anger, Hurt, back to fighting and thanking those she cares about. Like it was a hiccup.

Again, balls.

FancyPants Myspace Blog: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 (continued)

I know friends and loved ones are thinking of me and praying for me and I want to tell you that I appreciate it.  Right now I am NOT in the mood to talk on the phone but just give me a couple of days.  I'm not exactly gonna go make announcements when I am ready, and I have to say I've been disappointed for the most part that certain friends have not come to visit me or made any attempts.  I can't exactly drive my ass over to visit.  I know it's tough but I really need people to work with me here.  Anyway I should be asleep and the later I stay up, the more I have to wake up mom to move me around and I feel bad for her not ever getting rest.  I do love all my friends and family, thank you for being you.  

I just realized that I never put anything on here about my radiation to another part of my spine that I started Friday.  I have noticed loss of strength in my hands and numbness in my arms and after another MRI they saw that tumor was higher on my spine and was definitely affecting this.  They are hoping to keep it from getting worse but again this is not guaranteed.  I have finished 4 treatments out of 10 for it...this time is like vertebrae 2-6 or something like that.  If this doesn't work I will lose use of my arms.  I am desperately hoping that this does not happen.  Things are getting a little worse for my bottom half, even though i hadn't thought that was possible.  It is distressing to lose so much control of yourself.  I don't know what else I missed but it will get up here eventually.  I will prob be online a lot because I am getting my new computer soon and I have a ton of free time when I am home since I am stuck in the same spot.  It's hard to say when I would like friends over because I have so many little things that go on that are embarrasing/annoying/piss me off sometimes and I just need to deal with it.  Anyway it is late yet again.

Her last post is bragging about her new car. By now, she was in the shit, and she would rather brag about her car than talk about the pain.

In my PM to Ron, I mentioned a book that is revered by many Samurai called the Hagekure. In it, i recalled a passaged that talked about how Death is behind all of us, and if you fear it it will come swiftly and unforgiving, but if you respect that it is there, accept that it will come for you eventually, it will leave you until you are ready (or something like that) and to live every day doing what you do the best you can knowing any day may be your last.

From the Hagekure

Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.
    From the Hagekure

“There is something to learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything.”
    From the Hagekure

Whenever you meet difficult situations dash forward bravely and joyfully.

She embodied the heart of a true warrior. These quotes make you see that in her entries.
    Congratulations. You've found the secret MDS signature. Please send your answers to "Old Blue", care of the funny farm, Chalford...

rip mindy

SOAD

I remembered she originally had the name "cancerous"....always made me think she was having a little jibe at her condition, I remember her posts always being positive and she seemed like a really nice girl.

Her last post on MDS. Still upbeat despite everything. RIP.

[quote author=Fancypants link=topic=5469.msg415537#msg415537 date=1181965681]
    MDSLJ~
    This one will be quick, really just wanted to say hello and I'm feeling alright lately, just same little problems as always with a few big ones that we are working on.  Anyway, I just realized that I have all these things that made me so happy today and made me look forward to other things/events............and when I was sitting here contemplating writing them to you, it hit me how different things make me happy these days in comparison to way back when.  It's one of those lessons about taking things for granted I suppose.  Weird but it hit me hard just now.  Aw, maybe its all the narcotics.  Anyway I do hope everyone is great but I've got to go to bed.  I'll be back soon hopefully!

~Fancypants

ps-my ear hurts.....fix it someone!
    [/quote]
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

RIP Mindy

the color nine

Remember this post of hers?  :-)

I try to stay positive.  A sense of humor helps too...

on: August 13, 2006, 01:42:18 am

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=8380.msg433654#msg433654 date=1182891970]
    Remember this post of hers?  :-)

I try to stay positive.  A sense of humor helps too...

on: August 13, 2006, 01:42:18 am
    [/quote]

You know what, I saw that too and just smirked. I wish I had remembered to mention that earlier.

Thread Information