Thread: David Misch (59) Arrested and waiting hearing on the 1988 death of Michaela Garecht and the 1986 double murder

David Misch (59) Arrested and waiting hearing on the 1988 death of Michaela Garecht and the 1986 double murder

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...-hayward-girl/

HAYWARD, Calif. (KRON) ? A convicted murderer has been arrested and charged with the murder of Michaela Garecht, who disappeared in 1988.

59-year-old David Misch is charged with murder and two special circumstances, including murder during the course of a kidnapping and having been convicted of a previous murder, according to Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O?Malley.

Misch is currently in Santa Rita Jail awaiting trial in the 1986 double murder of two women in Fremont, in addition to Garecht?s case, officials announced. He has been in prison since 1989.
    Officials with the FBI, Alameda County District Attorney?s Office, and Hayward Police Department are holding a press conference with the new developments Monday.

Garecht, who was 9 years-old when she disappeared, was abducted in the parking lot of a Rainbow Market in Hayward on Nov. 19, 1988.

According to the FBI, Garecht and her friends were at the market when an unknown man moved their scooter closer to his car. When Garecht tried to get the scooter, he grabbed her and drove away with her in his car.
    That was the last time anyone saw or heard from her.

The FBI was previously offering a $10,000 reward for information that can help them arrest and convict the suspect.

Witnesses described the suspect as a young man, between 18-24 years old at the time. He had a slender build, was about six feet tall and 180 lbs with dirty blond, shoulder-length hair and acne on his face.

According to the FBI, his getaway car was an older model, full-sized four-door sedan, possibly gold or tan in color, with damage to the front bumper.

If you have any information, contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

Bay City News contributed to this report.

Whoa. Never thought I would see an arrest in this case. I've followed this case and her mom's blog for years.

Here's her mom's blog. She has metastatic breast cancer. It's very sad. I'm glad she got some closure in her daughter's case.

https://seekersroad.com/
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 12-21-2020 at 07:01 PM.

https://heavy.com/news/michaela-garecht/

Garecht’s Case Was the Fourth Murder Misch Was Accused of Committing

Misch has been convicted in a previous murder case, and is awaiting trial in a double murder. In 1990, he was convicted of murder in a 1989 case in Alameda County, California.

In the double murder, filed in 2018, he was charged in the kidnap and murder of Michelle Xavier, 18, and Jennifer Ann Duey, 20. The pair, who the SFGate described as “best friends,” was found stabbed and shot on the shoulder of a road in Fremont, California by a passerby on a motorcycle in 1986. They were killed leaving a family gathering.

Misch was arrested in the deaths of Duey and Xavier on March 5, 2018 after a warrant was issued through the district attorney’s office, according to his jail record. He was charged in that case with murder and special circumstances of felony murder, and related charges. His next court proceeding is a pre-trial hearing scheduled for February 17, 2021 in the East County Hall of Justice.

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article...F-OghwNs9RrbWg

"There have been many days that have gone by with no seeming sense of progress or resolution," Hayward Police Chief Toney Chaplin said at a press conference. "... This is not just another one of those days."

Chaplin said the case was reinvigorated earlier this year by a tip from Fremont police, who were investigating Misch for a double homicide. Despite the fact that case was not a child abduction, they thought he might still be a good suspect. Hayward investigators followed up, eventually comparing a partial palm print they found on Michaela's abandoned scooter. Because of the quality of the print, Chaplin said it needed to be "manually compared" and couldn't be matched digitally. The print was a match for Misch, police said.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 12-21-2020 at 07:10 PM.

So happy to see this case and the Unique Harris case solved!

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I saw, this case on UM 30 minutes before they announced that they solved this case. I would love to see how he looked at the time of the kidnapping.

Sounds like he's a serial killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    I saw, this case on UM 30 minutes before they announced that they solved this case. I would love to see how he looked at the time of the kidnapping.

Sounds like he's a serial killer.
    I've gone out looking for comparison pics of the suspect drawing and him at the time, but so far I haven't found anything.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I've gone out looking for comparison pics of the suspect drawing and him at the time, but so far I haven't found anything.
    Same here. I can see a resemblance between how he looks now and the composite drawing on UM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    Same here. I can see a resemblance between how he looks now and the composite drawing on UM.
    The nose is spot on!

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/...MIGBVJFBFIXAA/

O’Malley said the crime shocked not only the local community but the entire Bay Area and the nation.

“It was so brazen, so ruthless, but clearly planned,” the prosecutor said.

It was the Saturday before Thanksgiving when Michaela and a friend rode their scooters to the Rainbow Grocery on Mission Boulevard in Hayward.

“They were just kids. Carefree and certainly not suspecting the danger that lay ahead,” O’Malley said.

The girls left their scooters outside the store’s entrance while they went inside for candy and soda, according to a news release from prosecutors. When they came out with their goodies, one of the scooters had been moved behind a car parked in a space deeper into the parking lot.

O’Malley said the kidnapper did so to isolate one of the girls and make it easier to grab her.

“When Michaela went to fetch the scooter, the driver of that car grabbed her as soon as she walked past his door. He forced her into the front seat of the car,” the news release said.

Michaela screamed as her horrified playmate, also 9 years old, watched the abductor drive away, a probable cause affidavit in the case states. The snatched girl was never seen alive again.

Her friend described the kidnapper as a white man in his 20s, about 6 feet tall and of slender build. He had blue eyes and long, dirty-blond hair.

“Other witnesses in the parking lot and store gave similar descriptions of the suspect seen before or after the kidnapping, with variations including that he had a mustache,” according to the affidavit.
    A sketch shows the man witnesses saw abduct Michaela Garecht, 9, from the parking lot of a Hayward, Calif., grocery store the morning of Nov. 19, 1988. An arrest in the girl's abduction and murder was announced Monday, Dec. 21, 2020.

The scooter the man had moved was dusted for fingerprints and viable prints were taken from the handlebars and fork. Over the next 30 years, prints from several suspects were compared to those lifted from the scooter, to no avail.

In 2018, as the 30th anniversary of the case rolled around, the Hayward Police Department’s detectives once again looked at all the evidence in the case. The department’s in-house fingerprint examiner was given the names of potential kidnappers, which included convicted murderer Misch.

“The breakthrough in the case occurred earlier this year as the result of new leads that pointed us in the direction of Misch,” Chaplin told reporters Monday. “We had the opportunity to follow those leads patiently, as Misch has been in state prison since 1989, convicted of murder.”

Misch’s fingerprints were matched to the evidence taken from the scooter.

“In addition, two eyewitnesses identified Misch as being at the scene of the crime, having seen him in a car in the parking lot just before the kidnapping took place,” the court documents state. “Each chose his picture from a double-blind photo lineup.”

At the time of Michaela’s kidnapping in 1988, Misch was 27 years old. He also closely matched the physical description of the abductor given to police by the girl’s friend.

Hayward detectives attempted on Dec. 2 to interview Misch, who is being held at the California Health Care Facility in Stockton. He refused to talk without his attorney present and refused to comply with a search warrant for his fingerprints and a DNA swab.

“Despite being informed that this was a court order, and that he had no legal right to counsel for the taking of these samples, he continued to refuse,” the affidavit states. “Misch was further informed that detectives were investigating the kidnap and murder of the victim, who was named, and again he refused to comply with the warrant, even when told that providing the prints and his DNA could possibly exonerate him.”

Detective Robert Purnell, who authored the document, wrote that the physical evidence indicates Misch kidnapped and subsequently killed Michaela.

“Even if he kept her alive for a brief time, the risks of discovery involved in keeping the victim captive for any length of time would have been too great,” the detective wrote. “At 9 years old, the victim would have been capable of describing and identifying Misch as her abductor and assailant had he let her live.

“Further, given Misch’s criminal history, which includes sexual assault and murder, he would have known that penalties for child abduction and assault were serious and that allowing her to live would expose him to serious consequences.”
    A suspected serial killer

Misch pleaded guilty in 1990 to the December 1989 stabbing death of Ball, who was found dead in her Hayward home. Sentenced to serve 18 years to life, he remained behind bars in 2018 when he was tied to the killings of Xavier and Duey.

According to the Freemont Police Department, the women, who were best friends, were found slain on Feb. 2, 1986, along the side of Mill Creek Road. A passing motorcyclist discovered their bodies around 12:30 a.m. and called 911.

“Earlier in the evening the women had attended a birthday dinner for a family member and were last seen together around 8 p.m. at a convenience store in the area of Farwell Drive and Mowry Avenue,” police officials said in a statement. “Their personal belongings, including purses and identification, have never been found.”

The women’s bodies were found about 11 miles from where Michaela was abducted two years later. Xavier’s Pontiac Sunbird was found about 6 miles from the crime scene in the parking lot of a shopping center.

Xavier and Duey had been shot and stabbed to death, authorities said. They had also been sexually assaulted.

“The deaths of the two women were highly publicized and left many in the community shaken and fearful in their own neighborhoods,” police officials said.

A $35,000 reward was issued for information on the case as leads and tips kept homicide detectives scrambling to solve the case. Though people of interest were identified, most were ruled out and the case went cold.

The police department created a position in 2016 for a dedicated cold case detective, who made the Xavier-Duey double homicide a top priority.

“Cold case Detective Jacob Blass began to reexamine case files, as well as several pieces of evidence, including those that had been processed for DNA in recent years,” Freemont authorities said. “The results of the evidence identified the main suspect as David Emery Misch.”

Misch lived in the area at the time of the killings and was a known commercial burglar and drug user, police officials said.

The victims had no known history with the man accused of killing them.

So according to the affadavit at the link, he was arrested one year after Michaela disappeared and has been incarcerated ever since. I know things weren't automated at that time, but I feel like his fingerprints should have been in the system at some point in the 90's or early 00's, and this should have been solved a long time ago.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 12-23-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Can't help but think, the friend she went with REALLY lucked out.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Can't help but think, the friend she went with REALLY lucked out.
    True, but can you imagine the survivor's guilt she has had to deal with? You don't come away from something like this unscathed. Poor girl.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    True, but can you imagine the survivor's guilt she has had to deal with? You don't come away from something like this unscathed. Poor girl.
    I was gonna say, hope she didn't have survivor's guilt....I mean, the trauma she suffered seeing her friend be kidnapped, screaming....ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Thread Information