Thread: Falcon Crest star Abby Dalton dead at 88: She was charming and delightful, daughter tells The News

Falcon Crest star Abby Dalton dead at 88: She was charming and delightful, daughter tells The News

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abby_Dalton

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...6iq-story.html

Abby Dalton, the exuberant actress who starred in the 1960′s sitcom 'The Joey Bishop Show' and later played a troubled heiress on the 1980′s prime-time soap 'Falcon Crest,' died last week at age 88.

Dalton died Nov. 23 in Los Angeles after a long illness, her daughter said.

'She was charming and delightful. She was really one of the funniest people I've ever met,' daughter Kathleen Kinmont, also an actress, told the Daily News.

'She was extraordinarily talented in so many ways. She just adored the business and was very strong,' Kinmont said. 'Being young and beautiful and stepping into it when she did, there wasn't any type of protection like there is now. She didn't put up with any nonsense.'

Born in Las Vegas in 1932, Dalton started her onscreen career appearing in a string of Roger Corman movies including 1957′s 'Teenage Doll' and 'The Saga of the Viking Women and Their Voyage to the Waters of the Great Sea Serpent.'

From 1959 to 1962, she played nurse Martha Hale on the sitcom 'Hennesy,' earning an Emmy nomination for the role.

She portrayed Joey Bishop's wife on 'The Joey Bishop Show' from 1962 to 1965 and later served as a regular panelist on 'The Hollywood Squares,' an NBC game show that premiered in 1966.

She's probably best known to younger audiences for her role on 'Falcon Crest,' playing Napa Valley winemaker Julia Cumson, the older daughter of Jane Wyman's character Angela Channing and mother of Lorenzo Lamas' playboy Lance Cumson.

Her character ended up shooting two people and escaping a psychiatric hospital before ending up at a convent to lead a quiet life after allegedly dying in a fire.

Kinmont was married to Lamas for five years after Dalton introduced them.

Speaking to The News on Monday, Kinmont said her mother loved tennis and the outdoors and met her husband of 60 years, Jack Smith, while skiing in Mammoth, Calif.

Dalton was on a trip with fellow actress Connie Hines when she fell and cut her leg 'severely' on a ski, Kinmont said.

She said her dad 'asked permission' to press down on her mom's femoral artery to stop the bleeding, and 'by the time they got to (the hospital), they were engaged.'

'My mom said she knew a good pair of hands when she saw them,' Kinmont said with a laugh.

The daughter turned emotional as she described her last night with her mom on Nov. 22.

Kinmont said she was reminiscing out loud about how she was born shortly before the end of 'The Joey Bishop Show' and how she ended up in an episode as an infant.

'She was really starting to go, and she was squeezing my hand. I said, 'Come and find me on set. I met you on your show, and you can come see me on mine,'' Kinmont said, explaining that she just started shooting a new streaming series alongside her own daughter, actress Ayden Grace.

'It's full circle,' she said.
    Last edited by up2trouble; 11-30-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Thread Information