Thread: Retired Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh (46) died from injuries received in a house fire

Retired Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh (46) died from injuries received in a house fire

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/re...out&li=BBnb7Kz

Tony Hsieh, the former CEO of online shoe retailer Zappos, died from injuries sustained during a fire that ripped through a loved one?s home in Connecticut, the company confirmed.
    http://mydeathspace.com/article/2020...n_a_house_fire
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-17-2022 at 03:41 PM.

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-...-hsiehs-death/

NEW LONDON, Conn. (KLAS) — New details have been uncovered regarding the house fire in Connecticut that led to Tony Hsieh’s death, as many continue to mourn here in Las Vegas.

The fire erupted in the early morning of Nov. 18th.

New London firefighters tweeted out at 1:48 a.m. They responded to a working house fire where people were trapped, and one person was rescued and taken to the hospital.
    Related Content

Hsieh’s vision lives on through downtown Las Vegas developments
    Passing of a Visionary: Tony Hsieh, former Zappos CEO, dies at 46

According to real estate site “Redfin,” this is the oceanfront home where the incident occurred.

Government records show it’s owned by one of Hsieh’s former co-workers at Zappos, Rachel Brown.

While we don’t know if brown was in the home at the time, it has been reported that Hsieh was with his brother at the time of the fire.

According to the Hartford Courant — a local newspaper from the New London area — one person was removed from the waterfront home with possible burns and smoke inhalation. The newspaper also mentioned that the person was rushed to Bridgeport Hospital, which has a burn center.

As of now, the circumstances surrounding the fire are unclear.

https://www.8newsnow.com/i-team/i-te...-vegas-nevada/

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — A Clark County judge has granted former Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh’s father and a brother the ability to administer his estate, the I-Team has learned. Hsieh, 46, died last week from injuries he sustained in a fire in Connecticut.

The Hsieh family had asked a judge Wednesday to name the family members as special administrators to his estate since the entrepreneur did not have a will.

In a ruling Thursday, the judge granted the family’s request, which includes access to Hsieh’s financial records and social media accounts. The family must also put together a list of all the assets and present it to the court at a later date. Hsieh’s estate is estimated to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Forbes Magazine estimated his net worth at $840 million.

In a statement provided to the I-Team on Wednesday, Hsieh’s family thanked the community for its “outpouring of love and respect.”

“Tony was extremely accomplished in both his personal and professional lives, his parents are most proud of how he turned out as a human being,” the statement said in part. “He had true compassion and an endless desire to elevate everyone around him. He would often refer to himself as the caboose, because everyone else came first.”

‘He always chose kindness’: Tony Hsieh’s family thanks community for support
    A death certificate accompanies the filing, which indicates Hsieh was pronounced deceased at 5 a.m. on Friday. His occupation is listed as entrepreneur and urban developer.

Hsieh died from complications of smoke inhalation, according to the Connecticut Office of the Medical Examiner. His death was ruled an accident. Investigators have not provided any information about how the fire started.

Hsieh led retail giant Zappos for 20 years and retired as CEO back in August. He played a pivotal role in the revitalization of downtown Las Vegas and had an estimated net worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/i-team...on-zappos-ceo/

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Former Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh had retreated to a shed at a Connecticut home after a fight with his girlfriend and was using a propane heater to stay warm before the fire that killed him, the I-Team confirmed Tuesday.

Investigators in New London, Connecticut, said Hsieh was in a storage room with a 20-pound propane tank at the time of the Nov. 18 fire. Hsieh died in Connecticut on Friday, Nov. 27 after being rescued from the fire. He was 46.

The tank was venting product” after Hsieh was pulled from the home, a report said. Hsieh died from complications of smoke inhalation, according to the Connecticut Office of the Medical Examiner, though the report was not complete Tuesday.

According to witness reports, Hsieh was lying in a storage area with a blanket near candles. Part of the blanket and a plastic bag had caught fire earlier in the night, the report said.

Firefighters were called to the home at 500 Pequot Ave. around 3:30 a.m. on Nov. 18. The three-story waterfront home contains guest quarters on the basement level. That level opens up to a pool area behind the house, records obtained by the I-Team show. A storage area, which looks like a shed, is attached to the back of the building on that level.

Fire officials previously told the I-Team they had to force their way into the storage area and pull Hsieh out.

Surveillance video shows Hsieh opening the door to the shed as smoke appeared to be coming from it 10 minutes before his friends call 911, investigators said. An employee had been checking on Hsieh every 10 minutes, leaving Post-It Notes and knocking on the shed’s door before the fire, investigators said.

Hsieh was traveling with a nurse and a driver who were staying at a hotel nearby, investigators said Tuesday. He had planned to fly to Hawaii the morning of the fire.

Video footage obtained by investigators shows friends bringing Hsieh whip-its and a whip-it canister, the report said.

When asked if there was any indication Hsieh tried to escape, Fire Marshal Vernon Skau said he did not know,

Last month, a judge named Hsieh’s father and brother as special administrators to his estate since the entrepreneur did not have a will. In a statement provided to the I-Team after his death, Hsieh’s family thanked the community for its “outpouring of love and respect.”

Hsieh led retail giant Zappos for 20 years and retired as CEO back in August. He played a pivotal role in the revitalization of downtown Las Vegas and had an estimated net worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

https://www.8newsnow.com/i-team/i-te...iles-lawsuits/

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Former Zappos CEO and Las Vegas entrepreneur Tony Hsieh was worth an estimated $840 million, documents filed in court as part of two lawsuits against his estate said.

Hsieh died in a house fire in November in Connecticut. He was 46.

In December, a judge named his father and brother as special administrators to his estate, since the entrepreneur did not have a will.

Two lawsuits filed in Clark County District Court claim Hsieh’s longtime assistant and friend, Mimi Pham, is entitled to some of his wealth and that Hsieh’s estate and companies he owned owe her money.

“It’s surprising, and then it’s not, because we see it happening all the time,” Las Vegas-based estate attorney Shane Jasmine Young said about not having a will or revocable living trust, which would have shielded the process from the public. “I’m sure he didn’t realize that this is probably the result, or that this would be the result, of not having any planning, but it is, unfortunately, for his family and other people that were in his life.”

In two lawsuits, Pham claims she is owed some of Hsieh’s “vast fortune” for work she performed on his behalf, documents said. According to the lawsuits, the duo was so close, Hsieh used Pham’s cell phone as his own. The lawsuits also claim Hsieh and Pham used the same address.

Pham’s work, according to the lawsuits, partly involves businesses in Park City, Utah, and a documentary film company, among other unnamed businesses.

Tony Hsieh’s family looks to unload nearly 100 properties located in downtown Las Vegas
    “All of these people are going to come out of the woodwork and say, ‘Oh, Tony promised me this, I’ve got this contract, we had this agreement,’” Young said. “It’s already started to snowball.”

Last week, the administrators of Hsieh’s estate filed notices in Clark County District Court to explore the sale of nearly 100 properties. The lawyer for the estate, Dara Goldsmith, said the notices allow for the “possible future sale” of the properties and does not necessarily mean all would be sold.

Documents show the properties include Zappos Headquarters, which was most recently assessed at $20 million, records showed.

“Everybody has to have the opportunity to make claims in this public process,” Young said. Because Hsieh’s estate is worth more than $100,000, and there was no revocable living trust, the process must go through probate court. That also means the estate is applicable to taxes, which will end up skimming hundreds of millions off the top.

I-Team: Tony Hsieh slept with propane heater, candles before fire that killed him, report says
    The process is the same for anyone worth more than $100,000. The trust acts as a gatekeeper for one’s wealth and assets in the event of death.

“Unfortunately, a lot of us don’t think of it,” Young said, “whether we’re super wealthy or not.” Young provides a free webinar to help guide Nevadans in their estate planning.

Lawyers representing Pham declined to comment, pending the ongoing litigation. They have asked for jury trials.

Hsieh led retail giant Zappos for 20 years and retired as CEO back in August 2020. He played a pivotal role in the revitalization of Downtown Las Vegas and had an estimated net worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Thread Information