Thread: Michigan girl (Honestie Hodges, 14) who made national headlines when cops held her at gunpoint at age 11 dies of COVID complications: family

Michigan girl (Honestie Hodges, 14) who made national headlines when cops held her at gunpoint at age 11 dies of COVID complications: family

https://www.facebook.com/honestie.hodges.9

https://www.gofundme.com/f/b7bcqb-covid19-sucks

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...45a-story.html

A Michigan girl who was handcuffed at gunpoint by police when she was only 11 years old died this week after a two-week battle with coronavirus, her family said.

Honestie Hodges, 14, was taken to a Grand Rapids hospital on Nov. 9 after testing positive for the virus, but her condition rapidly deteriorated in recent days and she was pronounced dead Sunday, according to her grandmother.

'It is with an extremely heavy heart that I have to tell all of you that my beautiful, sassy, smart loving Granddaughter has gone home to be with Jesus,' Alisa Niemeyer said in a post on the GoFundMe website.

Honestie drew national attention when cops investigating an attempted murder on Dec. 6, 2017, confronted the child outside her home, pointed their weapons at her, handcuffed her and threw her into a police car.

The shocking incident, part of which was caught on an officer's body-worn camera, sparked widespread outrage and led the Grand Rapids Police Department to change an internal policy about interactions with children. The agency's 'Honestie Policy,' adopted in early 2018, calls for the least restrictive options when dealing with minors, local news outlet MLive.com reported.

Police were searching for the girl's 40-year-old aunt when they detained the girl and two other women, all of whom were unarmed, as they tried to leave their home for a store that night.

Honestie, who was Black, wondered at the time if her race played a role in the officers' controversial decision.

'I have a question for the Grand Rapids police: If this happened to a white child, if her mother was screaming, 'She's 11,' would you have handcuffed her and put her in the back of a police car'' she said in a news conference days after the incident.

The police chief at the time, David Rahinsky, described the video of Honestie screaming as cops took her into custody as 'disturbing,' but none of the cops were ever disciplined for their actions.

The teen, who was taken to the ICU shortly after being hospitalized this month, was 'heavily sedated' and put on a ventilator during her fight with COVID-19, Niemeyer said. Honestie later received iron and blood transfusion as her condition kept getting worse before her death, according to her grandmother's GoFundMe posts.

A candlelight vigil with family and friends was held Monday night in Grand Rapids.

This maybe a stupid question, but why would a COVID patient be receiving blood transfusions?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    This maybe a stupid question, but why would a COVID patient be receiving blood transfusions?
    The iron and blood transfusion thing sounds like anemia (maybe even sickle cell) to me. It may be something she had going on that COVID made worse. During my searches on anemia this summer I did stumble on a few cases where COVID also caused severe anemia in some patients who weren't anemic before.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    The iron and blood transfusion thing sounds like anemia (maybe even sickle cell) to me. It may be something she had going on that COVID made worse. During my searches on anemia this summer I did stumble on a few cases where COVID also caused severe anemia in some patients who weren't anemic before.
    Thats interesting and makes total sense. Ive been derpy lately-I didnt even think of anemia.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Of course race played a part in their decision, let's all be honest.

And there's no fucking excuse for that.

If you look at the covid stats for states, you'll notice that conservative states lead the nation in the number of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, with the exception of NY, and they're the anomaly only because of the # of people per square mile in the five boroughs.

14 years old is wayyyy too fucking young to die, but you know that shit eating asshole Trump once said "It'll be over in a few weeks", "it's just a few cases from China". Then he sat on information and ordered everyone to do absolutely nothing about anything as it spread across this country.

Rest in Peace, Honestie. You were too young to be accosted by police, and you were far too young to die.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Thread Information