Thread: Alex Trebek (80) of "Jeopardy!" dies at 80 after pancreatic cancer battle

Alex Trebek (80) of "Jeopardy!" dies at 80 after pancreatic cancer battle

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...er/1885204001/
    https://www.facebook.com/Jeopardy
    Game show legend Alex Trebek, the beloved "Jeopardy!" host who showed dignity and perseverance in dealing with a Stage 4 cancer diagnosis in March 2019, died Sunday. He was 80. .

""Jeopardy!" is saddened to share that Alex Trebek passed away peacefully at home early this morning, surrounded by family and friends. Thank you, Alex," according to a statement from "Jeopardy!"

Trebek was synonymous with longtime top-rated "Jeopardy!," the brainiest of TV quiz shows, which he hosted since its syndicated revival premiered in 1984 (Art Fleming hosted an earlier NBC version from 1964 to 1975.). Will Ferrell's "Saturday Night Live" impersonation both underlined and burnished Trebek's exalted cultural status.

The Sudbury, Ontario-born host, who gained U.S. citizenship in 1998, enjoyed a substantial game-show career before taking on "Jeopardy!," hosting shows such as "The Wizard of Odds," "Double Dare," "High Rollers," "Battlestars," "Classic Concentration" and "To Tell the Truth."

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2020..._cancer_battle
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-09-2020 at 08:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I knew it was coming, but this makes me sad.

RIP Alex Trebek. I heard stuff that Alex Trebek's production crew got the idea of Jeopardy after Al Yankovic did a parody of Greg Kihn's song.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...yard-wife.html

The executive producer of Jeopardy! says beloved host Alex Trebek passed away painlessly after spending 'a nice final day' with his family, just like he always wanted.

The 80-year-old quiz show host died early Sunday morning at his Los Angeles home following a battle with pancreatic cancer.

'He had a swing in his backyard that he loved. He actually rebuilt it earlier this year... Even in his book he described that he wanted his final day to be sitting on his swing next to his wife Jean and watching the horizon and he got to do that,' executive producer Mike Richards said to the Today Show Monday.

'He was coherent. He wasn’t in pain and the fact that he had a nice final day makes all of us in the Jeopardy! family feel much better,' Richards added, speaking from the Jeopardy! set in Culver City, California.

Trebek continued to host the show, which he has been the face of for decades, with his last episode recorded on October 29. That episode will air on Christmas.

'He was even better than what you would hope for. He was incredibly hardworking. He cared about this show. He cared about the importance of this show and that it made people want to be smarter. He made being smart cool,' Richards said.

Richards recalled that Trebek didn’t like being showered with compliments and threw all his energy into hosting the show before his last days.

'On what ended up being our final day taping I knew he was in an enormous amount of pain and as he was leaving I saw him at the door and I said “You know that was the most incredible thing I’ve ever seen.“ He kinda had his head down and he looked up and said thank you,' Richards said.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I knew it was coming, but this makes me sad.
    Same.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I looked to see if there was anything on the LA ME site, but so far I don't see anything.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    RIP Alex Trebek.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/24/93828...rdy-guest-host

Update Ken Jennings is named as an Interim Host

Former Jeopardy! champion, author and know-it-all kind of guy, Ken Jennings, will be the first guest host of the long-running trivia game show, officials said Monday.

The announcement, two weeks after much-loved host Alex Trebek died of pancreatic cancer on Nov. 8, explained that "a series of interim guest hosts from the Jeopardy! family" will take over the show, which Trebek hosted from 1984 until earlier this year.

"We will resume production on 11/30," the show's official Twitter account said, noting that additional guest hosts will be announced at a later time.

Jennings responded to the tweet with one of his own.

"There will only ever be one Alex Trebek, but I'm honored to be helping Jeopardy! out with this in January," he wrote.

Jennings made show history after winning 74 straight games in 2004 and into 2005. The record-breaking streak earned him $3,370,700. (Brad Rutter is the highest money winner of all time across any television game show, with total Jeopardy! winnings of $4,688,436, according to ABC News.)

Years later, Jennings took on Watson, an IBM supercomputer the size of 10 refrigerators. In the televised version of man versus machine, machine won.

Alex believed in the importance of Jeopardy! and always said that he wanted the show to go on after him. We will honor his legacy by continuing to produce the show he loved," executive producer Mike Richards said.

Trebek's more than three decades at the helm of the program earned him a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records for most game show episodes hosted by the same presenter.

A permanent replacement host for Trebek has yet to be named.

Thread Information