Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Trump and his Twitter and Facebook accounts

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    He already tweeted somethings on the POTUS account and it was taken down, I think

And can you imagine the outrage on parler right now?

I would have loved to be the Twitter employee who got to press that button. They should have at least live streamed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

I'm going to drop this here. Twitter used for good, rather than for evil.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1348249481284874240
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I'm going to drop this here. Twitter used for good, rather than for evil.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1348249481284874240
    Good video.
    When Arnold compared Proud Boys to the Nazis, I thought of Trump as Hitler. He may not say it loudly, but the people he surrounds himself with makes me feel that if he got another four years, what would stop him from trying to rule another four or to make himself king?

I'm glad that Georgia turned blue. I'm sure all the women and minorities that normally don't vote stood up and said, enough is enough. We're not going to live another four years with this narcissistic tyrant in charge.

I must confess, I don't care about politics normally. I usually just go along with whatever candidate my husband likes, because to me, all the presidential candidates have sucked. I'm not a Democrat or a Republican or a Liberal.
    But this time, I decided not to go with my husband's choice. I voted Biden.

My husband thinks of Trump as a businessman and not a politician. He says Trump doesn't feed us the same bull as politicians and he's done a lot of good. I'm not sure what good he's done?! Can someone play devil's advocate and tell me what good he's done?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    I decided not to go with my husband's choice. I voted Biden.

My husband thinks of Trump as a businessman and not a politician. He says Trump doesn't feed us the same bull as politicians and he's done a lot of good. I'm not sure what good he's done?! Can someone play devil's advocate and tell me what good he's done?
    Good for you, I think you chose wisely!

Trump as a businessman, not a politician. Well yes. A failed business man, a slumlord, a predatory college owner. A.... OK, that's not what you asked. I'll try to answer.

*disclaimer. The "good" Trump has done is only good from certain points of view.

Tax relief for the top income brackets. If you were rich in 2016, you are richer now, most likely. Good for you!

Relief from burdensome regulations. If your company was forced (or about to be forced) to do expensive things to protect the environment, or at least minimize the damage you do, good news. You don't need to make those changes now, pollute away.

If your business model runs on the backs of marginalized workers, good news. OSHA and other agencys that protect workers have been gutted.

If it benefits you to have a heavily funded militarized police force, thank Trump for his help.

If you are an insurance company terrified that you'll be put out of business because universal health care and the ACA is costing you business, Trump was a godsend

If you are a medical provider terrified that universal health care will change your business model (providing elective, unnecessary care to the wealthy and well insured,) good news, we've gutted that messy mandate. Well it was good news until the pandemic came along bankrupting your liposuction practice.

If you like conservative judges, Trump and his gang got you 3 at the supreme level and 100s? 1000s? at the lower levels. (Conservative judges really are a not entirely terrible thing) Look how well they did stomping out the flames of election fraud.

And one thing that might have really been for the best. His operation "warp speed" initiative does seem to have yielded several viable vaccines that might well have taken longer to come to market under a more hands on administration.

So to sum up, he has done things, or more often NOT done things that did / do benefit certain groups and classes of people. The fact that he put the whole country, no the whole world, in greater danger, peril, distress, etc., notwithstanding.

Now if you're not a rich industrialist? You are decidedly not better off than you were before.

And finally, I like to push back on better a business man than a politician. Business people, by definition, try to do whats right for their business. That doesn't automatically translate to what's best for everyone, it doesn't even mean whats best for their customers or employees. It means what's profitable for the business. And Trump has never (multiple bankruptcies remember) been good at that.

A politician should be looking out for the best interests of the voters, a smart politician would look out for all voters, those that voted for her and those that did not. The common welfare as it's called. A dumb politician looks out only for his own voters. A crook goes into politics to benefit himself. Trump, is a crook.
    Last edited by puzzld; 01-10-2021 at 07:00 AM.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Good list Puzz!

One point though, the first vaccine came from outside of the Warp Speed Operation...They did not take government money and were not part of the program, so it's arguable that the initiative made it truly happen earlier than it would have otherwise. Also, the Trump rollout of the vaccine now that it's here has been abysmal. What's the point in rushing to make it if the government overseeing it slows everything down to a halt and people aren't getting vaccinated?
    I didn't touch on the great sell off of public lands to oil and mining interest. Clearly a win if you want to despoil millions of acres of pristine wilderness for personal profit. Breaks my heart.

I don't disagree on the vaccine front... but it could be argued, and has been by a semi sane R veterinarian that I know... "the government didn't get in the way of vaccine development" and I do agree with that. The first vaccine would still have been developed, but still be lingering awaiting approval had the FDA been acting more like the very cautious org that they have been in the past. I don't know that Trump did anything to help, but his inaction... Anyway.

Yes deployment is a flustercluck. Trump was going to use the military. What happened with that? Is he holding them in reserve to say invade the capitol? Overturn the election?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I'd like to add a disclaimer to Warp Speed.

It's not as if we wouldn't have needed the vaccines PRONTO either way, but he took actions that cost WAY more lives than had to happen in the first place.

Anyway, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

The fact that people on the Healthcare front are refusing to get vaccinated worries me. I don't think a lot of people understand that the vaccine doesn't contain the virus like the flu shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

The fact that people on the Healthcare front are refusing to get vaccinated worries me. I don't think a lot of people understand that the vaccine doesn't contain the virus like the flu shot.
    I'm honestly not understanding that either. You would think people in that field of work would understand what goes in to this vaccine. It's terrifying to think that some of them have also been brainwashed with this Qanon crap.

I say this with love for everyone risking their own live to help others. We have nursing students taking some of their classes on our campus. Many smart, sane,sensible people in the group. But also some of the flakiest, least sensible and just not very bright people too. They may be book smart enough and able to pass their classes, but some of them couldn't reason their way out of a paper bag. It doesn't surprise me that some of them make really lame decisions about their own health.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I say this with love for everyone risking their own live to help others. We have nursing students taking some of their classes on our campus. Many smart, sane,sensible people in the group. But also some of the flakiest, least sensible and just not very bright people too. They may be book smart enough and able to pass their classes, but some of them couldn't reason their way out of a paper bag. It doesn't surprise me that some of them make really lame decisions about their own health.
    My cousin is in the healthcare field and she just got her second round. She got the vaccine, as she put it "to protect others". I admire that.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Left wing activists hacked Parler and downloaded 99.9% of all the data (including deleted posts) along with the info tied to each post. Apparently Parler required DL, and SS# to sign up. It also tracked metadata, so theoretically all the posts and livestreams from the Capitol will be able to be tracked. Buuuuuurrrrrrnnnn.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bitburner...58563019427842
    Just wait until all of these yahoos figure out that a federal offense means they'll have to turn in their guns. They were right. They would be coming for their guns. They just didn't realize that it would be their own stupidity that made it happen for real.

In other news, Parler is fucked. They'll get sued every which way but Sunday by both government agencies and users.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/snapchat-trump-ban/

Along with other popular social media platforms, Snap last week temporarily banned President Trump from its platform. The company is now blocking Mr. Trump's Snapchat account for good.

"In the interest of public safety, and based on his attempts to spread misinformation, hate speech and incite violence, which are clear violations of our guidelines, we have made the decision to permanently terminate his account," Snap said in a statement.

The violent breach of the Capitol on January 6 by a mob of supporters of Mr. Trump, in which five people died, has led social media companies to examine their role in the spread of election falsehoods and other misinformation by the president and his administration.

Snapchat, a messaging app that lets users post photos, videos and messages that appear momentarily before being made inaccessible, said it stopped promoting Mr. Trump's account in June after he continued to post what the company described as dangerous rhetoric inciting violence and hate. Users at the time could still view the president's "snaps," but only if they searched for, or subscribed to, the president's account, which remained active.

Mr. Trump has since continued to violate Snapchat's guidelines dozens of times, according to the company. Snapchat, which has roughly 250 million daily users according to company data, said it removed each post and sent warnings to the president's social media team.

The company said it is worried about being a conduit for spreading misinformation mainly because the platform's news feed is unmoderated, meaning anyone can broadcast falsehoods to a wide audience. Closing Mr. Trump's account was in the long-term interest of all Snapchat users, the company said.

The Trump campaign did not respond to requests for comment on Thursday.

Cut off from social media
    Mr. Trump has lost access to the nation's leading social media platforms in the final days of his presidency, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said its block on Mr. Trump's account would remain in place through the end of the president's term — and potentially indefinitely. The restrictions include use of Instagram, which is owned by Facebook.

YouTube said this week that it had removed content from Mr. Trump's channel and that it has banned him from uploading any new videos or livestreams for at least a week. User comments on the president's channel have also been banned indefinitely by YouTube.

In a series of tweets Wednesday, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey said that banning Mr. Trump was the right decision, while acknowledging that doing so deals a blow to free speech. Mr. Trump had amassed nearly 90 million followers on his @realdonaldtrump Twitter account just before the ban.

"Having to take these actions fragment the public conversation," Dorsey tweeted. "They divide us. They limit the potential for clarification, redemption, and learning and sets a precedent I feel is dangerous: the power an individual or corporation has over a part of the global public conversation."

Some experts said major social media players' efforts to tamp down on misinformation will have an impact, but are unlikely to stamp out the conspiracy theories and hate that have run rampant on the internet.

"We're going to see less opportunity to radicalize new people" on mainstream platforms, Kate Starbird, a leading misinformation expert at the University of Washington told the Associated Press. "But for those who are already radicalized, or already down the rabbit hole with conspiracy theories, this might not make a difference if the places they go become echo chambers."

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/wor...s-dad-can-use/

I call Bullshit on this one There is no fucking way Elon Musk wants to be boycotted from Tesla and SpaceX

US President Donald Trump may have had his Twitter account permanently suspended, but his son is already out here looking for an alternative to help his dad out.

In a recent Instagram video, Donald Trump Jr asked SA-born tech entrepreneur Elon Musk to help “save free speech”.

“I am not looking for a conservative echo chamber. I want a platform to argue my ideas vs someone else’s and not just people in a place telling me what I want to hear. Elon, why don’t you do that? Get out there and come up with a concept. I think you are literally the guy to save free speech in America.”

Elon has not yet responded to the request, but Trump Jr's request has sparked fierce debate on social media.

Musk recently endorsed messaging app Signal, amid concerns about WhatsApp's new privacy policy. The app is known for its stringent security and privacy settings.

Twitter on Friday deleted new tweets posted by Trump on the official US presidency account and suspended the account of his presidential campaign.

The company said accounts used by Trump to try to get around the ban could face permanent suspension, under its “ban evasion” policies.

“Twitter is not about free speech,” Trump wrote on the presidency's account, hinting at possibly building his own social media platform in the near future.

Trump has been banned from several other social media platforms, including Facebook, YouTube and Instagram, after his supporters stormed the US Capitol last week.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/business...lon-musk-tweet

Gab seems to know how to get people talking.

The social media platform, which is seen as an alternative to Twitter, sent out a cryptic tweet early Tuesday that showed a picture of a satellite in Earth’s orbit.

“Call me, Elon,” is written in green and the text reads, “It needs to happen. @ElonMusk.”

Emails from Fox News to Musk’s lawyer and Tesla were not immediately returned, but the post stirred debate online on what the potential could be if the world’s second-richest man—worth about $172 billion—decided to enter the social media game.

Musk responded to Big Tech’s recent crackdown on President Trump and his supporters in a tweet that read, “A lot of people are going to be super unhappy with West Coast high tech as the de facto arbiter of free speech.”

FOX Business reported that Musk once called out Amazon for reportedly censoring the publication of a book about the coronavirus.

Gab did not immediately respond to FOX Business' request for comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...jan-6-capitol/

The chairwoman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee on Thursday asked the FBI to conduct a “robust examination” of the alleged role in the Jan. 6 Capitol siege of Parler, the now-disabled social media site that bristled with violent chatter before and after a mob stormed the Capitol in a rampage that left one police officer and four rioters dead.

Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-N.Y.), the chairwoman, said the request is a step toward opening a formal committee investigation into sites that may encourage violence, including Parler. The site became prominent last year as a freewheeling alternative to Twitter, gaining popularity in particular among conservatives.

She said the committee will begin its own formal investigation of Parler and similar sites, and that it was a “top priority” for her to learn answers to a range of questions about Parler, including its alleged ties to Russia, as documented in news reports. Her letter to FBI Director Christopher A. Wray on Thursday singled out Parler’s use of a Russian-owned Web services company, DDoS-Guard, that also has Russian government clients and may leave Parler vulnerable to data requests by Russian agencies.

“I am going to get to the bottom of who owns and funds social media platforms like Parler that condone and create violence,” Maloney said in an interview with The Washington Post.

In response to Maloney’s letter, Parler Chief Operating Officer Jeffrey Wernick said in a statement to The Post, “Like other social-media platforms, we have been cooperating and will continue to cooperate with law-enforcement efforts to identify and prosecute those individuals responsible for organizing and carrying out the shameless Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol. Parler welcomes Rep. Maloney’s call to have the Federal Bureau of Investigation conduct a robust examination of our policies and actions."

Parler previously has described its ownership and leadership as based in the United States, with conservative financier Rebekah Mercer and commentator Dan Bongino among its investors. It hired DDoS-Guard to protect it from cyberattacks after Amazon Web Services suspended Parler for having inadequate moderation policies, citing in a legal filing what it said was the site’s “unwillingness and inability” to remove content “inciting and planning the rape, torture, and assassination of named public officials and private citizens.”

The move knocked Parler offline, further clouding its future after Apple and Google also had removed it from their app stores for similar policy violations. It has struggled to get back online, but its officers have vowed to do so. Parler’s legal fight to force Amazon to restore its service suffered a setback on Thursday when a federal district judge in Seattle denied Parler’s request for a preliminary injunction.

Pro-Trump forums erupt with violent threats ahead of Wednesday’s rally against the 2020 election

“Our return is inevitable due to hard work, and persistence against all odds. Despite the threats and harassment not one Parler employee has quit. We are becoming closer and stronger as a team,” chief executive John Matze wrote in a post Monday. As the letter from Maloney noted, Matze is married to a Russian woman, a fact previously noted in numerous news reports that raised the issue without documenting improper influence over the company.

Conservative commentators Mark Levin and Sean Hannity, along with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), have posted words of support, but the site overall remained inoperative Thursday morning.

Maloney’s letter called on the bureau to “conduct a robust examination of the role that the social media site Parler played in the assault, including as a potential facilitator of planning and incitement related to the violence.”

The FBI national press office said in a statement to The Post, “We have received the letter and are reviewing.”

DDoS-Guard did not respond to a request for comment Thursday, but officials with the company said in a statement Tuesday, “At this time, Parler.com does not violate either our Acceptable Use Policy or the current US law to the best of our knowledge.”

Congress has wide-ranging authority to inquire about private companies, but Parler and other social media sites also enjoy broad legal immunity for what others post on their platforms through Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. While there is ample evidence of hateful conversation ahead of the attack on the Capitol and calls for violence against members of Congress, the posts were made by Parler’s users — many of them using pseudonyms — a fact limiting Parler’s responsibility.
    AD

The company, based in Henderson, Nev., and founded in 2018, has engaged in limited moderation, using panels of users to review potentially problematic posts while portraying itself as a haven for free speech at a time of rising restrictions and enforcement on mainstream platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.

Parler refused to remove accounts affiliated with Russian influence operations documented in October by research firm Graphika, saying that no government authority had asked it do so.

Maloney wrote in her letter: “The company was founded by John Matze shortly after he traveled in Russia with his wife, who is Russian and whose family reportedly has ties to the Russian government. Concerns about the company’s connections to Russia have grown since the company re-emerged on a Russian hosting service, DDoS-Guard.”
    AD

She wrote that the Russian company “has ties to the Russian government and hosts the websites of other far-right extremist groups, as well as the terrorist group Hamas.”

DDoS-Guard stopped protecting the Hamas website in November, according to SITE Intelligence Group.

Parler and Gab, two conservative social media sites, keep alleged Russian disinformation up, despite report

The new Congress is only just forming, but Maloney made it clear in her interview with The Post that studying Parler is a priority for the investigative oversight panel. Maloney has a long-standing interest in possible foreign support of U.S. companies. In December, legislation she has championed for years was passed into law requiring more disclosure for shell companies.

The new law will require shell companies to provide the names of their owners or face stiff penalties and jail sentences. The Corporate Transparency Act mandates that information about shell companies be stored in a confidential database accessible to federal law enforcement and shared with banks, which are often unwitting accomplices to international corruption and terrorism.

https://tvnewscheck.com/top-news/dig...estore-parler/

Amazon won’t be forced to immediately restore web service to Parler after a federal judge ruled Thursday against a plea to reinstate the fast-growing social media app, which is favored by followers of former President Donald Trump.

U.S. District Judge Barbara Rothstein in Seattle said she wasn’t dismissing Parler’s “substantive underlying claims” against Amazon, but said it had fallen short in demonstrating the need for an injunction forcing it back online.

Amazon kicked Parler off its web-hosting service on Jan. 11. In court filings, it said the suspension was a “last resort” to block Parler from harboring violent plans to disrupt the presidential transition.

The Seattle tech giant said Parler had shown an “unwillingness and inability” to remove a slew of dangerous posts that called for the rape, torture and assassination of politicians, tech executives and many others.

The social media app, a magnet for the far right, sued to get back online, arguing that Amazon had breached its contract and abused its market power. It said Trump was likely on the brink of joining the platform, following a wave of his followers who flocked to the app after Twitter and Facebook expelled Trump after the Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol.

Parler CEO John Matze asserted in a court filing that Parler’s abrupt shutdown was motivated at least partly by “a desire to deny President Trump a platform on any large social-media service.” Matze said Trump had contemplated joining the network as early as October under a pseudonym. The Trump administration last week declined to comment on whether he had planned to join.

Amazon denied its move to pull the plug on Parler had anything to do with political animus. It claimed that Parler had breached its business agreement “by hosting content advocating violence and failing to timely take that content down.”

Parler was formed in May 2018, according to Nevada business records, with what co-founder Rebekah Mercer, a prominent Trump backer and conservative donor, later described as the goal of creating “a neutral platform for free speech” away from “the tyranny and hubris of our tech overlords.”

Amazon said the company signed up for its cloud computing services about a month later, thereby agreeing to its rules against dangerous content.

Matze told the court that Parler has “no tolerance for inciting violence or lawbreaking” and has relied on volunteer “jurors” to flag problem posts and vote on whether they should be removed. More recently, he said the company informed Amazon it would soon begin using artificial intelligence to automatically pre-screen posts for inappropriate content, as bigger social media companies do.

Amazon last week revealed a trove of incendiary and violent posts that it had reported to Parler over the past several weeks. They included explicit calls to harm high-profile political and business leaders and broader groups of people, such as schoolteachers and Black Lives Matter activists.

Google and Apple were the first tech giants to take action against Parler in the days after the deadly Capitol riot. Both companies temporarily banned the smartphone app from their app stores. But people who had already downloaded the Parler app were still able to use it until Amazon Web Services pulled the plug on the website.

Parler has stayed online by maintaining its internet registration through Epik, a U.S. company owned by libertarian businessman Rob Monster. Epik has previously hosted 8chan, an online message board known for trafficking in hate speech. Parler also gets support against denial-of-service and other attacks from DDoS-Guard, a company whose owners are listed as residing in Russia, public records show.

DDoS-Guard did not respond to emails seeking comment on its business with Parler or on published reports that its customers have included Russian government agencies.

Parler didn’t return requests for comment this week about its future plans. Though its website is back, it hasn’t restored its app or social network. Matze has said it will be difficult to restore service because the site had been so dependent on Amazon engineering, and Amazon’s action has turned off other potential vendors.

The case has offered a rare window into Amazon’s influence over the workings of the internet. Parler also argued in its lawsuit that Amazon violated antitrust laws by colluding with Twitter to quash the upstart social media app, although it offered little evidence for that claim other than the fact that Twitter, like Parler, is an Amazon Web Services customer.

Amazon said Twitter doesn’t use its cloud services to power its main feed, though it will in the future.

Rothstein has been on the Seattle-based court since her 1980 appointment by Democratic President Jimmy Carter.

https://www.wired.com/story/parler-russia-privacy/

n the wake of the Capitol riots two weeks ago, a number of large tech companies pulled support for Parler, a Twitter-like social network that Donald Trump’s supporters have increasingly favored since its launch in 2018. Apple and Google removed the Parler app from their digital stores, and Amazon Web Services cut the platform’s hosting services. After more than a week offline, the site is now partially back up, in the form of a landing page that promises a full return. To get even this far, Parler has hired DDoS-Guard, a Russian digital infrastructure company, to defend it against the endless barrage of attacks that virtually all sites face online—particularly those as controversial as Parler.

DDoS-Guard told WIRED it is only providing defense against denial-of-service attacks, not hosting Parler’s site. But even that level of support requires access to all the traffic that flows through Parler, so that it can “scrub” out malicious traffic aimed at overwhelming the site. Given the Russian government’s active efforts to isolate the country’s internet and gain access to all data, Parler could expose its users to Russian surveillance if the site someday does relaunch in full with DDoS-Guard.

“Now seems like the right time to remind you all—both lovers and haters—why we started this platform,” Parler’s homepage currently proclaims. “We believe privacy is paramount and free speech essential … We will resolve any challenge before us and plan to welcome all of you back soon.”

Parler’s chief operating officer, Jeffrey Wernick, told The New York Times on Tuesday that the social network would prefer US-based providers and is working to find them. The platform registered its domain through Seattle-based Epik. But while Parler has been shunned by the US tech industry’s biggest names, it purports to have more than 12 million users, making the platform too big for most small hosts. So its domestic options are sparse.

By embracing DDoS-Guard, even as a stopgap, Parler joins a growing list of far-right sites like 8kun (formerly 8chan) and the Daily Stormer that US infrastructure companies have knocked offline, only to see companies in countries with limited internet freedom—like DDoS-Guard—enable their reemergence.

“At this time, Parler.com does not violate either our Acceptable Use Policy or the current US law to the best of our knowledge,” DDoS-Guard said in a statement to WIRED. “DDoS-Guard responsibly keeps customer data without disclosing it to third parties. Moreover, the provider stores only information required for the service and explicitly provided by the customers.”

But Russia has passed laws that compel tech companies to comply with government requests, and it has deployed physical network infrastructure to monitor everything from web user IP addresses and communications to location data. Employing Russian infrastructure services could expose a site's users to the country's surveillance schemes, says Alp Toker, director of the nonpartisan connectivity tracking group NetBlocks. Most posts on Parler are meant to be public, but the platform also offered a direct messaging feature and numerous types of “verified” accounts, including red badges for anyone who uploads an image of their government identification card. All of this information, as well as granular user activity data and user IP addresses, would potentially be exposed to the Kremlin if Parler returns with those same features while routing its data through Russian servers.

Regardless of where Parler ultimately lands, it seems likely to find a home somewhere. The internet's decentralized design helps ensure connectivity, but it also makes it difficult to keep people or platforms from being silenced. Even repressive governments in countries like Iran and China have struggled with the logistics of fully controlling a regional internet.

“It seems an unsolvable dilemma,” Toker says. “If you’re a victim of violent speech, then there is nothing more reasonable than getting it taken down. But on the other hand, pulling down technical infrastructure to limit speech isn’t part of the great internet freedom vision everyone set out with.”

Researchers emphasize that the potential privacy and security risks Parler users may face in the future echo discussions about where the line is for, say, an individual using a Chinese-owned platform like TikTok. But where TikTok's mainstream popularity has exploded in the US, shunned platforms like Parler that have sought alternative hosting and DDoS protections have largely been bastions of right-wing extremist content. As a result, driving Parler into the arms of Russian infrastructure companies poses particular risks, given the Kremlin's existing efforts to target the far right in the US and Europe with disinformation. Carte blanche access to additional data on these types of users would be particularly valuable to Russia.

“It makes sense to demand that social media platforms have clearly stated rules and enforce them transparently with due process," says Evan Greer, deputy director of the digital rights group Fight for the Future. “But when you start pushing for moderation to occur at the infrastructure level, like demanding that Apple and Google ban apps from their app stores or CDNs make content-based decisions, it raises a lot of concerns.”

Parler may not end up contracting with DDoS-Guard long term. But wherever the platform lands will have consequences—for Parler's own users, for geopolitics, and for other sites that may find themselves in similar situations in the future.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/twitter-p...072825543.html

By Bhargav Acharya

(Reuters) - Twitter Inc has permanently suspended the account of My Pillow chief Mike Lindell for repeated violations of the company's policy on election misinformation, the social media firm said late on Monday.

Lindell, a devout supporter of former U.S. President Donald Trump, financed post-election protest movements in a bid to overturn the election win of President Joe Biden.

Lindell used his personal Twitter account, which had nearly half a million followers before being suspended, and the company's account to spread unsubstantiated claims of widespread voter fraud in the presidential election.

Courts have rejected such baseless claims, even as Trump and his supporters continued to falsely allege there being voter fraud.

Lindell repeatedly violated the company's civic integrity policy, due to which he was suspended, a Twitter spokesperson said in an emailed statement. Twitter had permanently suspended Trump from its platform earlier this month.

The founder and Chief Executive Officer of the My Pillow company, Lindell's political commentary and advertisements are a regular fixture on conservative media.

A self-described former cocaine addict and alcoholic who says he found sobriety through Christianity, Lindell helped sponsor a two-week March for Trump bus tour that ended in Washington on Dec. 14 and spoke at five stops.

He told Reuters a fortnight ago that he did not help finance subsequent trips to promote the Jan. 6 rally that devolved into riots as supporters of Trump stormed through the U.S. Capitol. []

But the Capitol riots that left five people dead, did not change his views on contesting the election.

"I'm never letting the fraud go," Lindell told Reuters then.

My Pillow did not respond to Reuters' request for comment on Twitter's suspension of Lindell's account.

(Reporting by Bhargav Acharya in Bengaluru; Editing by Michael Perry)
    Mike Lindell a Trump Supporter has been suspended from Twitter for his rants.

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/fa...ced-wednesday/

Former President Donald Trump won’t return to Facebook — for now.

The social network’s quasi-independent Oversight Board voted to uphold his ban from the platform after his account was suspended four months ago for inciting violence that led to the deadly Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

While upholding the suspension, the board faulted Facebook in a statement for the way it made the decision.

The board said the ongoing risk of serious violence justified Facebook’s suspension at the time, but said it “was not appropriate for Facebook to impose an ‘indefinite’ suspension.”

The board said Facebook was seeking to avoid its responsibilities by applying “a vague, standardless penalty” and then referring the case to the board to resolve.
    More at link
    Last edited by puzzld; 05-05-2021 at 07:06 AM. Reason: TLDR

Trump gets around social media ban with new site that can be shared on Facebook, Twitter

https://nypost.com/2021/05/04/trump-...itter-account/

Former President Donald Trump on Tuesday debuted a new webpage that allows him to circumvent the Facebook and Twitter bans on his accounts.

The site, donaldjtrump.com/desk, launched with a video declaring itself a “beacon of freedom” and “a place to speak freely and safely” four months after Twitter purged the 45th president and Facebook suspended him indefinitely.

At least for now, both Facebook and Twitter allow links to the site.

The launch comes as Facebook and Instagram prepare to announce a decision Wednesday on whether to allow Trump to return to the platforms.

The promotional video for the new Trump page associates Democrats with social media censorship and includes audio of President Biden’s White House adviser Susan Rice saying last year that Trump and his Senate allies belong “to the trash heap of history.”

Trump was permanently booted from his preferred social media platform, Twitter, and also was locked out by Facebook and Instagram after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. The new Trump site contains some of his recent statements that were distributed in email blasts.

At the time he was de-platformed, Trump had more than 88 million Twitter followers and used the service as his go-to forum to break news or announce positions on policy and staffing. He has more than 35 million Facebook followers and more than 24 million Instagram followers.

Trump, who prided himself on being the “Ernest Hemingway of 140 characters,” was replaced by a commander in chief who does not tweet on his own, and therefore draws few eyeballs to the social network.

The new Trump site has a sign-up list for people to enter their phone numbers and email addresses to receive alerts when Trump posts a new message.

The site does not currently allow users to post comments or otherwise interact with the content, except for to share it on other platforms. It also does not appear to use advertisers, though it has a link to donate to Trump’s Save America PAC.

It’s unclear if the new Trump website will be a permanent or temporary workaround to reach his supporters.

Trump says he is considering running for president again in 2024, creating a dilemma for social media companies who already faced allegations of political bias in the 2020 election when they censored The Post’s reporting on documents from a Hunter Biden laptop that appeared to link Joe Biden to his son’s business dealings in China and Ukraine.

Twitter claimed it permanently banned Trump “due to the risk of further incitement of violence” after the Capitol riot. House Democrats impeached Trump for a second time for allegedly inciting the storming of the Capitol, but he was acquitted in the Senate when only seven Republicans voted to find him guilty.

As president, Trump unsuccessfully tried to force Congress to repeal Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, which grants social media companies immunity for most third-party content.

Trump allies in Congress are still pushing for legal reforms. Sen. Bill Hagerty (R-Tenn.) last week introduced a bill that seeks to stop censorship by companies like Facebook and Twitter by declaring the platforms “common carriers,” a term also used for companies like railroads that must transport goods without discrimination.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/desk

The great train wreck continues ...

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    https://www.donaldjtrump.com/desk

The great train wreck continues ...
    Why does his stupid page still say "President trump." Uh, no, you're not president any more, fucking idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Those who attempt to visit the page are now greeted with a web form asking for their contact information to receive Spam asking for donations for Trump so he can pay off his debts through email or text message
    Fixed.

Thread Information