Thread: The LAX Jetpack Mystery

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

The LAX Jetpack Mystery

So, the first report of this was back in the beginning if September and people laughed and I blew it off, but apparently it's happened again last week. It could be super dangerous to pilots AND the person pulling this. Couldn't they get sucked in to an engine? Here are articles from both instances:

The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is investigating reports from airline pilots of someone flying a jetpack near*Los Angeles*international airport over the weekend.

?Two airline flight crews reported seeing what appeared to be someone in a jetpack as they were on their final approaches to LAX around 6:35pm PDT Sunday,? the FAA said in a statement on Tuesday, but did not elaborate further.

Fox 11 Los Angeles obtained recordings of communications between the aircraft and the tower as the pilots approached the airport.

?Tower, American 1997, we just passed a guy in a jetpack,? a pilot said.

Jetpacks: why aren't we all flying to work?

?American 1997, OK, thank you, were they off to your left side or your right side?? the controller asked.

?Off the left side at maybe 300 yards or so at our altitude,? the pilot said. Another pilot also reported a sighting.

?We just saw the guy pass by us in the jetpack,? he said. The controller then advised another aircraft flight crew to use caution.

?Person in a jetpack reported 300 yards south of the LA final at about 3,000ft, 10-mile final,? the controller said.

An FBI spokeswoman, Laura Eimiller,*told the LA Times*that the agency was also investigating the incident.

?The FBI is aware of the reports by pilots on Sunday and is working to determine what occurred,? the agency said in a statement.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ngeles-airport

(CNN)An unidentified man was seen flying in a jetpack near the*Los Angeles International Airport*... again.

The man was spotted by a flight crew around 1:45 p.m. Wednesday, the Federal Aviation Administration confirmed to CNN.

"A China Airlines crew reported seeing what appeared to be someone in a jet pack at an approximate altitude of 6,000 feet, about seven miles northwest of Los Angeles International Airport," the FAA said in a statement.

The FAA said it alerted local law enforcement agencies and are investigating the report.

Similar sightings*of a man in a jetpack near LAX were reported to the FAA in September.

An American Airlines flight was the first to report a "guy in a jetpack" at the plane's' altitude of 3,000 feet above Los Angeles International Airport on September 1. The aircraft's crew said that the man was approximately 30 yards away from the aircraft. About 10 minutes later, another plane spotted the man.

The FBI is investigating the incidents.

"The FBI is in contact with the FAA and is investigating multiple reports of what, according to witnesses, appeared to be an individual in a jetpack near LAX, including one today reported by a China Airlines crew," FBI Los Angeles Field Office spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said Wednesday.

CNN has reached out to LAX for comment. There are no additional details at this time.

CNN obtained the audio between air traffic control and American and JetBlue flight crews from the September 1 incident. According to the communications, air traffic control warned a JetBlue flight to "use caution... person on a jetpack reported 300 yards south."

After the plane acknowledged the instruction, the controller concluded with: "Only in LA."
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/14/us/je...rnd/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Im an idiot and didnt know flying in jetpacks around was a thing. I guess it is.

Why would they fly anywhere near an airport or an airplane?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

It's not really a thing, that's why this is such a big deal. And flying anything in controlled airspace without clearance is both illegal and dangerous. I hope they figure out who this hotshot is and nail him!

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    It's not really a thing, that's why this is such a big deal. And flying anything in controlled airspace without clearance is both illegal and dangerous. I hope they figure out who this hotshot is and nail him!
    It's gotta be some rich asshole with money to burn pulling some publicity stunt, except they didn't think this through since they can't admit it's them since the FBI is involved. I'm thinking it's some rich Youtuber or TikTocker. No way is this person in their 30s or older. Stupid kids with too much money and time IMHO.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    It's gotta be some rich asshole with money to burn pulling some publicity stunt, except they didn't think this through since they can't admit it's them since the FBI is involved. I'm thinking it's some rich Youtuber or TikTocker. No way is this person in their 30s or older. Stupid kids with too much money and time IMHO.
    Agreed, that's why I called him 'hotshot' above. I'm hoping the NTSB wallops him when they find him!

Thread Information