Thread: Mayor Brandon Whipple of Wichita, KS named as a target of a kidnapping threat due to mask laws and now Man (59) is detained

Mayor Brandon Whipple of Wichita, KS named as a target of a kidnapping threat due to mask laws and now Man (59) is detained

. WICHITA, Kan. (NewsNation Now) ? A retired firefighter who was upset with Wichita?s mask ordinance was arrested on suspicion of threatening to kidnap and kill the mayor of Kansas? largest city, authorities said.

Police said the 59-year-old suspect who was arrested Friday could face a charge of criminal threat, the Wichita Eagle reported.

Wichita Mayor Brandon Whipple, a Democrat, said someone had read him text messages received by another city official that asked about the mayor?s address and threatened his life.

?He said he was going to kidnap me and slash my throat and he needed my address because I needed to see the hangman ? me and everyone who, something about tyranny,? Whipple said.

?It sounded like the person was very upset about pretty much mask mandates and he said something about not being able to see his mother because of COVID restrictions on elderly homes,? he said.

Wichita police spokesman Charley Davidson said that no other local officials are believed to have been targeted.

Whipple also provided the following statement on Facebook:

?Violence is never a way to settle disagreements. We?re always stronger together as a City even when times are at there toughest. Tensions maybe high, but we will get through this together as Wichitans. Chelsea, the boys and I appreciate the kind thoughts and prayers. We also would like to thank the brave men & women of the WPD who protect not just us but our whole community. Thank you for the fast response.?

The arrest comes more than a week after authorities said they thwarted a plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. Authorities allege members of two anti-government paramilitary groups took part in plotting in that case. Six men are charged in federal court with conspiring to kidnap the Democratic governor. Eight others are charged in state court with counts including providing material support for terrorist acts.

NewsNation affiliate WDAF and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
    https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-new...ask-ordinance/

Trump Terrorist detained

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/17/us/wi...rnd/index.html

Update the accused terrorist is identified as Meredith Dowty, (59) for sending death threats to Mayor Brandon Whipple

(CNN)The mayor of Wichita, Kansas, says a man who he says threatened to kidnap him was upset over the city's COVID-19 mask ordinance.

Meredith Dowty, 59, is facing a criminal threat charge after officials were "alerted to threatening statements directed toward city of Wichita Mayor Brandon Whipple," according to a news release from Wichita police.
    According to Sedgwick County Detention Center records, Dowty was booked at 6:05 p.m. Friday with no bail amount set. CNN has been unable to determine whether he has an attorney.

Whipple told CNN he gets threats periodically, but the details of "this one seemed different."
    He said a detective called him and read the text messages that were "sent to someone else who knew this person, but also knew me." The Wichita Eagle reported that the texts were originally sent to another city official.
    The mayor says he does not have copy of the messages. However, he does recall that "it was anger over the mask ordinance that we got through. Anger over, I think really, just Covid in general."
    "Obviously, the person (who sent the texts) was very angry, but also very detailed in what it sounded like they wanted to do," he added. "They wanted the address, my address.
    "And also, this threat was more specific about kidnapping me and cutting my throat," he said. "Those were what was read to me. They were graphic."
    The Wichita Police Department's statement did not detail what the alleged threat was about. It said the investigation is ongoing and will be presented to the district attorney.
    The Wichita Eagle reported that Dowty is a retired city firefighter who the city council honored in 2008 for helping save a police officer who was shot in the line of duty.
    The City of Wichita approved an ordinance in July requiring people to wear facial coverings in public spaces and extended the ordinance last month.
    Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly described the charge against Meredith Dowty. He was arrested on a charge of criminal threat.

Update the mugshot of Meredith Dowty (59) has been released.

Thread Information