https://wchstv.com/news/local/willia...shooting-woman

MINGO COUNTY, W. Va (WCHS/WVAH) ? A Williamson woman who made national headlines after she worked in New York to treat COVID-19 patients has been arrested.

Police responded to the 800 block of Vinson Street Thursday late afternoon after a gunshot was fired.

Police say 39-year-old Amy Thorn, who also goes by the name Amy Ford, shot a woman during an argument outside. The victim was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

"Through the investigation we came to find out that two females got into a verbal argument, turning into one of the females getting a gun. She did shoot the victim one time in the abdomen area," Williamson Police Chief Grady Dotson said.

Thorn is a nurse and spent time traveling to New York and Texas to treat coronavirus patients. She was also invited to attend the Republican National Convention.

"Amy is well-known around the area for her participation and going over to the RNC committee and a nurse that was helping out with the coronavirus and was on the front line," Dotson said.

In a statement to police, she claims it was self-defense.

Several residents said they never even heard it.

"I came out here on the porch and saw the sheriff's car and was just wondering what was going on," 40-year resident Beverly Childress said.

Childress said she was shocked to see the commotion, but isn't worried.

"Since I didn't see or hear anything it didn't really particularly make me nervous," she said. "I don't feel threatened. Living right here I don't feel a bit threatened."

Police said that the victim is doing well and has been recovering in the hospital. Thorn has been released on bond.