Thread: Chris Burns, Atlanta financial adviser, missing since 9/24/2020 when he was supposed to meet with the SEC

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar

Chris Burns, Atlanta financial adviser, missing since 9/24/2020 when he was supposed to meet with the SEC

https://www.ajc.com/neighborhoods/gw...BDHQWUEHETMIE/

Chris Burns, an Atlanta financial adviser who hosted a radio show and regularly appears on television news programs, has been reported missing, police said.

Burns left home on September 24, the day before he was supposed to provide the Securities and Exchange Commission with documents related to his business, his wife told Gwinnett Police. She said he was not told the nature of the investigation.

A spokeswoman for the Securities and Exchange Commission said Monday that the agency does not confirm or deny the existence of investigations unless a decision is made to pursue action against an individual in court or before an administrative judge.

Burns is founder of Dynamic Money and a podcast of the same name. He purchased air time from WSB radio for a weekly radio show and was ?not a direct employee,? according to the station. He was also a guest on Fox News programs at least several times in the past few months.

Burns' vehicle was found in a parking lot on Perimeter Center East in Dunwoody. Inside was an envelope with copies of cashier?s checks totaling more than $78,000, police said. His wife told police that he owns a gun, a Glock 9 mm, but the handgun was not in the vehicle.

In the report filed regarding his disappearance, police said that Burns is to be ?considered armed and possibly suicidal.?
    Guys like these make me question suicide. They love themselves too much...I'm thinking he's trying to hide.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Clients worry their money with well-known financial advisor may have disappeared

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — As police try to find a metro financial advisor missing for nearly three weeks, his clients are trying to find their money.

Channel 2′s Tony Thomas has learned that Chris Burns has been actively involved in a local church and the community. That’s why many clients that Thomas has spoken with say they trusted him.

Burns is now missing and some of his clients suspect so are their investments.

Angie O’Connor is an investor in Burns' company Dynamic Money. She said she’s in shock and fears her money is gone.

“I am so thorough. I can’t believe this happened to me,” O’Connor said.

She told Thomas that she first learned her financial advisor – Burns — was missing when she saw the report on Channel 2 Action News on Monday. She sprang into action, filing police reports, calling the Securities and Exchange Commission and juggling emotions.

“It hurts a whole bunch because that money was earned with time away from home, time away from my children,” O’Connor said.

And she isn’t alone. Thomas has spoken with several of Burns' clients who all invested $300,000 to $500,000 in peer-to-peer loans.

Burns hosted a weekly radio show on WSB Radio. He rented the time and wasn’t an actual employee.

He was also a frequent cable news guest.

Burns vanished Sept. 25. His wife told police that was the same day he faced a deadline to turn over documents in an SEC investigation into his businesses.

“The police believe Mr. Burns did leave with some money,” said Cpl. Collin Flynn with the Gwinnett County Police Department.

But his whereabouts or the status of the federal investigation are still unknown. The feds won’t talk, even to O’Conner so far.

“Mitigate your own risks and just stay with the institutions,” O’Connor said. “My hope is positive, but reality is probably not.”

Burns' wife has hired her own attorney. In a statement, they say they still have many questions. Mrs. Burns said her priority right now is taking care of their young children.

Burns does not face any criminal charges at this point. Police say they simply want to know if he’s OK.
    https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/gwi...J2JEVQXCGVMF4/

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar
    I told my husband that we are going to start seeing all these ponzi schemes being exposed now that the economy has taken a turn for the worse. The perpetrators can usually keep them going when the economy is good, because they can get more investors and the churn is available, but when it tanks everyone starts wanting their money and the scam gets exposed because there isn't enough money to go around.

I have a feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg, and we're going to be seeing these guys on American Greed soon.

Always that in these brokers seem to.claim the best "interests of the investor" until the economic shutdowns happen the business model gets exposed.

Update the FBI is now involved in the investigation of Chris Burns.

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — Federal agents have now taken over the case of a missing Gwinnett County financial expert.

Channel 2′s Tony Thomas first broke the story when financial adviser and radio talk show host Chris Burns vanished in September. Burns disappeared the day before a Securities and Exchange Commission deadline to hand over paperwork in an undisclosed investigation.

Burns is still missing, and money could be missing too.

Thomas confirmed that the FBI and its financial fraud unit took over the case a few days ago. Until now, Gwinnett County police had been handling most of the investigation.

Thomas talked to Vic Hartman, who spent 25 years with the FBI, leading some of the biggest fraud cases in recent history.

Hartman now runs a Buckhead investigative firm, but had some idea of what is likely going on behind the scenes in the investigation.

"Between the FBI and the SEC, they’ve likely put restraining orders and/or seizure warrants on any known accounts, Hartman said. “If there is any money, that’s an ‘if,’ there is any money, those should have been frozen at this time. More times than not, there are going to be pennies on the dollar.”

Burns bought airtime for his talk show on WSB Radio and was not an employee. He ran companies called Dynamic Money, Investus Financial and Investus Advisors out of offices in the Sandy Springs building.

Thomas found SEC records showing that in 2019 Burns reported 92 clients.

One of his clients was Angie O’Conner, who fears her money is gone.

“I think I’ve accepted that the money is gone,” O’Conner said.

O’Conner and others said they would like to know where Burns is and what happened.

“It’s really just, we hear this term all the time, but follow the money,” Hartman said.

Burns has not been charged with any crime at this point. The attorney for Mrs. Burns released a statement Thursday afternoon saying she is aware of the FBI’s involvement and is cooperating fully.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/gwi...DRURMC3E6TGCE/

Update Chris Burns is facing FBI Charges too for the Fraud

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. ? The Federal Bureau of Investigation has charged a metro Atlanta financial planner who disappeared last month.

Chris Burns, who runs Sandy Springs-based Dynamic Money and two associated financial groups, disappeared on Sept. 24.

The 37-year-old was not facing charges at the time, but his businesses were under investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission. Burns is also under investigation by the IRS.

The day before he was supposed to turn documents over to the SEC, Burns told his wife that he was heading to his parents' house in North Carolina.

His parents say he didn?t show. His wife told police that Burns texted the family that night, Sept. 24, saying he loved them. There?s been no contact since.

When she filed a missing person report, Burns' wife told Gwinnett County police, ?Christopher was contacted by the SEC in reference to an investigation dealing with his business. Christopher was not told what the investigation was for.?

Investigators believe Burns has millions of dollars in investors' money.

Burns was actively involved in a local church and the community, which is why many clients told Channel 2 Gwinnett County Bureau Chief Tony Thomas that they trusted him.

Burns also hosted a weekly radio show on WSB Radio. He rented the time and wasn?t an actual employee.

Thomas spoke to several of his clients who had invested $300,000 to $500,000 in peer-to-peer loans and say their money is now missing.

Burns has now been charged with mail fraud and the FBI is asking for help locating him.

The car he was driving was found abandoned in Dunwoody. Inside the vehicle were copies of three cashiers checks totaling over $78,000.

The FBI is also asking anyone who has done business with Burns, and feels that they may be victims, to report it to the FBI.

https://www.cbs46.com/news/arrest-wa...2787a4bec.html

Now Chris Burns has an arrest warrant over fraud allegations

ATLANTA (CBS46) -- The FBI and the U.S. Attorney's Office said Monday a former financial adviser took off rather than turn over documents and now has a federal warrant out for his arrest.

The FBI is searching for Christopher W. Burns, 37, of Berkeley Lake, Georgia. Burns hasn't been since leaving his home on September 24, one day before he was to turn over documents to the Securities and Exchange Commission. The FBI said Burns is also under federal investigation by the Internal Revenue Service.

Federal officials said Burns conducted business through several entities and the FBI believes Burns has defrauded a number of victims out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Burns' car was found abandoned in Dunwoody but inside the vehicles federal agents found three cashiers checks totaling more than $78,000.

If you know of Burns' whereabouts, call the FBI Atlanta field office at 770-216-3000 or report it online at

Update Chris Burns is being sued for Fraud

https://www.ajc.com/ajcjobs/class-ac...H4YN2FUDL4GWQ/

Editor’s note: This article has been updated with a statement from Matson Money

Lawyers on Wednesday filed a class-action suit against a missing investment adviser alleging that he bilked about 100 people in a Ponzi scheme.

The suit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia against Christopher W. Burns, 37, of Berkeley Lake, as well as Matson Money, Inc., a company “to whom Burns referred all of his clients,” according to lawyers.

Attorneys from The Doss Firm and Gaslowitz Frankel are asking that Burns be ordered to repay their clients, but do not put a dollar figure on the request.

“Burns appeared to be a charismatic, competent and trustworthy family man,” said attorney Jason Doss. “We now know that Burns was at the center of a Ponzi scheme.”

Reached by phone, a representative of Matson Money declined comment on Wednesday. But Thursday, the firm issued a statement denying involvement in any wrongdoing.

“Matson Money has never sold, offered or provided custody for promissory notes, particularly those at the heart of the allegations against Christopher Burns,” the statement said.

Matson Money, founded in 1991, has $8 billion in assets under management, according to the company’s website. The firm lists among its advisers Nobel-winning economist Harry Markowitz and supply-side economist Arthur Laffer.

The lawsuit identifies Matson as Ohio-based, but it also has offices in Arizona.

Burns was reported missing Sept. 24, the day his abandoned vehicle was discovered.

Earlier this week, a warrant for Burns' arrest was issued. He’s wanted on a mail fraud charge, according to a statement earlier this week by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the office of the U.S. Attorney.

Burns is founder of Dynamic Money and a podcast of the same name. He purchased air time from WSB radio for a weekly radio show and had appeared a number of times on Fox News programs.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Yeah, I'm going with "he killed himself."

And I hate that, because he leaves his family wondering "what the fuck, dude?"

And, for the record, if you steal people's life savings, your fuckin' ass should die. I find it horrific that this happened to people who will likely never ever recover the money they trusted him with. People are trusting you to work in their best interests, because doing so works for you, too. That's how brokers work.

But then motherfuckers get greedy. And that's where we have a problem.

I do hope they find him, however, and even if not, I hope they sell off every single item he ever owned to pay back a fraction of what he stole from his clients.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/gwi...DGRT3M3V4IZXQ/

Update a court is issued a freeze on Chris Burns assets

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — Federal investigators have now frozen all the assets of a missing financial planner.

Securities and Exchange Commission investigators said in a new federal lawsuit that well-known metro financial planner Chris Burns raised $10 million in a Ponzi scheme after the SEC found there were no investments, just lies and money transfers.

At least 70 investors over three years were promised monthly checks with anywhere from 5% to 20% interest.

An investigator wrote that burns used the note proceeds to fund his lifestyle, pay business expenses and rent time for his weekly radio show on WSB Radio, of which he was not an employee.

Investigators also named Burns’ wife as a relief defendant trying to cut off any proceeds she might have from what authorities call a scam.

One metro area man, who asked not to be identified, told Channel 2′s Tony Thomas that he invested a good chunk of his retirement funds into Chris Burns company Investus Financial and his so-called peer-to-peer lending.

“it’s been a strange roller coaster. I think it’s been more the betrayal,” the man said. “He would tell us, ‘Oh yeah, your investments are doing well.’ I guess the longer it goes the less hope I have.”

Burns disappeared in late September, one day before he was to turn over documents to SEC investigators.

The day before, records show he reached a divorce agreement with his wife and gave her their million-dollar house, a boat and belongings.

A judge just froze all the couple’s assets as the FBI looks for Burns.

Angie O’Connor is one of several clients the SEC named in its court filing. Thomas first spoke with her last month.

“It hurts a whole bunch,” O’Connor said. “I think I’ve accepted that the money is gone.”

The court filings also detail Burns’ final days before he vanished, raising $320,000 from investors and transferring all but $75 into his own accounts, then another $165,000 on the day he disappeared.

“I’m hoping maybe his connection with his family, especially his kids, maybe he’ll slip up,” the man said.

Representatives for Mrs. Burns issued a statement Wednesday, saying:

“This is a very difficult time for Meredith Burns family and her children.

“It bears repeating that Meredith Burns played no part in the operations of the companies and the government has therefore not made any such allegations, which is why Meredith has been listed as a relief defendant and not an actual defendant in the SEC complaint. She continues to cooperate fully and consistently with all law enforcement authorities.

“We acknowledge the court’s process for resolving issues such as this and look forward to a day when there is resolution on the question of assets. At this point, the government, Ms. Burns, and everyone involved are attempting to determine the origins and nature of all funds involved. The SEC has filed its initial complaint and we are working diligently to come to a fair and equitable agreement of terms.

“Meredith’s main priority remains to be caring for her young children.

“The entire family continues to hope and pray for Mr. Burns’s safe return.”

Thread Information