Thread: Lice infestation linked to girl's (Kaitlyn Yozviak, 12) death; parents charged

Lice infestation linked to girl's (Kaitlyn Yozviak, 12) death; parents charged

https://fox17.com/news/nation-world/...arents-charged

IVEY, Ga. (AP) ? A 12-year-old Georgia girl may have died as an indirect result of a severe lice infestation that may have gone on for years, investigators said.

The new details on the August death of Kaitlyn Yozviak were discussed during a preliminary hearing Monday after which Wilkinson County Superior Court Judge Brenda Trammell agreed there was enough evidence for second-degree murder charges against parents Mary Katherine "Katie" Horton and Joey Yozviak to go forward to a grand jury. The couple was also charged with second-degree child cruelty.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Ryan Hilton testified that medical records show Kaitlyn died from cardiac arrest with a secondary cause being severe anemia, a news station reported. The GBI earlier said the girl suffered "excessive physical pain due to medical negligence," although the autopsy results are not yet complete.

Hilton testified that, at the time of her death, Kaitlyn had "the most severe" lice infestation that the GBI's office had ever seen, and it may have lasted on and off for at least three years. He said he believed repeated bites from the lice lowered her blood iron levels, which likely caused the anemia, and may have triggered the cardiac attack.

Her mother also told investigators Kaitlyn had not bathed within the last week and a half before she died.

When agents got to the home in August, the inside was filthy and in disrepair with vermin covering the mattress, stuffed animals and other furniture in Kaitlyn's room, Hilton said.

Neighbors told agents they hadn't seen Kaitlyn playing around the house for the last month and a half to two months before her death.

Georgia Division of Family and Children Services documents show that Kaitlyn's two brothers were removed from Horton and Yozviak's home because of unsanitary conditions.

In 2008, DFCS opened another case around the time Kaitlyn was born, after the parents decided not to give her up for adoption.

The agency didn't receive any reports on the family until 2018 where files show a call indicating the home was "bug-infested, (with) excessive cats, and hazardous conditions."

Kaitlyn was briefly placed with her aunt, and returned to her parents' home six days later.

The agency didn't hear from the family again until after she died. The last entry in the file is heavily redacted and concerns a conversation between GBI and child welfare authorities.

DFCS documents show case history of 12-year-old Kaitlyn Yozviak

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...e-b155d91b1397

VIDEO - https://13wmaz.com/embeds/video/93-b...me?jwsource=cl
    Last edited by up2trouble; 10-01-2020 at 08:41 AM.

How did no one notice the lice? If it was so severe, SOMEONE had to have noticed either the bugs or her scratching....

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

This happens a lot with fleas and animals, but I've never heard it happening to a person. That lice infection must have been terrible.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    How did no one notice the lice? If it was so severe, SOMEONE had to have noticed either the bugs or her scratching....
    I don't actually understand how come NO ONE noticed. I scratch a lot but everyone who knows me knows that it is due to bad allergies. Last week a gnat landed on my cheek and I got a large, itchy lump for a few days.

She probably hadn't been to school in a while. They moved so that would mean a new district then COVID stopped school and that left her even more vulnerable.

omg that poor little girl :( I feel so disgusting and itchy reading it. I don't know how her parents could see her go through that and think it's okay to let her suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    This happens a lot with fleas and animals, but I've never heard it happening to a person. That lice infection must have been terrible.
    Yeah, it takes a LOT for even fleas to kill an animal unless it's a kitten or puppy. When we adopted Angel it was told to us that she was found to be infested with fleas and ticks. I love where I adopted her from, but I was LIVID that they didn't even give her a bath before spaying her which meant for almost two weeks after we brought her home we couldn't even wash her because of the stitches. When we finally were able to, it was SO MUCH BLOOD that we had to empty and fill the tub three times to get most of the blood out of her fur. The water was BLACK with blood and it just kept coming and coming, especially around her ears. I remember wondering how she even survived that kind of blood loss, yet she wasn't even anemic when we had the vet do the once over for her.

I'm wondering if it left her susceptible to bacterial infections that aided in her death. Because there's no way nobody couldn't see the kind of infestation it would take to do this to her.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Yeah, it takes a LOT for even fleas to kill an animal unless it's a kitten or puppy. When we adopted Angel it was told to us that she was found to be infested with fleas and ticks. I love where I adopted her from, but I was LIVID that they didn't even give her a bath before spaying her which meant for almost two weeks after we brought her home we couldn't even wash her because of the stitches. When we finally were able to, it was SO MUCH BLOOD that we had to empty and fill the tub three times to get most of the blood out of her fur. The water was BLACK with blood and it just kept coming and coming, especially around her ears. I remember wondering how she even survived that kind of blood loss, yet she wasn't even anemic when we had the vet do the once over for her.

I'm wondering if it left her susceptible to bacterial infections that aided in her death. Because there's no way nobody couldn't see the kind of infestation it would take to do this to her.
    Apparently she had a massive infestation on/off for three years so the nasty bastards were left to feed on her blood for so long she developed anemia and had a heart attack. That is just preliminary but I won't be surprised if she had an infection or was septic .

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    I don't actually understand how come NO ONE noticed. I scratch a lot but everyone who knows me knows that it is due to bad allergies. Last week a gnat landed on my cheek and I got a large, itchy lump for a few days.

She probably hadn't been to school in a while. They moved so that would mean a new district then COVID stopped school and that left her even more vulnerable.
    I completely forgot about COVID and her not being in school. That makes total sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post

I should have been more clear-Ive seen a lot of animals that were anemic because of fleas. Like you said, kittens and puppies get hit the worst. I have seen kittens die as a result of the anemia

Thats so sad about Angel they could have given her Capstar and a bath. Im glad she turned out okay!

This little girl's hair is dark. Wouldnt that make it easier to see the lice?
    Last edited by Angiebla; 10-03-2020 at 07:20 AM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Thread Information