Thread: I Am Woman Singer and Feminist Icon Helen Reddy Dead at 78

Helen Reddy (78)

https://www.facebook.com/HelenReddyOfficialFB
    Helen Reddy, who shot to stardom in the 1970s with her feminist anthem "I Am Woman" and recorded a string of other hits, has died. She was 78.

Reddy's children Traci and Jordan announced that the actress-singer died Tuesday in Los Angeles. "She was a wonderful Mother, Grandmother and a truly formidable woman," they said in a statement. "Our hearts are broken. But we take comfort in the knowledge that her voice will live on forever."

The Australian-born singer enjoyed a prolific career, appearing in "Airport 1975" as a singing nun and scoring several hits, including "I Don't Know How To Love Him" from "Jesus Christ Superstar," "Ain't No Way To Treat a Lady," "Delta Dawn," "Angie Baby" and "You and Me Against the World."

Reddy's version of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" in 1971 launched a decade-long string of Top 40 hits, three of which reached No. 1.

Two years later she won the best female vocal pop performance Grammy Award for "I Am Woman," quickly thanking her then-husband and others in her acceptance speech.

"I only have 10 seconds so I would like to thank everyone from Sony Capitol Records, I would like to think Jeff Wald because he makes my success possible and I would like to thank God because she makes everything possible," Reddy said, hoisting her Grammy in the air and leaving the stage to loud applause.

"I Am Woman" would become her biggest hit, used in films and television series.

In a 2012 interview with The Associated Press, Reddy cited the gigantic success of "I Am Woman" as one of the reasons she stepped out of public life.

"That was one of the reasons that I stopped singing, was when I was shown a modern American history high-school textbook, and a whole chapter on feminism and my name and my lyrics (were) in the book," she told the AP. "And I thought, "Well, I?m part of history now. And how do I top that" I can't top that." So, it was an easy withdrawal"

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...geles-n1241504
    Last edited by puzzld; 09-29-2020 at 09:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Are none of my heroes going to survive this hideous year?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I Am Woman Singer and Feminist Icon Helen Reddy Dead at 78

https://www.tmz.com/2020/09/29/i-am-...ddy-dead-dies/

Helen Reddy, the woman who sang the song that became the anthem of the women's rights movement has died.

Reddy's family said the Australian singer died Tuesday, though they did not disclose the cause.

Ready's song, "I Am Woman" ... not only shot to the top of the charts in the 70's, but with its lyrics -- "I am woman, hear me roar ..." -- became an inspiration to this day. It has been used in marches, on TV and, frankly, just by ordinary folk who love the song. Reddy won a grammy for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

She had another #1 hit with "Delta Dawn." She followed that up with yet another hit, "Angie Baby."

It's kind of remarkable that Reddy and Ruth Bader Ginsburg died within days of each other. RBG was a leader in the women's movement, and Reddy contributed the vocals.

By the way, "I am Woman" was not an instant anthem, but gained popularity over time and eventually charted at #1. When Reddy accepted the Grammy, she thanked "God because she makes everything possible."

Reddy went on to appear in various TV shows and movies. She even starred in her own TV show, "The Helen Reddy Show."

Reddy was diagnosed with dementia in 2015.

Her family said, "It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved mother, Helen Reddy, on the afternoon of September 29th, 2020 in Los Angeles. She was a wonderful Mother, Grandmother and a truly formidable woman. Our hearts are broken. But we take comfort in the knowledge her voice will live on forever."

Reddy was 78. RIP

Last edited by up2trouble; 09-30-2020 at 07:49 AM.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Very sad. There's already a thread about her on here:

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...len-Reddy-(78)
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    If this doesn't throw gasoline on the dumpster fire that is 2020, I don't know what fucking does.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Thread Information