Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Girl's Feet Cut Off on Amusement Park Ride

Re: Girl's Feet Cut Off on Amusement Park Ride

"Authorities and the hospital have declined to say whether her feet were reattached. The statement included a plea for privacy for the girl's family, and the family has instructed the hospital not to comment further.

The family's statement said no one from the theme park had contacted them since the accident, as park representatives had told reporters. "At no time has any representative of the theme park been in touch with members of the family," the statement said."
    http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=99233

Has anyone read anywhere that maybe her feet were reattached?

The theme park knows it is going to get sued.  To not have tried to contact the family since the accident is just wrong.

Poor Girl..

[quote author=JustGretch link=topic=8275.msg428534#msg428534 date=1182573707]
    First off -  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: to all the awful puns!

[/quote]

I second that!

I wondered if we'd ever hear anything about this again. I can't believe that they haven't contacted the family.

to whoever asked about the feet being reattatched...i have only heard that they are denying to answer the question, but it was reported the day that it happened that the feet were found within minutes, put into ice and were in the ambulance when she was taken away, so that has to be at least sort of good news. 

i love ammusement parks and such, but i am scared of amputations to begin with, and i would rather die than not have any amount of one of my limbs, so i have given up all types of ammusement rides because of this.  fuck that, not worth it.

now i can't stop thinking about reattatching amputated limbs...i always wondered how they did it, but i never realized you could wait a day or two...read this story, pretty incredible.

explainer: Answers to your questions about the news.
    Doctor, Please Reattach My ...
    How long can you wait before sewing a severed body part back on?
    By Daniel Engber
    Posted Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2005, at 6:33 PM ET
    Late Saturday night in Anchorage, Alaska, a man's girlfriend cut off his penis and flushed it down the toilet. A municipal worker recovered the penis; surgeons had sewed it back on by morning. How long can you wait before reattaching a severed body part?

A day or two, at least. The man in Alaska was lucky to have his penis sawed off in a frigid climate (though the incident did occur indoors). A severed finger can survive for at least 12 hours in a warm environment and up to a couple of days if refrigerated. Some reports indicate that body parts can survive for as many as four days before being reattached.

Doctors suggest that a severed penis or other body part should be sealed in a plastic bag and placed on ice. Direct contact with the ice can cause frostbite and damage the tissue, and suspending severed body parts in water has been shown to make reattachment more difficult.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not every part of the body is as resilient as the finger. Muscle tends to have a faster metabolism than other kinds of tissue, so a severed arm or leg will deteriorate more quickly than your pinkie (a full limb must be reattached within six hours to 12 hours). Cartilage has a particularly slow metabolism, so a severed ear or nose can be quite durable. The types of tissues in the penis actually make it an excellent candidate for longer stretches in the ice bucket.

The first step in reattaching a body part is to restore blood flow by reconnecting the arteries. For the procedure to work, the severed tissue must be alive, and the severed arteries must be large enough to manipulate using microsurgical techniques. The blood vessels in the finger are about one or 1.5 millimeters wide (depending on where you cut); vessels in the penis tend to be somewhat bigger and easier to work with.

You also need to reattach the veins, or blood won't be able to flow out of the severed part. Without a conduit for outflow, the body part will swell, which can cause tissue damage. When veins can't be sewn up right away, surgeons apply live leeches. A single leech can suck up 10 cubic centimeters of blood from a severed penis; a chemical in its saliva, hirudin, keeps blood from clotting and allows continued drainage.

Tendons, bone, and nerves must also be reattached. In general, the cleaner the cut, the more simple the operation. Ears, which have small arteries and which, when severed, are often ripped off or bitten off, tend to be tricky.

Even in the case of a clean cut, surgeons often remove some tissue to shorten the appendage. When the veins and arteries are stretched, tension on the stitches can jeopardize the procedure; shortening the severed part allows a bit of slack. In situations where significant shortening is undesirable, vein grafts from other parts of the body can provide some leeway.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=8275.msg429013#msg429013 date=1182617720]
    Fuck that shit. I don't get on no rides never ever.

[/quote]
    I agree!I HATE rollercoasters! :2abused:

Update.  So I thought I'd attach this.

http://www.wlky.com/news/13616751/detail.html

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A teen whose feet were severed at Six Flags' Kentucky Kingdom has had one foot reattached according to a statement released by her family.

The family of Kaitlyn Lasitter, 13, whose feet were cut off when The Superman Tower of Power malfunctioned at Six Flags’ Kentucky Kingdom last month, issued a statement updating the details of her medical condition Tuesday.

According to the statement, the family specifically chose to issue the information through NewsChannel 32. Read the entire statement here.

The statement reports that Kaitlyn’s right foot has successfully been reattached at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, where she remains in stable condition.

“We were not able to reattach the left lower extremity due to the severity of the injury,” Dr. Douglas Weikert said in the statement. “Things are progressing as expected over this first 10 days.”

The statement also reiterated a detail reported in the family’s first public announcement, claiming that no representatives from Six Flags have attempted to contact them since Kaitlyn’s injuries. Six Flags has since denied that claim.

Kaitlyn’s parents, Randy and Monique Lasitter, also thanked the community for its support, and they thanked the doctors who are working on their daughter.

“We look forward to Kaitlyn’s recovery and getting back to some sort of normalcy in our lives in Louisville,” the parents said in the statement. “Without the support of our close friends this could have been a much more difficult situation to handle.”

Meanwhile, the investigation into the accident continues. Officials from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture said earlier this week that it could take many more weeks to determine exactly what caused Kaitlyn's injuries.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=8275.msg444296#msg444296 date=1183511903]
    Update.   So I thought I'd attach this.

http://www.wlky.com/news/13616751/detail.html

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A teen whose feet were severed at Six Flags' Kentucky Kingdom has had one foot reattached according to a statement released by her family.

The family of Kaitlyn Lasitter, 13, whose feet were cut off when The Superman Tower of Power malfunctioned at Six Flags’ Kentucky Kingdom last month, issued a statement updating the details of her medical condition Tuesday.

According to the statement, the family specifically chose to issue the information through NewsChannel 32. Read the entire statement here.

The statement reports that Kaitlyn’s right foot has successfully been reattached at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, where she remains in stable condition.

“We were not able to reattach the left lower extremity due to the severity of the injury,” Dr. Douglas Weikert said in the statement. “Things are progressing as expected over this first 10 days.”

The statement also reiterated a detail reported in the family’s first public announcement, claiming that no representatives from Six Flags have attempted to contact them since Kaitlyn’s injuries. Six Flags has since denied that claim.

Kaitlyn’s parents, Randy and Monique Lasitter, also thanked the community for its support, and they thanked the doctors who are working on their daughter.

“We look forward to Kaitlyn’s recovery and getting back to some sort of normalcy in our lives in Louisville,” the parents said in the statement. “Without the support of our close friends this could have been a much more difficult situation to handle.”

Meanwhile, the investigation into the accident continues. Officials from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture said earlier this week that it could take many more weeks to determine exactly what caused Kaitlyn's injuries.
    [/quote]

Thank Goodness, at least one foot was reattached!!

[quote author=Onthedarkside link=topic=8275.msg444400#msg444400 date=1183515436]
    Thank Goodness, at least one foot was reattached!!

[/quote]

Will she be changing her name to Eileen?

Hell, here I come.

[quote author=andyniz link=topic=8275.msg444403#msg444403 date=1183515538]

Hell, here I come.
    [/quote]

Save me a seat with a view?

Hell, here I come.
    [/quote]

yep and she's gonna work at Ihop.

dont worry, im going with you. (to hell)

When the ride ended, she, at least, had both feet on the ground.
    I don't enter into mental warfare with morons.  It's immoral and unethical.  They have no ammunition.  AIDA convention regulations, article VII, Paragraph XII  

Hell, here I come.
    [/quote]

:lol:

[quote author=CrAzY JaY link=topic=8275.msg444631#msg444631 date=1183521291]

[/quote]

I'm coming too.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

[quote author=CrAzY JaY link=topic=8275.msg444631#msg444631 date=1183521291]

[/quote]

We are all going on a very big bus...I accepted this long ago!  :lol:  :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote author=Onthedarkside link=topic=8275.msg435854#msg435854 date=1182981621]
    "Authorities and the hospital have declined to say whether her feet were reattached. The statement included a plea for privacy for the girl's family, and the family has instructed the hospital not to comment further.

The family's statement said no one from the theme park had contacted them since the accident, as park representatives had told reporters. "At no time has any representative of the theme park been in touch with members of the family," the statement said."
    http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=99233

Has anyone read anywhere that maybe her feet were reattached?

The theme park knows it is going to get sued.  To not have tried to contact the family since the accident is just wrong.

Poor Girl..
    [/quote]

Sounds as if the theme park is "soley" interested in CYA atm and not concerned about the girl who is now bipediness challenged!  (Damn being PC!)

[quote author=perry link=topic=8275.msg426055#msg426055 date=1182472726]
    [/quote]

That's hysterical.

[quote author=2StarsOnMyBack link=topic=8275.msg448435#msg448435 date=1183742826]
    That's hysterical.
    [/quote]

Will your post become more intelligent as time goes by?  Or is this it?

[quote author=andyniz link=topic=8275.msg448438#msg448438 date=1183743031]
    Will your post become more intelligent as time goes by?  Or is this it?
    [/quote]

I'm trying not to say anything for fear of putting [s]her[/s] my foot in my mouth.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

[quote author=sarabei link=topic=8275.msg448045#msg448045 date=1183723281]
    We are all going on a very big bus...I accepted this long ago!  :lol:  :lol: :lol: :lol:
    [/quote]
    I was pretty sure we signed ourselves over when we signed up for this site... :lol:
    [quote author=Mr. Formaldehyde]<br />I will wship YOU!!!1[/quote]<br />[quote author=LawChick]<br />I love you back whore. Don&#39;t forget it either.<br />[/quote]

MY Niece went on a ride at a fair, somehow the safety buckle slipped up and went under her neck and began to choke her...the attendants were clueless, my&nbsp; sis saw and started screaming....by the time they stopped the ride, Brits neck was bruised, she was barely breathing all of the&nbsp; capillaries busted in her eyes...........the amusement park paid her like 20k for the damages, needless to say, she doesn't like rides too much! :2upset:

You are all going to hell with the awful puns.

She is going to be a Bell Hop!

See ya there....&nbsp; :lol:

Seriously though, it is tragic.&nbsp; I heard she was in shock and did not even realize what had happened.&nbsp; I hope she gets a bundle.

anyone ever been on the carnival ride &quot;the zipper&quot;???&nbsp; you get inside a two person cage which is part of a large oval ferris-wheel of death. it spins and the individual cages spin around too all types of forwards and backwards?
    well my friend and i got in and sat - there was just a lap bar and instantly i was terrified so i looked for something to grab onto,.. i noticed bars (attached to the cage doors we just entered) in front of me so i grabbed that,.. my friend was just looking around - the ride begins and the cage flips violently - my friend SLAMS her face into the bars because she wasnt holding herself back.. she was so dazed that she just kept flopping around the ride, hitting her head back and forth, i had to take my arm and go across her neck and hold on to the cage on her other side to hold her back from hitting her head everytime the ride flipped!!&nbsp; I thought she was gonna die, and i thought i popped a blood vessel from holding on so tightly.
    She was really dazed and should have gone to the hospital but she was mumbling about not having insurance was she would be fine..&nbsp; she was in alot of pain for about a week, but now she's ok.
    she was alwas a little dumb to begin with, she's still the same.. i mean that in the nicest way. :)

I never liked The Zipper.
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

I bet if most people stopped to think about who ACTUALLY puts these rides together and maintains them, NONE of us would ride on them, especially those fairs that move from town to town (shudder)!

http://www.wlky.com/news/13770076/detail.html

Girl Who Lost Feet At Six Flags Suffers Complications

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The teenage girl injured at Kentucky Kingdom must have more surgery because of complications, according to family members.

32 Exclusive: Girl Who Lost Feet At Six Flags Suffers Complications

Click here to find out more!

The family of Kaitlyn Lasitter issued a statement Friday to WLKY NewsChannel 32 updating their daughter's condition.

Kaitlyn's parents said their daughter's physical and emotional pain is &quot;unimaginable.&quot;

The 13-year-old's feet were severed while riding the Superman Tower of Power in June.

Her family said the complications are with her left leg, where doctors were not able to reattach her foot.

The statement from the Lasitters reads, &quot;It is disheartening as parents to have witnesses call us personally and tell us that weeks even days before the accident that they were told that the seat Kaitlyn was in was having problems at that time and that all of this could have been prevented.&quot;

In Early July, Kaitlyn's family filed a lawsuit against the park.

The suit sought unspecified damages, alleging negligence in inspecting the ride.

It also asked the judge to issue a temporary injunction to stop park officials from altering or destroying the ride.

Randy and Monique Lasitter said they're expecting a long recovery and said they still aren't sure if their daughter will be able to keep her right leg.

They also said they hope when the ordeal is over, they can help prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Stay with WLKY NewsChannel 32 for the latest updates in this developing story.

That's awful, and I feel bad for my stupid puns.&nbsp; I suck.

Thread Information