Thread: Girl (Serenity Arrington, 5) killed in East Garfield Park allegedly stabbed to death by mother, grandfather says

Girl (Serenity Arrington, 5) killed in East Garfield Park allegedly stabbed to death by mother, grandfather says

https://abc7chicago.com/watch-live-l...-park/6580519/

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A 5-year-old girl died after allegedly being stabbed to death by her own mother in East Garfield Park Saturday morning.

The young girl's grandfather claims his 27-year-old daughter is responsible for fatally stabbing her daughter on Chicago's West Side.

The medical examiner's office has identified the girl Saturday night as Serenity Arrington.

The grandfather of a 5-year-old girl stabbed to death in Garfield Park Saturday morning says his daughter, the girl's mother, allegedly killed the child.

Sylvester Washington said his grandaughter loved alphabet soup and watching movies with him.

"Y'all would have loved her. Sweet little girl. Man. Granddaddy little girl," he said.

Washington is now trying to understand how his beloved little granddaughter was taken from him. His neighbors offered their support and shared shock.

"To hear something like this happen on this block is just mind-blowing," said neighbor Melanie Weaver, "It's devastating. I couldn't imagine the pain and the devastation you know that they feel."

Chicago police responded just before 9:20 a.m. to the 3200-block of West Fulton Boulevard for a person stabbed.

When officers arrived, they found a 5-year-old girl with stab wounds being treated by Chicago fire officials.

Police took a 27-year-old woman into custody in connection with the incident, according to CPD. Officials said they believe the two are related but did not confirm their relationship.

A 5-year-old girl died after being stabbed Saturday morning in Garfield Park, Chicago police said.

We're still trying to figure out what happened at this time all we know is the victim and the suspect were in the house," said Jose Jara with the Chicago Police Department.

They also said the suspect was likely in the house with the girl at the time of the incident.

Chicago fire officials transported the girl to Stroger Hospital with "multiple stab wounds," where she died a short time later.

"It's horrible man. My own flesh-daughter did that. Man. Y'all don't want to have this feeling. No, I can't explain it," Washington said.

It's a baby. She's 5-years-old, getting ready for pre-K and all those things that she will never get to experiences and her mom," Weaver added. "She still had a whole lot of life in front of her so it's just like two lives lost."

Friends of family say they are offering whatever support they can to help this family heal.

"For it to be somebody that young and that I have interacted with... It's like man, c'mon now, I didn't see this," said family friend Darnell Richardson.

Police said the suspect is in custody and charges are pending. As for what lead up to this tragedy is still under investigation.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.

Absolutely heartbreaking. I wonder what brought this on? I feel so bad for the grandfather and her little sisters.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thats really really bad. Its fucked up. Makes me think of my friend who stabbed her son to death. Soooo sooo bad leave the children alone.

Thread Information