Thread: Samuel Laundon (19) found dead in a quarry after he went missing while taking a short cut home

Samuel Laundon (19) found dead in a quarry after he went missing while taking a short cut home

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/lo...e-389c8a597173

The Richland County Sheriff's Department has called off the search for a missing University of South Carolina after they say a body fitting his description was discovered.

Deputies made the announcement Sunday night as an update in their efforts to find 19-year-old Samuel Laundon.

Officers say the remains were found in some shrubbery in the Vulcan Materials Company quarry. The Richland County Coroner?s Office will conduct an autopsy to confirm the man?s identity and determine his cause of death.

"This is not the outcome we were hoping for," said Sheriff Lott. "I'm sorry it ended this way. We are praying for him and his family."

A missing person's report was filed just before 1 p.m. Saturday for the 19-year-old hours after it was believed he went missing.

So far, the investigation has revealed that Laundon was walking home with friends in the Olympia-Granby area when they got lost around 2:30 a.m. Saturday. Laundon jumped a fence in hopes of reaching his destination faster. When his friends called a ride-share service to take them home, Laundon declined to join them.

He was last seen in a green t-shirt, white shorts, blue jacket, and black shoes.

Sunday afternoon investigators used a helicopter to perform an aerial search of the area where Laundon was last reported seen. On Saturday, RCSD conducted a K-9 search, a search on foot and have used an aerial drone in the Olympia area between Georgia Street and Rivers Edge apartments off Huger Street.

Laundon's family said he is a sophomore majoring in international business. Sam is the youngest of three brothers. Thomas Laundon, Sam's oldest brother, says he is, "super smart, friendly and well-loved by everybody."

https://www.wyff4.com/article/corone...ndon/34346505#

Coroner Gary Watts said UofSC junior Samuel Laundon, 19, of Cary, North Carolina, died from blunt force trauma to the head and body.
    UofSC President Bob Caslen released this statement Monday:

“This morning we received confirmation from the Richland County Coroner’s Office of the death of one of our students over the weekend, junior Sam Laundon. Our deepest sympathies and heartfelt prayers are with Sam’s family and friends as they grieve his loss. Counseling services are available to students, faculty and staff impacted by this tragedy.”

People who live near the quarry describe the area as dangerous, saying it's a steep drop from the road into the area where Laundon was found.

Coroner Gary dangerous and difficult recovery mission."

The coroner's office and deputies are still investigating.

So he fell?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    So he fell?
    I think so.

Thread Information