Thread: William Anderson "Andy" Banks Jr. (39) was murdered when he tried to sell a vehicle on Craigslist

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar

William Anderson "Andy" Banks Jr. (39) was murdered when he tried to sell a vehicle on Craigslist

https://abc11.com/andy-banks-raleigh...lliam/6422049/

Raleigh police are looking for a missing 39-year-old man last seen Saturday afternoon.

William Anderson Banks Jr., known as "Andy" to his friends, was last seen around Woodburn Road close to Cameron Village.

The 911 caller who originally reported him missing Saturday said he hadn't heard from him in five or six hours and was "worried" because Banks was supposed to be selling a car.

Banks had recently posted an ad on Craigslist for a 2011 Range Rover Sport. One of his friends told ABC11 on Monday that he was supposed to show the car during the weekend to someone he met on the website.

The 911 caller said Banks was going to sell the car and then walk to his friend's apartment complex nearby, but never showed up.

"I can see on his text messages that he last checked his phone at 1:42 p.m.," the caller said. "He has not looked at his phone since then. His battery is on and it's ringing and all that."

Raleigh police originally said they were looking for the silver Range Rover in connection with the man's disappearance but announced Monday afternoon that it had been found in Danville, Virginia. Banks was not in it and was still missing.

Fliers were seen Monday in the area of his disappearance encouraging people to contact police if they see him.

His friends were also in Raleigh helping with the search.

They said Banks is a great guy who even delivered flowers and groceries to one friend's mom when she was afraid to leave the house because of COVID-19.

He makes money buying and selling cars, they said.

Banks was last seen in a parking lot outside of the now-closed K&W Cafeteria.

Banks was reportedly wearing blue Patagonia shorts, a grey shirt with a picture of a mountain on the front and flip flops.

Anyone who believes they may know where Banks is or believe they may have seen him since Saturday afternoon is asked to call 911.

https://www.wral.com/missing-raleigh...nown/19285222/

The Raleigh Police Department announced Monday afternoon that the vehicle of William "Andy" Banks was located in Danville, Va., but that the search for Banks is still ongoing.

"Speculation is running wild," Andy's younger brother Mark told WRAL News. "We are letting the proper people work on that, and the family and friends are supplying as much relevant information as we can to lead to the speedy return of my older brother that we all love. Everybody loves Andy, and we desperately want to see him again."

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I believe this might be his FB: https://www.facebook.com/WABNATION/

This looks to be the Craigslist ad: https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d...192079911.html

https://abc11.com/va-man-charged-wit...s-suv/6423817/

Authorities have arrested a man connected to the disappearance of William Anderson Banks, Jr.

Justin Fernando Merritt was charged with robbery, larceny of motor vehicle and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon in connection with the stolen vehicle, Banks' 2011 Range Rover. Merritt, 34, was taken into custody in Danville, Va.

Ugh ~ but still no William.

Case of Raleigh man's disappearance now being investigated as a homicide, police say

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The disappearance of a Raleigh man from the Cameron Village area is now being investigated as a homicide, according to Raleigh Police Department.

No charges have been filed in the case, but officers said they suspect foul play is involved in Andy Banks' disappearance.

Banks has not been seen or heard from since Saturday, when he told friends he was going to the Cameron Village area to meet a man who was interested in buying his SUV.

The stolen SUV was found Monday afternoon in Danville, Virginia. On Tuesday, Justin Fernando Merritt, 34, has been arrested and accused of stealing Banks' SUV.

Merritt was extradited to Raleigh on Wednesday morning. Newly released warrants said Merritt used a gun to threaten Banks and steal his 2011 Range Rover.

Banks has still not been located.

By Wednesday morning, Merritt had been moved to Wake County Detention Center. He is being held on a $265,000 secured bond, and he is expected to appear in front of a judge sometime Wednesday.
    https://abc11.com/suspect-connected-...in-nc/6425429/

I didn't think this was going to have a good ending once I saw they found the car in another town.

So very sad.

Body of missing Raleigh man found in Virginia, police say

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – The body of a 39-year-old man missing since Saturday afternoon is believed to have been located in Virginia, Raleigh police said.

William “Andy” Banks’ body was discovered in Virginia with help from the Pittsylvania County Sheriff’s Office.

Bank’s body will be sent to the coroner in Roanoke, Virginia for an autopsy.

Justin Fernando Merritt, of Danville, Virginia was arrested Monday in relation to the disappearance of Banks.

The Chatham Star Tribune reports the body was found on a farm on Beechnut Road in rural Chatham.

Public records show Merritt once lived on Dry Fork Road – which is around a mile from Beechnut Road.

Beechnut Road is around 12 miles northwest of Danville.

Banks, 39, was last seen Saturday afternoon after his family said he was meeting someone in the K&W Cafeteria parking lot at Cameron Village about selling his 2011 Silver Range Rover Sport.

Banks’ Range Rover was located in Danville on Monday.

Merritt was charged with robbery, larceny of motor vehicle, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon in connection with the stolen vehicle.

Merritt wasn’t served with those warrants until he was brought to Raleigh. The 34-year-old waived extradition early Tuesday.
    More here:
    https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...d-in-virginia/

Over a freaking car?! This is so sad.

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/09/18/man-...nned-car-sale/

A man has been charged with murder in the case of a North Carolina man who went missing for days after a planned car sale.

Raleigh Police say Justin Fernando Merritt has been charged with murder in connection to the homicide of 39-year-old William “Andy” Banks.

The charge comes hours after officials found the body believed to be Banks. With the assistance of the Pittsylvania County Sheriff’s Office, officials recovered the body believed to be that of Banks. Officials say the body will be sent to the coroner in Roanoke, VA, for autopsy and positive identification.

On Wednesday, authorities revealed foul play is suspected and that the incident is being investigated as a homicide based on investigative findings.

Earlier this week, Merritt was arrested in the theft of a car police say belonged to Banks. Merritt was initially charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, larceny of a motor vehicle and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

https://myfox8.com/news/warrant-miss...d-in-virginia/

A Raleigh man who went missing last weekend after trying to sell his vehicle was murdered in Wake County before his body was likely dumped in a field in Virginia, according to a Wake County arrest warrant.
    Thursday afternoon, Merritt was charged with murder, arrest records show.

The arrest warrant obtained Friday morning says that the crime occurred in Wake County on Sept. 12, the last day Banks was heard from.

Earlier Thursday, the Chatham Star Tribune reports the body was found on a farm on Beechnut Road in rural Chatham.

Public records show Merritt once lived on Dry Fork Road – which is around a mile from Beechnut Road. Beechnut Road is around 12 miles northwest of Danville.

In court Wednesday, Wake County Judge Ned Mangum raised Merritt’s bond from $265,000 to $2 million. Wake County Detention Center records show Merritt is now being held without bond on the murder charge.

Wake County Assistant District Attorney Patrick LaTour said in court that Merritt came from Virginia “under the guise” of buying Banks’ SUV.

According to warrants for his arrest, Merritt used a firearm to threaten Banks’ life during the robbery.

“All of these charges relate to a situation here in Raleigh which the victim in this case is still unaccounted for. Law enforcement suspect further of these charges, foul play involved. I would ask you substantially the defendant’s bond increase bond,” said LaTour.

LaTour said Merritt has no ties to the Raleigh area, and physical evidence linked Merritt to the Range Rover.

“They spoke to several witnesses that corroborated at least that, and based on physical evidence that they have found within the car that they believe there to have been a dangerous weapon used in the taking of that automobile,” LaTour said.

There is zero evidence of criminal conduct by Banks, LaTour said.

Thread Information