Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Joe Boever (55) hit and killed by SD Attorney General

Suicide, covid? What do you think the sheriff died from?

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Suicide, covid? What do you think the sheriff died from?
    Well, he was 69... so Covid would be a good guess. But anything is possible. There are those who smell a conspiracy, but there are a lot of conspiracy smellers around these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Probably Covid or heart attack. What good would killing him after the guy got off do? If it were a conspiracy, wouldn't it make sense to off him before the trial? Probably one too many Moons Over My Hammys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Probably Covid or heart attack. What good would killing him after the guy got off do? If it were a conspiracy, wouldn't it make sense to off him before the trial? Probably one too many Moons Over My Hammys.
    Ah but the impeachment trial starts this week. And Ravnsborg has always been in more jeopardy from that than he ever was from the courts. If you can find a way to place any blame at all on the pedestrian and don't have PROOF of impairment on the part of the driver you're not going to face anything more than a fine and/or community service here. But he could lose his cushy job and derail his ambitions to be Gov., Senator, etc.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Ah but the impeachment trial starts this week. And Ravnsborg has always been in more jeopardy from that than he ever was from the courts. If you can find a way to place any blame at all on the pedestrian and don't have PROOF of impairment on the part of the driver you're not going to face anything more than a fine and/or community service here. But he could lose his cushy job and derail his ambitions to be Gov., Senator, etc.
    I'm pretty sure he's going to lose his job with or without the Sheriff. Honestly. People aren't stupid and they know he got off easy for killing someone. Total bullshit artist.

Wow. Just wow.
    https://www.sdstandardnow.com/home/2...8w97mogtsp58jv

Hyde County Sheriff Mike Volek avoided public and press during his career, and that secrecy carries on in death

Hyde County Sheriff Mike Volek went to the grave without letting the public know what he saw and did on Sept. 12, 2020.

Volek, 69, died Monday in North Carolina. As has been typical with his office, no other details were provided. What was the cause of death? No one will say, while rumors swirl through the county and state.

I learned of his death early Tuesday afternoon, but was stymied trying to gather any details.

The sheriff?s office did not answer its phone ? an amazing statement for an emergency response organization ? and the voicemail was full. That?s how it has operated since South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg ran over and killed Joe Boever along U.S. Highway 14 just west of Highmore.

The sheriff lived in a rural home very close to the accident scene, which is why he responded to the 911 call. What happens next remains a mystery.

Ravnsborg said he walked around the crash site, using his cell phone as a light, to see if he could determine what he struck. He also said he walked back to a road sign to make sure he had just passed through Highmore ? he said he wasn?t sure of the name of the town.

If that was the case, he had to pass very close to the dead body of Boever, 55, who had been grievously injured in the crash, his right leg severed and his body terribly damaged by the impact. His face had come through the windshield, leaving his glasses behind.

Ravsnborg has insisted he didn?t notice.

Sheriff Volek (seen above in an image from the Feigum Funeral Home website) responded, but he also failed to spot Boever?s dead body, which was very close to the north driving lane of the road. How hard did he look? Did he get out and walk around?

Surely he was equipped with powerful lights on his patrol car and on his person. He must have had the ability to scour the area and search for the deer that Ravnsborg, prompted by the 911 dispatcher, claimed he had struck.

But no, he didn?t see anything.

He provided Ravnsborg, the highest-ranking law enforcement officer in the state, with a car to drive back to Pierre. Then the sheriff apparently waited for a tow truck to arrive from Pierre, about an hour away, before returning to his home.

During that wait, did he look around for a dead or injured deer? Wouldn?t that be logical, both as a humane gesture and also to ensure it did not arise and cause yet another crash?

We don?t know, because the sheriff declined all media attempts to interview him. I tried repeatedly, both on the phone and by going to his office.

It was locked, and a staffer who came to the courthouse door said the sheriff wasn?t there. He would not be talking to reporters, she told me.

Since the criminal case ended in a plea deal, allowing the AG to plead no contest to a pair of misdemeanor counts, and a civil suit was settled out of court, we never heard Volek testify under oath.

Volek did tell his story to North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation Special Agent Joe Arenz twice, as he was interviewed in Sept. 28 and Oct. 29.

Will we see those videos, as we did of Ravnsborg when he spoke to Arenz and another North Dakota BCI investigator? We should, of course, but this is South Dakota, where secrecy is paramount to many elected officials.

Impeachment proceedings will resume on Nov. 9, and what the sheriff saw and said should be important evidence.

What I have been told repeatedly by people who knew Sheriff Volek was that he was a very low-key man who preferred to settle things with a handshake, not through legal means. That?s an old-fashioned, small-town form of law enforcement, which may be popular ? Volek was in office since 1999, and had been a deputy sheriff before that ? but it doesn?t make it effective.

Take the events of April 27, 2014, for example.

A small plane carrying four men ? Nick Reimann of Ree Heights, Logan Rau of Java, Brent Beitelspacher of Bowdle and Donald ?DJ? Fischer of Gettysburg ? vanished somewhere around Highmore. Family members contacted the sheriff?s office, I am told, but received no promise of action.

Instead, they went in search of the Piper PA-32R-300 Cherokee Lance six-seater, and found tragedy.

A person who identified themselves as Jackie provided a comment on a Jan. 30 South Dakota Standard report on Volek.

?You know another interesting accident? In 2014, a small plane with four people aboard hit an unlit wind tower just west of highmore. All were killed,? Jackie posted. ?The family, having lost contact with plane, called the sheriff and asked for him to go look for signs of an accident since the only obstruction nearby was the wind farm. He never did. The family found the crash site.?

The plane had struck a 300-foot-tall wind turbine while flying in dark, cloudy, foggy, rainy conditions. All four men were killed. The crash site was in a pasture west of state Highway 47 and north of 207th Street ? like Ravnsborg?s fatal crash, it was near Highmore.

There were two other high-profile cases in the county during Volek?s tenure as sheriff. He wasn?t closely involved in either investigation, it appears.

In 2007, former Highmore and Miller Police Chief Ken Huber shot and killed his wife, Highmore Finance Officer Pam Huber. He claimed his gun misfired.

Ken Huber, it turned out, was having an affair with Hyde County State?s Attorney Jennifer Lowrie. He ended up being sentenced to life in prison.

Lowrie, who accused Volek of spreading rumors of the affair, tried to switch counties in 2008, running against Emily Sovell for the Sully County job. Sovell, who as deputy Hyde County state?s attorney, providing all or almost all legal services in place of her father, Hyde County State?s Attorney Merlin Voorhees, was in charge of the prosecution against Ravnsborg, who was a classmate at USD law school, won 316-22.

In another sensational case, David Aesoph murdered his wife Tania Aesoph on their farm northeast of Highmore in 1999. He was found guilty in 2000 and given a life sentence.

Volek was a deeply private man, which is odd for a person in public life. No photos of him have been found, and a post on the South Dakota Sheriff?s Association is threadbare, with no image of the lawman. There is a Facebook page ? but his name, much less a photo, does not appear on it.

People in his county knew him, and kept returning him to office. They liked him, and he liked being their sheriff, as long as he wasn?t asked to investigate major crimes or talk to reporters.

He frequently admonished them with a raised finger if he saw them speeding, according to Nick Nemec, a Holabird farmer, former Democratic state legislator and a cousin of Boever. Nemec said he received one of those waggling fingers, which people preferred to a ticket and fine.

It is a good way to stay popular, and win six four-year terms as sheriff.

First elected sheriff in 1998, Volek dressed informally, Nemec said, favoring blue jeans and a khaki shirt with a sheriff?s patch on a shoulder.

He didn?t wear a handgun or carry other equipment. If you didn?t know he was sheriff, he would just melt into a small crowd in the county. He lived just west of town, on the site of a former SDSU research farm.

Married, divorced and then remarried, he had four children, two from each marriage. His widow, Dixie Volek, operates the Kut Hut, a hair salon, in Highmore.

Sheriff Volek was paid $53,045.04 annually. He had a single deputy. The department?s budget is $265,910, according to Hyde County Auditor Marilyn Ring.

Volek was a slight person, around 5-foot 7, Nemec said, and he was thin. He dropped a lot of weight in the last year, Nemec said, and had been hospitalized once, maybe twice. He said the sheriff looked almost ?cadaverous.?

Did the stress of Ravnsborg?s fatal crash impact him? It almost had to, Nemec said.

What did he die of? The sheriff?s office won?t say, Hyde County Auditor Marilyn Ring, who declined to say when, where or why he died, only said the sheriff?s death was ?very unexpected and sudden.?

The Hyde County Commission held an emergency meeting on Monday and appointed Deputy Nathan Brady as the acting sheriff. The commission will discuss the matter at its Tuesday, Dec. 7, meeting, Ring said.

She said that?s in part to give Brady time to reflect on his new responsibilities. The term Volek was elected to runs through 2022.

Brady, 23, said he has been the deputy for more than a year. He is a Vermillion native and this is his first job in law enforcement. Brady admitted he is unsure if he wants to stay on as sheriff.

?I?m still deciding,? he said.

More at link

This makes me think more and more that the Sheriff killed himself before all this came out.

This makes me think more and more that the Sheriff killed himself before all this came out.
    He wouldn't be the first...

He wouldn't be the first...
    Yep. I think you guys are right.

https://www.sdstandardnow.com/home/a...eachment-today
    I'm not going to quote this, cause it's way long, with more twists than a pretzel...
    But if you'd like a recap, it's a fun read.

This is the breaking news for today... Happy birthday. AG Ravnsborg!
    https://www.courthousenews.com/south...ed-pedestrian/

The South Dakota House of Representatives voted Tuesday morning to impeach state Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg over a 2020 accident in which Ravnsborg struck and killed a pedestrian on a rural stretch of highway.

The 36-31 vote did not comport with a recommendation from the House Select Committee on Investigations against impeachment, which occurred in March in a 6-2 in a party line vote.

The matter moves to the state Senate for trial, where a two-thirds majority will be required for Ravnsborg?s removal.

Ravnsborg has remained in office since the collision despite calls for his resignation, including from Governor Kristi Noem, a fellow Republican. The attorney general pleaded no contest last year to using a mobile electronic device while driving and failing to stay in his lane.

Ravnsborg was driving home from a political fundraiser on the night he struck Joe Boever, who was walking along the shoulder of a U.S. Highway 14 near Highmore, South Dakota. The attorney general has maintained he did not realize he struck a man until he returned to the scene the next day and found his body, according to The Associated Press.

During the Select Committee meetings, law enforcement officials testified Ravnsborg had been distracted and driving on the shoulder of the highway at the time of the collision.

On Monday, Ravnsborg sent a letter to House members claiming Noem had ?weaponized? the collision by asking him to resign, South Dakota broadcaster KeloLand reported. He elected not to so to preserve checks and balances in state government, he said.

?No state has ever impeached an elected official for a traffic accident,? Ravnsborg wrote. ?I could not resign then and cannot resign now because the incident did not impede my ability to perform the functions of attorney general including ongoing investigations of the executive office. Knowing Governor Noem could hand-select my replacement, I felt it appropriate to stay in office to maintain checks and balances within the state.?

He added: ?It has been 576 days since the accident. I mark it on my calendar each day and reflect. I want to say, ?I am sorry.? Every day I think about Joe Boever, a man I had never met, who changed my life forever. I am sorry the family has had to endure this tragedy in so many ways and has been put in the middle of this highly political situation.?

Speaking in favor of impeachment, Rep. Linda K. Duba, a Democrat, blasted Ravnborg?s letter. She noted Ravnsborg had the opportunity to testify in front of the Special Committee under oath but did not, instead sending the letter at ?the eleventh hour.?

Duba emphasizing the part of the letter where Ravnsborg wanted to say he was sorry and that Boever had changed his life forever.

?Let?s turn that around. You took Joe Boever?s life. Did you intend to hit him? No. But you did. And that?s what we?re about today and that?s what we need to think about when we push the button.?

Republican members of the House spoke in favor of impeaching Ravnsborg as well.

?The attorney general has broken the law, and as a result of that, one of our citizens has died,? said Rep. Will Mortenson. ?Never before in our state?s history has it been that a state official criminally ended the life of one of our citizens and refused to resign from that post. This is a grave and exceptional situation.?

There was no testimony in opposition to the measure.
    So, as I understand it, the governor will now appoint an interim AG to take over while the impeachment trial proceeds. An Interim who will have the ability to meddle in the investigation that Ravnsborg was conducting into alleged misdeeds from the gov and her office.

What a bunch of crooks.
    Last edited by puzzld; 04-12-2022 at 11:07 AM.

https://www.sdstandardnow.com/home/a...eachment-today
    I'm not going to quote this, cause it's way long, with more twists than a pretzel...
    But if you'd like a recap, it's a fun read.

This is the breaking news for today... Happy birthday. AG Ravnsborg!
    https://www.courthousenews.com/south...ed-pedestrian/

So, as I understand it, the governor will now appoint an interim AG to take over while the impeachment trial proceeds. An Interim who will have the ability to meddle in the investigation that Ravnsborg was conducting into alleged misdeeds from the gov and her office.

What a bunch of crooks.
    Ugh. On one hand, it's totally inappropriate for him to be the AG after the bullshit he pulled. He LEFT THE SCENE and you'll never convince me that he thought he hit a deer. You would stop if you hit a deer and you wouldn't bother returning to the scene the next day if you had thought it was only a deer. Dude had booze on board and didn't want to go down for vehicular homicide.

On the other hand, this Governor is obviously using the situation to cover her ass.

Burn this whole government down.

The South Dakota Senate convicted Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg of two impeachment charges stemming from a 2020 fatal accident, removing and barring him from future office.

The South Dakota Senate on Tuesday convicted Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg of two impeachment charges stemming from a 2020 fatal accident, removing and barring him from future office in a stinging rebuke that showed most senators didn?t believe his account of the crash.

Ravnsborg, a first-term Republican who only recently announced he wouldn't seek reelection, showed little emotion as senators convicted him first of committing a crime that caused someone's death. They then delivered another guilty verdict on a malfeasance charge that alleged he misled investigators and misused his office.

Ravnsborg told a 911 dispatcher the night of the crash that he might have struck a deer or other large animal, and has said he didn?t know he struck a man ? 55-year-old Joseph Boever ? until he returned to the scene the next morning. Criminal investigators said they didn?t believe some of Ravnsborg?s statements, and several senators made clear they didn't either.

?There's no question that was a lie,? said Sen. Lee Schoenbeck, the chamber's top-ranking Republican. ?This person ran down an innocent South Dakotan.?
    Political Cartoons

Schoenbeck also criticized Ravnsborg for declining to testify in his own defense, saying Ravnsborg should have shared ?what the hell he was doing? the night of the crash.

?There's a mic right there, and that's a damn short walk," Schoenbeck said.

The convictions required a two-thirds majority. Senators only mustered the bare minimum 24 votes to convict Ravnsborg on the first charge, with some senators saying the two misdemeanors he pleaded guilty to weren't serious enough crimes to warrant impeachment. The malfeasance charge ? Ravnsborg also asked investigators what data could be found on his cell phone, among other things ? sailed through with 31 votes.

Votes to bar Ravnsborg from future office, taken on both counts, were unanimous.

Ravnsborg?s face showed little emotion throughout the votes, holding his hand over his mouth as he had for much of the trial, then writing on a notepad in his lap. He did not answer questions from reporters as he exited the Capitol.

Ravnsborg in September agreed to an undisclosed settlement with Boever?s widow.

Nick Nemec, Boever?s cousin who has been a constant advocate for a severe punishment for Ravnsborg, said the votes were ?vindication.?

?It?s just a relief. It?s been nearly two years that this has drug on and it just feels like a weight off my shoulders,? he said.

Ravnsborg is the first official to be impeached and convicted in South Dakota history.

Gov. Kristi Noem, who will pick Ravnsborg's replacement until the candidate elected to replace him in November is sworn-in, called for Ravnsborg to resign soon after the crash and later pressed lawmakers to pursue impeachment. Noem also publicly endorsed Ravnsborg?s predecessor, Republican Marty Jackley, for election as his replacement.

Ravnsborg has argued that the governor, who has positioned herself for a possible 2024 White House bid, pushed for his removal in part because he had investigated ethics complaints against Noem.

As the impeachment trial opened Tuesday, prosecutors drove at a question that has hung over developments since the September 2020 crash: Did Ravnsborg know he killed a man the night of the crash?

?He absolutely saw the man that he struck in the moments after,? said Alexis Tracy, the Clay County state?s attorney who led the prosecution.

Prosecutors also told senators that Ravnsborg had used his title ?to set the tone and gain influence? in the aftermath of the crash, even as he allegedly made ?misstatements and outright lies? to the crash investigators. The prosecution played a montage of audio clips of Ravnsborg referring to himself as the attorney general.

Prosecuting attorneys probed Ravnsborg's alleged misstatements during the aftermath of the crash, including that he never drove excessively over the speed limit, that he had reached out to Boever?s family to offer his condolence, and that he had not been browsing his phone during his drive home.

The prosecution played a series of video clips during their closing arguments that showed Ravnsborg's shifting account of his phone use during interviews with criminal investigators. The attorney general at first outright denied he had been using his phone while driving, but then acknowledged he had been looking at his phone minutes before the crash.

Ravnsborg resolved the criminal case last year by pleading no contest to a pair of traffic misdemeanors, including making an illegal lane change and using a phone while driving, and was fined by a judge.

The attorney general?s defense focused its arguments on the implications of impeachment, imploring lawmakers to consider the implications of their decision on the function of state government. Ross Garber, a legal analyst and law professor at Tulane University who specializes in impeachment proceedings, told senators to impeach would be ?undoing the will of the voters.?

Ravnsborg was driving home from a political fundraiser after dark on Sept. 12, 2020, on a state highway in central South Dakota when his car struck ?something,? according to a transcript of his 911 call afterward. He later said it might have been a deer or other animal.

Investigators identified what they thought were slips in Ravnsborg?s statements, such as when he said he turned around at the accident scene and ?saw him? before quickly correcting himself and saying: ?I didn?t see him.? And they contended that Boever?s face had come through Ravnsborg?s windshield because his glasses were found in the car.

?We?ve heard better lies from 5-year-olds,? Pennington County State's Attorney Mark Vargo, acting as an impeachment prosecutor, said of Ravnsborg's statement.

Investigators had determined the attorney general walked right past Boever?s body and the flashlight Boever had been carrying ? still illuminated the next morning ? as he looked around the scene the night of the crash.

Ravnsborg said neither he nor the county sheriff who came to the scene knew that Boever's body was lying just feet from the pavement on the highway shoulder.

?There isn?t any way you can go by without seeing that,? Arnie Rummel, an agent with the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation who led the criminal probe, said in testimony Tuesday.

Rummel added that Ravnsborg had hardly behaved like someone who had hit a deer ? a common occurrence on the highways of South Dakota.

Prosecutors also raised an exchange that Ravnsborg had with one of his staff members three days following the crash, after he had submitted his phones to crash investigators. Ravnsborg questioned an agent in the South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation about what would turn up during forensic exams of his cellphones, even though the agency was supposed to have no part in the investigation to avoid conflicts of interest.

?We were not supposed to be involved,? the now-retired agent, Brent Gromer, said as he described why the exchange made him uncomfortable.

Ravnsborg's defense attorney contended that the attorney general had done nothing nefarious and instead had cooperated fully with the crash investigation. His defense attorney, Mike Butler, described any discrepancies in Ravnsborg's memory of that night as owing to human error.

Butler disparaged the testimony from Rummel, the crash investigator, as ?opinion? that would not hold up in a court of law.

Ravnsborg was willing to take a polygraph test, though criminal investigators determined that it would not have been effective to test the attorney general?s truthfulness.

During closing arguments, Butler stated that the criminal prosecution found ?no criminal culpability? for Boever's death and urged senators to refrain from rehashing that case.

?No amount of fire and brimstone changes that given fact,? he said.

Sen. Arthur Rusch, a retired judge who said he had gotten to know Ravnsborg when he was a young attorney practicing in Rusch?s court, was among senators who didn?t support impeachment on the first charge, but did on the second. He said he was bothered by Ravnsborg?s actions in questioning Division of Criminal Investigation agents on aspects of the case and for issuing a press release on attorney general stationery.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...gs-fatal-crash

Cold comfort for the dead guy, but at least it's something. This dude is an asshole. And I STILL believe he was drunk despite him trying to paint himself as a teetotaler. Fuck this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Cold comfort for the dead guy, but at least it's something. This dude is an asshole. And I STILL believe he was drunk despite him trying to paint himself as a teetotaler. Fuck this guy.
    It's really a mixed blessing. I wanted, still want him to pay... but he was going after our corrupt, evil, horrible, no good gov.

Thread Information