Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Joe Boever (55) hit and killed by SD Attorney General

SD Rep. @WillMortenson
    a Republican from Pierre, has filed two articles of impeachment which would remove South Dakota AG Jason Ravnsborg from his office. The resolution has bipartisan support- Democrat @RepJamieSmith
    of Sioux Falls is sponsoring it
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    SD Rep. @WillMortenson
    a Republican from Pierre, has filed two articles of impeachment which would remove South Dakota AG Jason Ravnsborg from his office. The resolution has bipartisan support- Democrat @RepJamieSmith
    of Sioux Falls is sponsoring it
    I am disgusted with the charges, but not surprised. I hope they can at least impeach and remove him.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I am disgusted with the charges, but not surprised. I hope they can at least impeach and remove him.
    Yeah. Not holding my breath, and if they do remove him our covidiot gov will get to pick his replacement, so that's not good news, but better then nothing I guess.

Victims family is planning to sue, so the states insurance will have to pay up, but I can't say as I blame them.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Last edited by puzzld; 02-24-2021 at 07:04 AM.

http://dakotafreepress.com/2021/02/2...comment-283704

Son of a... go to minute 55 in the second video. At 10:20 p.m. the night of the accident, Jason Ravnsborg's phone log shows he checked his Yahoo mail. At 10:20:49, he accessed Dakota Free Press. A minute later, he checked Real Clear Politics. A minute later, he checked Just the News and accessed something related to an anti-Biden film called "Riding the Dragon." At 10:24, he called 911.

After the investigators show Ravnsborg the log, he insists he set his phone down to get rid of distractions and think about cases before the accident happened. He insists he was not looking at his phone "when it happened." He does not clearly recall looking at the information on his phone, but he insists he clearly remembers setting the phone down, shutting the radio off, looking at his speedometer, "and then wham."

Second video, 1 hr 3 min, investigator notes that Ravnsborg had been called out before for tweeting while driving. Ravnsborg insists, "I set the phone down. I know I did."
    Cory Allen Heidelberger Post author | 2021-02-23

Video 2, 1:06:40: Ravnsborg says, "Like I said, I glance at headlines, at best."

Ravnsborg insists he was getting rid of distractions so he could think about two cases" while driving" the moment before he hit and killed a man he did not see on the road on which his eyes were not.

Video 2, 1:08:40: Ravnsborg admits he was looking at articles on his phone on the drive up to Redfield earlier in the day. He had a couple of books on tape, but he didn't like either of them.

Now the horror unfolds: Video 2, 1:11:00: investigator asks Ravnsborg if he saw the glasses next to where Ravnsborg had looked for and checked in detail his insurance card Ravnsborg had the wherewithal to notice that the first insurance card he grabbed was a year out of date, but, Ravnsborg says no, he didn't see the glasses until the investigator showed them earlier.

"They're Joe's glasses' so that means his face came through the windshield."

Ravnsborg insists he did not see the man, did not see the glasses of the man he killed in his car.

Video 2 1:13:40: "One of the other things we know, Jason, is we know you weren't in the middle of the road. You were on the shoulder."

The investigators says they have three witnesses who said Boever was in the grass.

1:14:32: "part of the evidence that is really convincing is that there is bone scrape on the inside of the rumble bars. That's where his leg was likely broke. That's where the pieces were at."

The other investigator says the man was in his windshield, dragged along and lays out pretty much the gruesome scenario I deduced from the crime scene evidence that Boever's cousin Nick Nemec provided us right after the accident.

Video 2, 1:16:30: "We know that his face came through your windshield. We also have the imprint on the hood where his body, or at least part of his body, likely was riding. At some point in time he rolls off, takes out the mirror, and slides into the ditch."

V2 1:17:10: Did you see the flashlight he was carrying? We went out and tested it. We picked up the flashlight. The flashlight was still on when Joe and I got to the scene. It had not been touched. We picked it up, and the light was still in. We talked to a witness that had just seen the light, had seen him walking with the light. After the crash, did you see that light in the dark?

The flashlight was on. Joe Boever was carrying a functional, illuminated flashlight when Jason Ravnsborg hit him on the shoulder of the road and killed him.

Jason tells the investigators he is absolutely certain he did not see the flashlight glowing in the ditch. The investigators say it was hard to miss when they did their reconstructions in the dark. "That flashlight was like a beacon."
    A lot more at the link
    Last edited by puzzld; 02-24-2021 at 06:24 AM.

And of course with the delay we'll never know what his BAC was on top of looking at his phone. How convenient that he decided to be responsible right before he accidentally killed someone.

And of course with the delay we'll never know what his BAC was on top of looking at his phone. How convenient that he decided to be responsible right before he accidentally killed someone.
    A lot of people are calling for his job, his law license, planning to file lawsuits... all with good cause. People want the sheriff to step down too. But I haven't heard anyone calling the DA that filed the misdemeanor charges to answer questions about any of this. It's clear that he was driving distracted. It's clear that we'll never know if he was drunk or high. (People at the event he attended said he wasn't drinking, but hey my trust that those folks were being 100% forthright is shaky.

It is all too convenient, as you say. Shameless.

Victim's glasses found in car of South Dakota AG who said he hit a deer

https://nypost.com/2021/02/24/victim...he-hit-a-deer/

South Dakota's attorney general ' who said he hit a deer after fatally striking a pedestrian last year ' allegedly had the victim's glasses inside his car, according to newly-released interviews.

The state's Department of Public Safety on Tuesday released recordings of investigators questioning Jason Ravnsborg about the Sept. 12 crash that left 55-year-old Joseph Boever dead.

The footage shows how, during a Sept. 14 interview, detectives told Ravnsborg that they had discovered a pair of broken glasses on the front passenger floorboard of his vehicle.

During a second sit-down on Sept. 30, interviewers asked about the glasses again, telling Ravnsborg that they had belonged to the victim.

'They're Joe's glasses,' an agent says, referring to Boever. 'So that means his face came through your windshield.'

Upon hearing that, Ravnsborg looked down and sighed deeply, before shaking his head, the footage shows.

'I did not see those glasses until you showed them to me,' he said.

The agent told Ravnsborg that 'the only way for them to get there is through the windshield.'

'His face was in your windshield, Jason. Think about that.'

Ravnsborg maintained that he hadn't seen the glasses until investigators showed them to him ' and that he truly didn't realize he'd hit a person at the time of the crash.

'I did not see him. I did not see anything,' Ravnsborg insisted. 'I did not know it was a human until the next day.'

An investigator replied that: 'You think you had an idea it was something other than a deer, though''

'I just believed it was a deer.' Ravnsborg replied. 'I do.'

After the crash, Ravnsborg told authorities that he thought he had plowed his 2011 Ford Taurus into a deer or another large animal as he drove on US Highway 14 at about 10:30 p.m.

He was on his way home from a GOP fundraiser at Rooster's Bar and Grill, where attendees were offered the chance to win a handgun engraved with then-President Trump's name, according to the South Dakota GOP's website.

The 44-year-old Republican was charged in the incident last week and faces three counts of careless driving, operating a motor vehicle while using a mobile electronic device and veering out of his lane.

Authorities said the evidence didn't support more serious felony raps, and that Ravnsborg was not intoxicated at the time of the incident.

Ravnsborg, who was elected to his first term in 2018, was distracted when he swerved into Boever, who was walking on the highway's shoulder, according to crash investigators.

South Dakota House lawmakers began impeachment proceedings against Ravnsborg on Tuesday, following the release of the interviews and other investigative materials.

Lawmakers argued in the impeachment resolution that Ravnsborg should be removed from office for 'his crimes or misdemeanors in office causing the death' of Boever.

Gov. Kristi Noem, also a Republican, called for Ravnsborg to resign shortly before the impeachment resolution was filed.

'Now that the investigation has closed and charges have been filed, I believe the Attorney General should resign,' she tweeted. 'I have reviewed the material we are releasing, starting today, and I encourage others to review it as well.'

But Ravnsborg's will not be stepping down, according to his spokesman Mike Deaver.

'As an attorney and a Lt. Colonel in the Army Reserves, AG Ravnsborg has fought for the rule of law and personal liberties and would hope that he is afforded the same right and courtesy,' Deaver said in a statement.

https://twitter.com/jayfug/status/1365391509466583041

We're usually a fairly divided state. Rs and Ds and Ls don't see things the same way for the most part. But we all seem pretty united in the idea the Ravnsborg needs to go.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...fatal-n1258938
    Judge stops Gov. Kristi Noem from releasing records in AG's fatal crash
    https://twitter.com/jayfug/status/1365415006599282689
    The Ravnsborg videos were taken down, but not before probably half the state had watched them and potentially downloaded them (I'm only partially joking here). (24/x)
    Just one of the places you can find the "removed" videos has 22K views.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK..._cfRpCv4LTdWf4

https://twitter.com/jayfug/status/1365415006599282689

Just one of the places you can find the "removed" videos has 22K views.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK..._cfRpCv4LTdWf4
    Good. Everyone should watch them!

Gov. Kristi Noem regularly extols the virtues of transparency, but when the light shines in her direction, our opaque guv is no Ms. Cellophane.

The most recent example is Noem?s refusal to disclose security expenses on junkets across the U.S. ?representing? the people of South Dakota. Never mind that her representation isn?t sought or required in Georgia, Florida, Texas or other states. The trips, to be clear, are all about Noem (seen above with Ravnsborg in a photo from Dakota Radio Group) and her political ambitions. But mum?s the word on security costs, even to ranking members of state appropriations committees.

All of which is strange when more than three hours of investigatory tapes were posted online on Feb. 23. The tapes became all the buzz. They showed a pair of North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation special agents grilling South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg about his driving on the evening of Sept. 12 when he ran down Joe Boever of Highmore.

In his 911 emergency call, Ravnsborg told the operator he ?hit something.? Hyde County Sheriff Mike Volek arrived at the scene and took the accident report. Ravnsborg borrowed the sheriff?s personal car and drove home while his car was towed away.

Somehow, all involved missed Boever, whose damaged and lifeless body was found the next day. No blood-alcohol test was taken until nearly 15 hours later. The accident reports conjured stomach-churning images of an injured man left to die alone in a roadside ditch.

In mid-February, Ravnsborg was finally charged with three class 2 misdemeanors in Boever?s death. Everything about this case has had the odor of deception and cover-up, and last week the governor?s office added to the stink.

On Feb. 23, Noem asked for Ravnsborg?s resignation. Later that same day, her office posted the shocking and unprecedented interrogation videos.

The thudding noise that followed the video release was the collective sound of reporters? jaws hitting their desktops. Prior to retirement, I spent nearly 10 years as a reporter in South Dakota and double that time elsewhere and I?ve never seen this level of disclosure in an active case. I?m certain most colleagues would agree.

Lately, reporters are hard-pressed to get the timely release of the names of those in auto crashes, never mind more substantive information. South Dakota government is not as transparent as some might think.

Noem has made it no secret that, like her orange-haired mentor, she?s at war with the press for its alleged unfair coverage of her and her administration, but she has no problem using the press for her own purposes.

Regardless of one?s feelings about Ravnsborg?s part in Boever?s death, the latter?s family as well as the attorney general deserve their day in court.

Instead of letting matters play out in a court of law, Noem has injected herself and tainted the process.

Soon after the video release, Ravnsborg attorney Tim Rensch of Rapid City called Noem?s actions unfair and prejudicial and filed a motion in Hyde County court to prevent disclosure of criminal investigation information. On Feb. 25, retired Sixth Circuit Judge John Brown upheld that motion and ordered Noem to remove all video postings and not to produce or release to the public any further information about the case.

Noem?s actions can?t be excused on the basis of ignorance or even stupidity. Hyde County Deputy State?s Attorney Emily Sovell asked Noem not to release the videos but she did so anyway.

All of which begs the question, ?Why did she choose to taint the Ravnsborg-Boever case and ignore South Dakota?s legal processes??

The answer lies in Noem?s populist thinking.

Ravnsborg, now facing impeachment after the filing of charges in the Boever case, has become a statewide pariah. With public sentiment rising against the attorney general, Noem chose to inflame that sentiment and ride the righteous wave. She decided to pile on, and to hell with the law.

Noem had every right to request the AG?s resignation, he had become an embarrassment, but she couldn?t leave it at that. Instead, she chose to abuse her power.

Her interference will not serve the Boever family well.

The only thing transparent in this case is how the governor has ignored the law and used the tragic death of a citizen to serve her own ambitious agenda.
    https://www.sdstandardnow.com/home/n...-investigation

South Dakota Attorney General claims deadly crash where he mowed down pedestrian in hit and run may have been suicide

https://www.crimeonline.com/2021/07/...-been-suicide/

A defense attorney of South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg, charged in a deadly hit-and-run accident last fall, is focusing on the victim’s mental health, suggesting that Joseph Boever may have committed suicide.

Ravnsborg, 45, is charged with three misdemeanor traffic charges in the incident, none of which allege criminal culpability, according to the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader. Investigators said they couldn’t find enough evidence to charge him with reckless driving.

Nevertheless, defense attorney Tim Rensch filed a six-page motion on Friday requesting Boever’s psychiatric and psychological records and “information concerning his suicidal ideation.”

Rensch’s motion alleges alcoholism and prescription drug abuse and quotes a cousin who was willing to say that Boever once told him “his preferred method of suicide would be to throw himself in front of a car.”

Boever was walking along South Dakota Highway 14 on the night of September 12, 2020, as he walked back to where he’d left his truck after a minor accident earlier in the day. Ravnsborg was driving home from a fundraising dinner. After he hit Boever, he called 911, saying he thought he might have hit a deer, as CrimeOnline previously reported.

Hyde County Sheriff Mike Vole came to the scene and reportedly searched the area with Ravnsborg for what the attorney general had hit, but found nothing. The sheriff then lent Ravnsborg his personal vehicle to drive home so the attorney general would not have to wait for a tow truck. The next morning, Ravnsborg came upon the scene on the way to return the sheriff’s vehicle and found Boever’s body. It remains unknown if Boever was killed instantly or if he might have survived if he had received medical help.

Video of a police interview with Ravnsborg, conducted more than two weeks after the incident, revealed that Boever’s eyeglasses were found inside the Republican attorney general’s vehicle and prompting the detective to tell him, “His face was in your windshield, Jason. Think about that.”

Prosecutors say cell phone data records show Ravnsborg had been using his phone about a minute before the crash, and a forensic report determined his vehicle was in the shoulder when he hit Boever. And prosecutors aren’t quite sure how Ravnsborg didn’t find Boever after the crash — the victim was carrying a flashlight that was still on when deputies found the body the next day.

Ravnsborg has pleaded not guilty to the three misdemeanor charges against him: operating a vehicle while using an electronic device, driving outside his lane, and careless driving. His trial is expected to begin next month.

This just makes me sick. Ravnsborg faces basically no legal peril. He's gonna get a slap on the wrist for the misdemeanors, a little fine and he'll go on with his life. Maybe he'll lose his AG job in the next election (I think this whole suicide ploy makes it more likely he'll be voted out rather than less) and he'll go on with his life. He goes back to private practice and goes on with his life. The damage that can be done to Ravnsborg has been done. He had to replace his car, he may need to figure out a new job to replace the old, maybe he planned a political career and that's going to be tougher now. I don't see how dragging Joe and Joe's family thru more mud helps Ravnsborg. Creep. Even if Joe was suicidal, Ravnsborg was still guilty of the 3 charges (if the forensics were as they've been reported) blaming the poor dead guy helps how?

RAPID CITY, S.D. (KOTA) - The legal team representing Jason Ravnsborg filed a motion on July 9. This one asking for access to Joseph Boever?s psychiatric records.

Ravnsborg hit Boever last September on a dark stretch of Highway 14. Boever died as a result.

In the paperwork that was filed on July 9. Ravnsborg?s attorneys say that Boever had told friends that his preferred method of suicide would be to ?throw himself in front of a car?.

The paperwork also claims that Boever had been seeing mental health providers.

The defense also cited medication that had been filled the day before, but only 12 of the 90 pills remained. The medication in question can cause suicidal ideations.

Ravnsborg?s legal team also claims that in the weeks before the accident Boever had been acting ?erratically?, putting Boever?s state of mind in question on that September night.
    https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/2021/0...atric-records/

Ravnsborg, who faces three misdemeanor charges for the accident, is scheduled to go to trial in August.
    A prosecutor says South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg will avoid a trial and take a plea deal for misdemeanor traffic charges in a crash last year in which he hit and killed a man who was walking near a rural highway.

Beadle County State?s Attorney Michael Moore declined to give further details of the arrangement. Moore said Wednesday that Ravnsborg will enter the plea Thursday.

The widow of the man killed, Joseph Boever, has indicated she plans to file a wrongful death lawsuit against Ravnsborg.

Ravnsborg told investigators he thought he struck a deer while driving home from a fundraiser late on Sept. 12.

Ravnsborg will not need to be present during Thursday?s court hearing to submit the plea deal. Additionally, the gag order will be lifted following the deal.
    https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/2021/0...m_content=ksfy

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Regardless of the victim's mental health status....
    HE DROVE AWAY AND LEFT HIM FOR DEAD.

There's no way to prove either way if the guy wanted to commit suicide, but it's a proven fact that he killed the dude and left the scene of the accident.

As usual, it's gearing up to let him get off with a slap on the wrist because of his status. Sickening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Yeah. He was walking down the side of the road with a flashlight. You ran into him on the shoulder of the road leaving the body along with the still lighted flash light in the ditch. And the best you can come up with was he wanted to kill himself? I hope his wife cleans up with a wrongful death suit.

Yeah. He was walking down the side of the road with a flashlight. You ran into him on the shoulder of the road leaving the body along with the still lighted flash light in the ditch. And the best you can come up with was he wanted to kill himself? I hope his wife cleans up with a wrongful death suit.
    Same. Team "Wife Takes Him To The Cleaners".

South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg pleaded no contest Thursday to a pair of misdemeanor traffic charges over a crash last year that killed a pedestrian, avoiding jail time despite bitter complaints from the victim's family that he was being too lightly punished for actions they called "inexcusable."

Circuit Judge John Brown had little leeway to order jail time. Instead, he fined the state's highest law enforcement official $500 for each of the two counts and ordered him to pay court costs of $3,742. Brown also ordered the Republican attorney general to "do a significant public service event" in each of the next five years near the date of Joseph Boever's death" granting a request from the Boever family. But he put that on hold after Ravnsborg's attorney objected that it was not allowed by statute.

Brown was to consider that argument and rule later.

Ravnsborg's plea capped the criminal portion of a case that led fellow Gov. Kristi Noem ? a fellow Republican ? and prosecutors around the state to no longer support him. It didn't end his troubles, though, as he still faces a likely lawsuit from the Boever family and a potential impeachment attempt.

Ravnsborg was driving home to Pierre from a political fundraiser on Sept. 12 when he struck the 55-year-old Boever, who was walking on the side of a highway. In a 911 call after the crash, Ravnsborg was initially unsure about what he hit and then concluded it had been a deer. He said he didn't realize he struck a man until he returned to the crash scene the next day and discovered the body of Boever, who was killed at age 55.

Ravnsborg pleaded no contest to charges of making an illegal lane change and using a phone while driving, which each carry a sentence of up to 30 days in jail and up to a $500 fine. He had been charged with three misdemeanors, but prosecutors dropped a careless driving charge as part of the deal.

A no contest plea is not an admission of guilt but is treated as such for the purposes of sentencing.

Ravnsborg didn't attend the hearing, he didn't have to and was represented by his attorney, Tim Rensch. That angered Boever's family.

"Why, after having to wait nearly a year, do we not have the chance to face him?" Boever's sister, Jane Boever, asked the court, adding "his cowardly behavior leaves us frustrated."

She said her brother was "left behind carelessly" the night he died. And she accused Ravnsborg of running down her brother and then using his position and resources to string the case along. She said he has shown no remorse, and only "arrogance toward the law."

Jane Boever was frustrated with the prosecution's handling of the case and called the punishment on misdemeanor charges ?a slap on the wrist.?

?Our brother lay in the ditch for 12 hours,? she said. ?This is inexcusable.?

Joseph Boever's widow, Jennifer Boever, said Ravnsborg?s ?actions are incomprehensible and ? cannot be forgiven.?

Rensch pushed back hard on the family?s criticism, calling the attorney general an ?honorable man.? Rensch said Ravsnborg had been consistent from the beginning that he simply did not see Boever. And he noted that the case was ?not a homicide case, and it?s not a manslaughter case,? as prosecutors had said in bringing the misdemeanor charges.

?Accidents happen, people die. It should not happen. No one wants anybody to die,? he said.

Beadle County State's Attorney Michael Moore, one of the prosecutors, agreed with Rensch that Ravnsborg had cooperated with the investigation by sitting down for two interviews with investigators. He was also satisfied with Ravnsborg's punishment and the crash investigation.

?Because of who it was and the high profile nature of the case, the investigation was a lot more thorough,? he said.

After a months-long investigation led to prosecutors charging Ravnsborg with the three misdemeanors in February, Noem placed maximum pressure on Ravnsborg to resign, releasing videos of investigators questioning him after the crash. They revealed gruesome details, including that detectives believed Boever's body had collided with Ravnsborg's windshield with such force that part of his eyeglasses were deposited in the backseat of Ravnsborg's car.

Rensch told reporters after the hearing that he thinks Noem treated Ravnsborg unfairly, saying he had been subjected to political attacks as the case moved forward. The judge barred state officials in February from divulging details of the investigation and ordered the interview videos removed from a state-run website.

Prosecutors said Ravnsborg was on his phone roughly one minute before the crash, and phone records showed it was locked at the moment of impact. Ravnsborg told investigators that the last thing he remembered before impact was turning off the radio and looking down at the speedometer.

A toxicology report taken roughly 15 hours after the crash showed no alcohol in Ravnsborg?s system, and people who attended the fundraiser said he was not seen drinking alcohol.

Throughout the criminal investigation and political pressure campaign from his own party, Ravnsborg has adamantly denied he did anything wrong. He has insisted he had no idea he hit a man until returning to the crash site and that he is still worthy of remaining the state's attorney general.

However, the crash and investigation has opened a divide among Republicans. Noem tried repeatedly to force Ravnsborg from office but he has retained support among some GOP circles. The attorney general has even been spotted working booths for local Republican groups at county fairs in recent weeks.

?When people look at his record of achievements, they will find he?s done a good job,? said Republican state Rep. Steve Haugaard, an ally of the attorney general.

The attorney general built his political rise on personal connections in the party. It was his dutiful attendance at local GOP events like the one he was returning from when he struck Boever that propelled him from being a party outsider to winning the Republican nomination for attorney general in 2018.

Boever's widow has indicated that she plans to file a wrongful death lawsuit against Ravnsborg. And Ravnsborg's popular predecessor, Marty Jackley, is already running for his old job and has collected the support of most of the state's county prosecutors. Perhaps most pressing for Ravnsborg is that legislators are once again considering moving forward with impeachment proceedings.
    https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/tri...in-fatal-crash
    Last edited by puzzld; 08-26-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Yep. Just what I thought would happen. Despicable.

57 in a 35: Four Days Before Trial, Ravnsborg Got Speeding Ticket

Ravnsborg's speeding ticket days before court appearance reveals once again his arrogance and lawlessness

We really didn't need further evidence that Jason Ravnsborg is an arrogant man who doesn't think the law applies to him.

But we got it.

Ravnsborg was cited for speeding mere days before he was scheduled to go on trial for the fatal crash that killed Joe Boever on Sept. 12. Austin Goss, a Pierre-based reporter for the Dakota News Now, KOTA Territory News and Black Hills Fox TV stations, broke the story early Tuesday.

Ravnsborg was cited in Hughes County for going 57 mph in a 35-mph zone. He was ticketed at 8:54 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 22. His trial was set to start in less than four days.

We know how that worked out. Ravnsborg agreed to plead no contest to two misdemeanors, improper lane change and driving a motor vehicle while operating an electronic device. A third count, careless driving, was dismissed as part of the deal.

What we need to know now is, did prosecutors know he was still breaking traffic laws? Were they aware the man who ran over and killed Joe Boever on the west edge of Highmore was still driving so carelessly, so recklessly, so lawlessly?

If they did, why did they accept the plea deal?

If they did not, why not? Shouldn't this important and revealing information have been made available in such a high-profile case?

Nothing can be done now, of course. The attorney general had his day in court ? although, of course, he didn't bother to show up. He was not at a single hearing during the process.

Instead, he has been making the rounds, appearing at fairs and before Republican gatherings, trying to maintain enough support to be nominated for a second term.

South Dakota's a big state, so Ravnsborg obviously feels the need to speed when he is on the road. This is his seventh speeding ticket in the past seven years, having been stopped and cited in his native Iowa as well as South Dakota.

This is the highest law enforcement officer in our state, a serial speeder who ran over and killed a man, who claimed he didn't know what he struck even though Boever's face came through his windshield.

A North Dakota investigator all but called the AG a liar for that. People across the state and nation are convinced he has been dishonest about what happened that night.

We never got to find out through the pathetic criminal process that was played out. It was a farce, with Ravnsborg facing few real consequences for his actions. He was not tested for alcohol or drugs after the crash. He never saw a jail cell, nor did he bother to appear in court.

Instead, he raced away, speeding recklessly across our state. He should have resigned long before this, but with this revelation, the demand must be made loud and clear.

Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg is a danger to the people of South Dakota. He does not deserve the honor to represent them in his official capacity. If he will not do the decent thing and resign "and it's clear he will not " he must be impeached.

Actually, he doesn't deserve the privilege of driving. It's time to yank his driver's license and remove this hazard from our roadways before someone else is killed.

https://www.sdstandardnow.com/home/r...nd-lawlessness
    Last edited by puzzld; 08-31-2021 at 05:41 AM.

https://dakotafreepress.com/2021/11/...ff-volek-dies/

Killer Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg?s impeachment is November 9. A week before that historic House hearing, the first man on the scene of Ravnsbnorg?s fatal car crash and the second man to completely miss the body of Joseph Boever and his illuminated flashlight shining like a beacon in the night in the HIghway 14 ditch west of Highmore, Hyde County Sheriff Mike Volek, has died.

The sheriff who responded to the scene of a fatal car crash caused by the South Dakota attorney general last year has died, the Hyde County Sheriff?s office said Tuesday.

The office declined to release further details about the death of Sheriff Mike Volek, but said it planned to release a statement, KELO-TV reported. He was 69 and had served as sheriff for 22 years [?Sheriff Who Responded to South Dakota AG?s Fatal Crash Dies,? AP, 2021.11.02].

Volek never commented publicly on the Ravnsborg?s killing of Joseph Boever or his own incompetence in securing and investigating a crime scene. His only known testimony on his interaction with Ravnsborg and his ignorance of Ravnsborg?s crime is whatever he said to North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation agent Joe Arenz on September 28 and October 29, 2020. Those statements are included in the investigation files that the South Dakota Department of Public Safety has released to the Legislature but which the Legislature is keeping secret. Those files also contain the Hyde County Sheriff?s Department reports on Ravnsborg?s crash submitted to Arenz on October 20, 2020, and audio recordings of a dispatch call to Sheriff Volek and a call back from Sheriff Volek to dispatch.

So if we want to know what Sheriff Volek saw that night when Jason Ravnsborg killed a man just a mile from the sheriff?s house, we?ll have to turn to Agent Arenz?s record, as Volek is no longer available to testify.

Thread Information