Thread: Sacramento County Sheriff's Office: Officers shoot suspect (Miguel Hernandez, 22) in Rancho Cordova 09/05/2020

Sacramento County Sheriff's Office: Officers shoot suspect (Miguel Hernandez, 22) in Rancho Cordova 09/05/2020

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/sa...ancho-cordova/

RANCHO CORDOVA, Calif. (KTXL) ? The Sacramento County Sheriff?s Office says deputies shot a suspect in Rancho Cordova Saturday night.

According to the sheriff?s office, the shooting happened at Investment Circle near Folsom Boulevard just after 7 p.m.

The bullets came flying through the Rancho Cordova Food Bank and narrowly missed people inside according to volunteers George Howland and Rose.

?Bam! Bam!? Howland told FOX40 Sunday. ?It came in here and you can look on the other side and see where it came out.?

?I was there five seconds before it came through. We heard the gunshots and started running! It doesn?t take long for the gunshot to get here?and there?s no names on it!? Rose said.

The food bank was one of several storefronts caught in the middle as deputies shot the suspect after they said he pointed a gun at them.

Deputies said they were responding to reports of a man vandalizing the shopping center and damaging a fence.

Deputies tried to speak with a man matching the suspect description, but they said he took off running.

?As the suspect fled around a corner, he produced a firearm, pointed it at the deputies and they lost sight of him at that point. When they reacquired sight of the suspect, he again pointed a firearm at the deputies,? said Sergeant Tess Deterding of the Sacramento County Sheriff?s Office.

Deterding said four deputies fired their weapons, striking the man.

He was taken to the hospital and is expected to survive.

Investigators have not said how many shots deputies fired, but bullets lining businesses in the area show several gunshots must have gone off.

Investigators said they?re still looking into whether the suspect fired his weapon, but no officers were injured.

The sheriff?s office has not yet released many details on who the suspect is, only saying that he is 22 years old.

?I mean there was probably like 15 times they gave him to end it peacefully and he didn?t,? Howland said.

While some shrapnel cut up Howland?s arm, he said he still counts himself lucky.

?It wasn?t bad,? Howland said. ?I endured a lot worse in Vietnam, so??

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cr...245528375.html

More Details

A man with a weapon was shot Saturday night by the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office in Rancho Cordova, but few details in the second officer-involved shooting in two weeks in the city have emerged in the hours since.

The department said in a social media post just before 8:30 p.m. that the person was transported to a hospital after the incident on the 10400 block of Investment Circle, just off of Folsom Boulevard. No deputies were injured, the tweet said.

No other details were provided, and calls to the Sheriff’s Office were not returned Sunday.

What led to the incident was unclear, but radio traffic details what unfolded just after 7 p.m. as deputies were called to the 10400 block of Investment Circle, just off Folsom Boulevard, for a report of a suspect with a BB gun in his waistband who entered into The Arbors Apartments, a gated complex on the northeast section of the circle.

When deputies arrived, according to radio traffic, they encountered a suspect. Deputies told dispatchers that the man was seen pointing the weapon at the ground before he turned it towards deputies, who were separated from him at a distance by a chain-link fence in a vacant lot nearby.

He pointed it at us,” one of the deputies radioed at 7:28 p.m. Deputies indicated the suspect — described as a Hispanic man in his 30s, 5-foot-8 to 5-foot-10 with black hair, no shirt and black jeans — continued not complying with law enforcement orders.

The man then began running toward the Sacramento RT light-rail station on Folsom Boulevard. At 7:30 p.m., shots were fired at the suspect as he again pointed the weapon at deputies, one of them radioed to dispatchers. It’s unclear if the man was struck but he continued to run “westbound,” according to deputies.

It’s not known if shots were fired again but, about two minutes later, deputies repeated a “shots fired” call next to a pizzeria at the intersection of Folsom Boulevard and the west end of Investment Circle.

“Suspect down. Still moving,” one of the deputies radioed. About a minute later, according to radio communications, deputies yelled for cover again.
    Several minutes passed before deputies are heard saying that the suspect was down and that no law enforcement was injured.

According to deputies, the man, who was not identified, was transported to UC Davis Medical Center in an unknown condition.

Other details about the shooting, including how many deputies fired at the man, how many rounds were fired and whether the gun was real or a replica BB gun as initially indicated, remained unanswered Sunday.

Deputies from the agency, which contracts for police services in the city of Rancho Cordova, were involved in another officer-involved shooting two weeks ago.

In the Aug. 22 incident about 1? miles away on Dutchess Way, police fired upon a man who had shot and killed a woman inside a mobile home before encountering deputies.

The man — identified as Christopher Walker, 29, of Sacramento — fired upon arriving law enforcement, wounding Deputy Eric Schmidt. Schmidt survived and was released from the hospital five days later after undergoing surgery. Walker died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Walker had shot and killed Betty Lou Winn Spirk, 58, of Sacramento in the incident as well, according to investigators.

Detail Information for:
    Case Number: 20-05011
    Last Name: Caldwell
    Release Authorization Name Relationship
    Yes Hope Caldwell Mother
    Yes Timothy Caldwell Father

Event Data:

Address: Dew Drop Way
    City: Citrus Heights State: CA Zip: 95621
    Date: 09/05/2020 Time:
    Release Status
    Release Status Coroner to Sign DC
    Released to Sunset Lawn Chapel of the Chimes Yes
    Forms:
    Release of Authorization (allow another to handle the decedent's arrangements or property)
    Release of Custody (allow funeral home to take possession of the decedent)

http://coronerapp.saccounty.net/rptD...seNum=20-05011

Timothy Caldwell (22) is the person identified in the death report.

I didn't think this would be solved. Was trying to find this info earlier today. I wasn't sure that the guy died but I checked the coroner's page. I couldn't narrow it down from the location; however, I'm not familiar with the area.

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    I didn't think this would be solved. Was trying to find this info earlier today. I wasn't sure that the guy died but I checked the coroner's page. I couldn't narrow it down from the location; however, I'm not familiar with the area.
    The news story says the incident happened in Rancho Cordova, but on the coroner's site it lists the address for his death as Citrus Heights. It's about a 20 - 25 minute drive apart. Are we sure this is the correct guy?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Deputies in Rancho Cordova say suspect aimed gun at them before they shot him

*** There's an update posted. Wrong guy and he is not dead. This is more like a current news item. ***

The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office identified the man injured in the Sept. 5 shooting as 22-year-old Miguel Hernandez.

Hernandez was treated for his injuries and booked into Sacramento County Main Jail on charges related to pointing a firearm at an officer.

He has since been released from jail.

Police said Hernandez was carrying an ignition timing gun that was altered to look like a firearm.

The sheriff’s office released audio and video related to this shooting.

Original Story Below

RANCHO CORDOVA, Calif. (KTXL) — The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office says deputies shot a suspect in Rancho Cordova Saturday night.

According to the sheriff’s office, the shooting happened at Investment Circle near Folsom Boul

Deputies in Rancho Cordova say suspect aimed gun at them before they shot him

*** There's an update posted. Wrong guy and he is not dead. This is more like a current news item. ***

Thanks! for the correction.

*** From what I can find the people who have actually died are the ones at the bottom of the second article. ***

Deputies from the agency, which contracts for police services in the city of Rancho Cordova, were involved in another officer-involved shooting two weeks ago.

In the Aug. 22 incident about 1? miles away on Dutchess Way, police fired upon a man who had shot and killed a woman inside a mobile home before encountering deputies.

The man — identified as Christopher Walker, 29, of Sacramento — fired upon arriving law enforcement, wounding Deputy Eric Schmidt. Schmidt survived and was released from the hospital five days later after undergoing surgery. Walker died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Walker had shot and killed Betty Lou Winn Spirk, 58, of Sacramento in the incident as well, according to investigators.
    Sheriff: Man shoots self after Rancho Cordova gunbattle with deputies

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...es/ar-BB18pkMa

KCRA Sacramento logoSheriff: Man shoots self after Rancho Cordova gunbattle with deputies

A man who died in a Rancho Cordova shootout with Sacramento County sheriff's deputies had shot and killed himself after being shot and injured by officers, officials said Wednesday.

The Saturday evening gunbattle ended with the man, 29-year-old Christopher Walker, and a woman dead after bullets flew at a mobile home park in the 160 block of Dutchess Way, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Office said. A deputy was also wounded, but he is expected to survive his injuries.

The sheriff's office said deputies responded to the neighborhood around 7 p.m. Saturday after a woman, 58-year-old Betty Lou Winn Spirk, called dispatchers saying Walker was inside her home and pointing a gun at her, telling her to leave her home.

Deputies spotted Walker and tried to contact him, but he ran away and led deputies toward the backyard, the sheriff's office said. Walker shot at deputies, prompting them to return fire.

Walker was hit twice by deputies before he pointed the gun at his head and pulled the trigger, killing himself, the sheriff's office said. One of the deputies, a four-year veteran with the sheriff's office, was hit least twice in the lower body during the shootout.

Winn Spirk was shot four times by Walker during the gunbattle, which lasted for about a couple minutes, the sheriff's office said. She died of her injuries.

Officials originally said Walker's grandmother, who had a reported restraining order against him, had called dispatchers. The sheriff's office said Wednesday that Winn Spirk called dispatchers, not Walker's grandmother. The sheriff's office also said there is no record of a restraining order against Walker.

Walker's grandmother, who lived in Winn Spirk's home, was present at the time of the shooting, but she was uninjured, the sheriff's office said. Investigators believe Walker and Winn Spirk knew each other, but the extent of their relationship is unknown.
    Last edited by up2trouble; 10-06-2020 at 06:21 AM.

*** From what I can find the people who have actually died are the ones at the bottom of the second article. ***

Sheriff: Man shoots self after Rancho Cordova gunbattle with deputies

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...es/ar-BB18pkMa

KCRA Sacramento logoSheriff: Man shoots self after Rancho Cordova gunbattle with deputies

A man who died in a Rancho Cordova shootout with Sacramento County sheriff's deputies had shot and killed himself after being shot and injured by officers, officials said Wednesday.

The Saturday evening gunbattle ended with the man, 29-year-old Christopher Walker, and a woman dead after bullets flew at a mobile home park in the 160 block of Dutchess Way, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Office said. A deputy was also wounded, but he is expected to survive his injuries.

The sheriff's office said deputies responded to the neighborhood around 7 p.m. Saturday after a woman, 58-year-old Betty Lou Winn Spirk, called dispatchers saying Walker was inside her home and pointing a gun at her, telling her to leave her home.

Deputies spotted Walker and tried to contact him, but he ran away and led deputies toward the backyard, the sheriff's office said. Walker shot at deputies, prompting them to return fire.

Walker was hit twice by deputies before he pointed the gun at his head and pulled the trigger, killing himself, the sheriff's office said. One of the deputies, a four-year veteran with the sheriff's office, was hit least twice in the lower body during the shootout.

Winn Spirk was shot four times by Walker during the gunbattle, which lasted for about a couple minutes, the sheriff's office said. She died of her injuries.

Officials originally said Walker's grandmother, who had a reported restraining order against him, had called dispatchers. The sheriff's office said Wednesday that Winn Spirk called dispatchers, not Walker's grandmother. The sheriff's office also said there is no record of a restraining order against Walker.

Walker's grandmother, who lived in Winn Spirk's home, was present at the time of the shooting, but she was uninjured, the sheriff's office said. Investigators believe Walker and Winn Spirk knew each other, but the extent of their relationship is unknown.
    I know we have a separate thread for that guy who was shot and killed, Christopher Walker. I remember looking for his fb.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information