Thread: United Airlines Executive Jake Cefolia (49) missing from near Lemont, IL, since 8/6/2020

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar

United Airlines Executive Jake Cefolia (49) missing from near Lemont, IL, since 8/6/2020

https://abc7chicago.com/jake-cefolia...utive/6370622/

A massive search is underway Friday for a high-ranking United Airlines executive from west suburban Elmhurst.

At least 100 volunteers along with K-9 units are searching for Jake Cefolia at the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve. The 49-year-old was reported missing nearly a week ago on August 8. Police said they found his car at the forest preserve.

"He commonly ran, we have 9 or 10-mile loop here at the forest preserve, so he's an athletic 49-year-old gentleman," said Chief David Peterson, with the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County. "We don't know for sure he's still at the forest preserve, but at this point there's been no contact with family or friends."

United Airlines said Cefolia is a senior vice president of worldwide sales. The company said in a written statement: "Our friend and colleague, Jake Cefolia, SVP of Worldwide Sales, was last seen Thursday evening, August 6th. We're concerned about his well-being and have been in touch with Jake's family over the last couple of days to offer them our support. At the request of the family, we won't be releasing any additional details at this time.

"We have also been in touch with law enforcement and expressed our desire to do everything we can to help them as they lead the effort to find Jake. If you have any information that could be helpful in locating Jake, please contact the Elmhurst Police Department at (630) 530-3050. We ask everyone to respect the family's desire for privacy."
    https://simpleflying.com/united-missing-executive/

The Chicago Sun-Times reports that Jake Cefolia has been missing since August 6th, 2020. Mr. Cefolia?s vehicle was found at the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve near Lemont, which is located just outside Chicago. The local Elmhurst Police Department is leading the investigation to find Mr. Cefolia. More than 100 people and police dogs were searching for Mr. Cefolia in the forest preserve on Friday. He was, however, nowhere to be found.

The investigation remains ongoing. ABC 7 Chicago reported that Chief David Peterson of the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County stated that Mr. Cefolia commonly ran in a multi-mile loop at the forest preserve. He thus far has not come in contact with any friends, family members, or authorities.
    Jake Cefolia is the senior vice present of worldwide sales at United Airlines. He was promoted to the part in 2018. As part of his role, he managed hundreds of sales professionals who, in turn, manage various sales programs, services, relationships, revenue with corporations, travel management companies, and distributors around the world. He is a veteran of the aviation industry and has spent his entire career devoted to the field.
    Mr. Cefolia has been with United since 2007. Before his current role, he served as the vice president of sales for the Americas. He oversaw sales for the United States, Canada, and Latin America, as well as the Global Accounts Division. His other previous roles include being the managing director of the Global Accounts Division and vice president of Atlantic and Pacific Sales. He has served as the managing director for United?s Pacific Region based in Hong Kong. His prior airline experience includes sales leadership roles with Northwest Airlines and British Airways.
    Advertisement:

Mr. Cefolia graduated with a degree in management from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. He is 49 years old.

I'm wondering if he is one of the tens of thousands of airline employees that are going to get laid off on Oct 1st when the Cares Act no-furlough restriction expires?

ETA: Global sales? Yeah, he is probably on the chopping board because the international part of the Legacy airlines isn't recovering anytime soon.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 08-15-2020 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I'm wondering if he is one of the tens of thousands of airline employees that are going to get laid off on Oct 1st when the Cares Act no-furlough restriction expires?

ETA: Global sales? Yeah, he is probably on the chopping board because the international part of the Legacy airlines isn't recovering anytime soon.
    Who knows but given how travel and tourism industries had to shut down due to COVID-19 shelter in place orders then its not shocking though. hope for the best but then again sorry if he is gone though.

Sad, if that's what it ends up being. It doesn't look like a geographically difficult area. Relatively flat, trails, 2.5k acres - nothing an experienced runner/hiker would get lost in, so I doubt it's a case of lost/injured.

According to Zillow, the house he is living in has been for sale since 13 June. The price dropped on 3 August, and on 5 August (the day before he disappeared) the status was changed to "Pending Sale." Owners are taking a small hit on the house ($30k). I think he may have been living there alone. Airplane art on the walls, $4k zero-gravity massage chair outside the master bedroom - sounds like an airline executive's house to me. I know realtors stage to a fare thee well, but this house looks half-vacated. Several rooms are empty, others just have a bed and nightstand, etc. One of the bedrooms looks like a kid's room. Maybe he's going through a divorce? The article said the family doesn't want United to say anything beyond the written statement. I assumed they meant wife and kids, but maybe he's single and they mean his parents. Maybe he works so hard he hasn't had time to furnish the house. I don't know, I'm just brain-storming but really hoping he ran off with his lover and is happy and safe.

Here's the house (there is no woman living there, right?):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...4476152_zpid/?
    Last edited by KimTisha; 08-15-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quite the sleuther you are KT!

I would think that if there was a wife they would mention it. I am thinking you are correct in saying "family" is parents.

There is a large percentage of gay workers in the airlines, not just the stereotypical gay flight attendant as a lot of people think. I wondered if that might be the case with him.

I do find it odd overall that the family doesn't want to say anything publicly. That says one of two things to me: 1. they think he is already gone and it's pointless or 2. they think he would be super upset about them saying anything publicly if he is found. I would talk all day to the press if it helped me find my loved one, and I am very private normally and don't like the press overall.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 08-16-2020 at 10:23 AM.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jake-cefolia-0578102

Here is the Linkedin Page for Jake Cefolia. One of his last posts was about in person meetings but and I understand too though.

Quite the sleuther you are KT!
    I'm a trained observer. It's what I do. Or did....
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/598559691032546

Ruh Roh

https://patch.com/illinois/lagrange/...campaign=share

Elmhurst police began investigating Jake Cefolia, the missing United Airlines executive, before he disappeared earlier this month, the city told Patch on Tuesday morning. "We are unable to comment any further on this as it remains an active and ongoing investigation," city spokeswoman Kassondra Schref said in an email.

Schref confirmed the 49-year-old Elmhurst man is still considered missing. She said people will again search for Cefolia on Wednesday at the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve in Lemont, where authorities say his car was found. He was last seen on Aug. 6, according to reports.

Surveillance footage of Cefolia at a gas station was recorded after he disappeared but before his car was found Aug. 8, said David Pederson, police chief for the DuPage County Forest Preserve District. The car was found on the shoulder of a road in the 2,500-acre Waterfall Glen preserve, he said.

https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/72808

Of course suicide is possible, but I am thinking this is a voluntary missing case.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Elmhurst Missing Man 'Fantasized About Going Off Grid': Police

ELMHURST, IL ? The last person to see Jake Cefolia, the missing airline executive from Elmhurst, was his son, Elmhurst police say. His son, who left his father's house the evening of Aug. 6, reported his father was extremely drunk.

Afterward, Cefolia, vice president of worldwide sales for United Airlines, did not answer calls or texts from family. So his ex-wife, Kristine Cefolia, became worried and checked Cefolia's house Aug. 8, police said. His car was not there. A note from Cefolia's co-worker was on the front door. She then alerted police, according to a report.
    According to the report, Kristine Cefolia said her ex-husband suffered no mental illness to her knowledge or took any medication. But she said he might have a drinking problem. She also told police that Cefolia "fantasized about going off the grid," meaning having no electronics or communications with others, the report said.

The co-worker who left the note, Joe Tibble, told police he was at Cefolia's house about 7 p.m., about an hour before Cefolia's son left, according to the report. He said Cefolia told him he broke up with his girlfriend in San Francisco, saying, "It's all Wendy's fault," according to the report. Tibble also told the police that he found it unusual that Cefolia was taking the day off the next day, which was a Friday.
    The police then called Wendy Rodriguez, who reported that she broke up with Cefolia a few weeks before, but Cefolia wanted to get back with her, the report said. Her birthday was Aug. 4, and Cefolia stayed the night.

Rodriguez told police that Cefolia mentioned something about wanting to go into the mountains to be alone. She said Cefolia had been stressed over work and was drinking more than usual, but did not make any concerning statements, according to the report.
    According to the report, his sister made police aware of another of Cefolia's girlfriends, Dina, who said she last communicated with Cefolia about 2:30 p.m. Aug. 6 by text, after which he did not respond to her messages. Dina said Cefolia was set to be at her house for dinner Aug. 8.
    https://patch.com/illinois/elmhurst/...SYyUjtsPCmPVck

Well there you go! BWS found that article that pretty much answered all of our speculation. Airline execs make big bucks. He could have easily put aside money for awhile and used it to disappear, especially if he really did commit a crime and was planning to disappear for awhile.

The fact that his family has asked the airline not to publicize the search tells me a lot.

Agree, it speaks volumes. I wonder what the police were investigating him for?

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Agree, it speaks volumes. I wonder what the police were investigating him for?
    I would love to know...it all just went quiet.

https://www.crimeonline.com/2020/09/...rmed-sighting/

Investigators are continuing to search for a missing United Airlines executive who has not been seen in nearly a month, and new information obtained from police records suggests Jake Cefolia may have been seen after he was captured on gas station surveillance video.

Police records from the missing persons investigation show that detectives interviewed a number of Cefolia’s family members and associates, including his ex-wife — the first to report him missing — his sister, a co-worker, his realtor and friend, and two girlfriends. Some of those interviewed expressed concern that Cefolia had been drinking excessively, and both his ex-wife and one of the girlfriends told police that Cefolia had talked about unplugging and “going off the grid,” as his ex-wife said, but the report does not indicate he had any immediate plans to do this.

Detectives interviewed one of Cefolia’s co-workers, who was reportedly at Cefolia’s home on the evening of August 6. That same evening, Cefolia’s son went to his father’s home for dinner, and reportedly said that Cefolia appeared to be quite drunk.

When Cefolia’s ex-wife went to his home on August 8 to check on Cefolia, after she had been unable to reach him by phone, she found a note left on the door, by the same co-worker who saw him on the evening of August 6. The report does not specify what the note says, and the co-worker has not responded to requests for an interview.

According to the police records, the co-worker told investigators that he checked the United Airlines flight logs on Friday due to Cefolia’s unexpected absence from work. As previously reported, Cefolia had flown to San Francisco earlier in the week to spend time with a girlfriend on her birthday. He traveled there for only one night, and returned on August 5. The police records show that Cefolia and the girlfriend in San Francisco had recently broken up or were in the process of breaking up. The status of their relationship at the time of his disappearance is unclear, but Cefolia is believed to have been dating another woman, who appears to live locally to Elmhurst, and who told police that Cefolia stopped communicating on August 6.

The records also show that Cefolia had contact with police on August 6, two days before he was reported missing. The report includes only a notation about this, and does not include any details about the type of contact.

As CrimeOnline first reported, Cefolia is the subject of an Elmhurst police investigation that began before he went missing. Authorities have not publicly commented on the nature of the criminal investigation, and Cefolia has not been charged with any crimes. A FOIA request for records pertaining to the criminal investigation was denied. A lawyer for the City of Elmhurst wrote in a letter that the “release of any part of the records would interfere with pending or actually and reasonably contemplated law enforcement proceedings.”

The police report shows that a neighbor who lives across the street told detectives that he may have seen Cefolia’s vehicle leaving the driveway at around noon on August 7, more than two hours after Cefolia’s last confirmed sighting at the Elmhurst gas station that morning. The neighbor told police he was “60-70% sure” he saw Cefolia’s car pulling out of the driveway, but could not recall any other specifics, including whether Cefolia appeared to be carrying luggage.

I am more and more convinced that this is a voluntary disappearance.

He is in NAMUS now:https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/72808?nav
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 09-20-2020 at 09:58 AM.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Yep. Sounds like he left town to avoid legal trouble. He might have had someone meet him at the spot where he left his car and left with them thinking the location would throw off the law. He's probably in Mexico right now enjoying a cocktail on the beach.

The other possibility is that he got caught up in some trouble with some not so great people. Depending on why LE was questioning him, it could be connected to gnarly people that wanted him gone after finding out that the police contacted him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Yep. Sounds like he left town to avoid legal trouble. He might have had someone meet him at the spot where he left his car and left with them thinking the location would throw off the law. He's probably in Mexico right now enjoying a cocktail on the beach.

The other possibility is that he got caught up in some trouble with some not so great people. Depending on why LE was questioning him, it could be connected to gnarly people that wanted him gone after finding out that the police contacted him.
    I am more inclined to think insider dealing or embezzlement as to what he was being investigated for...but I could be totally off base.

I am more inclined to think insider dealing or embezzlement as to what he was being investigated for...but I could be totally off base.
    You're probably right. If he did leave on his own accord to start a new life, it's likely that they'll never find him. I wonder why the girlfriend broke up with him.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Could be somewhere right now. It wouldn't be a surprise if he just gone off. Just wish he wouldn't make people guess and worry.

https://www.crimeonline.com/2020/09/...en-identified/

A man found dead of an apparent suicide in Illinois earlier this month is not the missing United Airlines executive last seen in Elmhurst in August.

CrimeOnline has obtained an incident report of an apparent suicide in St. Mary’s Park on September 7. Though we have chosen not to disclose the decedent’s identity, CrimeOnline can confirm it is not Jake Cefolia.

Cefolia, the Senior Vice President of Worldwide Sales at United Airlines, was reported missing from his home in Elmhurst on August 8. Police records indicate Cefolia’s last confirmed sighting was on August 7 at a gas station in Elmhurst, though a neighbor told police he may have seen Cefolia pulling out of his driveway later the same day.

Cefolia’s Land Rover was found on August 8 in a parking lot adjacent to the Waterfall Glenn Preserve.

News reports about the discovery of a deceased male at St. Mary’s Park in Cook County, which is about 30 miles from where Cefolia’s abandoned car was found, prompted speculation about a possible connection to Cefolia’s disappearance. There is no indication that the man found dead on September 7 has any relationship to Cefolia or the missing persons investigation.

A man found dead of an apparent suicide in Illinois earlier this month is not the missing United Airlines executive last seen in Elmhurst in August.

CrimeOnline has obtained an incident report of an apparent suicide in St. Mary’s Park on September 7. Though we have chosen not to disclose the decedent’s identity, CrimeOnline can confirm it is not Jake Cefolia.

Cefolia, the Senior Vice President of Worldwide Sales at United Airlines, was reported missing from his home in Elmhurst on August 8. Police records indicate Cefolia’s last confirmed sighting was on August 7 at a gas station in Elmhurst, though a neighbor told police he may have seen Cefolia pulling out of his driveway later the same day.

Cefolia’s Land Rover was found on August 8 in a parking lot adjacent to the Waterfall Glenn Preserve.

News reports about the discovery of a deceased male at St. Mary’s Park in Cook County, which is about 30 miles from where Cefolia’s abandoned car was found, prompted speculation about a possible connection to Cefolia’s disappearance. There is no indication that the man found dead on September 7 has any relationship to Cefolia or the missing persons investigation.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...swers/2352911/

The call came into DuPage County’s 911 center shortly before 1 pm on Aug. 8.

“I’m filing a missing person report,” said the caller Kristine Cefolia, the ex-wife of United Airlines executive Jake Cefolia. "Nobody's seen him since Thursday and he hasn't reached out to any family members at all."

On the surface, Jake Cefolia seemed to have it all. At age 49, the telegenic United executive was the senior vice president of worldwide sales. He was a divorced father of two who lived in the western suburbs of Elmhurst, Illinois who often spent time with his children.

“He missed his night with the kids. I have someone checking to see if he’s on a flight somewhere,” said Kristine Cefolia to the 911 dispatcher. “Something is absolutely not right.”

Kristine told the Elmhurst police that she became worried and went to check on Jake’s house but discovered no one was home. She also told police that a note from a United co-worker who was also looking for Jake was left on the door.

“I’ve left him multiple text messages, emails, nothing,” Kristine told the 911 dispatcher. “Nobody’s heard from him. He is acting very out of character.”

Nearly 10 hours after the 911 call, the DuPage Forest Preserve Police discovered Jake’s Range Rover parked at the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve in Lemont. They reported no signs of foul play or suicide.

Inside the car authorities found a set of golf clubs, a first-aid kit, a sweatshirt, and a medical mask, according to police reports.

There was no note left by Jake.

Cefolia used to run the trails at Waterfall Glen Park, but a massive search shortly after his disappearance by police, volunteers and canines turned up nothing.

According to police reports, Cefolia’s cell phone and Apple Watch were located back at his house.

“His son reported that he was drunk on the last day he was seen. Extremely drunk,” David Giuliani, a reporter for Patch who retraced Cefolia’s steps in the days before he went missing, says.

This occurred on Aug. 6, two days before Cefolia went missing. Police reports show that Cefolia was selling his house but had missed a meeting with his realtor earlier in that day.

On Aug. 5, three days before his ex-wife filed a missing person report, Cefolia flew back from a visit with his girlfriend in San Francisco. She told police Jake wanted to reconcile after she broke up with him a few weeks before, according to police reports.

But there was something else that might have given police a clue.

“Apparently his ex-wife said he fantasized about going off the grid and his girlfriend said he wanted to go into the mountains…he wanted to leave,” said Giuliani referring to police reports.

Through a Freedom of Information request, NBC5 Investigates obtained a copy of a surveillance video from a Shell station in Elmhurst on Aug. 7, the day before his SUV was discovered.

Police have identified the man in the video as Cefolia filing his tank and say that this was the last purchase made from his Chase credit card. Police reported that he may have been last seen wearing khakis, hiking boots and a baseball cap.

Former United employee Alicia Stasica Bailey said that she never met Cefolia but started a Facebook group when he disappeared.

“I think there’s just so many people out there who genuinely care and want to know he’s okay,” Bailey said. "And there's no answers for them yet."

However, Giuliani thinks some answers could be found in what was going on in Cefolia's life prior to his disappearance.

“Jake Cefolia was in trouble according to the Elmhurst police department. They say he was under investigation when he went missing. I don’t know what it was, but that adds another layer to this,” he said.

A law enforcement source confirms to NBC5 Investigates that he was under investigation but wouldn’t say what for.

Elmhurst police reportedly confirmed the investigation to Giuliani but declined our request for an interview saying in writing that Cefolia had not been charged with a crime.

More than two months after his disappearance authorities clearly know more than they are sharing.

“There are hundreds of people across the country concerned for his wellbeing,” said Bailey. “If he was able to resurface, people would be relieved.”

He's in Mexico either sipping on a Margarita or hanging from a bridge. Either way, he left by his own volition.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    He's in Mexico either sipping on a Margarita or hanging from a bridge. Either way, he left by his own volition.
    My thoughts too, although I am 90% towards sipping on a margarita. These kind of guys like themselves too much for suicide.

Thread Information