Thread: Teen (Winston Ortiz, 18) dies after being set on fire, stabbed in NYC apartment building

Teen (Winston Ortiz, 18) dies after being set on fire, stabbed in NYC apartment building

https://www.gofundme.com/f/winston-ortiz-memorial

https://nypost.com/2020/08/12/teen-i...n-fire-in-nyc/

A teenager was killed Wednesday after being set afire in a Bronx apartment building during a dispute, cops said.

The 18-year-old victim, identified by police as Winston Ortiz, was stabbed three times and then doused with gasoline and set aflame with a match on the fifth floor of 1045 Woodycrest Ave. in Highbridge at about 3 p.m.

Police sources said the suspect entered the building about 10 minutes before Ortiz ' who does not live there ' and then carried out the attack.

Two neighbors in the building doused the flames using buckets of water *before EMTs arrived.

Ortiz was taken to Harlem Hospital, where he later died.

A building resident, a 34-year-old mother, said she was alerted to the grisly scene by a teenage girl screaming in the hallway.

'I step outside. I saw flames,' said the woman, who asked that she not be identified.

'I thought her apartment was on fire. And when I go over there, I saw a guy in flames all over his body.'

The witness and the mother of the screaming girl, who lives on the sixth floor of the building, *grabbed buckets and poured water onto the burning victim.

It's unclear if the teen girl and the victim are acquainted.

The incident left the 34-year-old witness rattled.

'I got very scared because I have my girls here' in the building, she said. 'It's *really concerning.'

The attack came a day after two men were shot on a street corner near the building, cops said.

A 21-year-old man was struck seven times in the shooting at 4:45 p.m. on Tuesday.

The other victim, 37, was shot in the foot, police said.

Both victims were taken to Lincoln Hospital and are expected to recover, authorities said.

It's unclear if the two incidents are connected. No arrests had been made as of Wednesday night.
    Last edited by up2trouble; 08-13-2020 at 01:52 AM.

https://www.pix11.com/news/local-new...vUlLHAoVBLbxIc

A man on Twitter claiming to be Ortiz's brother tweeted late Wednesday that the slain teen's girlfriend had just broken up with him on Tuesday. "I can only assume it was related to that," he wrote.

Police have not confirmed this information or commented on it. There were no immediate arrests.

Police reported that eyewitnesses said they should be looking for an adult male, while police sources told PIX11 they were looking into a potential suspect described as a teen, about 17 years old, last seen wearing all black, a book bag and a surgical mask.

Police reported that eyewitnesses said they should be looking for an adult male, while police sources told PIX11 they were looking into a potential suspect described as a teen, about 17 years old, last seen wearing all black, a book bag and a surgical mask.
    There was a time this would have struck me as odd; now, I'm just pleasantly surprised to see a teen murderer in compliance. What strange times we live in....
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Manslaughter? I guess in the event he claims self defense? I dunno... he had gasoline on him.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

NYC teen set on fire was dating alleged killer’s 14-year-old sister

https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/bronx-...ar-old-sister/

The teenager stabbed and set on fire in the Bronx had recently been dating his alleged killer’s 14-year-old sister, law enforcement sources and the family said Thursday.

Adones Betances — who lives about five blocks from alleged victim Winston Ortiz, 18 — was enraged by the age gap between the two, the sources said.

He’s accused of stabbing Ortiz three times before dousing him with gasoline and lighting him on fire on the fifth floor of a Highbridge building near their homes Wednesday afternoon.

Sources said Bentances,22, walked into the building just 10 minutes before Ortiz as part of a planned attack.

“I still can’t believe it. What goes through your mind to do something like that?,” Ortiz’s younger brother, Wilmer, 17, said outside the family’s apartment on Thursday night.

He confirmed that his brother had been in a relationship with the suspect’s younger sister, but said that she’d ended it Wednesday.

“I’m pretty sure this all had to do with a breakup that he had been dealing with yesterday,” Wilmer said. “This is [his ex-girlfriend’s] older brother we’re talking about.”

The teen said he didn’t remember why the girl broke things off with his brother, but that it was “something about him being too overprotective,” adding, “but I don’t know what that means.”

His brother, a student at Metropolitan Lifehouse Charter School, had been “very emotionally distraught” over the split, Wilmer said.

The teen’s screams around 3 p.m. Wednesday alerted neighbors who doused the flames with buckets of water.

Police said Ortiz was stabbed twice in the back and once in the chest and suffered burns over 90 percent of his body.

The dying teenager identified his alleged killer when cops got to the scene, according to sources — who said Betances casually took his girlfriend out to dinner after the fatal attack.

“No amount of criminal punishment will make up for the fact that he took a life away,” said the victim’s brother. “I’m sad someone felt obligated to do this.”

Betances claimed he was framed following his arrest Thursday. He is being held on murder and manslaughter charges.

The teen said he didn’t remember why the girl broke things off with his brother, but that it was “something about him being too overprotective,” adding, “but I don’t know what that means.”
    It usually means he's a violent, jealous, and possessive jackhole.

Ortiz's brother said he was "emotionally distraught" over the breakup. I wonder if he threatened her?

Thread Information