Thread: 5.1 magnitude earthquake reported in North Carolina, one of largest ever in state

5.1 magnitude earthquake reported in North Carolina, one of largest ever in state

https://www.wistv.com/2020/08/09/did...d-near-sparta/

Damn!!

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - A 5.1 magnitude earthquake was reported near Sparta, North Carolina on Sunday morning, and thousands of people in the Charlotte area felt the remnants of it.

It is one of the largest earthquakes ever reported in the state.

The quake was reported around 8:07 a.m., 2.6. miles away from Sparta. According to the United States Geological Survey, the epicenter was 36.8 miles from Boone and 46.1 miles from Lenoir.

Sparta is in Alleghany County, just east of Ashe County. There have been seven earthquakes around Sparta in the last two days.

USGS officials say at least 25,000 people have reported feeling the earthquake across Charlotte and surrounding areas.

The earthquake was recorded at a depth of 3.7 kilometers. There?s no information on any damage or injuries sustained in this earthquake.

USGS says the largest earthquake in the N.C. area occurred in 1916. As referenced in the United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 1527, in 1916 there was a magnitude 5.2 earthquake, with an intensity of VII (7) on the Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale, near Skyland in Buncombe County.

Moderately damaging earthquakes strike the inland Carolinas every few decades, and smaller earthquakes are felt about once each year or two.

[ 2.4 magnitude earthquake reported near Catawba County ]

USGS?s Aftershock Forecast predicts aftershocks will continue to occur near the earthquake area.

?The USGS advises everyone to be aware of the possibility of aftershocks, especially when in or around vulnerable structures such as unreinforced masonry buildings,? the website reads.

According to the USGS forecast, over the next week there is a 5 percent chance of one or more aftershocks that are larger than magnitude 5.1. If any aftershocks of this magnitude were to happen, it is most likely that as few as zero or as many as two such earthquakes may occur.

It is more likely that there will be smaller earthquakes over the next week.

The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 3 or higher is 57 percent, and it is most likely that as few as zero or as many as 57 such earthquakes may occur in the case that the sequence is re-invigorated by a larger aftershock.

It is likely that there will be smaller earthquakes over the next week, with as few as zero to as many as 57 magnitude 3 or higher aftershocks.

According to the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality, there have been a few strong earthquakes in the N.C. mountain region in the last 100 years.

Since at least 1776, people living inland in North and South Carolina, and in adjacent parts of Georgia and Tennessee, have felt small earthquakes and suffered damage from infrequent larger ones.

?A magnitude 4.0 eastern U.S. earthquake typically can be felt at many places as far as 100 km (60 mi) from where it occurred, and it infrequently causes damage near its source,? according to the USGS. ?A magnitude 5.5 eastern U.S. earthquake usually can be felt as far as 500 km (300 mi) from where it occurred, and sometimes causes damage as far away as 40 km (25 mi).?

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar
    It's 2020-did you expect anything different?

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    It's 2020-did you expect anything different?
    I was expecting my side of the country such as the Bay Area to get hit like this by the Hayward Fault I expect this stuff to happen here. But True though 2020 will remain crazy though.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLanders View Post
    I was expecting my side of the country such as the Bay Area to get hit like this by the Hayward Fault I expect this stuff to happen here. But True though 2020 will remain crazy though.
    Anywhere with mountains has a potential for earthquakes, well that and anywhere they frack.

This was actually the first one I felt since being in NC. As soon as it started I knew exactly what it was. The feeling of an earthquake is weird and like nothing else I've felt before.

Brought back memories of the earthquake in 1989 that damaged SF Bay Bridge. I was living in CA then and still to this day remember how that felt.
    I can be your *ADDICTION* if you wanna get hooked on something!!

Quote Originally Posted by nclexusgirl View Post
    This was actually the first one I felt since being in NC. As soon as it started I knew exactly what it was. The feeling of an earthquake is weird and like nothing else I've felt before.

Brought back memories of the earthquake in 1989 that damaged SF Bay Bridge. I was living in CA then and still to this day remember how that felt.
    Glad you're safe! Did you have any damage?

Damn Hope you are safe after the North Carolina Quake and hope there is no other overdue earthquake fault in your area to worry about.

I'm close to 100 miles away from Sparta so it wasn't strong enough here to cause any damage. The kids slept through it
    I can be your *ADDICTION* if you wanna get hooked on something!!

I find it crazy that whenever earthquakes 5.x and above happen east of Rockies then multiple states get hit by the quake and yes in recent years there are a significant number of people who leave California for retirement and other job reasons or to get away from the San Andreas, Cascadia, Puente Hills and Hayward Faults before they hit are finding out now that other parts of the country have overdue faults too.

Yes New Madrid, Charleston, Virginia and Sparta have overdue faults too but they do not get the same attention as the west coast faults do.

I'm close to 100 miles away from Sparta so it wasn't strong enough here to cause any damage. The kids slept through it
    Glad to hear there was no damage. Earthquakes feel weird and mess with my paradigm - the ground beneath your feet is supposed to be rock solid, it isn't supposed to move under any circumstances. The 5.8 quake of August 2011 near WashDC freaked me out. I was on the 8th floor of a federal office building when it happened, and the swaying and buckling was downright scary. Funny though, I never saw government workers move so fast!

You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Glad to hear there was no damage. Earthquakes feel weird and mess with my paradigm - the ground beneath your feet is supposed to be rock solid, it isn't supposed to move under any circumstances. The 5.8 quake of August 2011 near WashDC freaked me out. I was on the 8th floor of a federal office building when it happened, and the swaying and buckling was downright scary. Funny though, I never saw government workers move so fast!
    Never been in an earthquake, don't want to! That sounds terrifying for me because I have balance and dizzy issues and don't like heights anyway.

Check out videos like this especially the second one at 20:40 of this clip its not only California Residents that have been warned about the next big quake 6.9 and above for 30 years. Even people in New Madrid and yes the Carolinas have been warned the same thing 30 years ago in their lifetimes.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Never been in an earthquake, don't want to! That sounds terrifying for me because I have balance and dizzy issues and don't like heights anyway.
    For lack of a better descriptor, the ground rolls under your feet. It's beyond weird. My cats were totally freaked out when I got home. They literally hid under furniture for two days and for weeks afterward, they were scared to death of the chandeliers in the house. When they entered a room, they would look up at them and run quickly past them, glancing over their shoulders. I imagine the chandeliers must have been swinging like crazy during the quake.

Speaking of cats and earthquakes.... One morning my boy Louie walked into the room growling and howling, with all of his fur puffed up. He just stood there in front of the fireplace, in obvious distress. I'd never seen him do it before, and I couldn't calm him down, he was really stressed. About five minutes later, we got a tremor, followed by another about five minutes after that. Louie didn't calm down until after the second tremor.

I don't think Louie was being an asshole. I think he was trying to warn me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLanders View Post
    Check out videos like this especially the second one at 20:40 of this clip its not only California Residents that have been warned about the next big quake 6.9 and above for 30 years. Even people in New Madrid and yes the Carolinas have been warned the same thing 30 years ago in their lifetimes.
    The second one looks really good. I've added it to my watch later, thanks.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

And Some Whistleblowers who are engineering experts can detect the probability of quakes years before they happen as seen here.

Thread Information