Thread: Christopher Ward (34) died after being bitten by his pet Gila Monster

Christopher Ward (34) died after being bitten by his pet Gila Monster

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...ions-108167589

A Colorado man who was placed on life support after he was bitten by his pet Gila monster died of complications from the desert lizard's venom, an autopsy report obtained by The Associated Press on Friday confirmed.

The report also found that heart and liver problems were significant contributing factors in Christopher Ward's death.

Ward, 34, was taken to a hospital shortly after being bitten by one of his two pet Gila monsters on Feb. 12. His death less than four days later is believed to be the first from a Gila monster in the U.S. in almost a century.

The autopsy, conducted by the Jefferson County Coroner's Office on Feb. 18, said Ward was bitten for four minutes and wavered in and out of consciousness for about two hours before seeking medical attention. He suffered multiple seizures and acute respiratory failure at the hospital.

Ward?s girlfriend handed over the lizard named Winston and another named Potato to an animal control officer and other officers in the Denver suburb of Lakewood the day after the bite. She told police she had heard something that ?didn?t sound right? and entered a room to see Winston latched onto Ward?s hand, according to the animal control officer's report.
    She told officers Ward ?immediately began exhibiting symptoms, vomiting several times and eventually passing out and ceasing to breathe,? according to the report.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    I really hope Potato is the one that bit him. Mostly because "death by potato" is a great headline.

Also Winston sounds to be far too distinguished to bite the hand that feeds him.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

I didnt know Gila monsters were venomous, do hospitals even have that anti venom on hand?

If it latched, it went into his blood stream fast.

I am not a reptile person. My mom has a tiny turtle and I flipped it over to try to find the sex (I dont know what I was doing) and it bit the shit out of my finger. It latched on, and the more I pulled the harder it latched. It took 20 min to get it off.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I didnt know Gila monsters were venomous, do hospitals even have that anti venom on hand?

If it latched, it went into his blood stream fast.

I am not a reptile person. My mom has a tiny turtle and I flipped it over to try to find the sex (I dont know what I was doing) and it bit the shit out of my finger. It latched on, and the more I pulled the harder it latched. It took 20 min to get it off.
    I was curious about this too, so according to the National Zoo
    "Gila monster venom is about as toxic as that of a western diamondback rattlesnake. However, a relatively small amount of venom is introduced in a Gila bite. Gila monsters may hold onto a predator for more than ten minutes. There is no antivenin for Gila bites."
    I will never understand why people want wild animals as pets, still less VENOMOUS wild animals. Just glad the girl friend didn't get unalived trying to help this fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information