Thread: Denver offers $14,000 reward for information about arson house fire that killed Senegalese family (Djibril Diol), (Adja Diol), (Kadidia Diol, 3), (Hassan Diol), (Hawa Beye)

Denver offers $14,000 reward for information about arson house fire that killed Senegalese family (Djibril Diol), (Adja Diol), (Kadidia Diol, 3), (Hassan Diol), (Hawa Beye)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1845370850

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tjsav-fun..._medium=social

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/08/0...update-reward/

Denver police, the Senegalese community and relatives of the family killed Wednesday morning in a Green Valley Ranch house fire pleaded for the public's help Friday, with the department offering a substantial award for assistance solving one the city's most serious arson cases in years.

Police announced the $14,000 award during a Friday afternoon news conference, seeking information into the fire that killed five members of a Senegalese family. They were identified as Djibril Diol, his wife, Adja Diol, and their 3-year-old daughter, Kadidia Diol along with Djibril Diol's sister, Hassan Diol, and her infant daughter, Hawa Beye.

Firefighters responded around 2:40 a.m. Wednesday to a fire raging at the 5312 N. Truckee St. home. They were unable to save the family, but three others living in the house jumped from the second floor of the house and survived without life-threatening injuries. They have not been identified.

Investigators quickly labeled the fire as an arson and on Friday they asked the public for information that could lead to an arrest.

'Beyond the money, what I'm asking for is a heartfelt plea,' Joe Montoya, a Denver police division chief, said. 'I want people to look into their hearts ' and understand that this was a family that was thriving. They were heading the right direction.'

Denver fire and police investigators have not said why they think the fire was suspicious or what motive someone might have for targeting the Diol family. As Muslim advocacy groups this week questioned whether the incident was a hate crime, Montoya said investigators 'don't want to get tunnel vision' on a potential motive.

The fire devastated Colorado's Senegalese community and dozens gathered outside the burned house Wednesday to mourn and watch investigators pick through the house for clues.

At Friday's news conference, Papa Dia, founder of the African Leadership Group, said the African community 'is not used to seeing something like this take place.'

'We consider ourselves part of this society, part of this great nation we call home,' he said. 'And this is a time where you don't want to feel alone.'

The tragedy prompted an outcry of support ' from Mayor Michael Hancock to Senegal's president, Macky Sall, who tweeted that he would be following the investigation from West Africa.

Senegal's consul general, Elhadji Ndao, flew in Thursday from New York to pay his respects.

'People were shocked back in Senegal,' he said. 'There's consternation ' almost anger. These were young people who were known to be peaceful.'

A GoFundMe to help the family pay for funeral expenses and other costs has raised more than $142,000 in two days.

Moussa Diol, whose brother died in the fire, could barely speak as he stepped behind the podium Friday to ask for justice.

'Nobody deserves this,' he said quietly.
    Last edited by up2trouble; 08-07-2020 at 07:10 PM.

This is incredibly sad. He was doing everything right, he had it figured out. What a bright light, he would have made such a difference.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

That picture is terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...fire-108171853

Teen gets 40 years in prison for Denver house fire that killed 5 from Senegal

One of three teenagers charged with starting a Denver house fire that killed five people ? apparently out of revenge for a stolen cellphone that was mistakenly traced to the home ? was sentenced Friday to 40 years in prison.

Gavin Seymour, 19, pleaded guilty in January to one count of second-degree murder for his role in the Aug. 5, 2020, fire that killed five members of a Senegalese family. Denver District Court Judge Karen Brody sentenced him to the maximum possible term he faced, The Denver Post reported.

?This is a tragedy that is, I?m sure for everyone involved, incomprehensible,? Brody said. ?There was a loss of the most innocent of lives.?

Seymour and two other teenagers ? Kevin Bui and Dillon Siebert ? were charged with setting the fire in the middle of the night, killing family members Djibril Diol, 29; Adja Diol, 23; Khadija Diol, 1; Hassan Diol, 25; and 6-month-old Hawa Baye. Three other people escaped by jumping from the second floor of the home.

Siebert, who was 14 at the time of the fire, was 17 when he was sentenced in February 2023 to three years in juvenile detention and seven years in a state prison program for young inmates. Seymour and Bui, who is accused of being the ringleader, were both 16 at the time of the fire. The case against Bui, who faces multiple counts of first-degree murder, is still pending.

Thread Information