Thread: 'Game of Love' Singer Wayne Fontana Dies at 74

'Game of Love' Singer Wayne Fontana Dies at 74

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...singer-dies-74

Wayne Fontana, the 1960s singer who scored a hit with his Manchester group the Mindbenders with 1965's "The Game of Love" has died at age 74.

Fontana's passing was confirmed by management agency Chimes Int'l on behalf of the singer's family in a tweet on Thursday (Aug. 6), which read: "Chimes Int'l on behalf of the family of Wayne Fontana regret to announce he passed away this afternoon at Steppinghill Hospital, Stockport. His long term partner was by his side. known for his 1965 hit 'Game of Love.' Family asks for privacy at this time."

Chimes' Robert Pratt added that Fontana died after "long illness," though the illness was not specified; his is survived by a daughter and two sons.

"He will be sadly missed," Pratt tells Billboard. "Great hits, great entertainer, and a really nice man."

Fontana, born Glyn Geoffrey Ellis on Oct. 28, 1945, in Manchester, England, and derived his stage name from Elvis' legendary drummer, D.J. Fontana. He formed the backing group the Mindbenders in 1963 and after priming the pump with a series of R&B covers, the band scored their biggest hit two years later with "Game." It would be a short-lived affair, though, as Fontana left the group that same year and tried his hand as a solo act.

His only notable chart success was with the 1967 song "Pamela, Pamela," one of several songs written for him by iconic British songwriter and 10cc member Graham Gouldman.

He released a few more singles in 1968 and 1969 -- including "Never an Everyday Thing," "Dayton Ohio 1903," "We're Building a Love and "Charlie Cass," with one of his final single, "The Last Bus Home," released by UK Polydor in 1976, after which he mostly walked away from the music business.

Check out "Game of Love" below.

Oh god. This guy.
    I was named after one of his songs.
    It was a terrible, terrible song.
    Thanks, Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg View Post
    Oh god. This guy.
    I was named after one of his songs.
    It was a terrible, terrible song.
    Thanks, Dad.
    Haha! I know yoooouuuur name!

But "Game of Love" is a great song. It reminds me of being a flower girl in my oldest sister's wedding. At the time, I thought I was surely the cutest flower girl EVER. On hindsight....

[IMG][/IMG]

You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Awww, you were the cutest flower girl ever!

And I was able to narrow her name down to 4 different names. This guy liked to write songs about women's names.

Haha. Let's just say it was one of his more popular songs. It may have been mentioned in the above article

And you WERE the cutest flower girl ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg View Post
    Haha. Let's just say it was one of his more popular songs. It may have been mentioned in the above article
    That's a good name. My name is from an old song too. At least our parents didn't name us after that Grizelda song by The Monkees.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    That's a good name. My name is from an old song too. At least our parents didn't name us after that Grizelda song by The Monkees.
    I was named after that famous cultural icon, KimTisha Novak.

Last edited by KimTisha; 08-08-2020 at 11:06 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information