Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Daisy Coleman from 'Audrie & Daisy' Netflix Documentary Dead at 23 by Suicide

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Not true. It's not like people tell their kids to do heroin cause it's so awesome.

God, I can't even imagine. This is a nightmare for any decent person. I don't get unconditional love. If my kid goes bad I'll put it down.
    This is a half hearted threat in my house. And "because you know better" is the reason why.

I unconditionally love my kids, but it doesn't say anywhere that I have to unconditionally like them, or the shit they do. But what the family of that asshole continues to do makes me wonder if they're actually even human. Fuck them, maybe they'll die in a fiery wreck and instead of using hoses to put out the fire, the firefighters all stand there and watch it burn.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    This is a half hearted threat in my house. And "because you know better" is the reason why.

I unconditionally love my kids, but it doesn't say anywhere that I have to unconditionally like them, or the shit they do. But what the family of that asshole continues to do makes me wonder if they're actually even human. Fuck them, maybe they'll die in a fiery wreck and instead of using hoses to put out the fire, the firefighters all stand there and watch it burn.
    Hahah you still scare me but earlier when I was reading the verdict, I told my boyfriend I hoped the whole town blew up.

Kevansvault, I hear ya!

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    I don't know anyone who abuses heroin who came from a very happy family. That's what I mean. If you are raising a kid to be an entitled asshole, this is the result. Obviously mom never was like hEY RAPE IS OKAY COS YOU'RE JUST BEING YOU but she planted the seed that made him think it was.
    Ugh. So gross. I'm an only child that got told I could do no wrong most of my life, I still never thought I could act with impunity. And the times i did fuck up, i had to deal with it. What is with these brats??
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

you're my favorite psycho.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

In unusual tactic, Miranda rights were read to Daisy Coleman in Maryville case

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/07...da-rights.html

The reading of Miranda rights is a procedure generally reserved for suspected criminals, not their victims.

But according to documents released Friday, the Nodaway County prosecutor did just that with then-15-year-old Daisy Coleman, whose allegations of sexual assault and child endangerment two years ago in Maryville, Mo. — and the lack of legal action that followed —created a national furor.

Multiple lawyers contacted by The Star called the tactic highly unusual, if not unheard of. Many suggested it could have been an effort to intimidate Daisy and her mother during depositions in July 2012. A remaining endangerment charge was still pending against Matthew Barnett, although the related sexual assault charge against the high school senior had been dropped.

Nodaway County Prosecutor Robert Rice, through his office — the door of which proclaims “Victims’ Rights Come First” — declined to comment.

“As a general practice, it is not appropriate to Mirandize someone who is a victim of an alleged crime,” said Cynthia Cordes, who during her career with the U.S. attorney’s office worked with more than 150 victims. “I would say that the last thing we would do is Mirandize a victim if we’re talking to them about the alleged crime.”

Transcripts of the depositions indicate the questioning of Daisy was a tag-team affair, with Rice taking turns with Robert Sundell, the defense attorney who was representing the accused.

The Coleman case sparked outrage in October when The Star detailed the handling of the case, in which Rice first dropped felony sex charges and then the child endangerment misdemeanor. The latter charge stemmed from allegations that Barnett had left Daisy, then 14, incapacitated in front of her home overnight in subfreezing weather.

The attention surrounding the case prompted a call for a review by a special prosecutor, and Jackson County Prosecuting Attorney Jean Peters Baker was appointed to that role. Her investigation resulted in a guilty plea by Barnett to the endangerment charge in January.

It was the records collected by Baker’s office in that review, which were unavailable in Nodaway County to The Star during its initial examination, that were released Friday.

The Miranda warning, heard on countless crime shows, stems from a 1966 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that gives a person being questioned the chance to avoid self-incrimination. The right to remain silent, the warning that anything said can be used in a court of law and the ability to have an attorney are now a deeply rooted part of the American justice system.

Some attorneys said the Miranda reading could theoretically be used by a prosecutor to prompt a witness to tell the truth, but it actually would be a redundant measure, as a deposition is by nature binding. Depositions are taken under oath and with the threat of perjury charges for false testimony.

“I’ve never been in a deposition where anybody has been Mirandized,” said Pat Peters, a former assistant Jackson County prosecutor who now has a private criminal practice. “I haven’t ever heard of that happening before.”

Shortly after the deposition sessions, the prosecutor dropped the last endangerment charge against Barnett, the grandson of a once-prominent Northeast Missouri politician and then a senior at Maryville High School.

The high-profile case dates to January 2012, when Barnett and another football player were charged for their alleged actions during and after an alcohol-infused party at Barnett’s home. A younger teen also was accused of having nonconsensual sex with Daisy’s 13-year-old friend.

The just-opened records — about which Baker’s office declined to comment — include the transcripts from the July 26, 2012, meeting when Barnett’s attorney, Sundell, deposed Daisy and her mother separately with Rice and a court reporter present. Daisy’s mother, however, observed the deposition of the girl.

“There may be questions that may be of an incriminating nature,” Rice began by telling Daisy. “...You understand that you have a right to remain silent; is that correct?”

Asked why an earlier attempt at deposition was aborted, Daisy said she was scared. “It’s just a nerve-racking thing.”

“Intimidation of victims creates an environment in which victims feel they are being held responsible for the crime,” said Angie Blumel, director of advocacy services with the Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault, in an email regarding reading alleged victims their Miranda rights.

“When this occurs, it is not uncommon for victims to decide they no longer feel safe to continue participating in the criminal justice process,” she said. “This is a huge disservice not only to the victim, but also the community.”

Daisy was questioned about embarrassing cellphone traffic, her drinking history, her hazy memory of the night when Barnett had sex with her and the hours in the cold. Much of it seemed far off the point of whether a girl’s safety had been jeopardized when left outside her house.

Rice asked about an incident after the January night at Barnett’s home in which Daisy had burned the name of a boy into her skin.

In her own session, Melinda Coleman stated her daughter had been suicidal since the incident and that one of the names Daisy had burned on her arm was Barnett’s. But earlier, Daisy had said in her own deposition that she had burned in the name of another boy who had stopped seeing her. Coleman explained that her daughter was embarrassed.

Rice then asked Coleman whether she understood that misstatements in a deposition put the state in a difficult position, and she responded, “I do understand. … I don’t think that you probably can try this case now. I think there’s been too many lies.”

Earlier, when asked if she wanted to see Barnett prosecuted, Coleman said, “Not necessarily.” Presented the same question in her deposition, Daisy had responded: “I could care less.”

While the role of a defense attorney is to try to poke holes in an accuser’s story for a possible courtroom defense later, the prosecutor can use such a deposition to get a sense of the strength of a case. Daisy was peppered with 690 questions, nearly 500 of them by Rice, the prosecutor.

Early in the process, Sundell reminded Rice that Rice could interrupt his line of questioning. “If you want to say, ‘Bob, shut up’ or (tell the witness to) not answer, that’s fine.” But Rice never did.

The July depositions followed an aborted effort in May of that year to take the statements of the Colemans and the mother of the younger girl who had been assaulted at the party. Rice had dropped the felony charges without explaining his actions, Coleman said, leaving the two women to distrust the prosecutor.

Later, however, the Colemans decided to forge ahead on the remaining misdemeanor case, and Coleman met with Rice to schedule the July depositions.

Last October, Rice said he was aware of the Colemans’ willingness only after they appeared in a television interview the previous day.

“Until that time,” he said then, “the witnesses never told me they were willing to cooperate and testify after they invoked their Fifth Amendment right in a deposition under oath.”

That statement, however, completely ignored the July depositions.

The endangerment charge was later refiled by Baker during her review of the case. Like Rice earlier, Baker said evidence was insufficient to bring a felony sexual assault charge against Barnett.

In January, Barnett admitted to providing Daisy alcohol and leaving her dangerously incapacitated in the cold. As part of a plea bargain arranged by Baker, he received probation in lieu of a 120-day jail sentence. He also was required to apologize to his victim, refrain from having any contact with the Colemans and pay the victim’s family $1,800 in restitution.

Among the new materials released Friday was Barnett’s videotaped interview with sheriff’s department investigators the morning of the alleged assault. The interview lasted 20 minutes. Barnett initially claimed Daisy had had only a small amount to drink. He later conceded she “chugged” an alcoholic drink, but only after they’d had sex. He said the intercourse was consensual and that Daisy had been “buzzed,” but not drunk, at that point.

Daisy’s July 2012 deposition offered her most detailed recounting of that night. She said she sat down on a couch in the basement’s common area immediately after arriving at the Barnett residence and, over the next five minutes, took the equivalent of seven to eight shots of Smirnoff vodka — three straight from a bottle provided by Barnett, and four or five from a modified shot glass.

It’s the last thing she remembers, she testified in the deposition, before blacking out and waking up in her yard the next morning. Daisy was crying and unable to walk when carried from the Barnett house, said others at the party, including Daisy’s 13-year-old friend.

The 15-year-old boy who assaulted Daisy’s friend spent two weeks in the state’s juvenile justice system before being returned home for treatment. Until Barnett’s plea, that represented the only legal punishment in the Coleman case, which resulted in the bullying of Daisy and eventually prompted the family to move from Maryville to Albany, Mo.

Rice, who is completing his first term as Nodaway County’s prosecutor, has filed for re-election.

The Nodaway County clerk’s office confirmed last week that he is the only candidate to have filed to run

I can't believe this ended up hinging on when she drank alcohol. SHE'S 14.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/newly-relea...ry?id=23164717

Newly Released Documents, Tapes From Maryville Teen Alleged Rape Case Reveal New Details

Newly-released police interrogation tapes and documents tied to a controversial rape allegation case reveal new details about what happened the night when Maryville, Mo., teen Daisy Coleman accused an older high school student of raping her.

Coleman accused Matthew Barnett, then a 17-year-old high school senior and the grandson of a former state representative, of raping her in 2012, and leaving the then-14-year-old drunk and incoherent freshman on her family's front lawn in freezing temperatures.

Barnett, now 19, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of child endangerment this past January.

But just last month, prosecutors released the entire case file, which included interrogation tapes of Barnett talking with a Nodaway County Sheriff's Department investigator.

In the taped interview with police, taken just hours after the alleged assault, Barnett admits to having sex with Coleman but said the two willingly had sex at his house, and then Coleman started drinking in excess afterwards. He also says in the police interview that when he picked Coleman up from her house on the night of Jan. 8, 2012, she appeared "buzzed" but not drunk.

The case file also included July 2012 criminal depositions of Daisy Coleman and her mother, Melinda Coleman, with Nodaway County prosecutor Robert Rice. In Daisy's interview, she admitted to texting with Barnett about "once a month" before the alleged incident and that "sometimes me and my friends would see if he would bring us alcohol." She also indicated that it was possible that she said she would provide him with sexual favors if he brought her alcohol.

On the night of the alleged assault, text messages extracted from Daisy Coleman's phone show that she and Barnett exchanged texts about getting together to party.

"U wanna come drink wit me and chill," wrote Barnett.

"OMFG. Sweeet," replied Coleman, who later wrote, "do you want me to bring alchol [sic]?"

By all accounts, Coleman drank at least five shots of vodka at Barnett's house. But the critical question is when she drank them because Missouri law states that a 14-year-old girl cannot consent to sex if she's incapacitated.

Throughout the investigation, Barnett did not dispute that he and Coleman had sex, but he insisted it was consensual and that Coleman was not drunk at the time. Another boy at the house told police that Coleman drank heavily after her encounter with Barnett.

On the other hand, Daisy Coleman had always maintained that she snuck out of her house with her then-13-year-old friend after consuming alcohol in her home and was picked up by Barnett. Coleman said then she blacked out after drinking too much and accused Barnett of raping her and dropping her off on her front yard.

The identities of alleged sex assault victims are generally not published, but Coleman's family decided to go public with her identity and accusations.

The case divided the community and the family said they were harassed. Coleman was suspended from the cheerleading team after admitting to drinking and said she was bullied at school. Things got so bad that the family said they were forced to move, but that didn't stop the slew of online attacks.

"The stuff on Facebook and Twitter was just unbelievable, so horrible ... saying stuff like, 'Why don't you slit your wrists,'" Melinda Coleman told "20/20" in a January interview.

The case caught national media attention in October 2013 when the Kansas City Star reported on the allegations and Robert Rice's decision to drop charges against Barnett, who was initially charged with felony sex and child endangerment.

The state at the time appointed a special prosecutor to re-investigate the case, which ended in Barnett pleading guilty to the misdemeanor charge on Jan. 9, 2014.

The day after Barnett pleaded guilty, Daisy Coleman's mother Melinda Coleman and her brother Charlie Coleman sat down for an exclusive interview with "20/20," in which Charlie revealed that Daisy did try to commit suicide using pills. She was subsequently hospitalized.

While the family said in the interview that they were disappointed with the outcome of the case, they were glad that Barnett was at least charged with a crime.

"Before, it was absolutely nothing. Everybody thought it was just one big giant lie," Charlie Coleman told "20/20" at the time. "But then, there's also an injustice in it not being able to be the way we wanted. I guess I'm a little disappointed but not discouraged."

Barnett and his attorney maintain that the fact that two independent investigations have cleared him proves that he didn't do anything wrong that night except for leaving Coleman outside in the cold.

Today, Coleman is back at school and told "20/20" she is happier and healthier than ever, but her mother vows she is not done fighting for justice.

"It's not in me to stop fighting," Melinda Coleman told "20/20." "So if ... I need to die from this, then I will, and I'm OK with that."

Bumping because I watched the Netflix documentary on Daisy and Audrie (her thread: http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...posted-online)

Fucking Rage Inducing. Even more so than what was portrayed in the media. BUT it was good at the end to see Daisy regain a somewhat recovered life.

Also, side note, is this cunt who works at the Maryville Real Estate http://www.maryvillemorealestate.net/meetourteam.htm Shirley the dumb bitch making excuses for her rapist son? Eff. You.

ETA the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Bumping because I watched the Netflix documentary on Daisy and Audrie

ETA the trailer
    WORST line from that doc:

Sheriff Darren White: And this is one of the real fatal flaws of our society is that it's always . . . it's always the boys. It's not always the boys. The girls . . . girls have as much culpability in this world as boys do. So, you know, everybody has to take their part of it. And everybody has to do better.

Interviewer: I absolutely agree. In this particular case, though, the crimes were committed by boys.

White: (pause) Were they? (laughs)
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

omg I wanted to throw something at his face that point. The fact that he has two daughters is MIND BOGGLING

Oh yeah this town of worthless lives. Test a nuke on 'em.

Daisy Coleman from 'Audrie & Daisy' Netflix Documentary Dead at 23 by Suicide

https://www.facebook.com/catherine.coleman.378

https://www.instagram.com/youngcattattoos/

https://www.inkedmag.com/original-ne...-daisy-coleman

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/05/daisy...es-by-suicide/

Daisy Coleman -- one of the teenage girls featured in "Audrie & Daisy," the Netflix documentary about multiple rape cases -- has died by suicide ... according to her mother.

Daisy's mom, Melinda, says her daughter took her own life Tuesday night. Her body was discovered after Melinda called the police to do a welfare check.

Melinda says ... "She was my best friend and amazing daughter. I think she had to make make it seem like I could live without her. I can't. I wish I could have taken the pain from her!"

Daisy was 14 years old in January 2012 when she was allegedly raped at a Missouri house party after being plied with alcohol ... though no one was ever convicted.

The 2016 Netflix doc followed Daisy and members of her family as they dealt with the trauma of her alleged assault, and the hostile reaction of their community.

Daisy's mom says, "She never recovered from what those boys did to her and it's just not fair. My baby girl is gone." The family coped with another tragedy just last year when Daisy's younger brother was killed in a car accident.

"Audrie & Daisy" also focused on the sexual assault of Audrie Pott in September 2012 in California. Audrie died by suicide 10 days later.

Following her rape case, Daisy co-founded the organization SafeBAE with the mission of ending sexual assault among middle and high school students and helping survivors. The org says it is devastated by her death and has "suffered an irreplaceable loss."

Daisy was 23.

RIP
    Last edited by up2trouble; 08-05-2020 at 11:27 AM.

Just added the documentary to my watch list. I watched it unfold on Topix, it was absolutely brutal. I think we have a thread here.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

I have been looking for a good doc to watch, will check it out when I get home.

RIP Daisy.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Daisy Coleman of 'Audrie & Daisy' Shot Herself Hours After Wellness Check

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/07/daisy...mother-police/

Daisy Coleman's mother was gravely concerned about her daughter's state of mind shortly before her suicide, but tragically ... even a wellness check couldn't prevent it.

TMZ broke the story ... Daisy -- one of the teenage girls featured in the Netflix documentary "Audrie & Daisy" about multiple rape cases -- took her own life Tuesday night. We've since learned that she died in Lakewood, Colorado.

John Romero, spokesperson for the Lakewood PD, tells us Daisy was at an apartment around 4 PM that day when officers were called to make a wellness check for a "possible suicidal party" at the residence.

As we told you, the person who called this in was Daisy's mom, Melinda. Romero says the police department responded by sending paramedics and agents trained in crisis intervention.

We're told Daisy talked to the agents for over an hour, but she never said anything or gave any indication she wanted to harm herself ... so she was medically cleared, and there was no legal reason to hold her for mental health issues.

Sadly, we’re told police received another call around 8:30 PM from a female friend of Daisy's, reporting that she had shot herself inside the same apartment. Cops say Daisy used a pistol to fire the fatal shot.

Daisy was one of the subjects of the 2016 Netflix doc, which followed her and members of her family as they dealt with the trauma of her alleged sexual assault in January 2012 when she was just 14 years old ... as well as the hostile reaction of her Missouri community.

Daisy was 23.

RIP

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2020...ing_gang_raped
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 08-08-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Daisy was one of the subjects of the 2016 Netflix doc, which followed her and members of her family as they dealt with the trauma of her alleged sexual assault in January 2012 when she was just 14 years old ... as well as the hostile reaction of her Missouri community.
    It pisses me off that they keep referring to this as an "alleged sexual assault." It isn't "alleged," there is video proof of guys having sex with a 14yo girl WHILE SHE'S PASSED OUT!!!
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

So the asshat that filmed didn't get charged with child pornography?!
    I'm sorry I skipped some stuff, but I'm interested in watching the documentary.
    This case is similar to the girl who was raped by Ben Roethlisberger in a "club" in my college town.
    She accused Ben of raping her, but because he's a football star, he was only suspended for a few games, and she had to leave college, because everyone called her a liar and probably threatened her life.
    R.I.P. Daisy, I'm sorry everyone who was supposed to protect you and help you failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    John Romero, spokesperson for the Lakewood PD, tells us Daisy was at an apartment around 4 PM that day when officers were called to make a wellness check for a "possible suicidal party" at the residence.

As we told you, the person who called this in was Daisy's mom, Melinda. Romero says the police department responded by sending paramedics and agents trained in crisis intervention.

We're told Daisy talked to the agents for over an hour, but she never said anything or gave any indication she wanted to harm herself ... so she was medically cleared, and there was no legal reason to hold her for mental health issues.

Sadly, we’re told police received another call around 8:30 PM from a female friend of Daisy's, reporting that she had shot herself inside the same apartment. Cops say Daisy used a pistol to fire the fatal shot.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2020...ing_gang_raped
    I'm not surprised that she didn't give any signs of what she was about to do. She may have been determined to go through with it, and in any case, I'd be very surprised if the woman felt she could ever, ever trust police again.

I'm heartbroken by her death but I know it's only 0.01% of what the people who knew and loved her must be feeling.

I wish there was some chance of a manslaughter conviction against her rapist, but I know the legal system doesn't work like that. We have a legal system, not a justice system.

RIP Daisy, I hope you have found some peace.

I watched the doc and it PISSED me off. The cops obviously didn't give a shit about Daisy and totally failed her.

In the other case where the girl committed suicide after - the interviewed a few of the guys involved and they seriously made me cringe. First, they seemed to be super casual about everything that happened, and didn't seem to care that she took her own life. They just wanted to minimize responsibility (and they only did the interview because they had to as part of their plea). When asked what they learned from everything that happened, one kid goes "I learned that girls gossip more than guys do.....yeah, that's what I learned." Are you fucking kidding me???

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I watched the doc and it PISSED me off. The cops obviously didn't give a shit about Daisy and totally failed her.

In the other case where the girl committed suicide after - the interviewed a few of the guys involved and they seriously made me cringe. First, they seemed to be super casual about everything that happened, and didn't seem to care that she took her own life. They just wanted to minimize responsibility (and they only did the interview because they had to as part of their plea). When asked what they learned from everything that happened, one kid goes "I learned that girls gossip more than guys do.....yeah, that's what I learned." Are you fucking kidding me???

How were you able to watch the doc? I went to watch it and for some reason it is in another language

Quote Originally Posted by WenLeal79 View Post
    How were you able to watch the doc? I went to watch it and for some reason it is in another language
    Was it on Netflix? Maybe try changing your settings and make sure English is selected. I don't know much about Netflix as I don't watch it much...

Im dumb and I couldnt find it on Netflix.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Im dumb and I couldnt find it on Netflix.
    I have Xfinity and just use the search option for my on demand. I type in the title and it finds it, saying it's available on Netflix.

I have no idea how to start up Netflix to search or anything, this is the only way I know how to play something on Netflix

I found it but couldn't watch it. If a movie doesn't hook me in 15 minutes I turn it off, and I hated everything about the way they did this documentary - especially turning the people into comic book characters (for their privacy). I followed this story in real time and I was outraged. It's a compelling story, I just don't like the way they covered it.

Thread Information