Thread: Georgia inmates help save prison guard during heart attack

Georgia inmates help save prison guard during heart attack

https://nypost.com/2020/07/29/georgi...-heart-attack/

Three Georgia inmates helped save a prison guard's life when he suffered a heart attack inside the lockup.

The three detainees at the Gwinnett County Jail leapt into action when they saw Deputy Warren Hobbs acting strangely and then falling to the prison's concrete floor and cracking his head, according to police and reports Tuesday.

Locked in their cells, the prisoners did the only thing they could think of ' raise a ruckus.

'Kinda was like laying back in his chair and just started (making noises),' inmate Mitchell Smalls told Fox News. 'I started hollering and screaming and banging on the door to try to alert everybody to wake up.'

Smalls roused the entire 60-inmate cell block to make noise, which eventually brought Hobbs out of his stupor and allowed him to hit the button that opened up the cell doors.

That's when Smalls and two other inmates, Walter Whitehead and Terry Lovelace, ran out to help the downed deputy, the outlet said.

Rather than make a run for it, Whitehead grabbed a phone and called for help, summoning aid within seconds.

'It scared me,' he said. 'I don't care if it's a police officer or whoever it was. I will do whatever I can to save a man. I don't want anyone to die.'

Hobbs was rushed to a local hospital and is now recovering at home, Fox reported.

The incident left the sheriff's office, and the deputy, feeling a little better about the men inside the lockup.

'We are deeply appreciative to these three inmates for the courage, determination, and kindness they displayed when they came to the rescue of our deputy,' the Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office said on Facebook Tuesday.

'These inmates had no obligation whatsoever to render aid to a bleeding, vulnerable deputy, but they didn't hesitate,' the post said. 'Many people have strong opinions about law enforcement officers and criminals, but this incident clearly illustrates the potential goodness found in both.'

A heartwarming story. We shouldn't be surprised that the inmates would want to help out a fellow human being though. This is a county jail, not Sing Sing. Other than hold-overs, most of the inmates aren't hardened criminals. Most are there for not paying fines and child support, or they're serving weekend DUI sentences.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information