Page 1428 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 428 928 1328 1378 1418 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1438 1478 ... LastLast
Results 35,676 to 35,700 of 37087

Thread: Dumb things that annoy you.

I hate returning things. I have no clue why, but it embarrasses me. I will literally wait till the last minute to return stuff.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I hate returning things. I have no clue why, but it embarrasses me. I will literally wait till the last minute to return stuff.
    I hate returning stuff online. I don't want to have to go to ups, usps, fedex, etc. to drop off a package for return.
    Also, because of coronavirus, I hate stepping foot into enclosed spaces now so it's been a long time that I've bought anything like clothes that may have to be returned.
    Last thing, this rich girl used to make fun of me whenever I made a return. Sorry, my dad isn't rich like yours, bitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

I stayed up to watch the rocket launch last night, scheduled for 1:44am. Delay after delay and the launch was finally re-scheduled for 3:38am. I could barely keep my eyes open during the countdown and then..... the launch was aborted at T-3 seconds.

Disappointment. I has it.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    I stayed up to watch the rocket launch last night, scheduled for 1:44am. Delay after delay and the launch was finally re-scheduled for 3:38am. I could barely keep my eyes open during the countdown and then..... the launch was aborted at T-3 seconds.

Disappointment. I has it.
    The story of my life. We don't have rocket launches, but if there's supposed to be a comet, or shooting stars, a lunar eclipse... I stay up late. Drag the camera out, and watch the clouds roll in. I've given up all hope of seeing anything celestial. Hell I don't even get meteor shelters on my island in Animal Crossings.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    The story of my life. We don't have rocket launches, but if there's supposed to be a comet, or shooting stars, a lunar eclipse... I stay up late. Drag the camera out, and watch the clouds roll in. I've given up all hope of seeing anything celestial. Hell I don't even get meteor shelters on my island in Animal Crossings.
    Hahaha, this is us in Scotland. We live near a Dark Skies Park but every single time we plan to take advantage of it, the clouds roll in.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Hahaha, this is us in Scotland. We live near a Dark Skies Park but every single time we plan to take advantage of it, the clouds roll in.
    You live near one of the best Dark Sky parks in the nation right now, but I doubt you want to go out there with the alligators in the dark.

https://www.darksky.org/our-work/con...ks/bigcypress/

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    You live near one of the best Dark Sky parks in the nation right now, but I doubt you want to go out there with the alligators in the dark.

https://www.darksky.org/our-work/con...ks/bigcypress/
    Yeah, that would be a big fat NO. I'm not afeared of the dark in Scotland. With the exception of Nessie, there are no monsters there.

Geezus, I don't even know where to put this: DTTAM, What Did You Buy Today?, Germaphobes Unite! COVID-19 Pandemic.... WTF.

So, we got an emergency phone call from Edinburgh yesterday morning. Sewage is backing up into our ground-floor flat. We just remodeled it before we left last year. New bathroom, new floors, new carpet, new furniture, paint.... sigh.

This is not the Dumb Thing That Annoys Me, this is life with Victorian plumbing. Shit happens (literally).

DTTAM #1: It took a full day to get an emergency plumber on the scene. Apparently emergency plumbers in the UK don't work on Sunday because.... I dunno, emergencies don't happen on Sundays in the UK??? And in the meantime, my flat is filling with sewage. Aaargh!

DTTAM #2: Plumber arrived Monday morning and cleared the literal logjam. He informed us that "this is happening all over the city." Why? COVID19 of course. That's right, you heard me. I have a flat full of shit because of COVID19. Edinburgh is a city that is full of tourists year-round, and apparently they help keep the Victorian sewage system in tip-top shape; because as I just learned, an under-used sewer system is just as bad as an over-used system, because the waste dries up and causes blockages. So yeah, we're going to blame EVERYTHING on COVID19.

DTTAM #3: Our insurance company's emergency line is unmanned because this is a Bank Holiday* weekend in England.

*What is a "Bank Holiday" you ask? With the exception of Christmas and New Years, it's a "just because" day off of work for no apparent reason. Here's a list of them:

Bank Holiday Calendar
    As in the other countries, the popularity of long holiday weekends in the UK has meant that few Bank Holidays fall on exactly the same dates from one year to the next.

New Year's Day January 1 or the Monday immediately following January 1
    Good Friday
    Easter Monday
    May Bank Holiday First Monday in May
    Spring Bank Holiday Last Monday in May
    Summer Bank Holiday Last Monday in August
    Christmas Day Or the Monday immediately following if Christmas falls on a weekend.
    Boxing Day The day after Christmas, or the Monday following if 26 December falls on a weekend.
    If both December 25 and 26 fall on the weekend, the following Monday and Tuesday are Bank Holidays.

Yeah, that would be a big fat NO. I'm not afeared of the dark in Scotland. With the exception of Nessie, there are no monsters there.
    This website says otherwise. https://www.timberbush-tours.co.uk/n...ttish-folklore

Geezus, I don't even know where to put this: DTTAM, What Did You Buy Today?, Germaphobes Unite! COVID-19 Pandemic.... WTF.

So, we got an emergency phone call from Edinburgh yesterday morning. Sewage is backing up into our ground-floor flat. We just remodeled it before we left last year. New bathroom, new floors, new carpet, new furniture, paint.... sigh.

This is not the Dumb Thing That Annoys Me, this is life with Victorian plumbing. Shit happens (literally).

DTTAM #1: It took a full day to get an emergency plumber on the scene. Apparently emergency plumbers in the UK don't work on Sunday because.... I dunno, emergencies don't happen on Sundays in the UK??? And in the meantime, my flat is filling with sewage. Aaargh!

DTTAM #2: Plumber arrived Monday morning and cleared the literal logjam. He informed us that "this is happening all over the city." Why? COVID19 of course. That's right, you heard me. I have a flat full of shit because of COVID19. Edinburgh is a city that is full of tourists year-round, and apparently they help keep the Victorian sewage system in tip-top shape; because as I just learned, an under-used sewer system is just as bad as an over-used system, because the waste dries up and causes blockages. So yeah, we're going to blame EVERYTHING on COVID19.

DTTAM #3: Our insurance company's emergency line is unmanned because this is a Bank Holiday* weekend in England.

*What is a "Bank Holiday" you ask? With the exception of Christmas and New Years, it's a "just because" day off of work for no apparent reason. Here's a list of them:
    Even the 'annoying' part about the Bank Holiday and emergency plumbers not working on Sunday doesn't fall under the DTTAM category. Shit filling your house... that's waaaaaayyyyy past the annoying stage. I can't even imagine.

I would love to have a house in South America or Mexico that I spent part of the year in (something we've talked about for ages for when we retire) but this is the kind of stuff I worry about, and your house is even in a 1st world country.

Do you know how bad it actually is? I know you have someone that kind of looks after things, have they sent you pics? I am hoping it's not as bad as you fear (or that I am imagining).

I can't even imagine the logistics of doing this from another country...during COVID. I won't even have my rent houses in another state because it's such a pain in the ass to deal with across state lines, I don't even know where I would start with having it in another country.

If you are the ground floor person, can you hold the upstairs person responsible since it's their sewer that is backing up into your house? I don't know how things like that work, all my houses are single story but I am sure there is some kind of rule in insurance about it.

Just ugh overall. Hope it's not as bad as you think and that it can be fixed and cleaned quickly!

ugh that is awful KimT. k

Keep us updated on how its going.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

A penny stock boy bragging to me that he gets rich quick with penny stocks day trading. Umm I ain't interested in that shit I am a blue chip person looking for the dividends.

Beware on Tim Sykes he puts out some crazy penny stock investing ads when I am watching a video on blue chip investing.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    ugh that is awful KimT. k

Keep us updated on how its going.
    Well..... you asked!

Shit filling your house... that's waaaaaayyyyy past the annoying stage. I can't even imagine.

I would love to have a house in South America or Mexico that I spent part of the year in <snip> but this is the kind of stuff I worry about, and your house is even in a 1st world country.

Do you know how bad it actually is? <snip> I am hoping it's not as bad as you fear (or that I am imagining).

I can't even imagine the logistics of doing this from another country...during COVID. <snip>

If you are the ground floor person, can you hold the upstairs person responsible since it's their sewer that is backing up into your house? I don't know how things like that work, all my houses are single story but I am sure there is some kind of rule in insurance about it.

Just ugh overall. Hope it's not as bad as you think and that it can be fixed and cleaned quickly!
    This might not make sense to some people (even most people), but in the grand scheme of things, while shit filling my house is [initial caps/bold] Really Horrible - worse things have happened to me and the people I love. For me, it's a perspective thing with a really low bar.

Maybe I'm too pragmatic, maybe I'm delusional; but when Bad Things happen (as they inevitably will), I view it from a worst case scenario. The worst thing that could have happened with the flat would be a tragedy where someone died. That's huge, it's life-changing. But that didn't happen, so I'm already relieved. The second worst thing would be if the flat was a total loss - a heartbreaking tragedy for sure, and potentially lifestyle-changing, but not the end of the world. That didn't happen either. Now I'm approaching the Bad Thing from a place of gratitude that at least it's not the two worst things that could have happened, and it's now been reduced to a hugely annoying pain in the arse. I'm sure I'll be on here bitching about the insurance company, but the immediate threat has been addressed, we've hired a HazMat team to deal with the clean-up, and we'll hire contractors to replace whatever needs replacing. In the end, it's going to be a hassle and it will most certainly cost us $$$ (insurance or not), but we'll still have our beloved little flat on The Royal Mile, and nobody died (except me a little, inside - when I first heard about it). In many respects, it's better to be in another country when something like this happens because contractors are dealing with it and we're isolated from the immediate horror; but we owe [neighbor] John a really expensive bottle of whisky for this one. Plus.... totally turning it around....
    Hubby won the coin flip on the new carpet last year. He loved it, I hated it - and now I get to replace it after living with it for only one month. So there's that.

Life is too short to let shit - literal shit - get you down. Our flat is 400yo and our little cottage was built in 1738 - after-market Victorian plumbing is the bane of my UK existence. John sent us photos/videos of the damage. Hubby looked at them, but I didn't. I don't want to see it, don't need to see it. First off, the whole germaphobe thing - I'll never get that image out of my mind. Plus, I love that little flat. We fell in love there, we courted there, and married there. We've made a million memories in those four walls. That tiny flat has played a central role in Our Story and it hurts my heart to think of her floors covered with sewage. Looking at those pictures is only going to make it worse. I can't change what happened, the damage is done. I'll let the professionals do their thing and in the meantime, I'm going to start looking at flooring/carpet options. Lemons/Lemonade.

As far as retiring to this kind of life-style, I can't recommend it enough - but it's definitely not for everybody. Both parties have to really want it and you have to be incredibly flexible - like, Gumby-flexible. In a former life, my husband was a Strategic Planner and Logistician among other things. Our tri-annual migrations are planned with military precision over a year in advance; but life happens, and you have to be prepared to roll with the punches. It pays to manage your expectations, too. A vacation is one thing, but living in any other country is not like living in America. There isn't a service industry waiting 24/7 to cater to your every whim whether it's having a pizza delivered at 10pm, getting an emergency plumber on a Bank Holiday weekend, or shopping past noon on Wednesdays (SW Scotland). Life is different and you have to embrace it and accept it, or you're going to find yourself constantly comparing and complaining. My (American) friend allowed a vacation in Germany to be ruined by the fact she couldn't get a traditional bacon and eggs breakfast every morning. Of all the amazing things she did on that trip, all she ever talks about is how Germans don't know how to cook breakfast and she had to go hungry every morning (her choice).

So sorry to hear about your sludge. We've had floods several times in various houses for various reasons, but lucky us, mostly it's been clean water... Water heater leaks, Water line froze and busted... Knocking on every piece of wood I can find... no sewage.

And you're right better to be out of the country. You can pay folks to clean up and not have to deal with the mess and don't have the hassle of finding a place to stay will it happens.

My (American) friend allowed a vacation in Germany to be ruined by the fact she couldn't get a traditional bacon and eggs breakfast every morning. Of all the amazing things she did on that trip, all she ever talks about is how Germans don't know how to cook breakfast and she had to go hungry every morning (her choice).
    I've never understood that. If you want everything to be just the way it is at home... why not stay home? I worry that if I ever found myself somewhere with exotic cuisine I'd be in danger of being considered overly picky (well yeah I am) but as long as I could find some bread, cheese or fresh fruit I wouldn't starve and I wouldn't blame Nepal for not being South Dakota. And as for German food!!! When I was there every morning there was a selection of awesome breads and pastry and I still dream about Sauerbraten for dinner.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I cleaned my glasses with a t-shirt and didn't realize it had something on it, and I scratched the crap out of my glasses.

I cleaned my glasses with a t-shirt and didn't realize it had something on it, and I scratched the crap out of my glasses.
    What was on the shirt that would scratch glass? Beach sand? Were you at the beach rolling around in sand doing things?

Quote Originally Posted by S281Saleen160 View Post
    What was on the shirt that would scratch glass? Beach sand? Were you at the beach rolling around in sand doing things?
    No, I had been grouting a shower and the grout is what scratched it. I thought the shirt was clean, and I picked it up to wipe my glasses, but apparently it had some grout on it.

That sucks. Sorry

No, I had been grouting a shower and the grout is what scratched it. I thought the shirt was clean, and I picked it up to wipe my glasses, but apparently it had some grout on it.
    Get new G's.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    So sorry to hear about your sludge. We've had floods several times in various houses for various reasons, but lucky us, mostly it's been clean water... Water heater leaks, Water line froze and busted... Knocking on every piece of wood I can find... no sewage.

And you're right better to be out of the country. You can pay folks to clean up and not have to deal with the mess and don't have the hassle of finding a place to stay will it happens.

I've never understood that. If you want everything to be just the way it is at home... why not stay home? I worry that if I ever found myself somewhere with exotic cuisine I'd be in danger of being considered overly picky (well yeah I am) but as long as I could find some bread, cheese or fresh fruit I wouldn't starve and I wouldn't blame Nepal for not being South Dakota. And as for German food!!! When I was there every morning there was a selection of awesome breads and pastry and I still dream about Sauerbraten for dinner.
    I was going to say that also. Germany has great bakeries. My husband now have a love for weiner schnitzel. I love currywurst and doner.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    doner.

There's a place called Son's Doner Kebab in Statesboro, Ga. I totally forgot to check it out the one time I was there.
    https://m.facebook.com/TheOfficialSonsDonerKebab

NoooOOOoooOOOooo!

What the heck is doner?

I read it as boner

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

There's a place called Son's Doner Kebab in Statesboro, Ga. I totally forgot to check it out the one time I was there.
    https://m.facebook.com/TheOfficialSonsDonerKebab
    You have made me and hubby a happy person, we will check that out!

ETA: And apparently I love CC too much because I can't rep her for the doner info, but I appreciate it!

NoooOOOoooOOOooo!
    I had to start wearing glasses this time last year, after having lasik around 2000 and being able to see properly for the first time since I was 8. This whole glasses/contacts thing sucks, and I will be the first to admit that I am not good with my glasses. I think I am going to have to get like the playschool kid's glasses that can't be scratched.

My only solace was that I already had an exam scheduled for next week since my prescription has changed a little bit, but I am going to have to suffer through my contacts (dry eye issues and they don't give me good vision) for the next week because of my bonehead mistake.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 09-02-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    What the heck is doner?

I read it as boner

It's a kebab. It's mouthwateringly delicious! We used to have them when we lived in England. We still talk about them 27 years later.

Thread Information