Page 1463 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 463 963 1363 1413 1453 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1473 ... LastLast
Results 36,551 to 36,575 of 37082

Thread: Dumb things that annoy you.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Ireland hasn't figured out what's offensive yet

I bet you can find oriental rugs there too.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    I bet you can find oriental rugs there too.
    You can find those all over Hollywood so that isn't a great PC meter for anywhere. Rugs? They seem to be acceptable. Food?! It really should be "Asian" instead lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

You can find those all over Hollywood so that isn't a great PC meter for anywhere. Rugs? They seem to be acceptable. Food?! It really should be "Asian" instead lol.
    I thought we could no longer call them that, but Googled and it seems to still be acceptable, though not entirely accurate.

I thought we could no longer call them that, but Googled and it seems to still be acceptable, though not entirely accurate.
    I thought it was unacceptable when you were referring to people, but acceptable for items/goods. IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I thought it was unacceptable when you were referring to people, but acceptable for items/goods. IDK.
    Applebee's has their Oriental Chicken salad, so I guess you are right on that.

Applebee's has their Oriental Chicken salad, so I guess you are right on that.
    Okay, this makes sense. I forgot about Oriental Salad which is still used as well. It still struck me as strange because with these you would think "Asian" would fit better.

Okay, this makes sense. I forgot about Oriental Salad which is still used as well. It still struck me as strange because with these you would think "Asian" would fit better.
    I believe the brits also describe people from India and Pakistan as Asian, but Americans really don't, at least I don't... Asian seems reserved here for Japan, China, Korea, Vietnam, etc. Oriental (to me) also appears to be reserved for those countries of origin. But yeah, in describing people and their countries of origin, Oriental has pretty much gone the way of Occidental. I don't feel like Oriental was ever the kind of slur that the N-word was. Gypsy is another of those terms that have been kicked to the curb. It's so hard to keep up. Can I call you and your pals "girls"? My friend is of Norweigan descent, can I call her a weigie? Can she call me a Kraut? And then there are all the really offensive slurs...

But yes, Oriental is a toughie. Not like n-toes, which are now Brazil nuts (a name I never heard until I was well into adulthood)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I believe the brits also describe people from India and Pakistan as Asian, but Americans really don't, at least I don't... Asian seems reserved here for Japan, China, Korea, Vietnam, etc. Oriental (to me) also appears to be reserved for those countries of origin. But yeah, in describing people and their countries of origin, Oriental has pretty much gone the way of Occidental. I don't feel like Oriental was ever the kind of slur that the N-word was. Gypsy is another of those terms that have been kicked to the curb. It's so hard to keep up. Can I call you and your pals "girls"? My friend is of Norweigan descent, can I call her a weigie? Can she call me a Kraut? And then there are all the really offensive slurs...

But yes, Oriental is a toughie. Not like n-toes, which are now Brazil nuts (a name I never heard until I was well into adulthood)
    You're correct that people of Indian descent are considered Asian here. I discovered that rather quickly when we went exploring in "Asian Shops ". I expected all kinds of awesome Chinese or Korean stuff to try and it was all Middle Eastern spices and stuff to make Indian food.

You can't find much by way of real Chinese food here or anything Asian (my Asian, not their Asian), but there are a couple of really good Sushi places in Limerick according to some folks. I'll be the judge of that....

Oh! And they've always been Brazil Nuts to me. I had never heard the N-Toe thing ever in my life until I was in my 40s. Insane.
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 11-18-2022 at 11:47 PM.

Oh! And they've always been Brazil Nuts to me. I had never heard the N-Toe thing ever in my life until I was in my 40s. Insane.
    I'll bet you've always played "enny meenie mineee, mo" with a tiger's toe too!

Of course, I never associated Nword with black people. Our neighbors were "colored"
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

I'll bet you've always played "enny meenie mineee, mo" with a tiger's toe too!

Of course, I never associated Nword with black people. Our neighbors were "colored"
    I did! Although when I got older I heard the other version too and was astonished. Where I grew up, people weren't outwardly racist, but still racist without saying. There weren't many POC in our town to be racist against but at the same time, my Great Uncle used the "N" word without realizing it was even racist because it was common when he grew up at the turn of the century. Once it was explained to him he never used it again, thankfully.

Where you grew up and demographics probably play a part in what was considered acceptable or not.

You're correct that people of Indian descent are considered Asian here. I discovered that rather quickly when we went exploring in "Asian Shops ". I expected all kinds of awesome Chinese or Korean stuff to try and it was all Middle Eastern spices and stuff to make Indian food.

You can't find much by way of real Chinese food here or anything Asian (my Asian, not their Asian), but there are a couple of really good Sushi places in Limerick according to some folks. I'll be the judge of that....

Maybe I just always knew that because I moved there at 18, and that's what they consider themselves, but yeah...Pakistanis and Indians are Asian not Middle Eastern. Best Chinese food I ever had, by far, was in Pakistan. I still think about it 30 years later. There was lots of Chinese food in England too. I just assumed there would be as well in Ireland.

My Grandma called Brazil Nuts that, so I literally had to go google one day to see what they were actually called. This is what you get growing up in the deep south. I am deeply ashamed of it.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-19-2022 at 06:03 AM.

Maybe I just always knew that because I moved there at 18, and that's what they consider themselves, but yeah...Pakistanis and Indians are Asian not Middle Eastern. Best Chinese food I ever had, by far, was in Pakistan. I still think about it 30 years later. There was lots of Chinese food in England too. I just assumed there would be as well in Ireland.

My Grandma called Brazil Nuts that, so I literally had to go google one day to see what they were actually called. This is what you get growing up in the deep south. I am deeply ashamed of it.
    I don't think it has anything to do with "deep south" Things were just different in the 60s and before. I guess you could say we weren't woke. You called someone an Indian Giver if they took something back after letting you use it. My dad called his best friend a Pollack. Friend called him a Kraut.

A story. My Aunt who was born in 1953 was visiting my folks when she was about 10. One of Dad's friends, Willie, was this huge black man, very black, with ebony skin. Football player type, at least a foot taller than my dad. Willie came over, my aunt looked at him, turned and ran to get her sister. There's this man here who is black as a N>>>>. Mom had to set her down and ask her what she thought that meant? But anyway. This little girl who'd never seen a person of color still knew the N word. We used such words gypsy, squaw, and other things that could be used as slurs and are now considered to be for sure, but were just words that were used then.

I don't think it has anything to do with "deep south" Things were just different in the 60s and before. I guess you could say we weren't woke. You called someone an Indian Giver if they took something back after letting you use it. My dad called his best friend a Pollack. Friend called him a Kraut.

A story. My Aunt who was born in 1953 was visiting my folks when she was about 10. One of Dad's friends, Willie, was this huge black man, very black, with ebony skin. Football player type, at least a foot taller than my dad. Willie came over, my aunt looked at him, turned and ran to get her sister. There's this man here who is black as a N>>>>. Mom had to set her down and ask her what she thought that meant? But anyway. This little girl who'd never seen a person of color still knew the N word. We used such words gypsy, squaw, and other things that could be used as slurs and are now considered to be for sure, but were just words that were used then.
    Yeah, we were guilty of "Indian Giver" and "Indian Sunburn" when you twisted people's skin to make it red and burning. We also used "Gypsy" and "Gypping" people out of money. Although that slur was only recently brought to society's attention. I mean, there's still that show "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding". " Easy Peasy Japaneasy" was another one that I didn't realize was bad along with "Rice Rocket" to explain any motorcycle that wasn't a Harley. I learned that one quickly when I moved to L.A.

I've always said that racism is all about intentions. The motivations and intentions behind what you say and do. If you are saying these things and doing these things knowing that it's offensive and to hurt others then that's blatant racism. If you don't know any better and it's never been explained to you, then that's ignorance and you become educated on the matter. There's a big difference between the two.

My uncle didn't have a racist bone in his body, but used "Negroes" until it was explained to him that it was no longer acceptable to use. After that, never again. And I'll never forget the time that he told me when he used to see an old friend of his that was black walk by not to call for the dog. Because the dog's name was "Blacky". I was only about five years old and I couldn't understand why I couldn't call the dog when he walked by. It was my first introduction to racism and I didn't understand until many years later.

SYFY channel has Jigsaw listed as on now but Jumanji is actually playing.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

I dont like how people act all crazy during the holidays plus I stress out about buying people something they will like.

God forbid I have to go to the grocery store to get a few things. I get my cart rammed by 20 carts. Its like the holidays make people unable to manuver a shopping cart or something.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I dont like how people act all crazy during the holidays plus I stress out about buying people something they will like.

God forbid I have to go to the grocery store to get a few things. I get my cart rammed by 20 carts. Its like the holidays make people unable to manuver a shopping cart or something.
    The holidays make people even dickier than they normally are. I'm not a fan.

My new oven has electronic controls on the front and when I am cooking and lean over, or reach above to use the microwave, my stomach inevitably hits it and it beeps at me. I told my husband that my oven is telling me I'm too fat. Sigh.

My new oven has electronic controls on the front and when I am cooking and lean over, or reach above to use the microwave, my stomach inevitably hits it and it beeps at me. I told my husband that my oven is telling me I'm too fat. Sigh.
    I started a fire (kinda) at my house that way. It didnt beep at me. I blamed in on the cats at first, but we all know it was my fupa. my genius husband had his printer on the stove top. My fupa turned the burner on, melted the shit out of the printer and created massive smoke. I screamed, grabbed my cats, and ran outside. My husband was like are we chopped liver

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I started a fire (kinda) at my house that way. It didnt beep at me. I blamed in on the cats at first, but we all know it was my fupa. my genius husband had his printer on the stove top. My fupa turned the burner on, melted the shit out of the printer and created massive smoke. I screamed, grabbed my cats, and ran outside. My husband was like are we chopped liver
    I'm laughing with you, not at you.

I sucumbed to the fear and got rid of my gas stove and bought an induction stove with a convection oven. I feel like I am having to learn how to cook all over again. Then it tells me I'm too fat, so me and the over aren't good friends at this point. Luckily, since it's an induction stove it won't turn on without a pot/pan on the stovetop and I don't keep pots and pans on there when I am not cooking.

Also, the heater came on for the first time this year and the burning smell set off my super sensitive smoke alarms at 3:10am this morning. The first thing I did was jump up and throw all of the dogs out the door, lol.

I'm laughing with you, not at you.

I sucumbed to the fear and got rid of my gas stove and bought an induction stove with a convection oven. I feel like I am having to learn how to cook all over again. Then it tells me I'm too fat, so me and the over aren't good friends at this point. Luckily, since it's an induction stove it won't turn on without a pot/pan on the stovetop and I don't keep pots and pans on there when I am not cooking.

Also, the heater came on for the first time this year and the burning smell set off my super sensitive smoke alarms at 3:10am this morning. The first thing I did was jump up and throw all of the dogs out the door, lol.
    Yeah my new oven has the knobs in the back. I blame my husband for putting his stupid printer there.

Sorry you got such a scare that early in the morning.

Are people this dumb in real life?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAssho...tm_name=iossmf

I think it's a troll post.

I think it's a troll post.
    I hope it is because the stupid is thick on that one.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

I got my monthly subscribe and save orders for Amazon (mostly dog stuff) and the guy stacked the boxes up on the porch and left. As soon as he left I went out and brought them in and opened them. I realized right away that one wasn't mine, so I jumped in my car to chase the delivery guy down because I didn't want him to get in trouble. I found an Amazon delivery truck, but he said he hadn't taken my order but would take the erroneous box back to the warehouse so I gave it to him.

Fast forward to me coming home and looking at my email and seeing that Amazon says they have delivered all of my orders. I realize I am missing a box and it dawns on me that they probably gave my box to someone else when they gave me the wrong box. They show a picture of all of the boxes piled up on my porch though, and say that my order did get delivered and here is the pic to prove it. Arrrrrgggghhhh! They won't even let me argue with them about it until 24 hours have passed. I just want my graham crackers and dog treats, lol.

Moral of the story is no good deed goes unpunished. I should have just held on to the wrong box and then I would have ammunition to fight them with, but I didn't realize that they screwed up my order too.

I got my monthly subscribe and save orders for Amazon (mostly dog stuff) and the guy stacked the boxes up on the porch and left. As soon as he left I went out and brought them in and opened them. I realized right away that one wasn't mine, so I jumped in my car to chase the delivery guy down because I didn't want him to get in trouble. I found an Amazon delivery truck, but he said he hadn't taken my order but would take the erroneous box back to the warehouse so I gave it to him.

Fast forward to me coming home and looking at my email and seeing that Amazon says they have delivered all of my orders. I realize I am missing a box and it dawns on me that they probably gave my box to someone else when they gave me the wrong box. They show a picture of all of the boxes piled up on my porch though, and say that my order did get delivered and here is the pic to prove it. Arrrrrgggghhhh! They won't even let me argue with them about it until 24 hours have passed. I just want my graham crackers and dog treats, lol.

Moral of the story is no good deed goes unpunished. I should have just held on to the wrong box and then I would have ammunition to fight them with, but I didn't realize that they screwed up my order too.
    I am surprised the guy took it back. We had an Amazon driver deliver a package that wasn't ours, he was still in our office when we noticed and told him. He said I can't take it, and explained if he goes back to the van with a box, they think he is stealing it. I thought that was crazy but I'm sure he was just being careful.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information