Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fahim Saleh (33) was found decapitated and dismembered in Lower East Side apartment

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/fa...psy/index.html

(CNN)Fahim Salem, founder and CEO of Gokada, died of multiple stab wounds, New York City's medical examiner said on Thursday.

Saleh, 33, was found dead in his Manhattan's Lower East Side apartment earlier this week with his body dismembered, a law enforcement source told CNN.
    An autopsy by the city's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled Thursday that Saleh died as a result of stab wounds to the neck and torso and found his manner of death to be homicide, a spokesperson told CNN.
    Authorities are still investigating Saleh's death. He was last seen in surveillance video getting into an elevator in his apartment building and a man dressed in all black -- who police believe is Saleh's assailant -- entering the elevator with him, according to the law enforcement official.

The elevator in Saleh's building goes straight into the apartment units there, the source said.

Saleh was the founder and CEO of Gokada, a motorbike-hailing app in Nigeria. His family described him as a "brilliant and innovative mind" in a statement confirming his death.
    "The headlines talk about a crime we still cannot fathom," the statement said. "Fahim is more than what you are reading. He is so much more. His brilliant and innovative mind took everyone who was a part of his world on a journey and he made sure never to leave anyone behind.
    "There are no words or actions to provide any of us comfort except the capture of the person who exhibited nothing short of evil upon our loved one."
    As a high schooler, Saleh founded PrankDial.com, a website for prerecorded prank phone calls that, he wrote in 2018, had generated over $10 million since its start. He continued to build and sell sites throughout his teens and his time at Bentley University.
    Most recently, he founded the venture capital firm Adventure Capital, which invested in ride-sharing start-ups in countries like Bangladesh and Colombia.
    On Medium, where he blogged regularly, he called his founding of Gokada "one of the most out there things" he'd ever done. His limited knowledge of Nigeria's transportation system at first turned off Nigerians he tried to recruit for his start-up.
    In 2019, Gokada raised $5.3 million in seed funding and hired over 800 drivers, but Gokada's business hit an unexpected drawback in February when Lagos state banned commercial motorcycles in the city.
    Saleh filmed a plea on behalf of his employees to lift the ban as the company pivoted to delivery and was working toward launching a boat hailing service, he told CNN in February.

Here is Fahim Saleh on His Youtube Channel doing promos for Prankdial app when he was the CEO.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FahimSaleh/videos

Here is the official Youtube Channel for Saleh

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Boston may be getting the toaster, but I think we need to give something to CuriuosCat for her posts in this thread. She is cracking me up.
    Thank you, thank you very much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

I'm assuming the building had some sort of fire escape the killer used to flee. Would it be internal or external? (I don't know anything about NYC building codes).

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    They've caught the killer. Or a suspect. https://www.pix11.com/news/local-new...eo-sources-say

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lena Norbert View Post
    I'm assuming the building had some sort of fire escape the killer used to flee. Would it be internal or external? (I don't know anything about NYC building codes).
    By the sounds of it, he had a private elevator and also a regular entrance to his apartment. That's the latest trend in luxury city living. Owning a place with its own elevator. The perpetrator went up the elevator with him according to the story. I'm assuming that perhaps the sister might have also had a fob for the elevator and the killer probably fled out the front door and perhaps down the stairs. His sister was probably so traumatized that she didn't realize she has interrupted him. I'm also going to assume that the killer heard the elevator being called and knew someone was coming. Depending on what floor he was on, he would have had ample time to sneak out the front door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Fahim's apartment was on the seventh floor. I'm sure there is an audible warning that someone is accessing the apartment via the elevator. I agree, the killer(s) heard it and scrambled.

But where did the chain saw come from???
    Last edited by KimTisha; 07-17-2020 at 04:26 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Entirely possible.

I found it in my browsing history. I wanted to further explore this comment on an unrelated post on the sister's page (emphasis added):

Just curious about his network, skills and experience.

I recently learned I am related to a Nigerian Prince. I didn't know anything about it until he died and left me his fortune. Must have found me through one of those DNA tests. Still waiting on the final settlement.
    I'm sure if you send him money it will speed up the process.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

'Person of interest' in Fahim Saleh murder is ex-employee

https://nypost.com/2020/07/17/person...s-ex-employee/

The 'person of interest' identified in the vicious murder of tech CEO Fahim Saleh is a former employee who was involved in a financial deal gone bad, sources told The Post Friday.

The new details emerged as police continue to hone in on the 'person of interest' ' described as an ex-worker whose financial agreement with Saleh soured, sources said.

That person is not yet in police custody, sources added.

Saleh was found dead Tuesday in his Lower East Side apartment ' decapitated and dismembered, his limbs stuffed into plastic bags, sources said.

A concerned cousin made the grisly discovery, buzzing up to Saleh's seventh-floor apartment and possibly scaring off the alleged killer.

Saleh was the CEO of Nigerian-based motorcycle ride-hail firm Gokada. The 33-year-old tech whiz was also an investor in Picap, another ride-sharing company in Colombia.

Prior to Gokada, Saleh founded mobile-app developer TapFury, which created popular crank-calling program PrankDial, as well as transportation-focused Pathao in his parents' native country of Bangladesh.

Two years ago, he launched Manhattan venture capital firm Adventure Capital.

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    'Person of interest' in Fahim Saleh murder is ex-employee

https://nypost.com/2020/07/17/person...s-ex-employee/

The 'person of interest' identified in the vicious murder of tech CEO Fahim Saleh is a former employee who was involved in a financial deal gone bad, sources told The Post Friday.

The new details emerged as police continue to hone in on the 'person of interest' ' described as an ex-worker whose financial agreement with Saleh soured, sources said.

That person is not yet in police custody, sources added.

Saleh was found dead Tuesday in his Lower East Side apartment ' decapitated and dismembered, his limbs stuffed into plastic bags, sources said.

A concerned cousin made the grisly discovery, buzzing up to Saleh's seventh-floor apartment and possibly scaring off the alleged killer.

Saleh was the CEO of Nigerian-based motorcycle ride-hail firm Gokada. The 33-year-old tech whiz was also an investor in Picap, another ride-sharing company in Colombia.

Prior to Gokada, Saleh founded mobile-app developer TapFury, which created popular crank-calling program PrankDial, as well as transportation-focused Pathao in his parents' native country of Bangladesh.

Two years ago, he launched Manhattan venture capital firm Adventure Capital.
    Now they're throwing incest into the mix. A cousin found him who is also his sister? Hmmm....

I'm sure if you send him money it will speed up the process.
    I've transferred the required funds and provided all of my banking particulars. I'm sure it will be any day now, and we'll all have a big MDS meet-up. My treat. It's a LOT of $$$, you guise.

You don't keep a chain saw in your apartment? I thought everyone had a chain saw in their apartment, just in case...
    In case a tree sprouts up in your living room? I'm a city girl, I do not own a chainsaw - wouldn't know how to start one - but I bet YOU do because you're all handy and shit.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 07-17-2020 at 07:04 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks

Tyrese Devon Haspil (21) Personal assistant is accused of Killing Fahim Saleh

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...istant-murder/

The 21-year-old personal assistant of Fahim Saleh was arrested Friday in the grisly slaying of the tech investor, an attack police said appeared related to the theft of tens of thousands of dollars.

New York City police Tyrese Devon Haspil attacked Saleh, 33, on Monday at his luxury Manhattan apartment, then dismembered his body a day later with an electric saw and put the remains in trash bags.

Saleh’s sister made the discovery Tuesday, when she went to check after not hearing from him. Police said she may have interrupted Haspil when she buzzed Saleh’s unit from the building’s entry, and suspect he escaped down a service entrance.

The gruesome killing shocked neighbors and the tech and venture capital worlds, where Saleh, a founding partner at Adventure Capital, cultivated a reputation as an energetic, creative businessman who specialized in direct investment in developing nations. His ride-sharing apps in Nigeria, Gokada, and his parents’ native Bangladesh, Pathao, grew to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Fahim Saleh, slain tech CEO, helped bring big tech to the developing world

“Fahim is more than what you are reading,” his family said in a Wednesday statement. “He is so much more. His brilliant and innovative mind took everyone who was a part of his world on a journey and he made sure never to leave anyone behind.”

Saleh recently discovered that Haspil stole tens of thousands of dollars from him, the New York Times reported, citing unnamed law enforcement officials. But instead of reporting the theft to police, Saleh set up a repayment plan for Haspil.

Police say Haspil, dressed in a black three-piece suit, followed Saleh into the key-card secured elevator that led to his seventh-floor apartment and attacked him when the elevator stopped. He disabled Saleh with a Taser, police told the Times, and stabbed him several times in the neck and torso.

Police say Haspil left the apartment to obtain cleaning supplies from Home Depot, then returned to dismember Saleh’s body and erase his own DNA evidence, even using a handheld vacuum to clean the elevator.

Law enforcement officials are expected to reveal more details at a Friday news conference.

I actually own two. They're a lot of fun and kind of cathartic to use. When we do the meet up after you get your Nigerian prince money, I will show you how to use one.

I actually own two. They're a lot of fun and kind of cathartic to use. When we do the meet up after you get your Nigerian prince money, I will show you how to use one.
    Can we carve bears out of tree stumps? Pleeeeeeeze?

And it was his personal assistant! Stole tens of thousands and this guy DOESN'T report him, but allows him to make a repayment plan. And THIS is how he thanks him. Should have turned the little fecker in.

Rest in peace, Fahim. You really were too good for this world....

As reported above, it was the personal assistant.... In the luxury condo..... With the power saw:

As reported above, it was the personal assistant.... In the luxury condo..... With the power saw:

Someone please give her the toaster!

As his PA he would have been well aware of Saleh's schedule and movements...until he was disturbed by the sister. But I'm (still) amazed people think they're going to get away with it, even though of course murderers sometimes do. But it's a lot easier to track down the murderer if they're a close contact of the victim. Of course all this is speculation until it is proven in a court of law, but after many, many years of reading true crime the ones that baffle me the most are the "how did you think you'd get away with it?" ones.

But of course there's the OJ exception.

I said it was money. But wow this is even more than I expected

Why is he only being charged with second degree murder?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lena Norbert View Post
    As his PA he would have been well aware of Saleh's schedule and movements...until he was disturbed by the sister. But I'm (still) amazed people think they're going to get away with it, even though of course murderers sometimes do. But it's a lot easier to track down the murderer if they're a close contact of the victim. Of course all this is speculation until it is proven in a court of law, but after many, many years of reading true crime the ones that baffle me the most are the "how did you think you'd get away with it?" ones.
    Exactly. I'd love to know the particulars, this case was probably 'solved' in a matter of hours (like Travis & Jodi), I'm going to bet everything pointed to him from the beginning. It would have been difficult under ideal circumstances, but after he got interrupted there was no way he could hide his involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Good question! He disabled him with a taser and stabbed him to death. Seems pretty premeditated to me. And the statute (below) is raising more questions than it's answering.

New York Consolidated Laws, Penal Law - PEN ? 125.25 Murder in the second degree

A person is guilty of murder in the second degree when:

1. With intent to cause the death of another person, he causes the death of such person or of a third person;  except that in any prosecution under this subdivision, it is an affirmative defense that:

(a) The defendant acted under the influence of extreme emotional disturbance for which there was a reasonable explanation or excuse, the reasonableness of which is to be determined from the viewpoint of a person in the defendant's situation under the circumstances as the defendant believed them to be.  Nothing contained in this paragraph shall constitute a defense to a prosecution for, or preclude a conviction of, manslaughter in the first degree or any other crime;  or

(b) The defendant's conduct consisted of causing or aiding, without the use of duress or deception, another person to commit suicide.  Nothing contained in this paragraph shall constitute a defense to a prosecution for, or preclude a conviction of, manslaughter in the second degree or any other crime;  or

2. Under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life, he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person, and thereby causes the death of another person;  or

3. Acting either alone or with one or more other persons, he commits or attempts to commit robbery, burglary, kidnapping, arson, rape in the first degree, criminal sexual act in the first degree, sexual abuse in the first degree, aggravated sexual abuse, escape in the first degree, or escape in the second degree, and, in the course of and in furtherance of such crime or of immediate flight therefrom, he, or another participant, if there be any, causes the death of a person other than one of the participants;  except that in any prosecution under this subdivision, in which the defendant was not the only participant in the underlying crime, it is an affirmative defense that the defendant:

(a) Did not commit the homicidal act or in any way solicit, request, command, importune, cause or aid the commission thereof;  and

(b) Was not armed with a deadly weapon, or any instrument, article or substance readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury and of a sort not ordinarily carried in public places by law-abiding persons;  and

(c) Had no reasonable ground to believe that any other participant was armed with such a weapon, instrument, article or substance;  and

(d) Had no reasonable ground to believe that any other participant intended to engage in conduct likely to result in death or serious physical injury;  or

4. Under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life, and being eighteen years old or more the defendant recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of serious physical injury or death to another person less than eleven years old and thereby causes the death of such person;  or

5. Being eighteen years old or more, while in the course of committing rape in the first, second or third degree, criminal sexual act in the first, second or third degree, sexual abuse in the first degree, aggravated sexual abuse in the first, second, third or fourth degree, or incest in the first, second or third degree, against a person less than fourteen years old, he or she intentionally causes the death of such person.

Murder in the second degree is a class A-I felony.
    https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/penal-l...ct-125-25.html

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Yeah, I'm not understanding that either. I get going for a lesser charge of they think they'll have a problem getting a conviction for a higher one, but this case seems pretty cut and dried (no pun intended... Okay, maybe). He was dressed to disguise himself, attacked him with deliberation and even somehow smuggled in a chainsaw to dispose of the body. Seems premeditated AF to me.

https://www.insider.com/fahim-saleh-...-report-2020-7

Fahim Saleh's executive assistant used the tech CEO's credit card to buy balloons two days after prosecutors say he killed him, the New York Post reported, citing security video.

In security footage shared by The Post, 21-year-old Tyrese Haspil was seen buying birthday balloons from a store in the Noho neighborhood of Manhattan on Wednesday, one day after Saleh's body was found, and two days after he was seen getting into his apartment building's elevator with Haspil.

Law-enforcement sources told The Post that Haspil bought the balloons using Saleh's credit card, the paper said.

They told NBC New York that the balloons spelled out "22" and were for Haspil's girlfriend's birthday

The Post reported that other videos it reviewed showed Haspil and a friend going shopping on Wednesday and Thursday while carrying bags from the French brand APC and Christian Louboutin.

Haspil was arrested on Friday and charged with second-degree murder.

NBC New York reported that Haspil was identified by police through ID cards that had fallen in Saleh's apartment.

Haspil was seen on surveillance camera buying a saw and cleaning supplies, according to a criminal complaint that NBC New York said it viewed, and on Tuesday Haspil returned to Saleh's condo to dismember his former boss's body and clean up the grisly scene.

While doing so, Saleh's sister buzzed the apartment, which caused Haspil to flee the building through a different exit.

The New York Times reported on Friday that the motive for the murder may have been financial. Saleh had learned that Haspil had "stolen tens of thousands of dollars from him," though recently he was working on a repayment plan, The Times said, citing police sources.

Haspil is being held without bail. His lawyers have urged the public "to keep an open mind" about the case.

"There is much more to this narrative than the accusations, an arrest by the police, and a charge by the District Attorney," they said in a statement to NBC New York.

Thread Information