Thread: Ohio Army veteran (Richard Rose, 37) who refused to wear face mask dies of COVID-19

Ohio Army veteran (Richard Rose, 37) who refused to wear face mask dies of COVID-19

https://www.facebook.com/richard.rose.31105

https://www.facebook.com/rickrose2007

https://nypost.com/2020/07/13/ohio-a...f-coronavirus/

An Ohio Army vet who refused to wear a face mask because he didn't want to buy into 'that damn hype' died of coronavirus complications on the Fourth of July.

Richard Rose, 37, of Port Clinton, who served for nine years, including two tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, died at his home, according to an online obituary.

Back on April 28, he posted that he was ignoring official recommendations to wear a face mask amid the deadly pandemic.

'Let [me] make this clear,' Rose wrote. 'I'm not buying a f'ing mask. I've made it this far by not buying into that damn hype.'

In the wake of his death, that post has been shared about 18,000 times, as hundreds of commenters mocked him.

'And now you're dead,' one person wrote. 'Bet your family wishes you would've worn a mask''

'Natural selection, RIP,' another posted.

But Nick Conley, who was Rose's friend, told WOIO that the ridicule is uncalled for.

'Rick is getting slaughtered online right now for his decision that he made not to wear a mask and that's not right,' Conley said. 'We should still be compassionate whether we agree with someone's beliefs or not. Someone has passed away and we should have some compassion towards that.'

Rose posted on July 1 that he had been 'very sick the past few days.'

A short time later, he wrote, 'Well. I'm officially under quarantine for the next 14 days. I just tested positive for COVID-19. Sucks because I had just started a new job!'

The next day, he wrote, 'This covid s't sucks! I'm so out of breath just sitting here.'

His last post came a day before his death: a meme with the words, 'When you see me in heaven don't s't yourself you judgmental pricks.'

Conley called it 'horrible that we lost Rick,' adding that 'the even more tragic part of that is who else became infected because of the actions that he chose.'

He added that he hopes Rose's death will serve as a warning to others.

'I know a lot of people that haven't met someone that they know of that has been diagnosed with the virus and I wanted people to see it was real and my hope is that people will see that this does happen and people will be more cautious,' he told the local outlet.

Rose's obituary said he enjoyed social media, online streaming, the paranormal and his two cats, Dale and Tucker. He was a fan of NASCAR, dirt track racing and Georgia Bulldogs football.

Last edited by up2trouble; 07-13-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post

'Rick is getting slaughtered online right now for his decision that he made not to wear a mask and that's not right,' Conley said. 'We should still be compassionate whether we agree with someone's beliefs or not. Someone has passed away and we should have some compassion towards that.'
    And he most likely passed it along to others by not wearing a mask. Beliefs are one thing, but it is selfish to spread germs and refuse to contain your own germs. I have zero compassion for these "never maskers". It's one thing if someone doesn't wear a mask on any given day, but these people who spread the bullshit memes and excuses, and made it a political thing not to wear a mask, are the problem. The same people were so insistent that we 'open it up' (which I supported), but the best way to keep it open is to practice social distancing and wear the mask. I don't understand why they can't see that. If they don't follow the rules everything is going to close back up, and in the meantime more people are going to get sick.

Am I a scaredy cat because I always wear a mask? No. I am just doing all that I can, with what little ammunition we have, to try not to get it or pass it around. I lost a friend to it on Friday. During the spring he always wore a mask. The last couple of times I saw him he wasn't. I still wonder if he had continued wearing the mask religiously if he would be here today.

I hate UGA bandwagon fans. They're mostly white trash idiots. Prime example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    And he most likely passed it along to others by not wearing a mask. Beliefs are one thing, but it is selfish to spread germs and refuse to contain your own germs. I have zero compassion for these "never maskers". It's one thing if someone doesn't wear a mask on any given day, but these people who spread the bullshit memes and excuses, and made it a political thing not to wear a mask, are the problem. The same people were so insistent that we 'open it up' (which I supported), but the best way to keep it open is to practice social distancing and wear the mask. I don't understand why they can't see that. If they don't follow the rules everything is going to close back up, and in the meantime more people are going to get sick.

Am I a scaredy cat because I always wear a mask? No. I am just doing all that I can, with what little ammunition we have, to try not to get it or pass it around. I lost a friend to it on Friday. During the spring he always wore a mask. The last couple of times I saw him he wasn't. I still wonder if he had continued wearing the mask religiously if he would be here today.
    Was this the guy on your committee? I'm sorry for your loss. Did you get your test results back?

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Was this the guy on your committee? I'm sorry for your loss. Did you get your test results back?
    Thank you! Yes he was, and I finally got the results yesterday (2 1/2 weeks later) and they were thankfully negative.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Thank you! Yes he was, and I finally got the results yesterday (2 1/2 weeks later) and they were thankfully negative.
    I'm glad things worked out for you. I know you were worried as I would've been in your shoes.

Committee?

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    Committee?
    It's a Board of directors for a charitable organization in our local area.

Thread Information