Thread: NYC halts Staten Island deer vasectomy program amid budget cuts

NYC halts Staten Island deer vasectomy program amid budget cuts

https://nypost.com/2020/07/07/nyc-ha...d-budget-cuts/

Oh deer.

The city is giving its pricey Staten Island deer vasectomy program the snip for the rest of the year due to Parks Department budget cuts.

The $6.6 million program, now in its fifth year, was designed to trim the borough's randy deer population by sterilizing bucks ' but will now be put on ice until June of next year, the end of the fiscal year, the Staten Island Advance reported.

City officials said they simply can't afford it for now.

'During these unprecedented times, we have been tasked with making difficult decisions especially as it pertains to our budget,' Parks Department spokeswoman Charisse Hill told the outlet.

'We have temporarily placed our successful deer sterilization contract on hold for FY21 along with cutting some deer and other wildlife-related marketing expenses. This totals $700,000.'

The city contracted White Buffalo in 2016 to address the island's abundance of horny deer, which have caused car accidents on the borough's roads.

Initially expected to cost $3.3 million, the price tag ballooned by nearly $1 million after the contractor said it found more deer than it had expected, with more than 2,000 counted.

After three years, White Buffalo was given a new five-year, $2.5 million contract to perform the vasectomies.

As of April, the city said, 93 percent of Staten Island's antlered deer had been sterilized, the Advance said.

The city, which faces a $9 billion shortfall, was forced to make drastic budget cuts in the wake of the coronavirus lockdown that dealt a massive blow to the Big Apple's economy.

'We will continue working with partners as we pursue new ways and funding to reduce the impact of deer on Staten Island,' Hill said.

I just want it on the record that I am appalled by this attack on deer reproductive rights.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    I just want it on the record that I am appalled by this attack on deer reproductive rights.
    I hope they were getting informed consent before doing surgery... also the least they could do now is make condoms available!

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

You guys

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I hope they were getting informed consent before doing surgery... also the least they could do now is make condoms available!
    Those condoms.

Speaking of informed consent though.... I recently listened to an eye-opening podcast (wish I could remember which one) about allowing med students into the room when you're undergoing surgery. TBH, I've never carefully read the patient consent forms. I sign them because I want to get the surgery over with. But apparently it is very common practice to allow med students to perform pelvic exams on female patients while they are under anesthesia, even if the surgery is not gynecological in nature. I was floored. A very small number of states (five, I think?) require that the patient be specifically informed that a pelvic exam will be conducted. They allege the wording on consent forms is vague as to the role of the med students in the patient's treatment. I get the benefit of having med students examine anesthetized patients, and I submit that many women (myself included) would consent if asked. But to lead a patient to believe a group of students are just going to stand around and observe, when they are actually going to put their hands on you..... yeah, not cool. Not cool at all.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Those condoms.

Speaking of informed consent though.... I recently listened to an eye-opening podcast (wish I could remember which one) about allowing med students into the room when you're undergoing surgery. TBH, I've never carefully read the patient consent forms. I sign them because I want to get the surgery over with. But apparently it is very common practice to allow med students to perform pelvic exams on female patients while they are under anesthesia, even if the surgery is not gynecological in nature. I was floored. A very small number of states (five, I think?) require that the patient be specifically informed that a pelvic exam will be conducted. They allege the wording on consent forms is vague as to the role of the med students in the patient's treatment. I get the benefit of having med students examine anesthetized patients, and I submit that many women (myself included) would consent if asked. But to lead a patient to believe a group of students are just going to stand around and observe, when they are actually going to put their hands on you..... yeah, not cool. Not cool at all.
    I think I have an article on that somewhere in the misogyny thread.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I think I have an article on that somewhere in the misogyny thread.
    Ah, I may have followed the link to a podcast! This was definitely an audio, and the journalist interviewed a lot of med students and most of them said they had done it and had seen nothing wrong with it. Really eye-opening.

Thread Information