Thread: Secoriea Turner (8) Killed in the same area where Rayshard Brooks was killed by Atlanta Polce

Secoriea Turner (8) Killed in the same area where Rayshard Brooks was killed by Atlanta Polce

https://www.11alive.com/article/news...ef=exit-recirc

ATLANTA ? Charmaine Turner spoke to haltingly into a microphone as she sat alongside Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms on Sunday.

She told the world about her 8-year-old daughter, Secoreia Turner and what she would have been doing.

"She would have been on TikTok dancing, in her phone, just got finished eating," Turner said.

The pain in her voice was palpable. It had been less than 24 hours since the girl was shot and killed while riding in a car that had exited the Downtown Connector on University Avenue.

"We understand the frustration of Rayshard Brooks. We understand," Turner said. "My baby didn't mean no harm."

The area where Secoreia was shot was only yards from the now-burned out Wendy's restaurant where Rayshard Brooks was killed by Atlanta Police on June 12.

"They say Black Lives Matter. You killed your own this time," said the child's father, Secoriya Williamson. "You killed my baby because she crossed a barrier and made a U-turn? She's a child. She didn't do nothing to nobody."

His pain was also evident.

"She just wanted to get home to see her cousins," he said, putting his head down as he passed the microphone back to the mayor.

Williamson's pain reached the White House. President Trump's press secretary, Kayleigh McEnany on Monday afternoon, quoted his statement at the conclusion of her press conference while chiding the press corps for not asking about the increase in street violence over the holiday weekend in cities like Atlanta and New York.

"Tragic loss of life," McEnany said, in part. "But not one question during the briefing."
    The car that the girl was in with her mother and an adult friend had tried to enter a parking lot at 1238 block of Pryor Road, according to Atlanta Police, when they were confronted by a group of armed persons who had blocked the entrance, police said.

During the confrontation, someone in the group opened fire at the car, hitting it multiple times and hitting Secoreia.

The driver immediately drove to Atlanta Medical Center for help for the little girl, but she passed away at the hospital.

Atlanta City Councilmember Joyce Sheperd said she was deeply hurt and disturbed by the incident.

"That's my district. It hurts my heart, that we have an 8-year-old," she said. "in the car with her mother, and actually get shot."

Gov. Brian Kemp sent a tweet expressing his condolences over Secoriea's death on Sunday evening.

"Our hearts absolutely break for this precious life senselessly taken. Marty, the girls, and I are praying for the Lord?s comfort over Secoriea?s family and loved ones in the face of this tragedy," the governor said, in part.

A $10,000 reward has been offered for information leading to those responsible for the death of 8-year-old Secoriea Turner. Atlanta Police said on Sunday evening.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/us_wo...3505b5971.html

Tyler Perry has been named as one of the people paying funeral expenses for a child killed in Atlanta.

ATLANTA (AP) — Tyler Perry has offered to pay the funeral expenses for an 8-year-old girl who was fatally shot in Atlanta over the weekend, a representative for the actor and filmmaker confirmed Wednesday.

“I’m outraged today because I’d rather be paying for 8-year-old Secoriea Turner’s college than her funeral," Perry said in a statement to People magazine. "When does this end?”

At least 6 children were killed by gun violence across the nation this holiday weekend
    This undated photo shows 8-year-old Secoriea Turner. She was sitting in a car with her mother when gunshots rang out near an interstate in Atlanta.

Secoriea was riding in a Jeep Cherokee with her mother and another adult on Saturday night when they encountered “a makeshift roadblock that was manned by numerous armed individuals,” Atlanta police Lt. Pete Malecki said. When the driver tried to go around the roadblock, shots were fired and the girl was hit, Malecki told reporters at a news conference Tuesday.

Police released a short video Tuesday of an armed man who they described as a person of interest in the girl’s shooting. Malecki said the video comes from a surveillance camera near where Secoriea was shot. It shows a Black man in a white shirt and dark pants carrying an AR-15 rifle with a tan stock and grip.

A reward of up to $20,000 has been offered for information leading to the arrest and indictment of a suspect in the case.

The girl was shot near the Wendy’s restaurant where a Black man, Rayshard Brooks, was killed by a white police officer June 12. The fast food outlet was later burned, and the area has since become a site for frequent demonstrations against police brutality. Perry also paid for Brooks’ funeral last month.

https://www.cbs46.com/news/community...375ec6a64.html

A vigil has taken place over the death of Secoriea Turner

ATLANTA, Ga. (CBS46) -- A vigil was held by family and community members, all remembering an 8-year-old girl whose life was tragically taken in a shooting near the former Wendy's on University Ave. It's the same location where Rayshard Brooks was fatally shot by an Atlanta Police officer.

“Secoriea, Secoriea, Secoriea,” chanted Rev.Timothy McDonald. “Let us pray, we thank you for her beautiful short life."

Secoriea Turner was killed one month ago, still numerous people are passionately calling out to those with information for staying quiet.

“It’s just deeply troubling that people would not step up for this young lady," said the family's attorney Mawuli Mel Davis. "Would not step up for her family, there should be no code of silence."

Julian Conely, 19, has been charged in conjunction with Secoriea’s murder, but police believe there is more than one shooter.

“So we are at war, that’s the second thing brother Davis," said Afemo Omilami of Hosea Helps Feed the Hungry & Homeless. "We are at war. What kind of mentality is it that we don’t be enraged about what happens to our kids."

Community members said it’s not just the ones with guns with blood on their hands.

“If the city would have shutdown activity, especially after the shooting in broad daylight, at that point in time it’s time to shut it down,” said human rights advocate, Marcus Coleman.

Mr. Omilami says the community is pushing for a law in Secoriea’s name to be legislated; it would prohibit an area to be abandoned, leaving people at risk from entering it and being met with tragedy such as the incidents that have taken place on University Ave.
    Also Julian Conely (19) is named as a person of interest in the shooting according to Atlanta Police

https://www.ajc.com/news/2-months-la...PYCOHXJOUN2QQ/

It has been two months since 8-year-old Secoriea Turner was shot and killed while riding in the backseat of an SUV, but investigators — and the little girl’s family — are still searching for answers.

The rising third grader died July 4 after police said up to four people opened fire while manning a “makeshift roadblock” on University Avenue in south Atlanta. The barricade was set up across the street from the now-demolished Wendy’s where Rayshard Brooks was fatally shot by an Atlanta police officer less than a month earlier.

Though investigators said multiple suspects were involved, only one person — 19-year-old Julian Conley — has been arrested.

Conley, who remains behind bars on a murder charge and two counts of aggravated assault, said he witnessed the shooting but denies firing into the Jeep Cherokee where Secoriea was sitting.

His attorney, Jackie Patterson, said Conley told him a man driving the SUV went through the barricade and struck a man who was armed with a rifle.

“And when that person fell to the ground, the person got up and started firing at that vehicle,” Patterson said.

Explore
    Suspect in Secoriea Turner’s death turns himself in to police
    Police, however, said the SUV was shot at least eight times while attempting to get around the makeshift barricade.

“The driver of the (Cherokee) attempted to go around the roadblock, at which point that vehicle was immediately met by gunfire,” Atlanta police Lt. Pete Malecki said during a July news conference.

Secoriea’s mother, Charmaine Turner, told the AJC she heard her daughter scream and call out for her.

“I just felt her trying to hold on, but she couldn’t,” she said previously. “Nobody helped me. I prayed to God and He didn’t help me. My baby died in my arms.”

Atlanta police have remained relatively tight-lipped about their investigation, which is one of 96 murder cases the department has opened since the beginning of 2020, according to crime data released Thursday.

“While we understand the interest, we must be careful of the information released while this investigation remains open and very active,” the department said in an emailed statement. “Right now, everyone wants to know what exactly happened and why, but we need to focus on ensuring there is justice in this case and cannot jeopardize that by providing details to the public in advance of the court proceedings. At this time, we have no plans to provide updated information on this case.”

Explore
    PHOTOS: Secoriea Turner's funeral
    Last month, Secoriea’s family put up two billboards near the site of the shooting asking anyone with information on the case to come forward. The signs include a photo of the 8-year-old and read, “My name is Secoriea Turner. I was 8 years old when I was murdered. Protecting children is not snitching. Help my family identify who killed me.”

The family of Secoriea Turner put up two billboards along University Avenue where she was killed on July 4. They're asking anyone with information on her death to come forward.
    Credit: Channel 2 Action News

In addition, Secoriea’s family is offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case.

“If you know something, say something,” her father, Secoriey Williamson, said previously. “Do what’s right. You will not be labeled as a snitch. You’ll be labeled as a hero.”

Thread Information